Using a non T-Mobile HTTP proxy

Guest julianmclean

Guest Paul (MVP)
And having a MoDaCo proxy with login/password would be accessible from both my wifi (which uses an NTL broadband connection) AND over T-Mobile GPRS/3G?

Yeah... but there'd be a caveat you're only allowed to use it from your mobile device.

P

Guest Syphon Filter
Yeah... but there'd be a caveat you're only allowed to use it from your mobile device.

P

Yeah sure,

I wouldnt be using it as a proxy for my general wifi usage with PC's and Laptops...fear not Mr P, I wont be dragging gigs of data through the MoDaCo proxy!!! :D

Guest randomelements

Was just trying the pipex proxy and was only getting GPRS speeds on my 3G - revert to default and back to HSDPA speeds...

I'll be glad when TM get the network sorted.

This evening I have been trying it without pipex dns or proxy, just the standard settings and the device is performing quite well now!! Much better than ever. I did notice before that at night internet access was quite good.

Shaks

Guest sparkymodaco

Iv'e been testing various settings over the past week with tomtom traffic and traffictv. Both of these programs connect every 2 or 3 minutes for updates. Over a 2 or 3 hour journey I would uually get 7 or 8 instances of "cannot connect". Half due to lack of coverage, half when there was good coverage but something timed out due to lack of response from a server.

Findings as follows:

T-mobile vanilla: No dns or proxy changes

As above

Level 3 DNS settings: 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

Roughly twice as many "cannot connect" messages

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Very reliable no "cannot connect" messages when a signal is available

Proxy: 195.221.155.57:3128

'Academie d'Amiens - Education Nationale'

Also very reliable

Pipex Proxy

Roughly twice as many "cannot connect" messages

Although not exhaustive my tests have settled on the OpenDNS settings (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) with the french proxy (195.221.155.57:3128).

All I need now is a way to make MSN Messenger work

Edited by sparkymodaco

Guest Paul (MVP)
Is the poll showing that it will be likely for a Modaco proxy?

I'm still pondering... it's going to be quite expensive to run I think... so i'm looking at all the possible options :D

P

Guest spacemonkey

Also I think we need to figure out this MSN thing etc. The failure (and I've had it with avantgo as well) happens before it even tries to connect. It's almost like it just checks the settings on the phone, sees a proxy and decides to quit. Is this something to do with secure connections maybe? Need seperate secure proxy configuration somewhere?

Even though a modaco proxy would be a primo solution if it can't resolve this issue it's not a complete answer. Setting up a squid box on someones home adsl to trial settings etc could prove the conecpt anyways....

I'm still pondering... it's going to be quite expensive to run I think... so i'm looking at all the possible options :D

P

Guest fantastic_mr_q
Also I think we need to figure out this MSN thing etc. The failure (and I've had it with avantgo as well) happens before it even tries to connect. It's almost like it just checks the settings on the phone, sees a proxy and decides to quit. Is this something to do with secure connections maybe? Need seperate secure proxy configuration somewhere?

Even though a modaco proxy would be a primo solution if it can't resolve this issue it's not a complete answer. Setting up a squid box on someones home adsl to trial settings etc could prove the conecpt anyways....

What is this squid box you talk of? I would love to set something up for my own personal use as I leave my ADSL connection online all day and if I can route my GPRS and WEB usage through my home connection I would be chuffed! Is it secure or will other people be able to use it?

Edited by fantastic_mr_q

Guest Stuart_f
What is this squid box you talk of? I would love to set something up for my own personal use as I leave my ADSL connection online all day and if I can route my GPRS and WEB usage through my home connection I would be chuffed! Is it secure or will other people be able to use it?

Squid is a piece of software that acts as a proxy. The project is hosted on the Squid Homepage

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm currently thinking a better way to do this might be to get a windows box, and rather than have people connect to a proxy, let people VPN in.

Still provide a proxy on the box, but make it's use optional.

In that way, everything should work... and you have the added bonus that as all traffic is encrypted over the VPN, your provider can't see what exactly you are doing with the connection (e.g. IM), and content-lock won't apply :D

P

Guest Matt Kirby

A VPN based system sounds like a great idea, and also has other additional benefits as well.

I'd be willing to test a system if you ever need volunteers.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Another possible benefit is you could potentially have an area of space on the server with a quota (say 100MB) where you could store files off-device, mapping a connection with something like Resco Explorer.

Anyone 'in the know' enough to know any potential pitfalls?

I'd be using probably Windows Server 2003 + ISA Server 2006...

P

Guest adchaffey

Hi,

Paul, I'm not sure who you're planning on getting this dedicated server from, but many hosting providers are giving 30 day trials now, so could it be worth signing up and testing??

Guest adchaffey
Hmmm, not seen that.

Point me in the direction of a Europe based Windows host with a 30 day trial :D

P

www.oneandone.co.uk??

Not actually a 30 day trial, but they have a 30 day money back guarentee AFAIK.

Edited by adchaffey

Guest danktuft
Another possible benefit is you could potentially have an area of space on the server with a quota (say 100MB) where you could store files off-device, mapping a connection with something like Resco Explorer.

Anyone 'in the know' enough to know any potential pitfalls?

I'd be using probably Windows Server 2003 + ISA Server 2006...

P

This is getting better and better.

Guest squiggs1982

Err... sorry to be a pest, but can someone post the vanilla tmobile settings?

I seem to have deleted them and can't find what they should be (sorry! I have searched!)

Thanks! :D

Guest gurujockstrap

Using the Pipex Proxy Server. Everything works apart from MSN. Installed Agile Messenger and it works! :D

Edited by gurujockstrap

Guest adchaffey
I've heard 1and1 support horror stories, but I am still leaning towards them...

P

Yeah, their support is pretty poor tbh. I've had trouble with them in the past, but they're such good value.

If you get a root server with them, and you know what you're doing with it, you shouldn't really need their support. You can even re-image the server from the control panel if anything serious goes wrong, so no need to speak to them ever really!