WM5torage

Guest Ingvarr

Guest kun1he2

Hmm... anyone managed to get it working on HP iPAQ rw6828?

WinXP detects the USB Mass Storage, but is empty when viewing the drive content via Explorer.

In the Event Viewer, there are several event ID 11 errors: "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D."

Guest meicci

Hi,

i have a problem with WM5torage!

i tried to load some data to the storage card using this tool! so i started it. Activation was no problem! when i connnected the ppc to the pc nothing happened!

So i disconnected it after some time. as i clicked on "deactivate" the pocket PC hung up. After a reboot the device couldn't find the storage card any more!

WM5torage says: "Can't open card"

in file explorer the cards folder disappeared, and in the configurations menu the device says that no card is installed..

can anyone help me?

Guest doomer

This is the best software i have ever seen. but will it support HTC hermes? i tried 1.53 & 1.6, still no luck. it doesn't work on hermes.

Edited by doomer

Guest Ingvarr
This is the best software i have ever seen. but will it support HTC hermes? i tried 1.53 & 1.6, still no luck. it doesn't work on hermes.

Its not under my control. Unless USB driver (thats built into firmware and drivers USB hardware) in Hermes will be totally(and not just activesync) protocol-compliant, there is little I can do :)

Guest doomer
Its not under my control. Unless USB driver (thats built into firmware and drivers USB hardware) in Hermes will be totally(and not just activesync) protocol-compliant, there is little I can do :)

oops, while activating wm5torage ( v1.6 ) and plugging usb, winxp showed all drivers were installed correctly. but open the drive using file exploer, there is nothing in it whether setting removable or not.

And i cant copy anyfile into it, winxps show error that please sure the file path is correct.

all of the above is the only information i can offer, sorry im not familiar with usb hardware or something ;)

Guest Ingvarr

Thats because USB driver on Hermes isnt working correctly.

Its activates ok, but cant properly transfer data in Mass Storage mode. Same thing happens with every other incompatible device.

Guest rsolo20

Tried it on XAV6700. Loaded program. Activated. Laptop USB error reported: unrecognized device. Disconnected Activesync. Same result. Any suggestions?

Also, how does one actually turn off/on the modes? In other words how do you enter commands remotely?

Thanks.

Guest moosemoose
And where's the news here ? Mac toys refuse to see this, already said, nothing we can do.

Either you get a real adult computer, either use geexbox that works on macos, even on MacOs9.

Ok, firstly, sorry for the time it's been since I last replied.

Secondly, I'm a newbie here. So back the hell off. I hadn't seen that it was noted it didn't work on MacOS. I'm not going to get into an argument justifying my use of an Apple computer, instead of a Windows box (why the hell should I?)

All that I'm going to stress is that I find it absolutely completely insulting that you are ready willing and able to treat newcomers to this forum the same way you'd treat that juicy pile of your dog's excrement you just walked in outside.

Some people use MacOS. Some use Linux. Some use Windows. Accept them all. And don't treat them the way you've replied to me.

Guest Confucious

Now now - no need for that. Cut the guy some slack. We're all friends on here. I could say that if Linux is so good why don't you use a linux phone? But I wont.

Everyone has there own reason for using what they do and there is no reason to get nasty about it.

@moosemoose - we're OK on here really. I know nothing about MACS so can't help I'm afraid but don't let one guy put you off!

Guest markauk
Still doesn't work w/ M600's lats

FYI, it works fine on my M600 (Orange UK). I did find that it didn't work well in read only mode though.

In case anyone else finds this useful, I am using it to do an automated nightly backup of my SD card as follows:-

• use SKScheMa to schedule an automatic switch to USB mode (ie using -a switch) in the middle of the night
  • use GoodSync to automatically sync the mounted SD card to a folder on my PC (it's set to auto sync whenever the card is mounted)
  • use SKScheMa again to schedule an automatic switch back to normal mode (ie using -d switch)

Thanks for a fantastic tool, Ingvarr!

mark

Edited by markauk

Guest moosemoose
Of course ya naab ya mac, go cryin to mama with ya toy and dont compare with linux, that isnt for naabs

I'm sorry, but you're a obviously a complete idiot. You're not even making proper sense. If you're going to post on an English language forum, shouldn't you speak English?

I'm not going crying to anyone. Why don't you log off, and come back later when you've finished your task for the day: hitting yourself in the head with a 2 by 4 covered in rusty nails for an hour.

I chose the Mac platform due to it's definite superiority in my industry (film and tv production, just look at Final Cut Studio), and obviously, you've chosen Windows or Linux to be 'in with a crowd'.

Now shut the hell up, and let people have a proper discussion about a driver for a product we're all using and obviously enjoying using.

Now now - no need for that. Cut the guy some slack. We're all friends on here. I could say that if Linux is so good why don't you use a linux phone? But I wont.

Everyone has there own reason for using what they do and there is no reason to get nasty about it.

@moosemoose - we're OK on here really. I know nothing about MACS so can't help I'm afraid but don't let one guy put you off!

Thankyou. I'm trying not to be put off by one childish nobody.

I'll maybe ask Ingvarr, are you the creator? Is it possible to maybe work together on creating a Macintosh compatible version, or to do some more testing in that field?

