So who's got a HTC 100/ 'startrek' /smartflip /qtek 8500 so far?

Guest fluffcat1

Yeah saw that 'ordered on request' earlier ( on the pink version only mind ;-) but it's gone to sat 24th black / fri 30th pink, and the pink unit is

Guest fluffcat1
Whilst I can totally sympathise with your cost analysis and also your position on warranties, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't suggest that I am in some way untrustworthy due to my feedback. I have been around the mobile forums (W@Mob, HoFo and here) for several years, have bought and sold phones much like other users here, and have never made a dishonest sale or purchase.

I never said you had made a dishonest sale or purchase - just pointed out ( exaclty as I did with the other seller, who also didn't self promote here) you only had 24 feedback of which 10 were from buyers which is relatively low for selling a high value item. Buy thanks for the sympathy? :) ...

Now I didn't post my auction here or advertise it - it was brought up by someone else - and I haven't sought to promote it in any way. I am also perfectly content with you suggesting that it is too expensive, or that there are things that other people should think about. I have nothing to conceal and am perfectly open to fair comment. I have even made comments myself about Expansys. However, your post, intentionally or otherwise, implies that it's my level of feedback rather than simply the price that should discourage people, which implies that I could be unreliable or untrustworthy which, frankly, I am not.

There isn't any basis for suggesting that, and there is nothing whatsoever about my feedback that is suspicious.

So 2 people are selling a phone, 1 is half the price of the other and that seller has 3 times the other's feedback? Just pointing out the obvious mate....and the text in your listing "YOU WILL NOT FIND THIS PHONE ANYWHERE ELSE - DON'T BE FOOLED BY OTHERS UNLESS THEY CAN PROVIDE PHOTOGRAPHIC PROOF!" quite obviously isn't true, the other seller's got them, his buyers so far are happy, and we can find this out as his auctions are not private listings.

Almost all my feedback relates to, surprise surprise, the sale and purchase of mobile phones, many before they are available publically, cos I am an early adopter with time and money on my hands. I don't turn a profit on my phones, but instead tend to sell them on in anticipation of a new purchase. Now I assume that the comment was wholly unintentional, and actually restricted to price and warranty issues, but in case it wasn't (and to set the position straight in any event), I thought I should post something.

Wow. 24 *whole* transactions for phones....ooooh, you cutting edge early adopter with time and money on their hands you! ;) :)

Would you like me to list all the phones *I* had pre-release? Or maybe the development units I had at BTCellnet? Or just the ones up for sale on ebay this week with my 1700+ feedback......

Richard

Guest machiavell1
I never said you had made a dishonest sale or purchase - just pointed out ( exaclty as I did with the other seller, who also didn't self promote here) you only had 24 feedback of which 10 were from buyers which is relatively low for selling a high value item. Buy thanks for the sympathy? ;) ...

So 2 people are selling a phone, 1 is half the price of the other and that seller has 3 times the other's feedback? Just pointing out the obvious mate....and the text in your listing "YOU WILL NOT FIND THIS PHONE ANYWHERE ELSE - DON'T BE FOOLED BY OTHERS UNLESS THEY CAN PROVIDE PHOTOGRAPHIC PROOF!" quite obviously isn't true, the other seller's got them, his buyers so far are happy, and we can find this out as his auctions are not private listings.

Wow. 24 *whole* transactions for phones....ooooh, you cutting edge early adopter with time and money on their hands you! :D :)

Would you like me to list all the phones *I* had pre-release? Or maybe the development units I had at BTCellnet? Or just the ones up for sale on ebay this week with my 1700+ feedback......

Richard

I'm not your mate, mate. "Sympathize" in this case means "To share or understand the ideas of another" - it doesn't actually mean I am giving you my sympathy, just that I understood the point you were making. I really shouldn't have to explain that to (someone I assume to be) a grown literate adult. :P

The implication of your comment remains the same - that the auction was in some way untrustworthy or doubtful - the fact that you linked it to my feedback rather than left it at cost comparison highlights that fact. Feedback on eBay is a marker of a seller/buyer's reliability and the trust you can place in them so, whether you intended to or not, you were making a comment about the level of trust or reliability that should be attributed to me. I didn't appreciate that (and clearly neither did you as you still don't seem to grasp the point, so to be honest I'm less inclined to take offence).

