Performance problems on your Mobile Internet connection? Try this!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest hockeyump

WOW! :D

I have an MDA Compact II and the increase in speed is remarkable in several applications.

pRSSreader now updates all channels in half the time and I no longer fear going through to the Full story which can sometimes lose you the will to live as you wait for the story to come up.

Obviously Opera loads pages faster.

I use Avantgo to read The Times and for some reason not all the pages download so it goes off to the web to load them. This now happens far quicker.

Many thanks for sharing this, Paul.

:D :D :D :D

Guest Argelius

I'm curious if this fix is for me. I continue to have the following problems with my first week experience with Cingular and my hp 6015:

[1] For internet, it rountinely takes 30-45 seconds for the first web page to load, with PIE just saying "locating...". Once the first page loads, it usually then works pretty quickly

[2] For email, a similar thing. Will take 30-45 seconds while "connecting...." before getting the send/receive part.

All of this is happening while I havce 4-5 bars and the "EDGE" icon.

Havent' called Cingular yet, but guessing that will be a totally fruitless endeavor.

I'm just now trying your DNS server settings. Can't tell yet if it's an improvement....

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

As suggested earlier in the thread, these were the best performing UK/European severs. You may benefit more from finding the US counterparts and using them instead.

Guest Paul (MVP)
I'm curious if this fix is for me. I continue to have the following problems with my first week experience with Cingular and my hp 6015:

[1] For internet, it rountinely takes 30-45 seconds for the first web page to load, with PIE just saying "locating...". Once the first page loads, it usually then works pretty quickly

[2] For email, a similar thing. Will take 30-45 seconds while "connecting...." before getting the send/receive part.

All of this is happening while I havce 4-5 bars and the "EDGE" icon.

Havent' called Cingular yet, but guessing that will be a totally fruitless endeavor.

I'm just now trying your DNS server settings. Can't tell yet if it's an improvement....

That's exactly what this should fix.

As you are US based, you might be best trying the OpenDNS US based servers, '208.67.222.222' and '208.67.220.220' thought.

P

PS OpenDNS are coming to the UK too soon, hurrah!

Guest rickwookie
That's exactly what this should fix.

As you are US based, you might be best trying the OpenDNS US based servers, '208.67.222.222' and '208.67.220.220' thought.

P

PS OpenDNS are coming to the UK too soon, hurrah!

Okay here's my two peneth worth.

I just did a quick ping of the DNS servers listed on the OpenNIC website as 'Tier 2'.

ns1.de.opennic.glue (Cologne, DE) - 217.115.138.24 85 ms

ns1.jp.opennic.glue (Tokyo, JP) - 219.127.89.34 399 ms

ns2.jp.opennic.glue (Tokyo, JP) - 219.127.89.37 357 ms

ns1.nz.opennic.glue (Auckland, NZ) - 202.89.131.4 unreachable

ns1.uk.opennic.glue (London, UK) - 194.164.6.112 unreachable

ns1.phx.us.opennic.glue (Phoenix, AZ, US) - 63.226.12.96 unreachable

ns1.sfo.us.opennic.glue (San Francisco, CA, US) - 64.151.103.120 153 ms

ns1.co.us.opennic.glue (Longmont, CO, US) - 216.87.84.209 214 ms

ns1.ca.us.opennic.glue (Los Angeles, CA, US) - 67.102.133.222 unreachable

ns1.be.opennic.glue (Luik, Belgium) - 83.217.93.246 136 ms

This was from my PC connected to the interweb through BT Business Broadband.

I asume you found a similar result Paul, hence choosing the German and Belgian servers (the two fastest).

My worry though is that since 40% of the servers they list appear dead, how reliable are they? :D

I have just tried them on my Vario II and have to say that I'm actually not wowed. The first try to connect to the WnW homepage failed completely, then it worked. Sometimes the lookup is fast but sometimes it seems really slow. I suspect that they are currently no less reliable than the T-Mobile servers, but are they consistent?

I may try the same ping test using the Vario II as a modem on my PC to see how quick they respond on T-Mobiles network.

Interestingly (or not perhaps), as I mentioned in an earlier post I had problems a long while back with BT's DNS servers and so on my PC I statically set mine. I'm using 194.72.9.4 and 194.72.65.86 but I don't remember where I got those, maybe they are one of BT's sets. But here's the thing. If I ping them, they both time-out. Yet browsing works. :D

I've tried the tweak on my C500 on orange and it does seem to be better.

It all seems a bit hit-and-miss.

Edited by rickwookie

Guest Monolithix (MVP)
My worry though is that since 40% of the servers they list appear dead, how reliable are they?

Which is why you have primary and secondary DNS settings boxes! :D

Guest rickwookie
Which is why you have primary and secondary DNS settings boxes! :D

Yes but if 4/10 are dead, how long before BOTH the two we're using (from the same list of 10) are dead?

Guest iJITSU
Unbelievable difference! I'm using Cingular 2125 in the US and the speed of locating a page is instant. It used to take several seconds. This is using the servers suggested.

Lee

What settings did you use? I tried some of the DNS addresses but it made no change for me using a 2125 on Cingular.

