How many people do you know with a Windows based mobile?

Guest Laser_iCE

Guest awarner (MVP)

Converted a few ppl at work and when I was in hospital one of the doctors still had the MPX200.

My neighbour has an MPX200 given to him as a work phone by his company which surprised me.

Guest Pondrew

I work in Software Development at least for the moment. Noticed the other day that a Senior Business Analyst had an HTC Wizard (didn't notice which incarnation). Meanwhile the developer's personal devices include have an MDA Compact II, XDA Exec, a few MDA Varios and the other day I helped a colleague set up his bluetooth gps with TomTom Navigator on his iPaq...

Also my family have a few Windows Mobile devices scattered around with my brother having an XDA Exec and my father an SPV C500 along with my old Classic SPV which sits in a drawer. Meanwhile I'm packing(!) an MDA Compact II, and an SPV C550 while an MPX200 sits at home. My best mate from uni days now has my old all black SPV C500 too...

Guest pd.ryder

Just the one mate with a C500 (who hasn't a clue how smart his smartphone can be!), wifey has my old E200 (which was a brand new, shiney replacement before she had it - now mashed to bits!) Like sporky said a few posts ago, if folk can't get their cheesy ringtones off the telly, they shy away. Plus most folk I know don't understand their PC apart from the 'on' button, so having to mess about with a device periodically sends then running for cover.

They're all impressed when I show 'em what can be achieved with video compression, dowloadable applications etc, but none of them have jumped off the Nokia / Samsung / Sony Erricson ship yet :)

Edited by pd.ryder

Guest ian_c
Whey sunny bolton...thought i was the only one on here from there lol

Likewise... my god there is three of us!

I have one mate with a wizard (techie) and he was somewhat behind me... a couple of sales managers at work got wizards after they saw my MDA compact..

I was an old Psion fan, so followed the symbian OS through Nokia 7650 and SE P900, and then broke free to the MDA compact (magician)

Tonight I visit someone that wants a smaller handset and trade my compact :) for an o2 exec... :)

The "better half" has matched me since the 7650 (and even a diversion to an NEC three handset.. ick) but is sticking with her magician for now.

Guest mitch1974

I've got a C600, and when I upgraded my housemate bought my C500 off me.

I work with a few doctors who have XDA Execs, another one had a C500, not sure what he's upgraded to though.

I see a lot of IT techs with various devices, normally they have variations on the HTC Blue Angel though.

Guest Laser_iCE

Yeah, I've seen a few BA's around, mainly labourers like electricians and plumbers.

I almost got one of my mates to buy a WM smartphone, but instead he went with 3 and got a 6280... Then last night he was playing with my K-JAM and realized the mistake that he made by not going with a WM powered phone...

It's just a shame that they do have to be a tad bit more expensive than most of the other phones that catch on (3310 back in the day, razr v3 atm), otherwise I think we'd see a lot more people with them :)

Guest mandt

Well who would beleive it!

in the pub earlier then a bit of shopping with the missus and I saw two Wizards and an SP5. the first WM devices I have seen on total strangers

Maybe they are catching on after all...

Guest sporkguy
Well who would beleive it!

in the pub earlier then a bit of shopping with the missus and I saw two Wizards and an SP5. the first WM devices I have seen on total strangers

Maybe they are catching on after all...

lol - I carry a Wizard AND an SP5 around with me - perhaps you saw me? ;)

seeing a fellow SP5 owner, given how 'rare' they are, would quite possibly make me smile :]

My sister wanted a new phone for her birthday back in february and I suggested a C500 based on the copious amounts of memory Orange were throwing in with the 'music hero' pack - she loves it - mainly because she can play solitaire and bejeweled on there tho lol.

I think the large screen was a big seller as well - she loves being able to show her friends photos fullscreen and not have to squint.

My brother in law has an M500 after me and his brother had one ourselves - he loved the idea of being able to get his emails on the move, especially as he works for quite a big company. He'll be upgrading to an M600 on the business account soon :)

Then there are the people who I used to work with (back at Orange) - 2 of the guys had Varios, after coming up from C500s, one of them had an SP5 for a while before he killed it, and they both thoroughly love their Varios - tho had to use a two penny piece to take off the Tmobile logos for obvious reasons lol.

Then my other mate who also works there, he has an M600 - but is selling it cause he's going travelling for a while soon and needs something more robust.

Also you have to take into consideration the hundreds of customers who have been convinced that the WM phones we sell are the mutt's nuts - and lots and lots of them are happy I recommended it to them :)

Guest impy78

Hee hee!

I only know of three other people with windows mobiles - one with a vario, one with the original mda compact, and one with a c600.

I show my friends mine, and mostly, they just sort of roll their eyes at me, and say:

"I don't care as long as it makes and receives calls and texts".

You need to bear in mind that a lot of my mates can't send an mms, so I think they might spontaneously combust if you gave them my mda compact II

Guest Laser_iCE
You need to bear in mind that a lot of my mates can't send an mms, so I think they might spontaneously combust if you gave them my mda compact II

LOL

Guest chrisbpr

after me getting my vario ,three of my work mates followed suit.

we are all electrical enginneers & all the mechanical guys at my place all stick with their sonys & nokias....something in that i think :)

Guest ryr154
here in Ireland I've only ever seen 4 smartphones/ ppc phones and they've all been mine lol

we're usually about 5 years behind the UK and none of our operators really stock them (yet!)

gR

I'm in ireland and I have the Imate SP5. It has to be the best phone I have ever had.

I haven’t seen anyone else with them.

A funny story

I had problems getting my MMS working on my SP5 so I went to Car Phone Whore House (Yea you heard me)

“Excuse me can you help…. I am trying to get MMS working on this phone” as I hand him the phone.

“WOW Mary look at this. I have heard about them but just never seen one”

It was at this point I asked for the phone back and left the shop.

To date I still cant get MMS to work reliably on the o2 network.

Sometimes I can send MMS but never receive them.

As of writing this I have noticed Vodafone Ireland are now supplying the SP5 (Under there own name) to new bill customers. O2 will be supplying it in the coming year as the o2 IQ.

Edited by ryr154

Guest jm012a9749

i know 4 people who have c550's (one being my gf who pursuaded me to give her mine somehow :) ) one who had an e200 but then threw it at a wall one day when it crashed and it never worked again..... just as well he got a new phone for his bday 3 days after. his dad has about 5 iPaqs of various models. and one person who has a c600. also i have spotted numerous WM phones on those swanky virgin tilting trains going from birmingham to london (3 on my last journey)

Phil

Edited by jm012a9749

Guest awarner (MVP)
all the mechanical guys at my place all stick with their sonys & nokias....something in that i think :)

Never a true word said :)

Guest pookiecheeks

hello all,

..let me start by first saying i'll never go back to a 'normal' mobile phone again. i know others slate windows based mobiles, but i totally love my spv m2000.

..right, at work i was hounded for weeks about me and my 'brick', yet when people actually got to 'play' with it they were somewhat gobsmacked. i've now educated five colleagues to upgrade to smartphones, and three others to pocketpcs. then there's my sister who now has a smartphone and two friends, one who has a smartphone and one who has a pocketpc... oh, and also my mother who now uses my old spv e200(is this an age record ?)

i haven't seen many people around town with such mobiles, but observation isn't really my best feature !

pookiecheeks