TMobile CS denied knowledge of screen alignment issue.

Guest randomelements

Guest randomelements

Don't forget that the serial number just refers to date of manufacture - year and week. So 637 just means 2006 week 37. But we just hope that the newer ones have any issues ironed out.

On xda developers site people have reported that after installing a cingular rom on their devices, the problem has vanished.

This would indicate software, but then it's early days, maybe the problem will recurr a couple of weeks after they install the new rom.

So, do you think I should accept the reconditioned set, or stick with the one I have?

If you have gone beyond the first 28 days, i don't think you'll have much choice.

I would try and haggle for a new one.

I think the Cingular ROM thing is just coincidence, either that or the software on that ROM puts less strain on the CPU and therefore generates less heat.

If is the gasket which is casuing the screen issue, then that would make sense as heat would cause the gasket to expand adn therefore exert more pressure on the screen.

Guest marisa4755

Ok, alignment problems back, with over 48mb free memory.

Yesterday, got the unit to run really hot, ie charging while playing music and surfing, all seemed well until return to today screen afterwards and bingo, it was back again.

I am going to try the new unit and see how that goes.

Guest peekie

How is this problem going ? is it only the older models that have the problem ? main reason for asking is i maybe getting a vario2 as a work phone ( m3100 as a home phone as i cannot get it repaired here due to an ebay purchase and no m3100 phones in nl ) or do you guys think its better to wait or get a future model ?

my m3100 has never had the screen problem YET , so is it just bad luck if you get a faulty phone ? or do you think its maybe better to wait for the trintity model that has a built in gps and orange navigator ( if purchased by orange ) :rolleyes:

Guest richard_d
How is this problem going ? is it only the older models that have the problem ? main reason for asking is i maybe getting a vario2 as a work phone ( m3100 as a home phone as i cannot get it repaired here due to an ebay purchase and no m3100 phones in nl ) or do you guys think its better to wait or get a future model ?

my m3100 has never had the screen problem YET , so is it just bad luck if you get a faulty phone ? or do you think its maybe better to wait for the trintity model that has a built in gps and orange navigator ( if purchased by orange ) :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised if HTC are still producing phones with the problem - they know it's a problem with the gasket around the LCD AFAIK. I've not had a problem with my relatively early Vario 2 (632) it certainly doesn't affect all phones. The Trinity doesn't look bad, but the processor is a lot slower...

Fingers crossed for you noodles.

I am on my sec vario II no probs so far I have had it for abt 2 weeks now, its a 634.

1st was a 632 that start showing the problem after 3 weeks, so fingers crossed.

I am on my sec vario II no probs so far I have had it for abt 2 weeks now, its a 634.

1st was a 632 that start showing the problem after 3 weeks, so fingers crossed.

Any more updates on this? Im getting a replacement on Saturday from T-mobile. Im not going to use the case, as I think thats what caused it to go wrong in the first place. Anyone back me up on this? Anyone experienced the problem and NEVER put it in the case or even near it?

The built in magnet is very strong.What must it be doing to the internal components ?!!!

Guest randomelements
Anyone experienced the problem and NEVER put it in the case or even near it?

I never used the case and still had the alignment problem, but I really don't trust the magnets anyway :rolleyes:

I never used the case and still had the alignment problem, but I really don't trust the magnets anyway :rolleyes:

I occasionally seem to get alignment problems in some applications. For instance I was running Worms yesterday and the vertical alignment just totally went. I couldn't quit the app since I couldn't hit the close button so soft reset and it was fine afterwards. Dunno, if this is normal for a PPC though? Never bothers me in normal use however.

• 2 weeks later...

here we go again after 1 month on my second vario II screen alignment again.

just 1 re-alignment so far, it just happened after I increased network performance over battery performance maybe something there am sure increasing the network performance will put more strain on battery therefore increasing heat.

by the way its a 634

I really hope its a one off. I don't want to reinstall everything and be with out my vario :rolleyes:

ok I've re-aligned about 10 times now looks like its a call to t-mobile in the morning am p*ss off this is my second vario I believe its just over the 28 days but I don't know if that is even an option on a second replacement.

I'll keep u posted I remember reading on this thread about an act that should allow me to get a new one I'll see if I can use that.

Guest bydandie
ok I've re-aligned about 10 times now looks like its a call to t-mobile in the morning am p*ss off this is my second vario I believe its just over the 28 days but I don't know if that is even an option on a second replacement.

I'll keep u posted I remember reading on this thread about an act that should allow me to get a new one I'll see if I can use that.

That'll be the supply of goods to consumers regs 2002! :rolleyes:

Guest gingerprince

Well mine's been pretty bad for realignment since I got it, needing realignment at least every couple of days.

Just for a giggle early last week I wiped it and am now using it with hardly any 3rd-party software, and it hasn't needed realigning once so far!

So at least for mine it looks like possibly a software issue? I'm going to add stuff back bit by bit to see what norps it.

Guest Andygtt

Mine also seems to regularly go out of alignment.... I've stopped bothering to re-align it and just use the buttons etc when its playing up.

Guess there isn't any point getting another phone as its just as likelly to have the same problem in a few weeks and may end up with other problems.

Bit of a shame though as its a bloody excellent bit of kit and way better than the old A1000 I used to love.

Guest MikeWard1701

Hi folks, been reading this thread with interest and concern. But your views have proved invalube

I'll be hopefully buying my Vario II around 10/11 Nov and want to do the best I can to make sure I don't walk out of the store with a duff handset.

How are those with the HT637 and HT638 serials doing?

Also regarding batteries losing charge, Li-Ion batteries (high capacity ones) as far as I understand them and based on personal experience do lose their charge if not used (upto 50% in the first 24hours in some cases). Plus its still not an exact science, reliability can vary greatly and some can sip through the QC.

Will subscribe to the thread to keep abreast of what transpires.

Mike

Guest noodles-21

this is rediculous my vario 2 has gone totally ga-ga! mis-alignment has become really bad!! :rolleyes:

Edited by noodles-21

this is rediculous my vario 2 has gone totally ga-ga! mis-alignment has become really bad!! :rolleyes:

That really sucks. I guess we must be up to HTC64x by now? Since it has happened three times I guess you could ask for a different handset - don't know if the Artemis or any other recent HTC release is on its way to TMob?

Guest noodles-21

I'll be giving t-mob a ring tomorrow or tuesday. I love the vario 2 and am just wondering, if they did offer a replacement, what's the best thing to go for?

:rolleyes:

Guest richard_d
I'll be giving t-mob a ring tomorrow or tuesday. I love the vario 2 and am just wondering, if they did offer a replacement, what's the best thing to go for?

:(

There's nothing really comparable on T-mobile at the moment (next best is probably the MDA Pro) unless you want to join the opposition and go Symbian - the N73 isn't bad as a smartphone apart from the inferior operating system :rolleyes: Stick with the Vario 2 - mines been pretty much problem free for 2 and a half months - they don't all have problems...

• 4 weeks later...

I have just had my Vario II away for repair for this screen alignment issue. The report from the repair centre came back with one word... "screening" - what the hell does screening mean? Needless to say, within 6 hours of having it back in my hand the screen has gone out of alignment again. I am *not* waiting another 3 weeks for my phone to go away for repair again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this? I am tempted to print of this entire thread and show them it as they said they wont replace my phone unless it has been away for repair 4 times!

Shocking service :)

Craig