Who's left Orange for T-Mobile?

Guest chucky.egg

I binned Orange back in February and never looked back - W&W is fantastic, no problems with signal (apart from some remote bits of blighty in the middle of nowhere) and the FlexT allowance just goes on and on - I still have yet to use all my allowance up in one month. I will never, ever, EVER go back to the big O unless they put a gun to my head (come to think of it, even then the choice of death or subscribing to an Orange tarriff....still think death would be the desirable option). ;)

Dear Orange....welcome to Dumpsville.....population....you....

• 2 months later...
Guest truscotsman72
I binned Orange back in February and never looked back - W&W is fantastic, no problems with signal (apart from some remote bits of blighty in the middle of nowhere) and the FlexT allowance just goes on and on - I still have yet to use all my allowance up in one month. I will never, ever, EVER go back to the big O unless they put a gun to my head (come to think of it, even then the choice of death or subscribing to an Orange tarriff....still think death would be the desirable option). :)

Dear Orange....welcome to Dumpsville.....population....you....

Right folks, here's my problem, Im basically looking for some advice. Im an extremely heavy texter, over 2000 texts a month isnt difficult for me. And about 3 yrs ago, I switched from 02 to Orange because I was tipped off about an online only deal that ran for one month. The deal was 3000 texts for £20 quid. No talktime etc, just texts, so I grabbed it. Mainly because my average bill with 02 was £350 a month (yeah you are reading right)

Ive been with orange a year and a half (never had any problems with them) and Im due a change in 2 weeks time (24th July 07) and Ive looked around at the othert tarrifs of other networks and no one can offer anywhere near what orange can give me on a dolphin contract(£35 a month, 200 mins, unlimited texts :P

Edited by truscotsman72

Guest chucky.egg

I can't see anything particularly close to that

Flext50 gives you 2550, but for £50/month for 18 months. T has the benefit of unlimited data for £7.50

Actually, I seem to recall something about sending SMS over GPRS a while back (it might be an application, but I think it's an option in WM6). It'd be worth looking into that.

If it works you can get the T unlimited data and it'll halve your bill

Guest Alsicole

I've just re-signed with T-Mo for another 18 months. They were, once again, very accommodating. I didn't want an expensive FlexT tarriff as I don't call or text that much, but I wanted Web & Walk Plus for email and web. Flext 20 and W&W+ aren't offered as a package, so they just swapped me to Flext20 and put W&W+ on as a bundle. I didn't upgrade my phone, so I got a discount for that too.

T-Mo are fab!

Guest Confucious

@truscotsman72 - flext35 gives you up to 1800 texts (if you don't use any minutes) and at the moment they are offering free evening and w/e callswithe W'n'W added you might find it easier to email rather than text anyway - if most of your texts are tpo the same person get them flext too and email (or just ring them! lol)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest truscotsman72

Ok, update. I stuck with Orange (stop groaning) as I've never had any problems with them, they've always filled my requirements and my bill has always been what I expected. So I went for the Nokia N95 on the Dolphin 35 tariff (600 anytime, x/network mins, and unlimited texts). Now the downside. The handset was £200 quid as I was doing an upgrade and I was like 'WTF!!!! Im a heavy user, wouldnt I get it for buttons or free??? They said if you start a new Dolphin 35 package, you get the phone for £50, but because your upgrading your contract to keep your number, its £200 for the handset. So I politely cracked up as the best phone they could offer me was a Nokia 5300 (pile of p*ss). They said 'yeah its £200 quid deposit but if you bring back a phone that turns on and isnt wrecked, you get £150 quid credit to your account (why couldnt they just say 'have the handset for £50?).

Anyways, I gave them £200 quid and went back next day with an old, but working Nokia 3650. £150 quid credited to my account. And yes it has the sh*tty orange software bar down the left hand side of the screen like most SPV models. So, I got a new car yesterday (panda 100HP) and it has bluetooth connectivity for handsfree speaking in the car. Yay I though, a chance to try this new gadget out!! The nokia wouldnt do a bluetooth search at all. It could be found with other phones, and paired with other phones, but it couldnt do a search, therefor I couldnt find my Panda, bast*rd!!

