WM5torage

Guest Ingvarr

Guest Ingvarr

Ok, thats better already.

Beta6 is uploaded.

BTW, I only need detailed (ffff) log if you will not be able to connect on default (7) log zone.

If you are able to connect and test disk access ok, dont bother testing on ffff zone - it's not suited for disk testing on slow pdas.

Guest CXM_PREMED

Beta6 is uploaded.

BTW, I only need detailed (ffff) log if you will not be able to connect on default (7) log zone.

If you are able to connect and test disk access ok, dont bother testing on ffff zone - it's not suited for disk testing on slow pdas.

so can you tell me what you think about people who have been using the TYTN... I remember I downloaded this program before but it did not work on my 8525 but that was months ago... has updateds changed since then... there are no dates with the upgrades...

Guest Ingvarr

I know that some people have managed to run in on TYTN, hovewer it was somehow tricky, if I am not mistaken. Read this topic, I think some people posted about it before, and on xda-developers too.

Guest CXM_PREMED
I know that some people have managed to run in on TYTN, hovewer it was somehow tricky, if I am not mistaken. Read this topic, I think some people posted about it before, and on xda-developers too.

If you could lead me to it, because I can't find it... I will try it and then post exact instructions... I am good at that.

Well, in anyevent I am a college student and this would be awesome if it could be done.

Guest j8888h

Beta6 is uploaded.

Congratulations! The BETA7 can get right connection with default log zone.

In order to know the speed of the WM5torage, I tested it with CrystalDiskMark 1.0 and get the report:

With 50MB data:

Connected by WM5torage 1.74 Beta (Removable Class):

Sequential reading: 0.836 MB/s, Sequential writing: 0.226 MB/s

512K random reading: 0.836 MB/s, 512K random writing: 0.062 MB/s

4K random reading: 0.406 MB/s, 4K random writing: 0.002 MB/s

If clear the checkbox of Removable Class, the results are similar.

When I plugged the same miniSD card into a USB 2.0 card reader, I got the following results:

Sequential reading: 6.152 MB/s, Sequential writing: 3.776 MB/s

512K random reading: 6.172 MB/s, 512K random writing: 0.610 MB/s

4K random reading: 1.724 MB/s, 4K random writing: 0.028 MB/s

The above results show that the WM5torage is much slower than the hard connection. Does it concern the CPU speed of Wizard? I overload the Wizard to 264MHz.

In order to compare the rate between WM5torage and MSActiveSync, I operated a fold with 86 files, 21 subfolds in 68 MB. The following is the results:

WM5torage 1.73 (Removable Class):

copy in: 978s, average rate: 0.070 MB/s

copy out: 77s, average rate: 0.883 MB/s

delete: 492s, average rate: 0.175 files/s

WM5torage 1.74 Beta7 (Removable Class):

copy in: 982s, average rate: 0.069 MB/s

copy out: 90s, average rate: 0.756 MB/s

delete: 490s, average rate: 0.176 files/s

MSActiveSyn:

copy in: 145s, average rate: 0.469 MB/s

copy out: 124s, average rate: 0.548 MB/s

delete: 8s, average rate: 10.75 files/s

The above results show that WM5torage have better transferring rate than MSActiveSyn, as the reading rate is much faster than that of MSActiveSync. However, it seems that WM5torage costs too much time in the operation of FAT. If Ingvarr can optimal the FAT operation cost as MSActiveSyn, the performance of WM5torage must have a great advance.

Test environment:

PPC: T-Mobile MDA

CPU: Wizard at 236 MHz (TCPMP report)

OS: WM6 10.1.0.811 CHS (translated from UHm, BMH 1.2.0)

Storage Card: SanDisk MiniSD 1 GB FAT32

PC: Windows XP sp2 professional / Intel Pentium M 1 GHz / 760 MB Memory / MSActiveSync 4.5.

WM5torage_log.rar

Edited by j8888h

Guest Ingvarr
If you could lead me to it, because I can't find it... I will try it and then post exact instructions... I am good at that.

Well, in anyevent I am a college student and this would be awesome if it could be done.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=277103

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?p...ame=Hermes_FAQs

Hope it helps.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Ingvarr

Beta8 is uploaded. This is subtle changes only, just test it that it still works ok.

The above results show that the WM5torage is much slower than the hard connection. Does it concern the CPU speed of Wizard? I overload the Wizard to 264MHz.

Its the effect of several things:

- mobile devices have pretty slow SD controllers. Mostly they read ok, but write is quite slow, obviously you cant write faster then SD interface on the device allows

- OMAP is pretty slow. This fact currently is aggravated by debug wm5torage driver build, in release it will be somewhat faster (not marginally)

- instead of ActiveSync, WM5torage exports card on the block level, not on file level. So by default when writing files, OS updates FAT often. This slows down things especially when you write many small files. Though it can be mitigated - in PC Windows Device Manager just find a WM5torage disk device, and in Properties | Policies tab set it to "optimize for performance". This will enable write cache, and performance when writing small files will increase dramatically. But you will need to be extra sure that after writing to card you unplug device using "safe removal" windows icon first, to make sure everything were written correctly.

