Free push email too good to be true?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest M@rkC
I tried RPC over HTTP in the free version btw... doesn't work :P

P

Shame....that would have been a bonus ;)

I was brave. I will post the Mail2web support anwser.

By the way. The payed service also allows you to use POP3/SMTP in the Live Exchange account. That is also a difference from the free service.

@admiraal, we're waiting with baited breath....have you posted the response yet ;)

Mark.

Guest admiraal
> unless the RPC over HTTP was available

I was brave. ;) I will post the Mail2web support anwser.

The anwser

Summary

It is not possible in the free and personal and even not in the business service. It's only possible in de Professional version for $12,95 a month. See

http://services.mail2web.com/Business/Exch...are.asp#compare

The full detailed answer of mail2web

If you need to have synchronization on your mobile device, you need to

have Business Professional Plan with us, please see the comparison

chart of our Exchange services at

http://services.mail2web.com/Business/Exch...are.asp#compare. Our

Personal Exchange does not support this feature.

If you would like to connect to the exchange server directly from your

Outlook Desktop client, you'll need to sign up for our Professional

Exchange plan. This will allow you to connect using RPC over HTTP

directly to the exchange server from your local installation of Outlook.

Our Business Professional Plan starts from $8.95 per month. Business

Exchange services are provisioned with a unique domain name. Please see

the comprehensive chart on the Business Associate and Professional rate

per seat at http://services.mail2web.com/Business/Exchange/compare.asp.

All mailboxes come with 500 MB of storage space, 500 MB of Public Folder

space per domain, Free copy of Outlook 2003 and license (only with

Professional) etc. To help you decide which of our Exchange plans is

best for you, please review our point-by-point comparison of all the

features supported by each plan at

http://services.mail2web.com/Business/Exch...are.asp#compare.

Our Professional Exchange plan is our most full featured plan, and is

available at $12.95 per month per seat. If you wish to have a free copy

of Outlook 2003, Company Address Book and Shared Calendar, shared

contacts, public folders, Import/Export .PST Files etc. you need to sign

up for our Business Professional Plan. Please note that there are

discounts available if you subscribe to 6 or more seats. More

information on the services and features of the Business Exchange

service is at

https://services.mail2web.com/Business/Exchange/features.asp

<_<

Guest jimbouk

So at the end of the day, they offer a free basic hosted exchange service with lots of limitations or you can sign up with them for a similar service to all the other providers. Over at imateforum.com a lot of imate owners have signed up for 4smartphone's paid for service and like it - and pretty much all of them slag of clubimate's free exchange service (as its too limited and doesn't work properly).

There's no such thing as a free lunch...

I pressume I am missing the point here.

I have an M600 and want to have push e-mail for a gmail account that I have.

I have set up a mail2web account and understand I might need to forward the gmail to it.

People are mentioning the use the activesync but I am not sure why this would be involved. It might be the exchange server that requires this, is this right?

If anyone can let me know if I can set up push mail using mail2web, could you please let me know? I can't seem to find out how on their site.

Thanks

Chiz

Guest M@rkC
If anyone can let me know if I can set up push mail using mail2web, could you please let me know? I can't seem to find out how on their site.

There's a pretty good "How-To" guide written by Gears @ CoolSmartphone - check out >this link< for all the details you'll need.

Gears wrote the guide for a SmartPhone, but it applies equally to a PPC device like the M600.

Enjoy!

Mark.

There's a pretty good "How-To" guide written by Gears @ CoolSmartphone - check out >this link< for all the details you'll need.

Gears wrote the guide for a SmartPhone, but it applies equally to a PPC device like the M600.

Enjoy!

Mark.

Thanks very much for that Mark, will have a look there.

EDIT: Worked perfectly. Not sure how much I will use it, but it's a nice option to have.

Chiz

Edited by Chiz

Guest catman3
So at the end of the day, they offer a free basic hosted exchange service with lots of limitations or you can sign up with them for a similar service to all the other providers. Over at imateforum.com a lot of imate owners have signed up for 4smartphone's paid for service and like it - and pretty much all of them slag of clubimate's free exchange service (as its too limited and doesn't work properly).

There's no such thing as a free lunch...

Does 4smartphone allow for synching with desktop Outlook at a more reasonable price?