Took it back to the Orange shop today and he said 'Hang on' and disappeared back shop, shortly returning with a piece of paper with instructions to update the software via the nokia site. So I came home and did it, and it paired with the Panda no problem, so now the bluetooth works.

Also, what else I found after the software update is, under settings/general/personalisation/standby mode, you can get rid of the stupid orange bar on the left hand side, making your N95 appear and act like an unbranded phone. Wether this was on the phone before the software update I dunno. As today was really the only time I've had to play about with the phone. Already surfed the net with it via my home wi-fi, it's cool, I like my choice :P :)

Guest pd.ryder
Already surfed the net with it via my home wi-fi, it's cool, I like my choice :D :)

Hmm - just don't even try doing that when out and about - unless you've got a very sturdy bank account :P

;)

Guest Confucious

:) :P not only stayed with Orange but went for a Nokia as well? Poor you ;)

If you're happy with O , fine, but ther high data prices made me leave and I didn't realise how bad they were 'til I joined T.

The spec of the N95 is good, why on earth they didn't tell you about the cashback beats me, how many people haven't gone for it because of the price, I wonder? All you read about it on these forums is that it's slow and buggy, hopefully the latest software update has fixed all the problems. can you do a review on Mobiholics and let us know how it compares to a WM phone when you've had it a few days?

Good luck.

Guest truscotsman72
:) :P not only stayed with Orange but went for a Nokia as well? Poor you ;)

If you're happy with O , fine, but ther high data prices made me leave and I didn't realise how bad they were 'til I joined T.

The spec of the N95 is good, why on earth they didn't tell you about the cashback beats me, how many people haven't gone for it because of the price, I wonder? All you read about it on these forums is that it's slow and buggy, hopefully the latest software update has fixed all the problems. can you do a review on Mobiholics and let us know how it compares to a WM phone when you've had it a few days?

Good luck.

Sure! Like I said it would'nt do a bluetooth search before I did the software update. It also froze on me a few times, but since Ive did the update, it seems to be running faster and smoother. It's only been 24hrs, so I'll give it a week and get back to posting a review :D

• 1 month later...
Guest goochy1

I'm still with orange though i'm thinking of T-Mobile because Orange charge me 40p/p/m to another network and 20p/p/m to Orange or landline where as T-mobiles new offer is 15p/p/m to absolutely EVERYONE (name of the package) and i keep 10p a text to everyone just as i would with orange.

Consequences:::::

I have a SPV C550 locked to orange (as far as i'm aware) and would therefore need to unlock my mobile which would also mess up my internet access. Could anyone please advise me as i'm unsure whether my local cornershops will unlock smartphone's their generally for phones such as Sony Erricsons or Nokias.

Thank you

Goochy1

Guest pd.ryder
I'm still with orange though i'm thinking of T-Mobile because Orange charge me 40p/p/m to another network and 20p/p/m to Orange or landline where as T-mobiles new offer is 15p/p/m to absolutely EVERYONE (name of the package) and i keep 10p a text to everyone just as i would with orange.

Consequences:::::

I have a SPV C550 locked to orange (as far as i'm aware) and would therefore need to unlock my mobile which would also mess up my internet access. Could anyone please advise me as i'm unsure whether my local cornershops will unlock smartphone's their generally for phones such as Sony Erricsons or Nokias.

Thank you

Goochy1

Hey Goochy1 -- I unlocked that C550 long ago so it should work fine on TMob (if it won't I'll get it sorted for you - it's software stuff which is easily done via that guy's site I pointed you towards ages ago - arrrrgh can't remember his name - toooo early!!).

There are TMob CAB files on this forum which will install all the TMob settings you'll need too so you shouldn't have any probs there either.

;)

Guest chucky.egg
The thing is, the reason most have moved (I believe) is the unlimited data for ?7.50

Now, if they add extra services in future it's a good thing, but the only thing that they can do that would p1ss us all off is withdrawing the data bundle. Compare that to Orange who withdrew loads of innovative services over the last 12 months.

I can't see them sinking as far as Orange did in with customers, because it'll be pretty hard to annoy us to the same extent.

Not sure quoting yourself is the done thing, but...