- also, I see you use WM6. Is that official build? Many unofficial builds have leaked MS test builds in their core, they often have debug USB driver builds inside, with lower performance and quality.

As I see no errors in the log, I assume everything is working ok. Just try writing a big file on card - performance should be adequate.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest j8888h

Beta 8 seems not so stable. When I test with CrystalDiskMark 1.0, I met an error on PC told cannot write to the disk. And after I inactive the WM5torage, the PC explorer still show a removable disk. The MSActiveSync cannot connect. After I soft reset the device, WM5torage 1.74 Beta8 can work well.

WM5torage_log.rar

Guest j8888h

- instead of ActiveSync, WM5torage exports card on the block level, not on file level. So by default when writing files, OS updates FAT often. This slows down things especially when you write many small files. Though it can be mitigated - in PC Windows Device Manager just find a WM5torage disk device, and in Properties | Policies tab set it to "optimize for performance". This will enable write cache, and performance when writing small files will increase dramatically. But you will need to be extra sure that after writing to card you unplug device using "safe removal" windows icon first, to make sure everything were written correctly.

Is it possible to make WM5torage to export card on file level as ActiveSync when write to the card? If so, can the performance of WM5torage be close to ActiveSync? Concerning to the write cache, I will not use it, because it may make the files loss when I forget to use safe removal.

- also, I see you use WM6. Is that official build? Many unofficial builds have leaked MS test builds in their core, they often have debug USB driver builds inside, with lower performance and quality.

I don't think the WM6 is an official builds. What do you mean "have debug USB driver builds inside"? Do you mean MS make an internal USB storage driver in the WM6? Can it be explored for use?

Guest lovaxi

Hermes tytn 8525 testing!

Systen can find this device and recognize it as a disk, but access is slow.

Finding is very slow, browse is slow, too.

File browser always freezes.

wm5drvlog.rar

Guest Ingvarr

Ok, I am not sure if this maybe was a controller glitch, but I've rolled back the possible culpit.

beta9 is uploaded.

Guest Ingvarr
Hermes tytn 8525 testing!

Systen can find this device and recognize it as a disk, but access is slow.

Finding is very slow, browse is slow, too.

File browser always freezes.

Have you disabled the advanced network functionality?

I see no errors in wm5torage, but it seems like it periodically hangs inside Hermes disk or USB drivers.

Guest Ingvarr
Is it possible to make WM5torage to export card on file level as ActiveSync when write to the card? If so, can the performance of WM5torage be close to ActiveSync? Concerning to the write cache, I will not use it, because it may make the files loss when I forget to use safe removal.

USB Mass Storage Class is the direct access (block-level) disk protocol. It does not work with files, and its not possible to make it so.

There is no standard USB protocol that works on file level. ActiveSync is example of non-standard one.

I don't think the WM6 is an official builds. What do you mean "have debug USB driver builds inside"? Do you mean MS make an internal USB storage driver in the WM6? Can it be explored for use?

I mean that these "unofficial" builds are often do not have a production-quality code inside them. WM5torage uses a lot of other system drivers - for example, a driver for USB controller and flash disk. On "unofficial" builds these are often only made "so-so", without any optimizations or extensive bugtesting.

Guest lovaxi
Have you disabled the advanced network functionality?

I see no errors in wm5torage, but it seems like it periodically hangs inside Hermes disk or USB drivers.

Yes, the advanced network functionality is disabled.

Wm5torage seems unstable, I have test it ok, but fail on the same machine next time.

Guest REDZMAN

Okay, I'm installing the Beta 9 on my Dash/WM6 setup right now (official WM6).

Any recommended settings? I'm here to help you debug whatever I can.

Guest REDZMAN

Just installed Beta 9, restarted the dash, launched the program as such.

Enable Advanced Network Functionality is disabled on all below.

First try.

Read Only UNCHECKED

Removable Class CHECKED

DSK1

Off/Off

Activate and plug in.

Result? Computer recognized the phone, recognized the wm5torage program, and when the drive was selected, wanted me to format the drive.

Froze on disconnect.

(BTW, you should do a spell check on the warnings that come up in wm5torage.)

Second try.

Read Only UNCHECKED

Removable Class CHECKED

DSK2

Off/Off

Activate and plug in.

Result? Computer immediately recognizes the phone, and pops up a prompt to play media, open folder, ect. Storage card is NOT available here. Phone responsive after disconnect, froze up when "Deactivate" was selected. Log is below.

wm5drvlog___Second_Try.txt

Cleared the log.

Third Try.

Read Only UNCHECKED

Removable Class CHECKED

DSK2

Off/Off

Activate and plug in.

Result? Computer immediately recognizes the phone, and pops up a prompt to play media, open folder, ect. Main phone storage is NOT available here. Phone responsive after disconnect. Phone still responsive after Deactivate and DONE.

Amazingly enough, the Third Try was what I did on WM5, but it ALWAYS froze up afterwards, no matter what I did. This time, it hasn't at all. This is GREAT news, and if it continues, is good enough for me (don't really need access to the main phone storage at school anyway). Log for the third try is below.

wm5drvlog___Third_try.txt

I went back and tried the first one again, and got a log for you this time. Here it is.

wm5drvlog___First_Try.txt

Let me know what else I can do to help.

