WM5torage

Guest Ingvarr

Guest Twilight.Cruiser

Hi everybody,

I'm a owner of a new O2 Xda Phone (with german Windows Mobile 5 for Smartphones), wich should be based on the HTC Tornado Tempo (which again should be the same like the QTek 8300).

WM5torage sounds great and seems to fit exactly my needs - but unfortunately I'm unable to install!

Maybe my problem is only because I'm a newbe in Windows Mobile...!?

By trying to install the WM5torage.CAB file (i. e. I've transferred it to my mobile using ActiveSync), after selecting the mobiole device for installation Windows Mobile tells me that the installation failed because of the absence of the necessary system rights!

I've guessed that the reason could be caused by the missing registry value "0000101b": dword = 1 (in HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies). So I've tried to add this value with the "Mobile Registry Editor" (by remote) as well as the "PHM Registry Editor" (on the smartphone itself), but found that I'm neither able to add this value, nor to change any other value that can be found in HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies (but some other values absolutely can be changed, for example HKCU\ControlPanel\Backlight\LightDetectOn)!

I guess that also the necessary system rights are missing as well...!?

So is there any possibility to gain the necessary system rights and change/add the registry key(s)?

Thanx a lot for your help in advance!!

Norbert

Guest Twilight.Cruiser
Hi everybody,

[...]

By trying to install the WM5torage.CAB file (i. e. I've transferred it to my mobile using ActiveSync), after selecting the mobiole device for installation Windows Mobile tells me that the installation failed because of the absence of the necessary system rights!

[...] I've tried to add this value with the "Mobile Registry Editor" (by remote) as well as the "PHM Registry Editor" (on the smartphone itself), but found that I'm neither able to add this [registry] value, nor to change any other [registry] value [...]

So is there any possibility to gain the necessary system rights and change/add the registry key(s)?

Thanx to Ingvarr for his quick reply with the ultimate, absolutely useful, helping hint that solved my problem! :)

It is really neccessary to use the HTC-signed "RegeditSTG" for editing the registry! The "Mobile Registry Editor" is still pretty nice because of the possibility to edit the registry by using the convient desktop PC with his mouse and keyboard (and last not least the possibility to restart the PC's ActiveSync), but forget about the "PHM Registry Editor 0.70"...!

Using the "RegeditSTG" it was no problem to add the necessary registry value "0000101b": dword = 1 (in HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies). After that, the installation worked as well as WM5torage itself...

...what a great and useful tool!!! Thanx Igor!!! :D

Now I'm in (USB-)Heaven...! :)

B) ...maybe this reply also will be useful for other users, especially WM5SM newbies like me... ;)

Guest swivel
Thanx to Ingvarr for his quick reply with the ultimate, absolutely useful, helping hint that solved my problem! :)

It is really neccessary to use the HTC-signed "RegeditSTG" for editing the registry! The "Mobile Registry Editor" is still pretty nice because of the possibility to edit the registry by using the convient desktop PC with his mouse and keyboard (and last not least the possibility to restart the PC's ActiveSync), but forget about the "PHM Registry Editor 0.70"...!

Using the "RegeditSTG" it was no problem to add the necessary registry value "0000101b": dword = 1 (in HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies). After that, the installation worked as well as WM5torage itself...

...what a great and useful tool!!! Thanx Igor!!! :D

Now I'm in (USB-)Heaven...! :)

B) ...maybe this reply also will be useful for other users, especially WM5SM newbies like me... ;)

Wow. Calm down.

Guest greasyp

Hey Ingvarr, is there any chance we could see the source code? I'd like to try and get this working with my Powerbook running Tiger, I think if I could tweak with the USB communication a bit I could get it working. Thanks!

Guest Brins0

This little tool is amazing, I love it's simplicity. It would be nice if it fully supported QVGA on PPCs. Would also be nice if you could use all the LEDs on the device, including the multicoloured ones (Blue/Green and Green/Orange/Red on my XDA Mini S). Otherwise, it's amazing, and works fine.

One quick question however. If you have the motor spinning upon read and write, will it damage it, with it keep starting and stopping? I know the LEDs are fine with flickering tho, so I use them.

Also, is this the only application you have made, or are there other useful ones too, and do you have a website you show updates on other than this one?

Guest Tech

would be nice if you could integrate this with my WMP Remote app.

would be nice if you could do a "redirect" from USB to bluetooth so you can pretty much "map" the flash drive via bluetooth. Alot of benefits I would say.

