Free push email too good to be true?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Confucious
Nick, why would you NOT use push instead of regular polls?

Mail arrives quicker, the overhead should be less (as it won't 'poll' even when you have no new mail)... I don't see any downsides ;)

P

As I understand it there is a regular "heartbeat" between the device and phone which, I believe, Microsoft say should be between 5 - 8 Mb /month but others have reportrd could be as high as 12 Mb / month - this is without any emails which, of course, would be on top of that.

Orange in the UK say they have reduced the amount of data used for this heartbeat but I'm not sure if that's only if you use their server.

Push email is great for those of us on unlimited data plans but if you're paying for your data I'd sugest you monitor it carefully as you could be in for a nasty surprise!

Push email changes the nature of emailing, you can use it to hold conversations rather like SMS. Without it, if someone sends you an email it could take 15 mins for you to get it, you reply and then it could take another 15 mins to get their reply - not much good if it's the misses asking you to pick something up on the way home from work for instance.

it doesn't suit everyone but I don't know anyone who's tried it that doesn't miss it if they lose it.

Guest st3ph3n

This raises some interesting questions for me. I currently have my website and mail hosted by a non microsoft provider but I'm looking to move to an exchange solution for the mail once the AKU2 update for the vario comes out.

I know I could go with something like this service and have my mail forward as someone said, or have this service collect my pop, but I'd rather not. The lack of outlook access is annoying too.

So ideally what I want is to be able to continue to keep my email address and move to someone that can provide me with a hosted exchange account. I only need one mailbox, but that will pickup all mail to [email protected].

I have full control over the name server records for my domain, so I'm guessing I can just setup exchange.mydomain.com to point to a hosted exchange service and then change the mx record to be exchange. rather than mail. which is my existing pop/imap access.

So, the question now is - who can provide this for me at a decent price, and will support outlook and provide pushed email?

Guest themugger
I've found 4smartphone perfectly quick... strange...

P

I emailed support and they advised to change over to Forwarding instead of pop3 retrieval (they only poll every 10-15 minutes with pop)

and hey presto, email arrives on my device within 10 seconds, great service....

Guest dan13l

Has anyone managed to get this working with a T-Mobile Unlimited data tariff? I can't connect over gprs, but using activesync to proxy is fine...

Guest Stabilo
Has anyone managed to get this working with a T-Mobile Unlimited data tariff? I can't connect over gprs, but using activesync to proxy is fine...

Yes, what bit are you struggling with?

Guest dan13l

I've set the exchange server up in ActiveSync (mobile.exchange.mail2web.com) and added my username and password (including the @mail2web.com), and I've set the domain (ad2).

When I conncect to GPRS, and hit sync I get "cannot connect to server".

Actually, make that "got" - having connected the Vario to my pc and used that connection to sync (so using the PC as a proxy via Activesync), then unplugged from the PC and tried again over GPRS, I get "Waiting for network" on the activesync screen.

Guest Stabilo
I've set the exchange server up in ActiveSync (mobile.exchange.mail2web.com) and added my username and password (including the @mail2web.com), and I've set the domain (ad2).

When I conncect to GPRS, and hit sync I get "cannot connect to server".

Actually, make that "got" - having connected the Vario to my pc and used that connection to sync (so using the PC as a proxy via Activesync), then unplugged from the PC and tried again over GPRS, I get "Waiting for network" on the activesync screen.

Can't see much wrong with what you have.

Are you sure your current location has a GPRS signal?

Do you use GPRS for other activities i.e. web browsing? Your phone (GSM) will need to be on for GPRS not just your XDA switched on.

Do you have much mail for collection i.e. if you had say 20MB to download it would take a while?

Edited by Stabilo

Guest dan13l

Yes, yes, and no ;)

I've done a bit of digging, and it looks like a few people have had the same problem as I'm having. No sign of a resolution though, sadly. I might jump ship to the Qtek rom and see if I have any more luck with that!

Guest Stabilo
Yes, yes, and no ;)

I've done a bit of digging, and it looks like a few people have had the same problem as I'm having. No sign of a resolution though, sadly. I might jump ship to the Qtek rom and see if I have any more luck with that!

Could be the ROM, I don't have a T-Mobile ROM. I am using the i-mate ROM.

Guest Sogarth
Nick, why would you NOT use push instead of regular polls?

Mail arrives quicker, the overhead should be less (as it won't 'poll' even when you have no new mail)... I don't see any downsides ;)

P

I gave this a try about a week ago. For whatever reason, the battery usage on my phone went insane, though. Normally, even with a 15-30 minute POP mail check, my phone would last about 24 hours with light usage. When I turned push e-mail on, my phone would last about 12 hours with light usage. I'm not sure exactly what happened there.... ;)

But, it's definitely one reason why even though I have push e-mail configured right now, it's turned off. :P

Guest admiraal

The free mail2web Live Exchange syncs great with ActiveSync 4.1. It works great with my 8310.

I also like to use this Exchange account in Outlook 2003, but it doesn't seem to work. I can't figure out that the payed personal service has this option http://services.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail/

Is there a possibily to use this free mail2web Live Exchange (or the payed personal one) account also in your Desktop Outlook?

Guest lescargot
Is there a possibily to use this free mail2web Live Exchange (or the payed personal one) account also in your Desktop Outlook?

Yeah I am struggling with this one too. If it can be done brilliant and it would offer an alternative way of syncing making up for the lack of activesync wifi support.

Guest Sgt_Strider

Wow guys this is amazing stuff. Tell me, why shouldn't I cancel my 1and1 subscription now that a free alternative is available?

Guest M@rkC
I read this page http://services.mail2web.com/Personal/EnhancedEmail/ but it is not clear to me. Maybe it is just me ;)

Can you use it in the payed version for $1,99 a month? The price seems reasonable.

The paid version looks identical to the free one, with the possible exception that the paid version gives you more storage space and allows larger attachments. It may allow access via Outlook, but it doesn't mention it explicitly - and I for one wouldn't fancy configuring my firewall to allow all the ports Exchange uses :P (unless the RPC over HTTP was available).

Anyone feeling brave enough to ask them?

Mark.

Guest travisb

I was wondering whether the data hit would be more or less if I forward a pop3 account to the mail2web address (which then gets pushed) versus just checking the pop3 account periodically via send & receive. I have web & walk so I was just curious.

Guest chrisbpr

i can sync my contacts but when it trye to sync calender/tasks i get an error code 8503001a...any ideas.

i am not trying to sync/push emails yet as i have a vario on tmob so don't have the ad2 rom thingy.

Guest admiraal
The paid version looks identical to the free one, with the possible exception that the paid version gives you more storage space and allows larger attachments. It may allow access via Outlook, but it doesn't mention it explicitly - and I for one wouldn't fancy configuring my firewall to allow all the ports Exchange uses ;) (unless the RPC over HTTP was available).

Anyone feeling brave enough to ask them?

I was brave. :P I will post the Mail2web support anwser.

By the way. The payed service also allows you to use POP3/SMTP in the Live Exchange account. That is also a difference from the free service.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.