'Sniper!' Testing Places Full! Completely Full So Dont Even Ask!

Guest greenturtle

Guest leethacker
Just wanted to run this passed you all. I am thinking that it would be better if when Sniper started it asked you if you wanted to be On or On & Discoverable. I can't see a reason to have Sniper running with BlueTooth off. You would still be able to switch between the two modes using the usual BlueTooth menu.

Then when you exit Sniper it asks if you want to switch BlueTooth off ort leave it on.

Two words: DO IT! :) :) ;)

Guest iforevans
Two words: DO IT! :) :) ;)

Heh heh, I'll take that as a *yes* then :D

Good because it makes my life a lot easier in some ways.

Cheers

...Ifor

Guest conan_troutman

er kind of a redundent question really wasn't it......

redundent man i hear that word a lot lately

ifor we is hungry for this applet

Guest iforevans
er kind of a redundent question really wasn't it......

redundent man i hear that word a lot lately

ifor we is hungry for this applet

I am working with Handango right now to provide an automatically generated registration code on purchase. Shoulda read the doumentation before building my reg coding :-(

Once that is tested and working (hopefully by this evening) it will be live and buyable hopefully for you guys by the morning.

Cheers

...Ifor

Guest iforevans
Hey ifor, but please release a final beta before you put it on Handago so we can do a final function-check.

Hi, you've got the final beta. Its the one you're using 1.0.136 RC5.

Any issues with it?

...Ifor

Guest iforevans

Any issues with it?

...Ifor

The only thing in the final release that's not in the version you have is that Sniper will ask you what mode to swtich BlueTooth on to when you startup if it's not already on. And when you exit Sniper it will ask you if you want to turn BlueTooth off. That's it.

...Ifor

Edited by iforevans

Guest jameshpg

Any issues with it?

...Ifor

Hi Ifor,

I'm looking thoroughly at Sniper and I've noticed this:

1) You should explain what the Fix command does (and others, like Bluejack!) because for the less computer literate amongst us, they won't have a clue about ASCII coding and such like :) so you'll be getting dozens of emails asking <_<

2) Skins should be given names that appear at the top of each like a title because then people can see which version is for their high-res screen or otherwise

3) I agree with conan who I think mentioned different colours for different menu screens. It can get a little confusing because Sniper has so many options and it's like a going down a rabbit hole with the different screens one can arrive at (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_hole)! Either different colours (could be tricky and time consuming for user to customize each one) or a title at each screen or little icons in one corner to symbolize the Scanner for example:

post-60376-1150130874_thumb.gif

or at the main screen where you messages will go once you have some - some people may be like "humm where's my messages?" so you could put a nice little picture on the main screen

post-60376-1150130926_thumb.jpg

4) On the 'Manage Incoming Files' option screen could you make it so when you press Action on each file type it opens for 'Updating'? Just saves selecting each one and going Option>Update. Also people that don't know what it does may just click around and then realize that it selects the folder

5) Possibly make a 'Help' menu on the main screen for FAQ like default folders, sending messages guides and anything at all relevant

6) On install, add a speed dial shortcut key or an auto-boot function (I know it will please conan :) )

Well thats just about all from me so I think you should add these so we can test them before the final release.

Hope I've helped,

James

post-60376-1150129852_thumb.gif

post-60376-1150130284_thumb.jpg

Guest iforevans

Hi James, thanks for the detailed response.

>>You should explain what the Fix command does (and others, like Bluejack!) because for the less computer literate amongst us, they won't have a clue about ASCII coding and such like :) so you'll be getting dozens of emails asking

You don't have to know what the endoing schemes mean. You just have try each one and see which one makes sense of the message.

>>Skins should be given names that appear at the top of each like a title because then people can see which version is for their high-res screen or otherwise

Good idea, may make it into the release tonight.

>>Possibly make a 'Help' menu on the main screen for FAQ like default folders, sending messages guides and anything at all relevant

I shall be working on a user manual to explain all this stuff with the release.

>>Well thats just about all from me so I think you should add these so we can test them before the final release.

Only the stuff I mentioned will now be added. No more, sorry otherwise I'll never finish. But I've saved all your comments for the V1.1 or V2 release.

Cheers James.

...Ifor

Guest iforevans
Hello! I am using a MPx220 and I would love to try Sniper! :)

Well, you don't have too much longer to wait. It will be released on Handango either tonight or tommorow.

Cheers

...ifor

Guest iforevans

Hey guys,

I'm putting Sniper on Handango right now. But I'm struggling on the product description.

How would you describe Sniper? What keywords would you use for searching?

Cheers

...Ifor

Guest conan_troutman

chat, bluejack, file share,

do you like to chat to people you dont know do you like to share jokes funny pictures sound files and video

do you hate the cost of MMS

well now you can do it all via bluetooth

find your target take aim and fire let sniper do the rest

Guest iforevans
chat, bluejack, file share,

do you like to chat to people you dont know do you like to share jokes funny pictures sound files and video

do you hate the cost of MMS

well now you can do it all via bluetooth

find your target take aim and fire let sniper do the rest

Nice, thanks mate, I'll steal a few bits of that :-)

...Ifor

Guest conan_troutman

hey did anyone notice I became an enthusiast lately still 0%warn though what ever that means

and I quite dig some of the back grounds james put up any chance of stealing them and putting them in my skins folder james?

