Orange unlimited data?

Guest Wozbacca

Guest dearsina

This might not matter much, but both T-Mobile's network and CS is not as good as Orange.

I was on the mighty O until June, when I switched over. Yes, my bills were cut in half, and I'm enjoying unlimited GPRS, but with no WM5 (no push emails then) on the SDA and an avarage wait time of 20min to get thru to CS, it's not all smiles. Not to mention the remarkable number of times I simply don't get texts until I make a call on the network.

T is cheaper, but you understand why after a while.

Edited by dearsina

Guest nforsans
This might not matter much, but both T-Mobile's network and CS is not as good as Orange.

I was on the mighty O until June, when I switched over. Yes, my bills were cut in half, and I'm enjoying unlimited GPRS, but with no WM5 (no push emails then) on the SDA and an avarage wait time of 20min to get thru to CS, it's not all smiles. Not to mention the remarkable number of times I simply don't get texts until I make a call on the network.

I left Orange for TMobile a year ago and I've not had any single reason to complain. Bills cut by half but also much better support through the my account section of T's website -why do you need to call CS when you can manage your accout, add bundles and stuff on line? T's automated support is much better than Orange's, and I have not had to call CS once since er. last year..!

Plus unlimited data offering + good handsets, etc.

Those who argue in favour of Orange CS never back up their claims..!

Guest Charlie Mouse

I just spoke to Orange and the CS guy finally managed to find the bundle that everyone is talking about (it was only realeased today) but...

1. It is only for 3G customers.

2. You can only have it if you have a Panther or Premier subscription.

3. You might only be able to have it if Orange marketing ring you up and offer it to you (and you meet the other two criteria).

All in all a bit pants really!

I asked if there were any other GPRS bundles available and he replied that none of the existing GPRS packages had been updated and there were no no ones.

I really hope someone else has more luck...

Out of interest, can you use a 3G sim card in a Prophet? Do Orange charge to upgrade your account to 3G? I assume I can become a 3G customer without having a 3G phone...

Guest Pondrew

Must admit, like Nforsans, I've got no complaints with T-Mobiles performance compared to Orange.

Having taken a T-Mobile contract about 2 years ago and continuing to have an Orange contract as well, I have found T-Mobile to be no worse then Orange in any way what so ever. In fact, I'd have to say that my experience of their customer service and web site is far better then my experience with Orange. Also I find that signal wise T-Mobile often out do Orange although it does depend on where in the country you are.

Now the SDA II (which presumably you have Dearsina?) is something I can understand complaints about given I had the SPV C550 version of the HTC Hurricane (same platform) and had problems with it on both Orange and T-Mobile despite trying both providers roms as well...

Guest Dr Who
I think its worth pointing out that "WAP" is just a processing method for the delivery of low-bandwidth webpages.

WAP is a way of formatting text and low-quality images in a way that allows them to be easily displayed on WAP-compatible handsets, just like HTML is used to format webpage content.

Other handsets can only visit WAP sites. This is NOT just the Orange (or Voda/Tmob/O2) portals! *Any* site written in WML (the HTML-esque language for WAP) is viewable in a WAP browser, and the majority of HTML browsers, WM's IE included, are backwards compatible. However the delivery is still over GPRS, with HSCSD ("WAP") as a fallback.

Cheers Mono. OK, so its not limited by what the Orange portal will allow, but you are limited to WML pages only? Do you think that is reading those TandC's correctly? Or are they talking about full HTML but over HSCSD only?

Guest Wozbacca

i guess we'll never actually know until we get one of these things in our hands...

but im sure there was a post a while back about a guy who had it bolt'd on when he called OCS...

also, i know about "not being able to use it as a modem blah blah" but what about putting the sim in the 3G data card? theoretically it would work fine...

as far as orange could see, the data would be coming from the device not a daisy chained device, like a pc hooked up to a phone/pda etc.

Guest Zone-MR
also, i know about "not being able to use it as a modem blah blah" but what about putting the sim in the 3G data card? theoretically it would work fine...

as far as orange could see, the data would be coming from the device not a daisy chained device, like a pc hooked up to a phone/pda etc.