I havent used it but would be nice to have that!

Guest Ingvarr

Iam not sure what you mean about "fully supporting QVGA on PPC", it looks on QVGA PPCs just fine?

I want other LEDs to blink too, hovewer hardware devs choose not to make them application-controllable.

I dont think that vibrator will be damaged by using it for indication. Of course, this would depend on particular model...

You can see all my applications&stuff this way

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=dscrip...d=165239&type=0

I dont think there is a Bluetooth protocol for "direct" export of disk drive similar to USB Mass Storage. All I can think of is Bluetooth FTP Profile, hovewer, to implement entirely different application/driver will need to be written (not even sure if this possible without actually altering firmware).

Guest wigisan

Hi!

Does it actually work on HTC/feeler (imate sp3i) and WM5?. Has anyone made it work on this phone?

Thanks a lot

Edited by wigisan

Guest Ingvarr

I dont think so, and its even written in the program guide.

Apparently usb hardware driver in that leaked WM5 build is not compatible with Mass Storage protocol.

Guest fashionista
Hey Ingvarr, is there any chance we could see the source code? I'd like to try and get this working with my Powerbook running Tiger, I think if I could tweak with the USB communication a bit I could get it working. Thanks!

This works flawlessly on my Powerbook, just downloaded, installed and started it up. I Activesync over the air with my Exchange server so there's no problem with that being disabled.

The only minor negatives: Shortcut does not appear in the Programs folder and I have to 'Activate' and then plug the USB cable in or it doesnt mount to my desktop. Both so small as to really be inconsequential.

This is a phenomenal program for Mac users, even more than PC users I think, since they've always had the ability to 'Explore' via Activesync but we've had to Bluetooth .cab files back and forth or transfer using a cardreader. Thanks a lot for putting all the time into this!

Also, for those with Macs, someone (who's probably a member here also) in the 6700 forum on pdaphonehome.com went the extra step and wrote a script that will automatically sync an iTunes foldeer of your choosing to your PPC when it mounts to your desktop.

Guest ninjaw
This works flawlessly on my Powerbook, just downloaded, installed and started it up. I Activesync over the air with my Exchange server so there's no problem with that being disabled.

I was told that USB completly work on Macintosh since very last OsX (Aka some adslbox work on usb only since 10.4 or something) plz do somethig to make it work on OS9 :) come one USb1.0 mass storage works on it

Guest zamba55

:)

Hi Can not install....

Windows mobile 5.0 and Qtec 8310.

Wen i run the setup the hany says i have no rights to install this file......

What is wrong?

Guest greasyp

What version of OS X are you using? I'm using a Powerbook on Tiger 10.4.6 and I've never been able to get this to work, though it works fine on my Windows machine.

The only minor negatives: Shortcut does not appear in the Programs folder and I have to 'Activate' and then plug the USB cable in or it doesnt mount to my desktop. Both so small as to really be inconsequential.

This is a phenomenal program for Mac users, even more than PC users I think, since they've always had the ability to 'Explore' via Activesync but we've had to Bluetooth .cab files back and forth or transfer using a cardreader. Thanks a lot for putting all the time into this!

Also, for those with Macs, someone (who's probably a member here also) in the 6700 forum on pdaphonehome.com went the extra step and wrote a script that will automatically sync an iTunes foldeer of your choosing to your PPC when it mounts to your desktop.

Guest RickP in AZ
What version of OS X are you using? I'm using a Powerbook on Tiger 10.4.6 and I've never been able to get this to work, though it works fine on my Windows machine.

My experience is the same as greasyp's, 12" 1Ghz Powerbook, 768MB RAM. I have not been able to get WM5Storage to work either under OS X 10.3.9 nor 10.4.6. Works wonderfully under WinXP SP2 on my PCs though.

I must say that I would love it if WM5Storage were able to work under OS X. Unfortunately I have absolutely no programming knowledge so I can be of virtually no help.

Guest Confucious

Only just found this thread!

Been using for a while. Came in really handy when I found my card reader couldn't read cards over 1Gb (I have a new reader now) and AS kept bombing while transferring a 712Mb file. No problems with WM5_storage :)

Many thanks

Guest GillyBerlin

:)

Hell! This is a great work! Thank you very much!

Works perfect on my T-Mobile MDA PRO

Edited by GillyBerlin

Guest daryl425

great app. works fine on my Universal so far. Just a quick request - can you add an icon or other indicator on the title bar to show that WM5Torage is active? Thanks! Great Work!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.