Edited by conan_troutman

Guest iforevans
hey did anyone notice I became an enthusiast lately still 0%warn though what ever that means

and I quite dig some of the back grounds james put up any chance of stealing them and putting them in my skins folder james?

Me too mate, you're just a few post ahead of me ;-)

BTW not sure if I said thanks to james for posting those skins ... if I din't then *thanks*.

...Ifor

Guest jameshpg

course you can matey. we're all friends here!

james

Guest iforevans
is sniper in handango already? i can't wait anymore :)

It is on Handango. But it has not yet been approved.

I received an email from them last night asking me to send them all my copyright info?

I have no idea what they mean and have requested clarification.

Sorry for the delay. I am also going to try listing it with MoDaCo today.

...Ifor

Guest jameshpg

hey Ifor,

Just a couple of things.

It would be nice to see an option which allows the user to specify the timeout settings for scanning and bluejacking. Also, instead of "Badrequest" after a horrible string of numbers (the device name), you could put, "Failed/Rejected".

Bug: When you bluejack and press "Done" I get taken back to the homescreen then I have to navigate back to Sniper on my start menu. Would be nice if it stayed in the Sniper program.

Lastly, are you sure its a good idea to have "Sent via Sniper" at the end of each message? Anyone else want to comment on that? That option could be disabled or you could make a "Signature" utility where you could actually create your own signature! Wicked!

James

Guest iforevans
hey Ifor,

Just a couple of things.

It would be nice to see an option which allows the user to specify the timeout settings for scanning and bluejacking. Also, instead of "Badrequest" after a horrible string of numbers (the device name), you could put, "Failed/Rejected".

Bug: When you bluejack and press "Done" I get taken back to the homescreen then I have to navigate back to Sniper on my start menu. Would be nice if it stayed in the Sniper program.

Lastly, are you sure its a good idea to have "Sent via Sniper" at the end of each message? Anyone else want to comment on that? That option could be disabled or you could make a "Signature" utility where you could actually create your own signature! Wicked!

James

Hi james,

When you press done on the bluejack form you end up on the homescreen? That doesn't happen on *any* of my test devices! What device are you using again? Please don't say the E200 ;-)

I am definitly looking into much nicer error messages for V1.1.

I love the signature idea!

Update on the release. I have submitted Sniper to Mobihand.com. They do MoDaCo's software shop, Handango.com and Smartphone.net. I am still waiting for approval. I'll keep you guys posted when its available.

Cheers

...Ifor

Guest jameshpg
Hi james,

When you press done on the bluejack form you end up on the homescreen? That doesn't happen on *any* of my test devices! What device are you using again? Please don't say the E200 ;-)

Cheers

...Ifor

Hi Ifor,

Na, given up on the E200! Just a testing device...

Anyway, the homescreen problem is when you are at any menu screen except for the main menu and you press Home or you take a call or somehow you "come out" of Sniper and its not quit. Then when you relaunch Sniper from the start menu you come back to the menu you left but then when you exit that menu using "Done" or whatever is available, you are taken back to the Homescreen.

Let me know if you need pictures though I don't know how to get a series of pictures to slideshow through showing the stages. Any ideas?

James

Edited by jameshpg

Guest iforevans
Hi Ifor,

Na, given up on the E200! Just a testing device...

Anyway, the homescreen problem is when you are at any menu screen except for the main menu and you press Home or you take a call or somehow you "come out" of Sniper and its not quit. Then when you relaunch Sniper from the start menu you come back to the menu you left but then when you exit that menu using "Done" or whatever is available, you are taken back to the Homescreen.

Let me know if you need pictures though I don't know how to get a series of pictures to slideshow through showing the stages. Any ideas?

James

Aaaa that ;-) That is because Windows Mobile treats each form in the application as separate. If you go look in the task manager when you are in the scanner you will see both Sniper & the Scanner listed.

So when you leave Sniper and then go back you go back to the scanner form and close it Windows has lost track of the fact that you came from the Sniper form and takes you back to the homescreen.

I *think* there may be a way around this problem tho'. Let me investigate. If its workaroundable the fix will be in V1.1

Well, spooted mate.

...Ifor

Guest iforevans

Well guys .... Sniper is OUT!

http://www.smartphone.net/software_detail....eid=279&id=2339

There is a trial version which will last for 7 days. BETA testers you will probably find that Sniper will report itself as expired as soon as you install this version, so you'll need to purchase a registration code.

*IMPORTANT* if you buy a copy, when asked for your device id you *MUST* enter the id EXACTLY as shown on the Sniper registration screen. The registration calculation is *CASE-SENSITIVE*

As I've said before, all those Beta testers who have been helpful and provided feedback, good OR bad can PM me when they've bought a copy and I'll do a two-for-one deal. So if you've got a friend or spouse they can have a freebie :-)

The Download from Smartphone.net also includes a small manual and the PocketPC CABS as well as the Smartphone ones.

Thanks for all your help!

PS if anyone feels like writing rave reviews ... i'll not stand in your way :-)

...Ifor

Edited by iforevans