I got one!

Guest Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter
Hold on a minute, does this device have that same ridiculous stylus that's on the Wizard/Vario?

It's horrific.

yeah its the same one.

Guest NikLP
yeah its the same one.

Oh dear lord :) That was not a good piece of design, IMO...

Would the general consensus be that it is possible to do most work on this machine without use of the stylus or not?

Also I noted previously that apparently this unit does not ship with the PhonePad application - is it possible to install this app from another source onto the Hermes?

Edited by NikLP

Guest Ingvarr
Would the general consensus be that it is possible to do most work on this machine without use of the stylus or not?

"most work" is subjective to say it mildly. Every person have own set of tasks he/she performs with the device and software he/she uses. So somebody maybe will be able to use device one-handed, somebody will not.

But you defenitely can not do everything without stylus, simply because its not in WM5-PDA OS design. You cant even enter PocketIE Address bar without clicking with stylus on it ;)

Of course, you can always install "mouse emulation" software, that will allow you to "click" on screen without actually clicking with stylus on it, so, formally, it solves your question. Handyness of it its the other question :)

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Syphon Filter
You cant even enter PocketIE Address bar without clicking with stylus on it :)

Thats not true. Using the jog wheel and the D-pad you can get the cursour up into the address bar to enter addresses into PIE. Plus having a keyboard means you can avoid using the stylus quite a bit.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest danwatson1974
My new device has a different ROM on it too...

Rom Ver: 1.18.255.3

Rom Date: 07/22/06

Radio Ver: 1.03.03.10

Protocol Ver: 32.34.7010.01H

ExtROM Ver: 1.18.255.106

Do you think that is is the new ROM that has resolved your problems ? It looked like a hardware issue start with ......

Does the new one still get warm when you are charging it up?

Curious because I may well get one of these when it launches on Orange.

Guest Ingvarr
Thats not true. Using the jog wheel and the D-pad you can get the cursour up into the address bar to enter addresses into PIE. Plus having a keyboard means you can avoid using the stylus quite a bit.

Good to hear, that wasnt possible before, they must've fixed it (address bar issue).

Still, sometimes you'll have no choice but to use stylus.

Though, as I said "most work without stylus" is quite vague definition.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Syphon Filter
Do you think that is is the new ROM that has resolved your problems ? It looked like a hardware issue start with ......

Does the new one still get warm when you are charging it up?

Curious because I may well get one of these when it launches on Orange.

I dont think so. I am thinking that the issue was hardware related, they must have changed some part or another...perhaps a gasket that seals the screen to the body or something like that.

Good to hear, that wasnt possible before, they must've fixed it (address bar issue).

Still, sometimes you'll have no choice but to use stylus.

Though, as I said "most work without stylus" is quite vague definition.

Yeah absolutely, but I try and avoid using the stylus a fair bit too and I havnt really had any real problems.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter
I'd agree about the stylus, the Prophet one is great, the Wizard one sucks :)

P

What is the Prophet stylus like?

EDIT:

Nevermind, just seen it. Looks bloody miles better. HTC when will you learn!

Edited by Syphon Filter

Hi all

Quick questions. Does the Tytn come with operator settings for Tmobile?

Syphon, do you recommend Rank Hour as they seem most likely to be getting my money..

Guest Syphon Filter
Hi all

Quick questions. Does the Tytn come with operator settings for Tmobile?

Syphon, do you recommend Rank Hour as they seem most likely to be getting my money..

No the TyTN does not come with operator settings.

But I had no problems sticking in the GPRS settings. All the rest of it (like voicemail and SMS stuff) seemed to go in automatically. I do not know about MMS settings though (these did not go in automatically) as I do not use MMS at all.

RankHour have been fine so far, they swapped out my HT628 numbered device for an HT630 when I told them about my screen alignment issues. Beyond that I dont really know what they are like.

Guest inspectorgadjet

Hi Syphon,

I was wondering if the new device and ROM build have fixed your bluetooth stereo problems?

I've got one of these ordered from Clove Technology who claimed to have them in stock, but suddenly changed to preorder the next day. It's now a week later and still no sign of it. So I'm hoping I will get a HT630 device when they get round to it. They are selling them at about

Guest Syphon Filter
Hi Syphon,

I was wondering if the new device and ROM build have fixed your bluetooth stereo problems?

I've got one of these ordered from Clove Technology who claimed to have them in stock, but suddenly changed to preorder the next day. It's now a week later and still no sign of it. So I'm hoping I will get a HT630 device when they get round to it. They are selling them at about

Guest SPV500_glos

Hi there im a new member but being reading the forums for a while, I got a phone call from orange, phoning about upgrading, they said that they are very keen to keep their existing customers, i said i was happy with my contract, he asked me if i was happy with my handset I said no and asked about the availability of the SPV3100, his attiude quickly chnaged, he said that it was still 6-8 weeks away from launching and had no extra information on the price.

8 weeks are they having a laugh!!

Guest FragMeister

I am curious to know the performance improvment of the new Samsung processor over the TI one in the wizard or the Intel one in the Compact.

