I got one!

Guest Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter
Is this a wireless(bluetooth) stereo headset?

This can be interference problem - after all, Bluetooth and WiFi use same radio spectrum.

It is indeed when using a bluetooth headset. I am sure this never used to happen on my vario/wizard.

Someone at xda-developers has also reported issues using wifi and bluetooth at the same time. This is pretty useless if you ask me!

Guest NikLP

Without even finishing reading this properly cos I'm too lazy and hungover, it straight away sounds like you just don't have enough CPU cycles to go round.

Guest pd.ryder

If BT and wi-fi use the same radio set / spectrum I'm sure this is the cause of the interference. I can't imagine how it could be sorted with software upgrades.

Isn't this the type of stuff that's supposed to get tested to death pre-release? It would seem to be an obvious conflict if they use the same or similar frequencies etc :)

Guest Dr Who
If BT and wi-fi use the same radio set / spectrum I'm sure this is the cause of the interference. I can't imagine how it could be sorted with software upgrades.

Isn't this the type of stuff that's supposed to get tested to death pre-release? It would seem to be an obvious conflict if they use the same or similar frequencies etc :)

You could try changing the channel that your wifi is running on. Not much use for a hot spot, but might cure your problem at home/work. Not sure, but can you do the same thing for BT?

EDIT - Do you think the wifi and BT share the same aerial?

Edited by Dr Who

Guest Syphon Filter

I have no idea what is going on. I know the frequencies are similar and all but whats the point of having wifi and bluetooth in the same device if you cant use them both at the same time?

Without even finishing reading this properly cos I'm too lazy and hungover, it straight away sounds like you just don't have enough CPU cycles to go round.

I am sure my Vario used to cope just fine!

Lastnight all I was trying to do was listen to some music and browse some websites & send/receive mails. For the music to keep stalling and skipping was just plain rubbish. Not to mention I had to tweak the registry in the first place to get the stereo A2DP stuff working propery AT ALL.

My device is back with my retailer so the technicians there can do some testing. If they have problems then we will go from there. I think I just want a refund.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Dr Who
I have no idea what is going on. I know the frequencies are similar and all but whats the point of having wifi and bluetooth in the same device if you cant use them both at the same time?

Lastnight all I was trying to do was listen to some music and browse some websites & send/receive mails. For the music to keep stalling and skipping was just plain rubbish. Not to mention I had to tweak the registry in the first place to get the stereo A2DP stuff working propery AT ALL.

My device is back with my retailer so the technicians there can do some testing. If they have problems then we will go from there. I think I just want a refund.

I am sure my Vario used to cope just fine!

Guest Syphon Filter
Disappointing to hear Syphon. I am wondering whether the problem is due to the nature of music! Normally if you were using a BT device and wifi then the data is going to be in small chunks and whether a bit of data is delayed will not really matter. However, when listening to music any delayed packets are going to be REALLY obvious. Might be the case if they share the antennae. I wonder if you can prioritise data over BT as opposed to data over wifi?

Did you have the same problem when taking a call via the headset when using the wifi? Might not be totally equivalent, since I guess the data transfer rate will be lower and therefore may not occupy the antennae/processor as intensively?

Since the BT stack is 'locked' by MS I wonder if this can be fixed on the wifi side by an HTC firmware update?

Has anyone found a set of compatible headsets that work when the wifi is set to on?

It is indeed a great shame. I am waiting to hear what the technicians have to say about it. Apparently it will take 2-3 days...I am going to leave it today and tomorrow and call on Thursday to see if they have got anywhere with it. After that I will call them daily just to keep track of what they are doing. I have a funny feeling they wont find anything wrong...and that the stereo music will apparently work perfectly...If this is the case I will a) want proof :) be very annoyed as I am guessing they will not test it will a BT620s and use some other brand/model of headset...so they will simply suggest that I buy another headset...I might call them up now actually and see if we can speed things up if I bring in my headset and connect up to their wifi and do an on the spot test.

The worst thing is, HTC know about the problems yet they still let the devices ship. Personally I do not think that the problems are minor or localised. A lot of people have been reporting issues about the screen, the A2DP, keyboards etc...

Sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience SF...

I'm hoping that this won't be a sign of things to come once the handset goes on full release.

Which handset do you think will be worth using instead? Have you thought about the Samsung? Or are you going to hang in there for some other handsets to turn up in Sept?

Not sure what I will do, I want the features of the TyTN and the form factor is perfect. I might just wait until some of these problems are worked out and the device is more polished. Be that in the form of another TyTN or a carrier branded device.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Ingvarr

I think its just a problems of "first one in class" device.

It should be worked out in time, hopefully with software upgrades.

Thats why I never buy new devices from first production batches, theys always have some quirks that will be ironed in time.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest Syphon Filter
I think its just a problems of "first one in class" device.

It should be worked out in time, hopefully with software upgrades.

Thats why I never buy new devices from first production batches, theys always have some quirks that will be ironed in time.

This was kind of out of character for me too...I should have waited as I usually do.

Anyone know where HTCs service department is in the UK? Someone told me it was in Southampton . .

I think their place is in Slough actually.

OMG, what have I done?

Ive read all the threads here and elsewhere about problems with the Tytn, taken it all in and then I went and pushed the purchase button with RankHour!

Trouble is, when youve ordered a screen protector and a 1 gb micro sd, you need something to stick em in / to!

God, I hope I dont regret this . . . :) ;)

Anyone know if a cab of Operator settings for an Imate Jam (Tmob) will work in the Tytn?

Guest Syphon Filter
OMG, what have I done?

Ive read all the threads here and elsewhere about problems with the Tytn, taken it all in and then I went and pushed the purchase button with RankHour!

Trouble is, when youve ordered a screen protector and a 1 gb micro sd, you need something to stick em in / to!

God, I hope I dont regret this . . . :) ;)

Anyone know if a cab of Operator settings for an Imate Jam (Tmob) will work in the Tytn?

That is who I bought from and my device is back with them. Their service level so far has been excellent. I hope that if they do find the problem I am having with A2DP and wifi (I would be HIGHLY skeptical if they dont) they give me a refund.

I will then wait for a while, alternatively it could just be that the device is not fast enough/built to cope with wifi and bluetooth comms at the same time? I dunno...I am rather disappointed, I was expecting a lot from the Hermes set of devices, and it so very nearly delivers...but falls over at some stupid hurdles.

Anyway mate, I wish you luck. I hope you get a flawless device, because if you do then it means there is hope for the rest of us!!! Good luck mate and let us know how you go. Lets see if we make this thread even BIGGER :D:(:)

Edited by Syphon Filter

Hi all

Ive had my Tytn for 24 hours, so here are my initial thoughts and findings. Its a 630 serial number and so far no issues. Screen, keyboard etc all fine. I dont have a stereo bt headset, but my HS850 works fine. Wifi via my Draytek 2600g router works all through the house and Im getting a strong UMTS signal. Tmob told me my 3g signal would be poor so the signal level is a bonus. Hardware is impressive. Build quality seems good, could feel a little more solid but I suppose weight would be an issue. The D pad on my Jam is better as its bigger, but more buttons have been squeezed in so thts fine. All other buttons are fine, I already love the jog wheel, it makes the stylus far less used. The stylus itself fits snuggly and even the telescopic aspect works fine. There is obviously so much hardware squeezed in that there is no space for a full length one. Keyboard is brilliant, all keys are working w/o problems and its freeing up nicely as I use it. Im using it now, never posted from my Jam tothe forum but this is great! Software working well, no resets yet and most of my fave apps already installed (PI, SBP Diary, Opera + others). WM5 is more like 2003Se than I expected, most of the changes must be under the hood.

Internet via 3g is a revelation, to me this is the "Holy Grail" real high speed internet in my pocket, love it. To me, this justifies the money spent alone. I shall be looking into hsdpa access soon, but plain UMTS is great for browsing. I did have the lag as reported by others initially but after the first hour or so of use, its been instant. Opera btw have sent me a new reg code free of charge which I reckon was a result. Their terms said one code for one device only so a big thanks to them. Im waiting now for a screen protector and micro sd card, all I want now is for someone to design a real nice case that allows the keyboard w/o having to take the machine out. The supplied case does its job but this machine deserves something special.

