T-Mobile ship MSFP (AKU2) updates to UK customers

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest chrisbpr

I upgraded from the imate rom last nite & I must say that my vario feels very snappy & seems to download web pages a lot faster...so far so good.

Guest impy78

MDA Compact II

Well, I did it, after finding the damn thing!

(I had some cache issues!)

The only real difference I can see is the connection manager and a bit of a pants battery monitor in the top today bar.

Is the push email on the compact, anyone, oris it just the vario and the prophet that get that?

Guest tsutton

Quick update:

Programs seems to run a lot faster/quicker than previous ROM. This was before and after T-Mobile CABs and it still runs faster.

So I started clean (hard reset) and stopped the T-Mobile CABs before it started to install it (take battery out) and only installed what I needed from the Extended ROM area so I can keep the T-Mobile crap out. :)

So far so good! Haven't seen it rebooting itself yet, so perhaps good news...

Guest eyecam
Must be asked a lotta times before....but any recommendations on cheap/free push email providers?

I'm using mail2web

follow the instructions from this handy topic.

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=240460&hl=

all works well on the new ROM.

LEAP is a Cisco auth for Wireless LAN's, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_E...cation_Protocol

You can get the Wireless Plugin and loads of tweaks using this nifty util.

You need to register to download files.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic....asc&start=0

Bluetooth audio tweak, (i haven't tried this yet)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=48502

Note all the stuff on XDA develpoers can break stuff, but hey you only just upgraded your ROM so a rebuild is fine right ?

Have fun

Guest impy78
Is the push email on the compact, anyone, oris it just the vario and the prophet that get that?

Scrap that, I just spoke to T-Mobile (who hadn't been told the rom was out yet), who advised that push email is not available on the network, other than on a blackberry yet, but it will be released in the next couple of weeks, with an ad campaign.

Also saw this on the rom upgrade site itself:

The BlackBerry connect software is currently not available on the MDA Compact II.

'Coming Soon'

Edited by impy78

Guest Swampie

I've updated my Vario to the latest ROM but now find that, when charging/syncing via USB (which I do all day at work), the phone now regularly auto-locks itself, showing the Password screen. I had the Password enabled before, but it never asked for it until, either I turned the device off, or a certain amount of time elapsed - but never whilst it was on USB sync/charge.

Any advice?

Guest tsutton
I've updated my Vario to the latest ROM but now find that, when charging/syncing via USB (which I do all day at work), the phone now regularly auto-locks itself, showing the Password screen. I had the Password enabled before, but it never asked for it until, either I turned the device off, or a certain amount of time elapsed - but never whilst it was on USB sync/charge.

Yes, I see it too. Seems to be 30 seconds. Can't find anything in the settings to turn it off. Guess we need to do some registry tweaks! Hopefully someone will find a way to do this.

Guest chucky.egg

If you're using a corporate Push Email facility then the timeout may be specified by your IT Support.

They can enforce policies on any device that sync's with the Exchange Server, and if you don't accept the policy then you can't sync.

Guest Swampie
If you're using a corporate Push Email facility then the timeout may be specified by your IT Support.

They can enforce policies on any device that sync's with the Exchange Server, and if you don't accept the policy then you can't sync.

Plus they can remotely hard reset the device if they want.

Another reason to be nice to your sys admin. :)

Guest mandt
So I started clean (hard reset) and stopped the T-Mobile CABs before it started to install it (take battery out) and only installed what I needed from the Extended ROM area so I can keep the T-Mobile crap out. :)

Yeah I was thinking of doing the same myself, Don't suppose anyone has a proper list of what all the CABs in the extended ROM are? (or may try a bit of trial and error)

On another note I was digging throught the registry and there are some Spb GPRS monitor entries, looks like this is included in the new ROM somewhere...

Guest rockykabir

I followed the method for adding Mail2web on my phone (thanks to the poster who gave the link!).

But is it just me, but it doesn't seem to be instantenous? In fact, I receive my test email a good 1-2 minutes afterwards. Is this to do with mail2web's servers?

EDIT: it's ok now :)

Edited by rockykabir

Guest impy78
The MDA Compact II, as it's AKU2, gets Microsoft Exchange (DirectPush) push mail.

:)

P

Hiya, I have just checked, and microsoft exchange is not on my MDA compact II after the rom upgrade. :)

Guest CaptainZok
I did a hard reset and let the phone install the t-mobile customisations and the wireless plugin was no longer on the today screen and it wasn't listed as a today item so that I couldn't add it.

Does anybody know how to get this plugin back ?

Thanks

Stuart

Try merging these registry files, ones for the wireless plugin and the other is the msn plugin taken from the compact II but seems to work ok on my pro.

Hope that helps.

today_plugins.rar

Guest tsutton
Thanks tsutton, d'you know I browsed that website for an hour last night looking for this!!

Heh, you're welcome.

I searched for it on google using

vario extended rom xda

and followed the result. :)

Guest davejphartley
Yeah I was thinking of doing the same myself, Don't suppose anyone has a proper list of what all the CABs in the extended ROM are? (or may try a bit of trial and error)

On another note I was digging throught the registry and there are some Spb GPRS monitor entries, looks like this is included in the new ROM somewhere...

--------------

hi I'm new to updating roms. I have a vario on tmobbile contract. I'd like to get rid o the custikmisation cabs.. bit it seems a llittle risky interupting a rom installation. is it afe. am I able to do it? and does it require lightining reflexes?

what I'm after is a walkthrough really. how do we know when to pull the battery?

thanks

Guest mandt

firstly if you don't have it download total commander from HERE

hard reset the phone (make sure you have a fully charged battery first)

just after you align the screen and it asks you if you want to set a password, the phone will say 'customizing in three seconds' or something like that!

then simply soft-reset

install total commander, fire it up and in the address bar type '\extended_rom' (without quotes)

and use the guide from tsuttons post to decide what exactly you want/need to install :)

Haven't done mine yet but will do soon!

EDIT: seems you have already been answered in another thread, where you posted the same question

Edited by mandt

Guest aznsolo

Can anyone help me. I tried to install the rom I downloaded for the Vario. But when I update, its telling me its not for my phone?

I am sure I downloaded the right one.

Guest Pondrew

@aznsolo, is your MDA Vario a UK model? If so the T-Mobile UK Vario rom downloadable from here should run without problems.

Don't let the name Prodigy in the rom exe file confuse you, that's the HTC product name (it's the HTC Wizard platform but the product name is apparently HTC Prodigy).

If it's not working can you tell us what error you get or what happens?

Guest Pondrew

If it's not a UK device and not being used in the UK I'd say stick with your own providers rom. That is unless you're extremely confident of being able to re-configure the data settings...

You've probably already guessed that the reason it won't install is because the rom is only intended for UK devices and so the CID in your device doesn't match the one the installer is looking for. There's a way of unlocking your device for any rom (search for CID unlock or ask here) but as I said above I wouldn't recommend it.

• 2 months later...
Guest NetSpider

Hi guys,

Found lots of helpful info on this website

Wonder if there are any new updates for MDA Vario to be able to connect stereo bluetooth headset??

Will be greatful for any advice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.