Lately I've been having problems with GPRS (effectively I don't get any anymore) which is making me look at Vodafone.

I wouldn't say they've annoyed me, I've moved house after all - not their fault!, but I need the service so I'll change if I have to.

I know I'm not alone in this situation, but is anyone else considering swapping networks again?

Hey Goochy1 -- I unlocked that C550 long ago so it should work fine on TMob (if it won't I'll get it sorted for you - it's software stuff which is easily done via that guy's site I pointed you towards ages ago - arrrrgh can't remember his name - toooo early!!).

There are TMob CAB files on this forum which will install all the TMob settings you'll need too so you shouldn't have any probs there either.

;)

I can confirm the C550 works fine with TMob. Can't remember how I unlocked it but I definitely did it for free with tools found on Modaco.

Guest goochy1
Hey Goochy1 -- I unlocked that C550 long ago so it should work fine on TMob.

;)

Cheers I never knew i just always assumed it was locked on Orange seen as you were on orange before your Tmob move.

I may be having a change of number soon then - i'll let you know !

Cheers

Goochy1

Guest pd.ryder

There's a lengthy post by Mini-Man about unlocking the 550 - do a search and I'm sure it'll pop up. I'm posting from the Vario II atm but once home I'll have a look & post back.

;)

Guest goochy1

There isn't a problem anymore because Orange this morning have informed me that they have changed the usual flatrate PAYG tarrif. 15p/p/m to absolutely anybody and still 10p a text, perhaps they are aware that soo many people are leaving and that offer sounds so much like the one i have quoted above.

Cheers

Goochy1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zippy172

I left Orange in favour of T-Mobile because I was sick to the back teeth of O dragging their heels with the launch of the TyTN II, and the prospect of paying rediculous data charges to use the phone properly !

I just left.

My Orange bill was £80+ a month.

I wanted the Kaiser, but no-one in Orange knew about the SPV M3100 replacement despite T-mobile already shipping the equivalent model to them.

Add the fact that Orange's 'unlimited' web tariff is only 30mb and it doesn't take long to do the maths.

Very poor on Orange's part and all for a one-off cost of fixing their back-end communication / testing processes (of which the business case would pay for itself in no time at all).

Poor show Orange. Yet another high net-worth business customer has left to join T-Mobile.

O.

Guest chucky.egg

Sad to say that I left T this week, to go to V

T's GPRS coverage where I live now was just shocking, and at work it was patchy. I got to the point that I had "no" GPRS data coverage.

Very sad to leave, but I've come to rely on data since T made it affordable. I'll miss the Flext way of things.

Guest pd.ryder
Sad to say that I left T this week, to go to V

T's GPRS coverage where I live now was just shocking, and at work it was patchy. I got to the point that I had "no" GPRS data coverage.

Very sad to leave, but I've come to rely on data since T made it affordable. I'll miss the Flext way of things.

I must admit, I've never been inpressed by T's signal capabilities. I can have 2-3 bars of 3G when outside the hospital I work in, yet indoors I've got no signal whatsoever, GPRS nor nuffink, and that's in a so-called City. It's really frustrating and I'm assured it's related to the frequencies that T use - ie being unable to penetrate basic walling materials.

It's a real shame that they're let down by such a basic concept / system failure.

Guest Confucious

I wonder if it's just a prob;em with 2/2.5G luckily everywhere I go I get 3/3.5G coverage and it's good inside and out.

Must be very frustrating not being able to get coverage from T - I would hate to only have 120Mb per month, how restricting?!

Good luck woth V Chucky - let us know what you think of them.

Guest chucky.egg

120Mb is more than enough for my current needs, but it's not a Gig is it?

V didn't get off to a good start.

Ordered a port online.

A few days later I got 3 emails - 2 said the order was being processed, one said it had been cancelled!

Called them a few times - nobody could find any record of my order!

Finally got someone who could help - they won't ship the phone til 3 days before the port. My port was Monday which didn't leave any room for problems with shipping. They wouldn't budge AT ALL on this. "Computer says no"

Got the phone in time, and the port day went without incident.

Happy enough so far, certainly better coverage where I am, but still a little disappointed to have left T