WM5torage

Guest Ingvarr

Guest killerost

Why is transferring with wm5torage slower than when using activesync? I'm using total commander + wince plug in and this is much faster than copying to the removable drive with wm5torage.

Guest Cr00k

Hey, very great software but i have also Questions:

1) If i want to install newer one, do i have to uninstall the older one?

2) If i uninstall WM5Storage, simply deactivate, then uninstall, and everything is fine?

3) When i activated WM5Storage, and connected my PPC to my Computer, he found 3 different types, and installed 3 different drivers: Mass Storage, Drive, and a 3rd One i dont remember. Is this normal?

Thanks for your answer, i hope you can answer ist, especially Question 3.

Edited by Cr00k

Guest nbhor

No Luck so far. Tried installing various versions (1.5,1.53,1.60,1.73,1.75) but each time it fails to mount as a drive. Version 1.53 was able to detect as a USB Mass Storage Device, but for some reason Windows XP did not detect it well and gave USB driver error. In Device Manager I can see the yellow question mark icon on USB menu.

Thanks

-nbhor

Guest Pistol1

WM5torage locks up whilst transferring files to my phone (HTC Monet) occasionally, and I have to remove the battery to reset the phone. It seems to happen when transferring too much data, so I try to copy files across in smaller batches in case of freezes.

Other than that, fantastic app. Definitely the most used application on my phone.

Guest Twilight.Cruiser

Hi Ingvarr,

WM5torage is still a nice app with constantly growing possibilities and options.

Do U still have the possibility in mind to "automatically" detect if the phone is already disconnected from the PCs USB port, so that

WM5torage is capable of deactivating itself, without any intervention by the user?

Best regards

Norbert

Edited by Twilight.Cruiser

Guest Ingvarr
Hey, very great software but i have also Questions:

1) If i want to install newer one, do i have to uninstall the older one?

2) If i uninstall WM5Storage, simply deactivate, then uninstall, and everything is fine?

3) When i activated WM5Storage, and connected my PPC to my Computer, he found 3 different types, and installed 3 different drivers: Mass Storage, Drive, and a 3rd One i dont remember. Is this normal?

Thanks for your answer, i hope you can answer ist, especially Question 3.

1. If you will install a newer one, the old one will be automatically uninstalled.

2. Yes

3. I think so. These devices are members of single "hierarchy branch", each is a child of other one.

Do U still have the possibility in mind to "automatically" detect if the phone is already disconnected from the PCs USB port, so that WM5torage is capable of deactivating itself, without any intervention by the user?

Yes. Sorry if it took too much time, the batch of the new devices on marked kinda swarmed me with other issues :)

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Twilight.Cruiser
Yes. Sorry if it took too much time, the batch of the new devices on marked kinda swarmed me with other issues ;)

Hey, that's ok, I don't want to shove U! :D

The question was just caused by my curiousness... :) - Thanx for your reply! :P

Guest rockdamic

Just want to point out that WM5torage does NOT work on Bell PPC 6800. The removable drive does appear but cannot be accessed.

Guest jockyw2001

Hi Ingvarr,

Your app v1.75 works on my HTC S710 (Vox) smartphone which has a Samsung NAND afaik.

I can mount DSK2: (T_HIDDEN_FAT or so) and DSK3: the 2GB SD card and copy files from both.

I've copied a couple of directories with big files and, though I didn't measure performance, it goes a lot faster than activesync.

I can also mount DSK1: /OneNAND Drive OS which consists of 3 unknown partitions

(these are the same patritions I suppose which I already dumped with pdocread.exe)

I have a couple of questions about DSK1:

- are the SPL and IPL actually on one of the 3 partitions?

- is there some way of retrieving SPL, IPL and Radio by using WM5torage

- is there a Windows application to read each partition sector by sector in some kind of raw binary access mode?

Keep up the good work ! :)

Guest csc12345678

I'm very happy to see this utility as I copy bulk avi to my phone regularly. I use O2 Graphite. I've timed a 8MB file.. copying to card. It's 2x faster than Activesync. It won't beat the card reader as Graphite is only USB 1.1 (just checked the manual). But it's surely more convenient, if the data is not toooo much.

Sorry if this has been asked before. As there are 39 pages, I hope I can just quickly as this question. What would happen if there is a disconnect when writing to the USB card ? Would it damage the card or worse, the smartphone ? I've ever damage a USB Thumb drive before, so I'm concerned.

Guest deblor

index.php?automodule=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=1702

File Name: WM5torage

File Submitter: Ingvarr

File Submitted: 22 Mar 2006

File Updated: 5 Jun 2007

File Category: Utilities - Phone Management

Windows Mobile 5 is required. Sorry, but I cant possibly make it work on WM 2003, as only WM5 allows USB protocol implementation separate from USB hardware driver - on WM 2003 Ill have to rewrite whole USB hardware drivers, and of course its not feasible.

Hey, I think you have to try Softick Card Export II. This app can run on Smartphone 2003!!! (SPV C500, SDA, SDA Music, Typhoon)

Link:

http://www.softick.com/smartphone/cardexport2/

Edited by deblor

Guest Ingvarr
Sorry if this has been asked before. As there are 39 pages, I hope I can just quickly as this question. What would happen if there is a disconnect when writing to the USB card ? Would it damage the card or worse, the smartphone ? I've ever damage a USB Thumb drive before, so I'm concerned.

