Using a non T-Mobile HTTP proxy

Guest julianmclean

Guest rickwookie
Paul,

Do you enter this into the HTTP proxy bit?

Yes, click on HTTP enter the IP address 195.221.155.57 and replace the default port 80 (in the next box to the right) with 3128.

Edited by rickwookie

Guest Syphon Filter

I cant seem to get these extra settings working but it might just be the area I am in and poor coverage.

I will see what happens and keep you posted.

EDIT:

Ok, I am testing now..I have coverage and am getting certain things up pretty fast...

What kind of speeds are you guys seeing? I would say "meh" about the speeds...but you guys seem rather impressed...

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Paul (MVP)

Most important thing to me is it no longer hangs on 'opening', that's what really matters, less waiting around.

When the page starts coming down, it's very fast too, but maybe I notice it more because i'm on GPRS rather than 3G/HSDPA here?

P

OMG, the difference (using the DNS change & Proxy) is like night and day. It's so fast, that I don't see locating or opening now - it flys - even with 2 signal bars. I was feeling pretty disappointed with the Vario 2, but now it's everything I hoped. Great job and yes, count me in for a Plus membership with Proxy if these speeds can be sustained.

P.s I could add the proxy to existing TMo settings too!

Ditto that paul- if you can sort out some proxy servers, I'll be up for becoming a plus member.. and thanks for all the non-member stuff you and the modaco team sort us out with!

Thanks!

Benzo

Anyone care to try:

195.221.155.57:3128?

Combined with the 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 DNS settings, makes the web faster than it's ever been for me (on GPRS at least).

P

Just tried the proxy change, its lightning quick now :D :D

I repeat I'd pay for a plus membership for a proxy Paul

Dave

Guest Paul (MVP)

OK, i'm pondering. :D

A dedicated server in the UK, on a fast connection with unlimited bandwidth would set me back about 70 quid a month... so it's a considerable investment.

P

Guest Syphon Filter
OK, i'm pondering. :D

A dedicated server in the UK, on a fast connection with unlimited bandwidth would set me back about 70 quid a month... so it's a considerable investment.

P

Would we need our own DNS too?

I'd go for a Plus membership if you could ensure decent speeds consistantly...

Guest pjam001

certainly seems quicker.

Does this effect my web n walk useage? ie is it still all inclusive?

Can someone briefly explain what the proxy server is doing and how this fits in with my t-mobile connection?

many thanks, just like to understand stuff.

It's so much quicker now. The 3g internet seems comparable (if not faster due to hsdpa) but still not as stable as the M3100 on Orange that I had.

Any chance of a uk server as this seems to redirect to french sites by default sometimes e.g. theinquirer.net goes to the french site, google goes to the french site and also all the error pages are french. However this is a minor incovenience. Why are T-mobile servers so crap? When I had my M3100 on orange I had no issues with internet.

Also with the french server some sites don't seem to come up properly, taking a long time to load and some are almost instantaneous

Shaks

Edited by Shaks

Also my wifes original Vario (AKU 2) does not seem to need the proxy server however the dns makes a difference. It works fine on the internet and does not seem to get stuck on opening much

Shaks

Guest Syphon Filter

as long as on a modaco proxy pop3 mail worked then I would go for it. but without the pop access its no good to me really. I need pop3access for sure.

Guest adchaffey

Been playing for a bit longer with the proxy settings now and am really appreciating the difference. You can add my name to the list of new plus members if you add a proxy server to the featrues...

...however, is it not likely that T-Mobile will get their act together and fix the current issues soon??

Guest Paul (MVP)

There's no reason why POP3 shouldn't be working... in the advanced settings, ensure it is ONLY a HTTP proxy that is set up (it sometimes adds a SOCKS proxy by default too?)

P

Guest sparkymodaco
as long as on a modaco proxy pop3 mail worked then I would go for it. but without the pop access its no good to me really. I need pop3access for sure.

I got around the pop3 problem by editing the individual account settings in messaging.

Start Messaging

From the inbox choose

Menu

>Tools

Options . .

Tap Account name

Next

Next

Next

Tap options

On the dropdown next to connection choose "T-Mobile internet"

Next