T-Mobile to turn on HSDPA service on 1st August

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Guest Confucious

I love browsing on 3G but you can never have enough speed! How ever fast it is you always want it to be faster, not having tried HSDPA I don't know how it will perform in real life.

Only way to find out if T is flexible is to ask, but I would have thought that if they can get out of giving you the 25% off they would!

Guest Syphon Filter
I love browsing on 3G but you can never have enough speed! How ever fast it is you always want it to be faster, not having tried HSDPA I don't know how it will perform in real life.

Only way to find out if T is flexible is to ask, but I would have thought that if they can get out of giving you the 25% off they would!

The way i see it is that if they are flexible they will get more money from me than less.

I wont change my contract if i lose the 25% on everything. But if they let me keep the 25% on the Flext AND also allow me to change to HSDPA (with or without 25%) they will get more money from me.

Guest Confucious
I wont change my contract if i lose the 25% on everything. But if they let me keep the 25% on the Flext AND also allow me to change to HSDPA (with or without 25%) they will get more money from me.

Only way to find out is to ask T! Let us know what they say.

Guest shenson
implies that there may well be a very long wait for those of us holding out for a Hemes to show up before we make the jump to T....

And I so want to leave O....

You could always go SIM only for a few months until the right handset comes along. That's what I'm doing and quite a few others too. Yep and it looks like the Hermes is the "right handset" for me too if the deal is right...

Guest Syphon Filter
Only way to find out is to ask T! Let us know what they say.

I tried calling, but they know nothing as yet. CS are totally not in the loop and i couldnt be bothered with going through the hassle of getting through to someone that would know.

Guest clv101

What's so great about HSDPA? Okay, so the data rate will be 2-3 times that of release 99 and the latency will come down from ~250ms to ~100ms... but is that really important? TBH 300kbps and 250ms is already fantastic and doesn't need improvement.

HSDPA also isn't as mobile as release 99 due to not being able to support soft hand over.

Why are people excited about HSDPA?

Guest Pondrew

Well, most of that went over my head so I'm definately not qualified to answer that! :)

EDIT: on second thoughts, you've already said yourself that the data rate will be 2-3 times. Remember that faster transfer rates will always be considered better when it comes to data...

Guest Syphon Filter
What's so great about HSDPA? Okay, so the data rate will be 2-3 times that of release 99 and the latency will come down from ~250ms to ~100ms... but is that really important? TBH 300kbps and 250ms is already fantastic and doesn't need improvement.

HSDPA also isn't as mobile as release 99 due to not being able to support soft hand over.

Why are people excited about HSDPA?

For mobile workers the increase in data speed would be well worth it.

Guest Confucious

Ah, but release 99 is more mobile....

Does anyone know what releae 99 is? clv101 can you explain?

All we know is data transfer rates will be faster on HSDPA - isn't that a good thing?

Guest clv101

Sorry, release 99 is the 384kbps dedicated channels we're using today. HSDPA is release 5, which instead of allocating dedicated channels to each user just uses one shared channel, with users allocated time on this channel based on their instantaneous radio conditions. Users are only sent data when they are best able to receive it increasing average throughput..

Anyway... sure the data rate will be increased but so what? By the time we're at a couple of hundred kbps extra data rate really isn't very useful. Did my 512kbps -> 2mbps ADSL upgrade make much difference? Nope, not unless I'm download hundreds of mb files which isn't something anyone is going to be doing on mobile tariffs. Of course HSDPA doesn

Guest Syphon Filter
Sorry, release 99 is the 384kbps dedicated channels we're using today. HSDPA is release 5, which instead of allocating dedicated channels to each user just uses one shared channel, with users allocated time on this channel based on their instantaneous radio conditions. Users are only sent data when they are best able to receive it increasing average throughput..

Anyway... sure the data rate will be increased but so what? By the time we're at a couple of hundred kbps extra data rate really isn't very useful. Did my 512kbps -> 2mbps ADSL upgrade make much difference? Nope, not unless I'm download hundreds of mb files which isn't something anyone is going to be doing on mobile tariffs. Of course HSDPA doesn

Guest sporkguy

Guest Confucious

Thanks for the heads up.

I was just discussing BB with a coleague at work and saying that the upgrade from 512kb to 2Mb was great and that' it's even better on the "up to" 8Mb (I get between 2 and 5.5Mb usually)

Downloading large files is something I do on T-Mobile's unlimited tarrif, Hubdog can downlad videocasts and any increase in speed is always welcome!

Guest Fleabag

Guys, some of you need a cold shower! Anyway, some clarity. Some people seem to get confused about T's tarrifs... It really is quite simple.

You can add WNW option to any tarrif, for

Edited by Fleabag

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.