I dont think you can damage the card physically. Worst that could happen is logical damage to the file system will make it unreadable, but that always can be fixed via reformatting.

If you pull out the USB cable you can technically damage the USB interface due to power surge (it should never happen on properly designed USB ports, but not all USB interfaces are of good quality).

This is great piece of software! Few months (years?) ago I complianed about nearly no functionality on Fujitsu-Siemens n520. This is no longer an issue, because it works perfectly now! Keep the good work....

Guest icecubix

Since I've installed WM5torage this morning I can't acces to storage card. I see all the content via USB in the PC but from pda I can't acces to them.

I did many soft resets, I uninstalled VM5torage but without results.

What I do? A hard reset? Some ideas?

Thanks

Edited by icecubix

Guest icecubix
Since I've installed WM5torage this morning I can't acces to storage card. I see all the content via USB in the PC but from pda I can't acces to them.

I did many soft resets, I uninstalled VM5torage but without results.

What I do? A hard reset? Some ideas?

Thanks

FINALLY!! The "Storage card" have been renamed as "Storage card2". When I connected WM5torage with PC, at same time I synchronized with ActiveSync via bluetooth (for experimentation). Surely at this moment, Activesync didn't found "Storage card" and creates it. And then the true "Storage card" appears as "Storage card2".

Guest V_Mark
No Luck so far. Tried installing various versions (1.5,1.53,1.60,1.73,1.75) but each time it fails to mount as a drive. Version 1.53 was able to detect as a USB Mass Storage Device, but for some reason Windows XP did not detect it well and gave USB driver error. In Device Manager I can see the yellow question mark icon on USB menu.

Thanks

-nbhor

Did somebody try with WM5 non-phone? I have Mitac Mio P550m.

My problem WAS the same:

- in device (WM5) it worked fine.

- In Windows XP SP2 (updated,...) it found as Mass Storage Device (USB device)

- In Device Manager it was a yellow exclamation mark (as i remember well), for this device, with "USB Error 10". I tried to dig out error 10 (for USB devices). Windows says: defected hardware, others say could be USB1.1 - 2.0 problem, out of ACPI resources, hub problem, too much power required etc etc. I tried other computers, same results.

Because it was not working (some restart both side, deinstall, install, close ActiveSync, ...) i switched to "Card Export II" (deinstalled, installed again, ...).

I started write this post but forgot how the problem showed up, so I installed WM5torage again.

AND NOW, WORKS. It shows as "WM5torag Mio P550 USB Device".

I did nothing but installed "Card Export II".

I deinstalled "Card Export II", because in this case I do not need it, and from then WM5torage did not work. Reinstalled "Card Export II", and WM5torage worked again (I did not stop WM5torage, but Deactivate, unplug and Activate).

So I assume "Card Export II" installs a better USB stack than the original, so WM5torage can work, otherwise not. It is a pity that the hardware manufacturers do not care software at all.

Anyway this program works perfectly if the prerequisits are OK (as mentioned in the beginning of FAQ).

I wrote this, because the FAQ did not mention USB Error 10 problem.

If Windows says "New device found" when you plug the device, but later on no drive show up, ... AND the problem in Device manager is Error 10 - means the USB stack of the device is faulty. Please correct me, if I wrong.

Guest Ingvarr

You are correct that this is the problem with the device USB harware driver. It works enough that PC "sees" the disk device, but it can not properly transfer data - and so you see "USB device error".

I've updated the FAQ with that such glitches can manifest in wide variety of ways.

Basically device manufacturers do care, but they dont seem to care about "non-planned" features, ie if they decided not to build the USBMFN themselves, they see no need to make device compliant for it - "what do you complain about, all declared features are working". Of course its a flawed approach - this is smartphone after all. And technically MS should revoke the WM licenses from vendors that dont maintain proper compatibility according to specs, but since MS didnt intend the drivers to be made by third-parties anyway, I guess they decide to overlook it :)

Edited by Ingvarr

This is an excellent piece of (free) software - bravo Ingvarr!

I had it working brilliantly on my Hermes with the Black Majik WM6 ROM, but since I installed the 'official' Dopod 838pro WM6 ROM I can't make it work any more. Everything seems fine until I plug it in - I get a 'ding' from the computer but it doesn't go any further or recognise a USB anything. I'm guessing they left out that USB driver thingo you have talked about before - any chance of a fix in the future?

Guest Ingvarr
I'm guessing they left out that USB driver thingo you have talked about before - any chance of a fix in the future?

Its not under my control. Things that are in the firmware entirely depend on firmware developer.

Its not under my control. Things that are in the firmware entirely depend on firmware developer.

I just tried V_Mark's trick and installed Card Export II. And now WM5torage works just fine as well! So, Ingvarr: this implies that it is possible for you to add whaterver Card Export II does to the USB stack and patch up the hole. This would not be easy however I would imagine! In the meantime I will have Card Export II installed but not used....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.