Using a non T-Mobile HTTP proxy

Guest julianmclean

Guest Paul (MVP)
maybe it might be worth setting up a modaco proxy, and if its locked down to username and passwords of your modaco membership, would also mean you can open it up so it can be connected to via any connection t-mob or your normal isp, which would then make it accesseble while still keeping it secure...

That's what i'm pondering...

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
on a side note thou, i'm wondering if entering the proxy address via i.p address might also give another positive speed boost...?

Theoretically yes, the first time you hit it, it will save the DNS lookup.

P

Guest mattie01

i'd be intrested in signing up, wont be this month thou, moving jobs and other bills...

there also a possiblity (if you want to) of you changing a discounted or (lite) version of modaco plus, which could include just the proxy service, not sure how muich the difference would be, and it would prob make more sense for most people to get a full membership...

but it might get the odd couple of extra poeple that are reluctant to sign up for a full modaco plus, but are still tempted by the use of a dedicated proxy service...

Guest mattie01
I want to avoid 'tiering' MoDaCo Plus really, so I don't see that happening any time soon i'm afraid.

P

thats cool, now you mention it, it does make sense purely from a keeping it "clean and simple" point of view

Quick question - For my GPRS settins I am using;

ap name: general.t-mobile.uk

username: user

password: wap

Should I be using the password one2one or does it not matter?

Cheers,

Craig

Guest gurujockstrap
It appears that while setting the SOCKS proxy fixed the new 'Windows Live Messenger' beta, it doesn't help with the old Pocket MSN :D

P

Ah pants! Suppose I can live without MSN for the time being. When will Live Messenger be offically released?

Now that I have come out of a 3g area adding webcache.dsl.pipex.com as my proxy has made the gprs connection just as fast as the 3g connection in terms of surfing - well impressed.

Paul will having a Modaco proxy mean that other services could be added - for example a virus scan or something?

Guest glbsolutions
Just a thought but could a Modaco proxy server also serve as a MS Exchange server to offer plus members free push emai?

This would bump up the costs a lot, from a free linux Squid server to a licensed Exchange with a fair few users

Guest mattie01

its more a case, needing our own modaco server as the pipex one appears to be blocking some services which people want to use such as accessing hotmail and accessing live messenger, where as which a modaco owned proxy it can be managered to allow these servies...

Guest fantastic_mr_q

I have just set up the pipex settings with both proxy and dns on a K800i for a work colleauge and it is again blisteringly fast the only Tmobile details I needed were APN user name and password, everything else was pipex, didnt even need an IP address! Result!

Guest Paul (MVP)

An Exchange server is out of the question due to cost.

I'm currently thinking Linux box with squid, or a Windows box with ISA server to get some added functionality potential.

P

Guest mattie01

ok the people that are having problems connecting to hotmail try this..

start -> settings -> connections tab - connections

then advanced then click on exceptions -> add new url then enter "*.msn.com" and "*.live.com"(if your on the hotmail live trail) that should hopefully see you getting connected it might even see you thought to getting messenger connected "no garentees thou"

admitily this doesn't get round the issue of it not working from your default connection, thats ofcourse unless you have pipex as your isp...

if you guys can give me feed back on where this works for ya it would be a great help.

i might even see if these a way of getting wm5 to auto sense what connection your using wifi / 3G, the also seeing if theres a way of have dedicated proxies per connection...

the other option to look at is seeing if you can specify the proxy in the browser then having two borwsers installed one for wifi one for 3G...

Hi All

After the incident last night when we all seemed to lose our data connections to Tmob (mine went down about 00.30) I reset my connection back to standard settings, thinking that something I had done had mucked the whole thing up.

Now I am using standard set up and no proxy or alternative dns servers and Ive got to say that my connection is working really well and no issues.

So, Paul, have you tried the standard connection since the "change"? It seems to me that Tmob have done something, some kind of upgade and the whole network, certainly here in Southampton is running much better.

Perhaps they have upgraded their DNS servers or something?

Any one else got any findings?

Rob

Guest gurujockstrap
ok the people that are having problems connecting to hotmail try this..

start -> settings -> connections tab - connections

then advanced then click on exceptions -> add new url then enter "*.msn.com" and "*.live.com"(if your on the hotmail live trail) that should hopefully see you getting connected it might even see you thought to getting messenger connected "no garentees thou"

admitily this doesn't get round the issue of it not working from your default connection, thats ofcourse unless you have pipex as your isp...

if you guys can give me feed back on where this works for ya it would be a great help.

Not working I'm affraid. :D

Get a notification stating "Temporary conditions currently prevent connecting to the Pocket MSN service".

Hi All

After the incident last night when we all seemed to lose our data connections to Tmob (mine went down about 00.30) I reset my connection back to standard settings, thinking that something I had done had mucked the whole thing up.

Data cut for space saving ....

Well guess who else thought they screwed their mobile up. . .

Guess who did a new ext rom install.

When that didn't work guess who installed a new HTC Rom and then the Tmobile Ext Rom on top.

I really got scared as I had the regedit open and thought I had clicked something by mistake.

:D

Anyway the reason for having the regedit open was I was looking for the TCIP settings.

I'm also thinking of the MTU, MSS and RWIN broadband tweeks for this device.

Those have sped up my home system by about 30%.

PS to know if your settings are tweeked try (you may or may not get the real figures behind a proxy)

http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php

http://netspeed.stanford.edu/

Guest Syphon Filter
Not really, only use one accessible from both :D

P

And having a MoDaCo proxy with login/password would be accessible from both my wifi (which uses an NTL broadband connection) AND over T-Mobile GPRS/3G?

EDIT:

Is it just me or will Pocket MSN not sign in AT ALL over T-Mobile GPRS/3G now?

Edited by Syphon Filter