T-Mobile Unlimited GPRS - IT'S OFFICIAL!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Syphon Filter
If the "Pro" version isn't much more expensive and allows laptop use I'll go for that instead.

EDIT:

Looking at mobiholics there is a mention of the "Pro" version for "Laptops and PDAs" which is quoted as £8.50 a month and with higher upload bandwidth.

Can anyone confirm/correct that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that sounds top notch...for the extra £1 I'd go for that...

Guest travisb

Same here, I work away from home most weeks, and to be able to use the phone as a modem with the laptop is dam useful.

Orange is just too expensive (esp as work aren't paying) at the moment.

Guest Confucious
Now that sounds top notch...for the extra £1 I'd go for that...

So would I if it's only a squid extra - but that's just rumour at the moment. If it' much more than that then I'd still be very happy with the £7.50 option.

Guest PayableOnDeath
Existing Web-N-Walk customers will need to move to a Flext 18 month plan equivilant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just so am 100% right on my thinking, I allready have WnW, to get unlimited internet i need to change my plan :shock: , why not just upgrade existing WnW customers to unlimited? ;)

as i am on the self serve one, its going to cost me 50p/min to ring CS to change the plan just to get the new unlimted WnW?

edit: just thought if i change then am going to lose the 1/2 price line rental too wont i?

Edited by PayableOnDeath

Guest Pagemakers

I am surprised that T-mobile could know if you are connecting with a laptop or using VOIP or streaming media.

I once put that question to a Vodafone technician and he said they could not tell. All they knew is that you were using data.

hang on

no file sharing? huh? well whats the point on having an unlimited tariff? makes NO sense what so ever!!!

what happens if we need to share files on the move?

as well as this there is no way you can really tell what type of data you are transmitting - its just data period unless they tap in which would be in breach of the law/privacy

Edited by Tech

Guest Fleabag

I tell you browsing on a Compact can get real tiresome when you have to read and respond!

Xenzo1990 I don't agree. T is generally very up front on conditions, all you have to do is ask someone and they can look it up, or check them online yourself. To start the old 'the corp is evil' chant won't hold much water. At the end of the day it's your responsibility to check the terms out - you didn't even have to go to the effort, you heard about them here. Now you can make an informed decision. This is great for the customer and the company, it is a good relationship to begin with! Like I have said, T-Mobile are not advertising this as unlimited bandwidth, it is being advertised as unlimited internet, with the subtext of unlimited email and browsing. That clearly describes what your unlimited element is. It is not unlimited bandwidth. ;)

It would be great to be able to use a laptop with the connection (I don't even have one but I think it would be a fab idea). Hopefully a package will be worked out for users with these requirements. Maybe not, only time will tell. The market is always changing and you'd be very surprised how customer centric the whole thing is becoming. In a world where there's always a cheaper deal, a company must ensure they offer the best (better) deal. I think T can possibly deliver on this, the whole new range of tarrifs isn't intended to be a con - they are an exchange of loyalty for service! I'd encourage anyone to send feedback to their network, it does get read and it may not immediately make a difference but your ideas are considered at some level.

Many users on a Web N Walk plan will likely be better off on a Flext with WNW. I appreciate you may lose a half price discount - but you agreed to that when you took the discount. You can even stay on your plan as is, they may even allow the bundle on your plan. If you have Self Serve you can change your plan on-line, and you can remove your Self Serve if you like. You can't gripe about having to call CS at a cost, nomatter the reason, you agreed to that too - that is what it's all about. We'll have to wait until April 1st to see what happens! I think it's a great step in telephony, and that is it... A step only! I'm sure there's lots more to come in time. I fancy an MDA Pro myself. ;)

Guest Swampie
Xenso - not sure about the other issues but the battery issue is the same for any L-Ion battery, not the phones fault.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope - it's a design fault of the phone/charging circuit.

Yes - L-Ion batteries cannot be run completely flat, and so have protection circuits in them to stop this. However, running a device flat (ie. until it auto powers off) is a day to day event. This event should not cause the device to stop charging via USB or other ways - and certainly should not require people to strip off a USB plug and 'jump start' the battery.

A properly designed protection circuit in the phone would ensure that the device powers off before it gets to the problem we're seeing.

My laptop doesn't do this. My SPV C500 doesn't do this. None of my other devices with L-Ion batteries do it. It is not a issue for any L-Ion device I have ever encountered - they all power down at a charge level which means the device can power on normally when charging.

Most likely, someone (HTC/Network ROM editor?) tried to extend the life of the device and set the power down threshold a little too low.

Wasn't sure were else to post this, but since this is kind of about T-Mobile tarriff options, what do all these do/mean?

Full Directory Listing £0.00 Add (List your number?)

55 Roaming Minutes £0.00 Add

Charge to account Bar £0.00 Add

Who Called Bar £0.00 Add

30 Roaming Minutes £0.00 Add

Video Calling £0.00 Add (3G related?)

90 Roaming Text Bundle £0.00 Add

35 Roaming Text Bundle £0.00 Add

I'm on some wierd t-mobile employee tariff so i get everything half price for life and all these other wierd offers for free/cheap. Was wondering if any of these are worth turning on?

A bit more on topic, i skimmed through all the pages and noticed a few people talking about things like p2p and voip.

With GPRS you don't have a public ip address, so alot of those things won't work. VoIP can traverse NAT if you're talking about SIP, h323/245 has major problems tho.

Basically with GPRS you're behind a nat you have no control over. Having said that you could always vpn to a network where that's not the case, like your home network. The downside is the VPN would use data even when your not transfering data so your mobile would have to remain GPRS-attached all the time.