As for the comment in the auction about availability, you're absolutely correct - At the time, I genuinely wasn't aware there were any importers (and even when I was aware of it, it was clear from my posts here that I thought these in any event were US importers rather than UK). That had literally changed over the course of a few days from when I had last looked so wasn't reflected in my auction. The comment about photographic evidence, however, is actually pretty sensible and still stands. I wouldn't buy from any eBay merchant who couldn't provide some photographic evidence of what they are selling, particularly if it is an item that is either pre-release or just released. In any event, I made it pretty clear what I thought people should do when they were considering their purchasing options. I didn't push my auction, and I didn't need to - It looks like I managed to sell it for

Edited by machiavell1

Guest fluffcat1
I'm not your mate, mate. "Sympathize" in this case means "To share or understand the ideas of another" - it doesn't actually mean I am giving you my sympathy, just that I understood the point you were making. I really shouldn't have to explain that to (someone I assume to be) a grown literate adult. B)

Oooooh...Handbag! I think a more correct word for the meaning you wished to convey would have been 'empathize' in this context - your use of sympathize implies pity that we are all not worthy of such cutting edge expensive early adopter only phones or the people who decide to sell them on and double their cost....

I don't think "early adopter" is a *cool* thing like you clearly do - more of a sign of impatience - but feel free to reel off your list of pre-release phones and amaze and astound people with your days on the "edge" working at BT Cellnet.... you must be so proud :) I'll try to choke back the awe that I will naturally experience. It'll be tough, but dammit I'll manage :)

The point is that you're entitled to your opinion but, then again, so am I. :D Anyway, I'm pretty chipper as it appears that I sold my Qtek, so - friends? I'll even sell you some of my cutting edge early adopter tech cheap for your collection...

No it was the way you labelled yourself with the tags 'money on my hands' and 'early adopter' that made me laugh. Like those people who say 'I like meeting people' ...'I'm intelligent and resourceful' ...'I work well in team situations' etc etc it's just self-serving-spin....

And as for cutting edge at BT? Well, I was on the blackberry development team and had a pre-release wallaby for 6 months so pretty cutting edge ta. I wasn't 'proud' of it - just when people bang on about how cutting edge they are with their consumer level devices it helps to point out that I, like many who read this board are / have been involved in the development cycles of the devices prior to even a beta release to Joe Schmo and so truly are cutting edge rather than just claiming to be.

You're not my 'mate'? I'm not your 'friend then'. I'll get over it.... ;)

Richard

Guest Pondrew

Enough guys. The thread has strayed off topic enough and you two circling each other isn't entertaining (ok, maybe it is a little :) ).

Lets keep any further replies strictly to the topic please.

so now that machiavell1 sold his startrk, does anyone have one?

@ machiavell1

2 things I forgot to ask if you don't mind?:

What was the sound quality and volume like when on a call?

What was the loud speaker sound quality and volume like?

Moving from a prophet ppc where IMO the sound quality is crap.

thanks again

gR

Guest shadieb

I emailed Expansys re the price change and the date change asking them to amend my order. All I got back was an email saying they will definitely have stock on the 14th? No mention of amending my order price to

Guest shadieb

Expansys is getting silly now. I get told the 14th for definite. You get told end of the month??

If you live in or near London (which I don't) there is an EBayer with one at

If you live in or near London (which I don't)

No I live in Ireland so I don't think I'll make the trip :)

Saw that site alright but I really doubt they have stock if expansys don't. reckon qtek just haven't released it yet :)

Think I'm gonna stop checking expansys, stop checking ebay, stop giving out about it and just wait for my expansys delivery (its gonna be tough but I'll try!!)

let us know if you do find a supplier!!

thanks

gR

Guest machiavell1
so now that machiavell1 sold his startrk, does anyone have one?

@ machiavell1

2 things I forgot to ask if you don't mind?:

What was the sound quality and volume like when on a call?

What was the loud speaker sound quality and volume like?

