Using a non T-Mobile HTTP proxy

Guest julianmclean

Guest WILBUR

195.221.155.57:3128 Combined with the 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 DNS settings makes my VarioII lightening fast - and with HSDPA it is now incredible... Cheers Paul. I'd be in for the Modaco Plus membership if T-Mob won't fix this...

I got around the pop3 problem by editing the individual account settings in messaging.

Start Messaging

On the dropdown next to connection choose "T-Mobile internet"

Next

Next

Finish

I had the same Pop3 issues but this has fixed it for me - thanks Sparky

Guest pjam001

very strange. pop mail now working without seemingly changing anything.

checked for the socks proxy but that was fine. switched the connection to the proxy server after leaving it on the normal connection to get my mail.

checked how i had left my email connecting (proxy or normal) within the mail settings. this was set to T-Mobile internet. changed this to proxy test and now it is working via the proxy. i had tried all this last night and it had't worked.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I can't see T-Mob getting an infrastructure in place any time soon that would serve faster than a dedicated UK based server I set up serving a handful of people...

P

Guest adchaffey
I can't see T-Mob getting an infrastructure in place any time soon that would serve faster than a dedicated UK based server I set up serving a handful of people...

P

Count me in as a plus member then :D

Guest Pompey
Count me in as a plus member then :D
For us non techies, could you pls confirm that changing the DNS and proxy servers won't affect the terms of the WnW unlimited access??

I've made the changes and it does seem a lot faster :D

Edited by Pompey

Guest Paul (MVP)
For us non techies, could you pls confirm that changing the DNS and proxy servers won't affect the terms of the WnW unlimited access??

I've made the changes and it does seem a lot faster :D

Correct.

P

Guest danktuft

I'm interested in this so I'll consider getting a Plus membership the people on this site have been extremely helpful over the last week or so, the faster the better as far as I'm concerned! Are there any other uses for the server you're considering hiring, something that would help offset costs?

Edited by danktuft

Guest mattie01

i'd prob be more then intrested in signing up for a plus membership, i've been contemplating it for a while and with the use of a proxy server it might just push me over the edge...

Guest darrellr
'Academie d'Amiens - Education Nationale'

Basically, a university in Amiens, France - so yeah, good chance of being kicked off.

The difference seems really noticeable to me... so maybe I should set up a HTTP proxy?

P

wooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!

Much faster!

Guest mattie01

ok anyone wanna help me try these settings?

proxy server: webcache.dial.pipex.com port 3128

pipex dns servers : 158.43.240.4 / 62.241.160.200 / 158.43.240.3

as they respond the quickest to pings.

first page take a while to load but after that surfing seemed alot (even then french proxy and level3 dns)...

Edited by mattie01

Guest Paul (MVP)

That's FAST!

Interestingly, I had those settings on my list to test... as I believe the internet connection at T-Mo is out via Pipex... hence that works (the webcache is only accessible from Pipex networks).

Good call!

P

Guest mattie01

i suppose asking for a discount on a plus memeber ship is pushing it lol :D

but seriously just glad i could give something back to the site after all the hints, tips and tweaks its given me

Edited by mattie01

Guest pjam001

I can't get the pipex one to work unfortunately. Just sits there saying "opening" or gives an error message.

Am I missing something? I just edited the previous proxy / dns settings.

I've checked them several times now.

Guest Paul (MVP)
I can't get the pipex one to work unfortunately. Just sits there saying "opening" or gives an error message.

Am I missing something? I just edited the previous proxy / dns settings.

I've checked them several times now.

Are you on T-Mobile?

P

Guest WILBUR

while it is amazingly quick, I don't seem to be able to use ORB anymore to stream video from my PC when I am using a proxy server - WMP says "Cannot play the file. The file is either corrupted or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play"- it works again when i remove the proxy settings...

Help anyone?

edit - okay - i understand - i guess the answer is that those french bods don't allow webmail or streaming etc - i'll try the other proxy...

edit II - and now that I try the pipex proxy everything streams perfectly - and browsing is now even quicker!

Edited by WILBUR

Guest Paul (MVP)
i suppose asking for a discount on a plus memeber ship is pushing it lol :D

but seriously just glad i could give something back to the site after all the hints, tips and tweaks its given me

Based on the performance of this proxy, we won't need our own Plus one :D

P

Guest mattie01

its working fine for me, (i know thats not much help..) i knwo the first time it tried to load a page for me it sat there for a few seconds, but after that all the pages seemed to load really quickly,

i take it your only using 2 of the 3 dns servers listed, and not trying to add the 3rd into a non dns field, i'd go with just using the 158.43.240.4 and the 62.241.160.200 ones to start with.. is it producing any error or just sitting at loading?

you might well need to drop the current data connection and re open it, for the setting to take effect if you haven't already done so

The Pipex proxy works for me too, and its quick. Not sure if its noticeably quicker than the French server, but either way, this seems to have cracked the web browsing problems.

Thanks to all involved, this is what these enthusiast groups are all about.

Rob

Ps I am a Pipex subscriber anyway, nice to get a bit of "extra value"!

Paul, if you decide to go for a modaco proxy then I'm still in :D

Guest mattie01
Based on the performance of this proxy, we won't need our own Plus one wink.gif

cool :D

the other good thing being as its a pipex proxy its not technically a open proxy which should means its a bit more secure and reliable. (well lets hope)

Guest mattie01

also could any of the people compaining of push email and pop email problems also give this a try and see if you still get the same problems? as i know push email is a big isue for some people...