I've not done any driver development before, but have a lot of friends who are developers on the Mac platform, and may be able to provide an insight to how it could be tweaked - and that's the good part, it may only be a 'tweak' that's needed.

Guest Ingvarr

The problem with Macs is the same and ubiquitous - lack of full compliance with USB standard.

And this lack is due to bugs in built in hardware drivers. I just cant make the work properly, if I try - they do not work at all, even with Windows. So I had to do ugly hacks, so it will work at least with Windows.

You see, it works this way - WM5torage does not work with USB hardware directly (as each device have own hardware, this would be hard feat). Instead, WM5torage only implements Mass Storage protocol, and works with USB hardware driver that is built-in each WM5 device.

Problem is, that USB hardware drivers must be properly done. And most are not. Why? Because most devices out there are tested with ActiveSync & USB Modem protocols only, so some of USB bus features are left untested, and unsurprisingly, have buggy implementation (or no implementation at all).

When you use ActiveSync or modem, these driver features are not used, and you think that everything fine. But when WM5torage tries to use them, things get broken.

Theoretically, such devices should not even pass Microsoft compliance tests. But apparently, currently Microsoft do not test devices for compliance for full spectrum of USB functionality - only for ActiveSync & modem (assuming that drivers are entirely device dev area and shouldnt be done by third-party developers, so if there are no Mass Storage provided by device manufacturer - there will be none).

Guest moosemoose

I've checked the Apple Developer site and it mentions that the Mass Storage protocol is implemented to fully meet standards. I take it then it's the phones that don't quite have the right bits? That's what seems to come out of your post...

Guest Twilight.Cruiser
cant access to my storage card via WM5torage. im using xPhone2 WM5 upgraded
Hi zyxer_raffy,

this is a technical issue. Ingvarr had still explained that earlier in that in (t)his thread.

But I think this is a disadvantage that could be accepted due to all the advantages WM5torage offers! :)

Guest Twilight.Cruiser

Hi Igor,

one more time congratulations to that great tools, which is still one of my top favorites! It was one of the first tools that found the way on my SmartPhone and have never left it after installation - I'm using it really regularely! ;)

It is not only that it's great for use with every PC system haven't ActiveSync installed, it is also useful if I want to play MP3s direct from the Phone's SDCard ('cause unfortunately ActiveSync isn't capable of doing that!). And last not least, it is a sheet anchor for use with my home PC, because there seems to be a problem with the USB drivers: The system always crashes and reboots when ActiveSync tries to Sync the data (everybody here knowing this problem?)! :)

But, during my intensive use of WM5torage, I found that it would be great to have a further feature:

Is it possible to detect if the SmartPhone (with WM5torage active and being in mass storage mode) is detached from the USB port?

If so, a selecteable "auto deactivation" feature would be really nice. "What should this be good for?" you may ask. The answer is simple: Often when I've used my SmartPhone as an USB stick by activating WM5torage's mass storage mode and I'm in a hurry, I've forgotten to deactivate WM5torage. This wouldn't be sore, if the phone would have full access to the SDCard with WM5torage being active. But due to that technical issue, I'm sometimes wondering if & why an alarm got not active (assumed the audio file is stored on the SDCard), the MP3 player wasn't able to find any tracks, and so on...

So it would be a real cool feature if WM5torage could detect the SmartPhones detachment from the USB bus and would deactivate its mass storage mode! :D

Best regards

Norbert

Guest Ingvarr

You make a valid point with auto-deactivation feature. Problem is that from phone point of view, it can be seen as several attach-detach cycles, even when you have attached device only once. So its not very straightforward to implement, but I will try.

For activesync problems - try to switch ActiveSync to "Serial" mode, you can do it with a lot of free utilities floating around, for example this one - http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/u...itch/index.html

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Twilight.Cruiser

Hi Igor,

I'm always pleased with your replies! :)

You make a valid point with auto-deactivation feature. Problem is that from phone point of view, it can be seen as several attach-detach cycles, even when you have attached device only once. So its not very straightforward to implement, but I will try.
I'm thrilled that I've sparked your interest in my suggestion, so I'm looking forward for the next release...! ;)

Oh... - and if you need someone for test purposes, just let me know! :D

For activesync problems - try to switch ActiveSync to "Serial" mode, you can do it with a lot of free utilities floating around, for example this one - http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/u...itch/index.html
Thanks for that hint - I'll try it out asap! :P

By searching the MoDaCo threads, I have also found two links for a "stand alnone" application ("device independent", i. e. no need to update the device's firmware ROM) that gives you the choice to select between ActiveSync's "RNDIS" and "serial" mode; both seems to be the same freeware tool:

• USBSwitch.zip: The executable "USB Switcher" utility itself (ZIP file contains only the .exe file, no install).
  • USBKiller.cab: A .cab installation file for the "USB Switcher" utility.

What should I say... - it's incredibly!

In spite of latest windows updates, using ActiveSync's "RNDIS" mode still crashes down my whole system immediately everytime ActiveSync tries to sync, but switching to the "serial" mode, windows installs new driver and all works fine, without any trouble... :(

Edited by Twilight.Cruiser

Guest slawekpelc
This just means what it means - some devices have problems with it, and on some WM5torage won't work at all (notably on Typhoon/Feeler/C500/8010/8020 with "unofficial" WM5).

Can you fix it ??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.