Guest Paul (MVP)

If they die, no big deal, maybe OpenDNS will have their european servers up by then, else there's plenty of others out there.

Track this topic and you'll never be stuck :D

P

Guest kailes
Great Tweak.. I have just entered in the settings and poof.. seems snappier on Cingular. Not sure how this could be, but I'm recording the fastest EDGE speeds I have ever seen.. 174kbps, 158kbps, 167kbps.. :D Testing at dslreports.com/mspeed

Jak--what settings did you use? am on cingular as well, and mine are actually slower. can normally get over 200, now am at about 150

Guest mistervybe

I am on an unlimited gprs account from fido here in toronto....i added the new dns servers and it has made a difference my question is can they bill me any different now since i am not using their dns servers?

i hope i wont start getting charged

Great Tweak.. I have just entered in the settings and poof.. seems snappier on Cingular. Not sure how this could be, but I'm recording the fastest EDGE speeds I have ever seen.. 174kbps, 158kbps, 167kbps.. :D Testing at dslreports.com/mspeed

Guest Paul (MVP)
I am on an unlimited gprs account from fido here in toronto....i added the new dns servers and it has made a difference my question is can they bill me any different now since i am not using their dns servers?

i hope i wont start getting charged

No.

P

Guest floepie

I'm surprised no one has mentioned either of these 2 tips.

Use the fastest DNS servers known to man (at least Stateside) - those maintained by Level 3 Communications. There are threads all over the internet where people have rejoiced after finding them.

There are several and range from 4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6 and they're easy to remember too!

Secondly, for those wanting to edit the HOSTS file directly on the PPC, there is an app that allows you to enter the IP address of some of your favorites so that no DNS servers are required.

It's called Pocket Hosts - a trial is available at Handango.

Guest mrbofus

I am using a Cingular 8125 with ROM version 2.25.11.1 WWE using IE on Windows Mobile 5.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't noticed any changes. In fact, in some cases, the "locating..." appears for even longer, and in other cases, the "opening..." appears for longer than usual. I have tried using the OpenNIC servers [the suggested ones and also I've tried the US ones], I've tried the OpenDNS servers, and I've tried the Level 3 DNS servers.

Any suggestions?

Guest whemmingway
[teaser]- Do you use the internet on your device and sometimes find it a bit slow to first load websites?

- Does your phone often 'wait' on the 'Locating...' stage in Pocket IE?

If you answered YES to these questions, then this may be the answer. I have been doing some testing / research on both T-Mobile AND Orange GPRS/EDGE/3G connections, and it appears that the DNS servers on both networks are rather slow to respond sometimes. Therefore, this tweak will change your DNS servers from the T-Mobile settings to the public free OpenNIC servers.

Here's what you need to do (screenshots from a Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone / PPC device at the end of this post if you need them):

Pocket PC

- From the Start Menu, select 'Settings', then select the 'Connections' tab

- Select the 'Connections' option

- Select the first of the two 'Manage Existing Connections' options

- Highlight your main Internet connection, and click edit

- Click 'Next'

- This page should say 'general.t-mobile.uk' on T-Mobile UK, 'orangeinternet' on Orange UK, or something different if you're with someone else :D Click 'Next'

- Click 'Advanced'

- Click 'Servers'

- Click 'Use specific server address' and enter DNS as '217.115.138.24', Alt DNS as '83.217.93.246'. You can leave both WINS settings as '0.0.0.0' at this stage.

- Click 'OK'

- Click 'Finish'

Smartphone

- From the Start Menu, Select 'Settings'

- Select 'Connections'

- Select 'GPRS'

- Ensure your main GPRS Internet connection is selected, and press 'Menu' then 'Edit'

- Modify the Primary DNS entry to read '217.115.138.24'

- Modify the Secondary DNS entry to read '83.217.93.246'

- Press 'Done' 4 times

You should note at this stage that if you have an existing GPRS connection active, it will drop. This is necessary to pick up the new DNS settings.

Now try browsing the web etc., and report back if it responds differently. This change has massively, massively improved the responsiveness of Pocket IE for me, hence this post.

To reverse this change, simply follow the steps above and set the DNS settings back to automatic.

Enjoy! :D

P

Edit: I now seem to be getting EVEN BETTER performance with the 'Level 3' DNS servers @ 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 - give them a go!

[/teaser]

Pocket PC:

changedns1.gifchangedns2.gifchangedns3.gif

changedns4.gifchangedns5.gifchangedns6.gif

changedns7.gif

Smartphone:

speedupsp1.gifspeedupsp2.gifspeedupsp3.gif

speedupsp4.gifspeedupsp5.gif

Guest whemmingway

I am using Cingular 2125 here in the USA. This is a very welcomed improvement. Funny though, the Media Net is still a bit slow, but that must just be their server. Thanks for the tweak bro.

Guest floepie
WOW!

Changing the DNS to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 gives me the fastest performance i've seen yet!

Does everyone else agree?!?

P

Put it this way, I can't even see the 'Locating' *most* of the time...it's that fast. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.