So, am I happy with the Tytn? Oh yes. Is it all that I hoped? Yes, and more. This is truely the next gen of mobile devices, a major leap forward. At this time there is nothing else to touch it on the market and nothing in the pipeline to top it. If you can, get one!

Guest Syphon Filter

robt:

Glad to hear your device is working out. It's a shame you dont have a stereo headset...I would be interested to see if you had the same issue as I am seeing.

So far so good mate...I am still waiting for my retailer to get back to me.

robt:

Glad to hear your device is working out. It's a shame you dont have a stereo headset...I would be interested to see if you had the same issue as I am seeing.

So far so good mate...I am still waiting for my retailer to get back to me.

I know this can all go belly up if faults appear, just keeping my fingers crossed! I shall be looking for a bt stereo headset soon, but Ive probably spent enough just for now! ;)

Im hoping a usb to 3.5 headset adapter appears soon on ebay so at least I can use my sennheisers.

Hope rankhour come up with a good result, they are my retailers too! Got to say, they were very good for mail order, confirmation and an email with tracking details received and the item delivered by City Link at 0840 the next day (I paid for delivery before 12.30 at

Guest Ingvarr

I have already at least one person who was instantly able to reproduce the same issue with bluetooth headset & wifi on Hermes, also veryfing that it was no such problems on previous HTC devices.

Guest Syphon Filter
I have already at least one person who was instantly able to reproduce the same issue with bluetooth headset & wifi on Hermes, also veryfing that it was no such problems on previous HTC devices.

I thought as much.

Looks like I will be going back to my Vario and slow ass GPRS :)

For those that want it, heres the T-mobile operator settings for the Dopod 818. Includes MMS etc. It worked perfectly for my Tytn, I assume it would work for any Hermes based device.

I think HTC should have these available on their web site, I shall email them tonight!

:)

T_Mobile_UK_818.CAB

Guest Syphon Filter

Guys,

I got a refund from RankHour today and I decided NOT to pick up another TyTN, be it HT630+ or not.

To me it seems there are definitely some issues that need to be worked out from the Hermes line of devices...and my fear is that the list may grow before it shrinks...things like the screen alignment issue being rather widespread just stinks to high heaven of a rushed device and perhaps poor quality control.

The issues like A2DP and WiFi not working together properly says to me that the devices were not properly tested in "day-to-day use" scenarios. I think it is rather likely that purchasers of the device will try to use stereo headsets and it is also probable that they may want to use the WiFi whilst still listening to music/whatever over their headset.

HTC: Sort it out please...I really want this device and I had high hopes.

Thank you to RankHour for being understanding and helping me out.

According to the chap at RankHour that sorted me out they have sold a lot of devices and he has only had one other back (due to the screen alignment issue and this too was a pre-HT630 device).

robt:

How is your device going?

Edited by Syphon Filter

My new device has a different ROM on it too...

Rom Ver: 1.18.255.3

Rom Date: 07/22/06

Radio Ver: 1.03.03.10

Protocol Ver: 32.34.7010.01H

ExtROM Ver: 1.18.255.106

I've just got my voda version this morning it has HT626 serial number but has rom version 1.20.161.3, but the rom date is 06/06/06

radio version is 1.03.06.00

how come i seem to have a newer rom , but an older version by date?

anything to worry about ? other than its a preHT630 serial number?

cheers

Edited by dil

Guest Syphon Filter
I've just got my voda version this morning it has HT626 serial number but has rom version 1.20.161.3, but the rom date is 06/06/06

radio version is 1.03.06.00

how come i seem to have a newer rom , but an older version by date?

anything to worry about ? other than its a preHT630 serial number?

cheers

I think your devices dates are different because Voda will have played about with the ROM a bit and made changes here and there.

Hence the dates and versions are different to the ones my TyTN had.