Guest Ingvarr

What do you mean by "Main phone storage is NOT available here." - it should never be available.

If you will try to mount main storage, even if PC will recognize it (being FAT), freeze afterwards is not the most bad things that could happen - since on storage mount, it made unavaliable to OS, and if you dismount main storage - you like pop out the system disk from running PC :rolleyes:

As I understand, the actual card on Dash is DSK3. Does it work with DSK3 fully correctly?

So, if it works properly - it should display warning window when you try to activate it with DSK1 and DSK2, but not on DSK3. So did it? If not, maybe I will need to improve "memory card disk" detection...

Also, what disk was selected by default, just after you've set up this new version?

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest REDZMAN
What do you mean by "Main phone storage is NOT available here." - it should never be available.

If you will try to mount main storage, even if PC will recognize it (being FAT), freeze afterwards is not the most bad things that could happen - since on storage mount, it made unavaliable to OS, and if you dismount main storage - you like pop out the system disk from running PC :rolleyes:

As I understand, the actual card on Dash is DSK3. Does it work with DSK3 fully correctly?

So, if it works properly - it should display warning window when you try to activate it with DSK1 and DSK2, but not on DSK3. So did it? If not, maybe I will need to improve "memory card disk" detection...

Also, what disk was selected by default, just after you've set up this new version?

Well, on my SDA, when I had it, I could access the memory card or my actual phone memory on it. With it setup on my Dash, in DSK 2 setting, I can still do so, as I posted above.

DSK 3 was my third try, as I mentioned above, and it worked just fine, I haven't had to reset my phone yet. YES, I got the warning with DSK 1 and 2, that's why I said you might wanna spell check it. LOL

The default disk? Wow, I don't remember. When I get home, I'll uninstall and reinstall it and let you know. I THINK it was DSK 3.

Guest Ingvarr

Well, sometimes you can access phone memory, but this is works from device to device, and sometime causes bad results. Thats why warning is displayed in this case.

If default disk was DSK3 (and it works in this mode perfectly, with no warning or freeze), than everything as it should be.

Guest CXM_PREMED
Great, I'll let the folks at Hofo know. You going to make an official new version soon?

any positive feedback from the tytn / hermes / 8525 yet?

Guest dine909

Wicked! nice work there!

I got a wee small bug tho, i have a folder on my storage card with excess off 800 files, it seems to not show the files on the pc

Otherwise top marks sir!

ps. it was on an XDA...

Guest xmarf02
Just installed Beta 9, restarted the dash, launched the program as such.

Enable Advanced Network Functionality is disabled on all below.

First try.

Read Only UNCHECKED

Removable Class CHECKED

DSK1

Off/Off

Activate and plug in.

Result? Computer recognized the phone, recognized the wm5torage program, and when the drive was selected, wanted me to format the drive.

Froze on disconnect.

(BTW, you should do a spell check on the warnings that come up in wm5torage.)

Second try.

Read Only UNCHECKED

Removable Class CHECKED

DSK2

Off/Off

Activate and plug in.

Result? Computer immediately recognizes the phone, and pops up a prompt to play media, open folder, ect. Storage card is NOT available here. Phone responsive after disconnect, froze up when "Deactivate" was selected. Log is below.

wm5drvlog___Second_Try.txt

Cleared the log.

Third Try.

Read Only UNCHECKED

Removable Class CHECKED

DSK2

Off/Off

Activate and plug in.

Result? Computer immediately recognizes the phone, and pops up a prompt to play media, open folder, ect. Main phone storage is NOT available here. Phone responsive after disconnect. Phone still responsive after Deactivate and DONE.

Amazingly enough, the Third Try was what I did on WM5, but it ALWAYS froze up afterwards, no matter what I did. This time, it hasn't at all. This is GREAT news, and if it continues, is good enough for me (don't really need access to the main phone storage at school anyway). Log for the third try is below.

wm5drvlog___Third_try.txt

I went back and tried the first one again, and got a log for you this time. Here it is.

wm5drvlog___First_Try.txt

Let me know what else I can do to help.

Redzman, has the WM5Storage and WM6 on T-Mobile Dash work for you? I have just reintalled my Dash to my liking and would hate to start from sratch if WM5Storage messes things up....

Thanks!

Guest Steve1712

Hi, have just installed wm5storage on HTC MTeor!

but after connecting to pC the drivers didn't installed correctly!??

usbview says this:

Device Descriptor:

bcdUSB: 0x0200

bDeviceClass: 0x00

bDeviceSubClass: 0x00

bDeviceProtocol: 0x00

bMaxPacketSize0: 0x08 (8)

idVendor: 0x045E (Microsoft Corporation)

idProduct: 0xFFFF

bcdDevice: 0x0000

iManufacturer: 0x01

iProduct: 0x02

iSerialNumber: 0x03

bNumConfigurations: 0x01

ConnectionStatus: DeviceConnected

Current Config Value: 0x00

Device Bus Speed: Low

Device Address: 0x00

Open Pipes: 0

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.