MobileNomads.info: "The (non)sense of push communication"

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest Sonicr360
I can't always pick up the phone and talk to a customer while I'm sitting in a different customer's office running the meter on their billing. However I can glace at my email and see if it's an emergency or not.

Plus I also prefer to have customers underlings leave a paper trail of EXACTLY what they told me rather than having them go go their boss later and play he said she said when they forget to describe the problem correctly to me over the phone.

Socrates - Yes I would tend to agree because like myself you cannot take a call from CustomerB if you are seeing CustomerA, but even without PushEmail, I can still achieve comms in minutes (ie 3min retrieval) with no real delays and can still respond back even without CustomerA knowing :)

Also... I assume if you have PushEmail, you have a Messaging Server... therefore all the emails are in a papertrail called an Exchange Database. (Unless you are using an alternative technology with PushEmail).

If there is a requirement for it in your Business, deploy it :D

If not, then dont ;)

S.

Guest Sonicr360
Some superb points made above - apart from the guy who said we dont need it and he wont ever use it.

I wonder if he said the same about digital clocks and has an old fashioned clock by his bed. If so I wonder if he finds it frustrating if he wants to check the time in the middle of the night, he has to turn the light on so he can see the clockface?

Setting your device to sync/send-receive every 15 minutes is fine - but if there are no emails then it has a data cost for no benefit and potentially a 29 minute lag (as mentioned above) - as this could be the difference between meeting/exceeding a customers expectations and getting/keeping the business, I am all for it.

I run my own business. I pay

Guest Sonicr360

chucky.egg

the Topic is out PushEmail :) And we are all having some good opinions and reasons for using it. and if you have reasons to use it, and are happy thats good.

Also as you said, some policies in business may mean you cannot communicate with colleagues away(leave, sickness ect), but if it was something that essential my opinion is that policy could be broken (especially if it was going to cost your business money, downtime, ect). Again each to their own judgement.

For others there may not be a cost incentive or a real requirement for it.

As Technology comes along, things will always adapt and change. Its up to use to make better use of it where possible to establish better ways of communication.

;)

Guest Confucious

I have push email. I already had the MS action pack so extra cost to set up server was nil.

I love it :)

If you don't fine, but for me it's great.

Guest Sonicr360

LOL good Old Action pack... you just GOTTA love it!!!!!

Well worth it in my TRUE opinion... even if you DONT want PushEmail :)

Guest nickcornaglia

I agree PUSH email is better than PULL.

But is it easy to set up for the masses. That is the real question here.

Setting up third party servers for personal use is too much for the average Joe to do. Make it as easy as sms and it would be better.

Guest Confucious

True, I use mine in place of SMS whenever possible, it's as quick (or quicker) you're not limited to 160 Chars and you don't pay for it and you can send attachments etc. great when chatting to people at work or home or who also have push...

Guest Sonicr360
True, I use mine in place of SMS whenever possible, it's as quick (or quicker) you're not limited to 160 Chars and you don't pay for it and you can send attachments etc. great when chatting to people at work or home or who also have push...

My SMS are free :) On a slightly different note - you mentioned SMS are limited to 160 - Do you mean sending and receiving 160 is the limit? Only I ask this, because my other phone exceeds the 160 limit and allows me to send as much as I like. The recepient will get as many SMS messages as possible to complete the message.

But of course, its not a replacement for PE

Guest Confucious

An SMS is limited to 160 chars, most modern phones will allow you to type more than this but will then charge for another SMS depending on how many chars you type. most modern phones can then receive these long tesxts but on some it comes through as separate messages- not necessarily in the right order and some will only received the first one (I believe)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.