Edited by kam_

I am surprised that T-mobile could know if you are connecting with a laptop or using VOIP or streaming media.

I once put that question to a Vodafone technician and he said they could not tell. All they knew is that you were using data.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Technically they could know if they had a packet inspection firewall, but t-mobile don't!

Really they won't care about if you are using VoIP because a VoIP connection isn't sustainable over GPRS, especially with iLBC and the other loyalty free codecs most free VoIP apps use. You need a codec which uses 1 timeslot to be the most efective.

Also since a timeslot is aproximately 20ms, you'll need to be granted a timeslot for the entirety of your call. This could be a big problem if this plan gets popular!

I'm using a SIP client on my SP5 connecting to a bunch of SIP servers for which i have configuration access. Even at G723, a GPRS VoIP connection isn't sustainable in built up areas. The only thing that works is WiFi, but that kills so much battery and needs at least a 50% signal, which makes it kind of useless for me.

Incidentally if you do use SIP these guys offer free calls to a bunch of destinations. Yeah we've all seen them all over the net, but this one offers sip access - you don't have to use their stupid client. As usual you have to put 10 euro's on your account to get free calls (which expired only if you don't make a call for 120 days). I can confirm it does work and i'm using it on my SP5 with GSM and G711 codecs. They seem to support G723,G729,G711, G726 and GSM.

http://www.sipdiscount.com/en/index.html

Edited by kam_

Guest cfsnatch

Just spoke to T-Mobile CS...they said to me that there is NO limit for handset based BROWSING and that the fair use only comes in if they detect the handset being used as a modem, for P2P, VoIP or video streaming...

Edited by cfsnatch

Guest ccsnet
Just spoke to T-Mobile CS...they said to me that there is NO limit for handset based BROWSING and that the fair use only comes in if they detect the handset being used as a modem, for P2P, VoIP or video streaming...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this really needs some one to go through the rules... 2Gb streaming would keep me happy.

Re modem access - has any one thought this may actually refer to data via the PSTN network ie when using bog standard dial up to say a complany network rather than over the net and a VPN... just thought I'd mention because I'm not aware of any way that it could be detected other wise.... and if it can then a proxy server on the hand set would sort that out ( not that I am suggesting it :roll: ;) )

Terran

Guest Pagemakers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...and did they CONFIRM what that limit was?

Is the tarris available now?

Guest cfsnatch
...and did they CONFIRM what that limit was?

Is the tarris available now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no, as I said above, I was told there was no usage limit - the fair usage policy apparently only stipulates that you can't use it in the ways mentioned (P2P, VoIP etc)

nope, she was going to put it through for me from my next billing date - I said I wanted it before then...she came back to the phone and said it's only on the system for information at the moment and couldn't put it through now anyway...if I call back on the 1st they should be able to do it then...

Guest shadamehr
I didn't think these tariffs started until April 1

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pagemakers, as per various posts in this admittedly lengthy thread now, ANYONE can self add the bundle to an existing account, or a new one you take out BEFORE 1st April, via the "self-care" feature of the online "My T-Mobile" account management pages.

Guest cfsnatch
ANYONE can self add the bundle to an existing account, or a new one you take out BEFORE 1st April, via the "self-care" feature of the online "My T-Mobile" account management pages.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went in earlier and saw this option, but I've never made changes like this online before - will the change take immediate effect, or will it go in at your next billing date? (ie does this circumvent the call centres problem that they can't put this on your account till 1 April?)

Pagemakers, no - she told me that the fair usage policy does not mention any fair use limits for browsing as long as it is just browsing and done on a handset...but it could just be that she was misinformed (she did go away to speak to someone else).

Edited by cfsnatch

Guest Confucious

If anyone can reach 1Gb on a handset without streaming then they must be doing something very strange!

Streaming is not allowed, nor is P2P file sharing or VOIP. I suppose you could try downloading a full size video file but why?

To all intense and purposes 1Gb is unlimited.

Guest Pagemakers

Crazy - Just spent 20 mins on the phone t-mobile and despite being put on hold half a dozen times they could offer no information whatsoever about the new tariffs. They didn't even know they existed.

Edited by Pagemakers

If they were that worried about data and VoIP (which definately doesn't work properly over GPRS) they would just block all the non common ports. Granted you can proxy and vpn, but that would take care of the majority of people.

Their main concearn is congesting the GPRS network, which really isn't designed to handle the number of users and bancdwidth that this offer could result in,

I think its pretty obvious if you approach GB's of data that you're not doing it from your handset. Like all their fair use policies they don't care unless you're exceeding it consitantly.

If this really becomes that much of a problem you can expect them to put a decent inspection firewall after the GGSN, but untill then i don't expect this will be detected in the next 6 months at least.

Edited by kam_

Guest redvers

Despite what some other people have posted, if you get a new connection on Flext + Web 'n' Walk, the whole bundle counts as the price plan so you get the discount on the data bundle, too. Additionally, although the data bundle has been mooted as an add-on for the Relax and Flext plans, I don't think there is anything stopping you from adding it to U-Fix, old-style Relax plans, etc.

Guest shadamehr
Despite what some other people have posted, if you get a new connection on Flext + Web 'n' Walk, the whole bundle counts as the price plan so you get the discount on the data bundle, too. Additionally, although the data bundle has been mooted as an add-on for the Relax and Flext plans, I don't think there is anything stopping you from adding it to U-Fix, old-style Relax plans, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On what authority or basis do you have that mate...?

We hope your right, but like you say yourself, this is not what has been said by people on here, including T Retentions staff...

It makes all the difference, as I will WAIT if this is true, as opposed to plunging before the weekend...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.