Guest Tiploh

I don't think using mail forward is a good idea as it would limit the mail choice. For me, my company e-mail doesn't provide mail-forwarding feature, also my favourite GMail has mailbox over 2.5G, why (and How) should I forward these two accounts into web2mail? I think the push e-mail service that I'm using is much better although it is a beta testing. I even can use my O2 Xda II (yeah 2.5 years old device, only running on PocketPC 2003) to get the push e-mail service and it is working well. Basically it can connect to all POP3 and IMAP mailbox and now I'm testing to get Hotmail and Yahoo Mail too...

Guest jimbouk
Does 4smartphone allow for synching with desktop Outlook at a more reasonable price?

You need their pro service at us$6.99 a month for the full service. But it is awesome - and includes Outlook 2003 download with a licence.

Guest Paul (MVP)

4Smartphone, who I use, give you the full monty - ActiveSync, Web, WAP, IMAP, POP, SMTP AND RPC over HTTP for only $6.99 per month, and as jimbouk points out, a full version of Outlook 2003! ;)

I'm well pleased with my account!

P

Guest chrisbpr
i have already done that...what the hell is a gzip header ????????

can anyone help me out on this one as i have tryed google but there is no mention on how to cure this proplem.....ta.

Guest travisb
can anyone help me out on this one as i have tryed google but there is no mention on how to cure this proplem.....ta.

I'm assuming that mail2web uses the gzip open source compression utility http://www.gzip.org/ to compress the data. Apparently you get that error if the transfer is done in ASCII, not binary. Might be worth a e-mail to their tech support people.

Guest rameses

Anyone know how to make the email aggregator work with a gmail account? I've checked the POP settings on my gmail and they appear to be correct, but the mail2web account won't pick any of the emails up.

Guest yoda6
Anyone know how to make the email aggregator work with a gmail account? I've checked the POP settings on my gmail and they appear to be correct, but the mail2web account won't pick any of the emails up.

You'd be much better off setting gmail to forward incomming mail to your mail2web address. That's what I do and it works a treat.

Guest catman3
4Smartphone, who I use, give you the full monty - ActiveSync, Web, WAP, IMAP, POP, SMTP AND RPC over HTTP for only $6.99 per month, and as jimbouk points out, a full version of Outlook 2003! ;)

I'm well pleased with my account!

P

Okay, okay, okay already, Paul. You convinced me to give 4Smartphone a try. And I have to say, you were right (I feel a bit like that's what my mother wanted me to tell her after all the hard years)! :P

The setup was almost idiot proof and the price is quite fair for what you get.

Thanks!

Guest Paul (MVP)
How did you get gmail to work, I've tried with no luck. My tiscali pushes OK.

Cheers ;)

Use the POP3 configuration that you can find in your GMail Settings section.

P

Guest kailes

i have an smt5600 on cingular, and mine isn't pushing all the time. it seems like it pushes once a day, any other time i have to manually sync it. i have checked all of my active sync settings, have been in this forum and have checked on the mail2web site, but can't seem to find an answer. Is this s WM2003 limitation?

Guest Confucious

kailes - push email omnly works with WM5 (and then only with AKU2) so it won't be pushing at all an a WM2003 device.

Guest kailes

thanks confucious--one more reason to convince the wife that i need a new phone!

kailes - push email omnly works with WM5 (and then only with AKU2) so it won't be pushing at all an a WM2003 device.

Guest msiviter

I've had the gmail pop enabled for a while and outlook picks them up fine. Outlook has lots of options for different ports etc and gmail is very fussy. Using the email aggregator (even in advanced settings) I couldnt find the necessary settings to get gmail to work. Do I need a 'domain' in the relevant box etc? What settings did you use in the aggregator to get gmail to forward?

Cheers

Guest Stabilo
I've had the gmail pop enabled for a while and outlook picks them up fine. Outlook has lots of options for different ports etc and gmail is very fussy. Using the email aggregator (even in advanced settings) I couldnt find the necessary settings to get gmail to work. Do I need a 'domain' in the relevant box etc? What settings did you use in the aggregator to get gmail to forward?

Cheers

The option to forward is in Gmail not mail2web. In your Gmail account it is in Settings, Forwarding and POP and then enter your mail2web email address in the Forwarding address box and save changes.

Edited by Stabilo

Guest jullian_d

does anyone know how to keep a copy of your sent items on your phone plus is there a way to add notification to my mail2web push account. i have too keep looking at my screen .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.