Orange wouldn't know if the device is "daisy-chained" or not. They might be enforcing their policy by looking for Windows XP specific stuff during the PPP session negotiation, or possibly packet inspection to identify things at the protocol layer which are a good indication of someone using it as a modem for a PC. For example, if they run a transparent proxy and see that all HTTP sessions have the IE7b user-agent chances are you're using a PC/Laptop. Of course these things are easy to work around, but you need to know what they are looking for in order to fake it.

Guest nforsans
Can't say much at this stage, but suffice to say, not many Orange customers will be leaving for T-Mobile for a while!

More later...

To magic_peanuts: is this unlimited bundle (only available to panthers on 3G at

Guest pete.major

Well it's funny you say that because I was on Orange until about 18 months ago... I have to say that hold times on Orange CS were appaling. There were two occassions when I was hold for more than 60 minutes... I don't know if it's any better now, but I couldn't image any worse!

Edited by pete.major

Guest spacerace
Orange wouldn't know if the device is "daisy-chained" or not. They might be enforcing their policy by looking for Windows XP specific stuff during the PPP session negotiation, or possibly packet inspection to identify things at the protocol layer which are a good indication of someone using it as a modem for a PC. For example, if they run a transparent proxy and see that all HTTP sessions have the IE7b user-agent chances are you're using a PC/Laptop. Of course these things are easy to work around, but you need to know what they are looking for in order to fake it.

I agree, the phone itself is always going to be requesting the data whether it displays it on it's own screen or hands it off to a laptop or pda. I think all the networks can do it monitor traffic and look for usage that stands out from what a phone would do e.g large downloads or user agent names and WGA calls would be a giveaway !

Putting the SIM directly in a datacard would produce exactly the same results - traffic that stood out as non phone based would be flagged, and warnings most likely sent.

I think a tethered PDA would be invisible as it would pretty much mirror what a PPCPE device would do, and then you just need to avoid the stated restrictions on IM and streaming.

Guest djboo

ive recently upgraded my m2000 to an m5000. after weeks of trying to get 3g working on my payg, i get informed that i need a new sim. i get a new sim, make great use of oranges

Guest Dr Who
ive recently upgraded my m2000 to an m5000. after weeks of trying to get 3g working on my payg, i get informed that i need a new sim. i get a new sim, make great use of oranges

Guest dearsina

I should add that I was on the poncy Orange Premier service. (I was automatically added due to high bills), which seemed to help alot in terms of call-waiting times and frequency of upgrades, but most importantly, I just dialed a number to get straight to CS rather than the myriad of press-the-hash-key nonsense T serve up when you call them (I think 1 then 4 will lead you to a fairly competent bunch).

I've had to call T on avarage once a week, I'm happy to lists reasons, but it deducts from my original point that there is more to a network than saving a few quid, and that I for one did not consider them when I switched.

Guest Wozbacca

this has been one of my annoyances with orange... the fact that they dont seem to tell their staff anything...

or they tell eachother different things. its pure OCS lottery when you phone. if you get through to a knowledgable member of staff everything is really easy, but the fact you can phone up and get through to a different person each time and they know nothing about what the previous members spoke about is rediculous...

im tempted to phone up OCS 5 times in a row, and ask the same questions about the unlimited gprs bundle here and just see how many different answers i get...

so far just from this forum, (from the top of my head)

1. yes

Guest Confucious
I should add that I was on the poncy Orange Premier service. (I was automatically added due to high bills), which seemed to help alot in terms of call-waiting times and frequency of upgrades, but most importantly, I just dialed a number to get straight to CS rather than the myriad of press-the-hash-key nonsense T serve up when you call them (I think 1 then 4 will lead you to a fairly competent bunch).

I've had to call T on avarage once a week, I'm happy to lists reasons, but it deducts from my original point that there is more to a network than saving a few quid, and that I for one did not consider them when I switched.

Maybe on the premier service O are OK but I switched to T and have never been happier. Better CS (for non premier - can't coment on Premier), better coverage and amaising prices. O won't be seeing me back in a hurry!

Guest hotphil

I'd have to agree with that. I can't comment on what T-Mobile's customer service is like as because they set everything up right in the shop, I've not had to call them. Surely that's good? OCS has gone so far downhill recently I'd be embarrassed to work for them. And if they don't get this product/add-on right I think they'll really regret it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.