This reminded me about the Benchmarker application written by forum member Muff a while back.

see http://www.modaco.com/Benchmarker-t239253.html for details.

Curious to know the results, and how it compares against the opposition. I never went for a Wizard, as was concerned about the puny processor. Hopefully the Samsung one in the TyTn is blisteringly fast - as reported by Syphon when changing screen orientation etc...

Guest Syphon Filter
I'm curious as to the gains that may be received in performance / battery life by over / underclocking the Samsung proc using Pocket Hack Master:

http://www.antontomov.com/web/products/ind...ket_hack_master

:)

P

PS Next version of Pocket Hack Master will include TI OMAP support! ;)

well battery life isn't great at stock setting, you'd get a day out of it at the most if you use the device to make a handful of calls and some data connections I reckon along with using the wifi and bluetooth too. if you are very conservative with use then maybe 2 days.

Guest Syphon Filter
Hi Syphon,

Ok dude, I am getting some where, using the advice from the XDA-Developers thread that I linked to earlier I have reduced the skipping massively...for reference I have quoted the post:

I also encounter such problem. However, when I compare with my QTEK 9100 (AKU2.3 ROM), I found one of registry may cause the problem which shown as below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Bluetooth/A2DP/Settings/UseJointStereo (Dword:1)

QTEK 9100 (AKU 2.3 ROM) don't have this registry but TyTH have. Now I know how to fix it:

Method 1:

Simple deleted it.

Method 2:

Change the Value to 0

Also you can add a new registry to improve the quality:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Bluetooth\A2DP\Settings

Add : BitPool [Dword : 48] Maximum is 58

After the above mentioned change, bluetooth music work fine.

Hope it can help. :oops:

I have only applied the "UseJointStereo" setting to 0.

I am still getting some mild skipping but nothing like I was before. I am going to see how it goes for now.

I may apply the BitPool setting in a bit to see if I can get rid of the last of the minor skips I am getting.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter
How much??? I thought it looks good until you told us the price - theres a nice toshiba laptop in currys with 40 gb and wireless internet and thats less money might as well buy that

goochy1

Why not get a desktop, it's even cheaper ;)

And remember, the laptop doesnt inherently have an internet connection...

:)

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest pd.ryder
How much??? I thought it looks good until you told us the price - theres a nice toshiba laptop in currys with 40 gb and wireless internet and thats less money might as well buy that

goochy1

That was bought SIM-free. With a contract, it'll be a fraction of that and probably free to the big spenders. All smartphones and PPCs cost far more than most of us ever realise because the networks recoup their money through the monthly running costs. Take a look at the SIM-free prices of handsets on Expansys and you'll see what I mean. Edited by pd.ryder

Guest sleighty
Hi there im a new member but being reading the forums for a while, I got a phone call from orange, phoning about upgrading, they said that they are very keen to keep their existing customers, i said i was happy with my contract, he asked me if i was happy with my handset I said no and asked about the availability of the SPV3100, his attiude quickly chnaged, he said that it was still 6-8 weeks away from launching and had no extra information on the price.

8 weeks are they having a laugh!!

I've had three calls and one text in the last few days all from different sources claiming to be "Orange Loyalty Department" or "Orange Upgrade Department" or similar, (hard to tell from the fast mumbling they speak in!). AFAIK Orange don't sell upgrades directly like that. It will be independant retailers with customer lists from the network operators who are coldcalling. Having said that, OCS did tell me that Orange Shop managers know sooner than most when phones get released. Depends on the shop and the deal they offer you I guess.

Guest Syphon Filter

I have found that wifi, just in the vicinity of the device and on the device itself, seriously affects the bluetooth headset connection.

Today I finally managed to get my bluetooth stereo headset working, following the advice of people on the xda-developers forum.

But I have now found that if I try and use the wifi connection while music is being sent to the headset the sound becomes very choppy.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter

Ok things I have found:

1) If you have an A2DP connection going (for listening to music) and then you enable the wifi on the device, the stereo headset connection is lost, but the music player will continue to play but in silence. If you pause and then play the music the sound will now continue from the headset sometimes. Other times it will drop the connection to the headset and play from the onboard speaker after you pause/play. If this happens then you need to redo the process of clicking on "Set as stereo headset" to get the sound back to the headset.

2) If you have wifi connection on and with an IP and music playing to a stereo headset I found that if you actually use the wifi connection, to send/receive email or browsing the sound playback becomes choppy while the wifi connection is being used to transmit and receive data.

What do you guys make of this?

Could the second problem be related to the bitrate of the mp3s? The ones I was playing were over 200kbps...this is on the upper end of the scale I guess, perhaps the CPU is struggling to play the mp3 and utilise the wifi at the same time?

Could others with stereo headsets and wifi connections give this stuff a test out please so we can see if this is a localised problem or if it is something more widespread.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Ingvarr

Is this a wireless(bluetooth) stereo headset?

This can be interference problem - after all, Bluetooth and WiFi use same radio spectrum.

Edited by Ingvarr