Moving from a prophet ppc where IMO the sound quality is crap.

thanks again

gR

Sound quality was actually very good. On a par with a Razr or Nokia 6230i, and, of the 2 previous smartphones I have had (C500 and C600) as good as or better than those (better than C500). Volume was ok - not the loudest I have ever experienced but certainly not noticeably quiet - I had no difficulties with conversations at all (and these qualities - call volume/clarity/rf are pretty important to me). Can't compare to a prophet I am afraid but it holds up well against a conventional mobile. Rf incidentally was also pretty good although didn't have to test it too extensively. Much better than my C500, as good as C600 (at least), and seemed to carry signal in all the places my Razr does. Again, though, didn't get to take it anywhere really poor in terms of signal, so can't say it is a world beater.

Didn't try the loudspeaker (if you mean speaker phone) at all I am afraid. Volume on speaker for WMP and call tones was good, and speaker was pretty clear. Not a stereo by any means though!

It was a truly excellent handset, and I was sad to see it go - I would get it again in a heartbeat (and probably will), but wanted to get one which I could definitely get MMS on, plus I wanted to recover my spend on it. My buyer didn't seem to care so much about MMS and seemed confident he could get it working, so it worked out pretty well.

BTW the eBayer in Torquay is actually currently in Asia, and shipping from Asia to order. Seems nice enough from emails he/she has sent me, but beware of additional import taxes and warranty/returns if those things matter to you.

Expansys WILL eventually (!) get them but you'll have to forget the date - totally moveable feast...

Guest machiavell1
Enough guys. The thread has strayed off topic enough and you two circling each other isn't entertaining (ok, maybe it is a little :) ).

Lets keep any further replies strictly to the topic please.

Sorry I just saw this. Skimmed the board as I have been off the last day. Will keep quiet from now on...

Guest machiavell1
thanks for the info again machiavell1. Makes me want the phone even more now lol

cya

gR

Have a look at the similar thread in Howardforums.com in the smartphone section. There is a review of the Dopod by a recent purchaser - he covers alot of good ground in it. You may find it of interest.

Also got mine this week.

My first smartphone, maybe stupied question, but do I need to unlock this phone to install new software that are not verified ?

What guide should I use to get it unlocked?

Best Regards, Magnus.

Guest machiavell1
Also got mine this week.

My first smartphone, maybe stupied question, but do I need to unlock this phone to install new software that are not verified ?

What guide should I use to get it unlocked?

Best Regards, Magnus.

If it is locked (mine was app locked) you can use the same method that works for the tornado series (C600 etc). Really simple. Search in these forums or on XDA developer for the guide. Works like a charm.

Can you let me know if your Dopod (I assume yours is a Dopod), works with MMS? and if so, what network have you tried it on?

thanks

Guest abrand

Hi,

a big german mobile-newspaper "connect" seemed to have some problems with the bluetooth in the 8500. According to them it seems that they could not receive any files via Bluetooth. Anybody can confirm such problems?

cya,

Arne

Hi, just got my Dopod S300 this morning! strange all right, I tried to send a file via BT to the phone and got a "the device does not support this action" or something similar. Not a major concern for me but a bit lame all the same :)

I'll post my initial feelings with the phone in a day or two but 1st impressions are very good :)

by (and welcome to the site!!)

gR

Guest Pondrew

@Gerryr, did you have Receive Incoming Beams in Settings selected and the sending device paired in Bluetooth devices? Both of these things are required to enable a Smartphone to receive files by bluetooth... (oh, and of course having bluetooth on! )

@Gerryr, did you have Receive Incoming Beams in Settings selected and the sending device paired in Bluetooth devices? Both of these things are required to enable a Smartphone to receive files by bluetooth... (oh, and of course having bluetooth on! )

doh! incoming beam was the problem all right, you'd think I'd have figuered that one out :)

thanks for the tip P!

gR

Guest Pondrew

heh. No problem. I suspect the German publication just didn't know that they needed to do that either! :)

Still, you've got to ask if it's intuitive enough when folks have so much trouble...

Guest abrand
doh! incoming beam was the problem all right, you'd think I'd have figuered that one out :)

thanks for the tip P!

gR

So it works now perfectly?

cya,

Arne

Guest machiavell1

GerryR, where did you get yours from in the end? Is it Dopod or Qtek? and have you checked whether MMS works? If so, which network?

This was the killer for me - if MMS is rectified on the model you have, then I might consider getting another one.

Cheers!