FinalBurn for WinCE 0.014

Guest masterall

Guest mikeeey
it sounds dissapointing a bit; i know that gigawing is launchable, what is wrong with the rest? i tested raiden fighters2 and that title isnt showing on list in finalburnCE... rest too?

btw, ms2 is only ms with working savestates on my machine.

2 questions to Masterall(purely theoretic):

- is it possible to add more titles?

- how is mame emulation linked with finalburn - i mean is it possible to join neogeo, cps'es and mame emulation in 1 program( without killing performance etc)?

one important thing about picodrive which i must write here: picodrie NEEDS same screen controls as Finaburn!

i am testin every possible emulator launchable on ppc, and couldnt realize, what lacks in most of them.

i figured it out after massive amount of time spent on metal slugs,which wasnt launchable before Finalburn: screen touch zones. picodrive is great, but onscreen buttons are making display squashed.

unbelievably high playability with finalburn is made by that feature, and trust me, picodrive would be best ever with invisible onscreen zones, Masterall.

sorry for offtopic, but really, this hit me hard.

yea i was listing roms that either weren't supported yet or dont work properly. some also aren't supported in the pc version of finalburn but they do update sometimes and probably will eventually be supported.

Guest mikeeey
Any chance of an option to clip the screen instead of resizing it for future versions? Ta.

wats that mean by clip the screen?

that isnt when it cuts part of the game off is it?

Edited by mikeeey

Guest mikeeey
Yup, I prefer to have part of the screen clipped off than to have it scaled. Some of the Capcom games are only marginally bigger than 320x240.

yea but if masterall did do that there would be a lot of complaints about it. i think it would be much better to stretch it to size since like u said its vry close to 320x240, wich would hardly make a noticable difference if stretched.

i did hav an idea tho...

i was thinkin it could look a little something like this:

ss001nm8.png

This isnt what it looks like on my phone (i wish it did tho), i just made this in paint.

notice how all of the display settings are avaible to choose from, including Portrait and landscape left and right.

also u can choose the resolution u want it to be. wich would be good for people who prefer a 240x240 resolution or watever preferd size.

masterall i hope u consider adding this option. :)

Guest daedalia

Err ... Why would there be complaints? You just have a check box that says 'Scale to screen', defaulted as on.

The distortion due to the 44 less pixels is noticeable (why I requested this).

The trouble with defining the rendering resolution is that CPS1 & 2 use 384x224 where as the NeoGeo uses 320x240(i think). In my scenario I would have to change this setting each time I went from a Capcom to NeoGeo game unless extra options were in place such as one to control the scaling if bigger or smaller between the hardwares, different rendering res for each hardware etc. This would mean more farting around for Masterall to implement and I'm sure he would rather be working on compatibility issues and improving the emulation. The clipping option should be easy to implement and take up very little of Masteralls time.

I'm not to clear on why would you want to be able to set the rendering resolution in this manner?

Edited by daedalia

Guest daedalia

How much free program memory do you need to run Metal Slug? Uncompressed the ROM is about 26Mb, is it much more than this?

## Sorry, read more of the thread & figured it out ##

Mikeeey; that game you're after sounds like Varth.

Edited by daedalia

Guest mikeeey
Err ... Why would there be complaints? You just have a check box that says 'Scale to screen', defaulted as on.

The distortion due to the 44 less pixels is noticeable (why I requested this).

The trouble with defining the rendering resolution is that CPS1 & 2 use 384x224 where as the NeoGeo uses 320x240(i think). In my scenario I would have to change this setting each time I went from a Capcom to NeoGeo game unless extra options were in place such as one to control the scaling if bigger or smaller between the hardwares, different rendering res for each hardware etc. This would mean more farting around for Masterall to implement and I'm sure he would rather be working on compatibility issues and improving the emulation. The clipping option should be easy to implement and take up very little of Masteralls time.

I'm not to clear on why would you want to be able to set the rendering resolution in this manner?

well because when masterall did the clip setting with picodrive people complained about this. the left and right was cut off.

for neogeo games and any other game that displays as 320x240+ then it makes it almsot impossable or very frustraiting for smartphone users to play. for games that display as 240x320 are easy for smartphone but anything else is hard.

if u clipped off a game that displayed 320x240 and got it to fit the screen of a 240x320 device then it would look something like this...

ss000do5.png

this is a 320x240 landscape game clipped to fit a QVGA 240x320 screen

u wouldnt mind if ur games were cut off like that?

o and no it wasnt varth but i really do like that game and other vertical shooter games like this.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest masterall

rstall:

not tested with 240x240 resolution

PolloLoco:

thanks for your unable to save game list, I will test with them when I fix the save state

nothin:

Unfortunately, the answer of the two questions you asked is negative.

Finalburn has a quite different structure compare to mame, so to merge them together is much more diffcult than build two seperate software.

The last thing can do to add more games to finalburn (for wince) is writing new neogeo games driver or add some other drivers such as psikyo and toaplan which are already supported by the pc version of finalburn.

Actually, to port mamegp2x to wince is not very difficult.

daedalia:

you are correct, the cps is 384x224 and neogeo is 320x224.

for performance's sake, the blitter of finalburn is separated to about 20 different function for verious resolution(i.e. 176x220, 240x320, ...) and different types of game (i.e. neogeo and cps).

So, Mikeeey's idea is not feasible for the performance's sake, a general blitter to stretch a frame to any size and blit to the screen should cost at least 50ms, which will cause low fps.

Your suggest is also not easy to fulfill, because it need to add more than 20 different blitter function to handle clip blit with different resolutions, and it seems not a urgent requirement for many people. : )

All:

More neogeo games supported by the 0.006 wip now, including kof97-kof2k3nd, mslug5nd, svcnd.

And dino, punisher has sound now.

Guest mikeeey
rstall:

not tested with 240x240 resolution

PolloLoco:

thanks for your unable to save game list, I will test with them when I fix the save state

nothin:

Unfortunately, the answer of the two questions you asked is negative.

Finalburn has a quite different structure compare to mame, so to merge them together is much more diffcult than build two seperate software.

The last thing can do to add more games to finalburn (for wince) is writing new neogeo games driver or add some other drivers such as psikyo and toaplan which are already supported by the pc version of finalburn.

Actually, to port mamegp2x to wince is not very difficult.

daedalia:

you are correct, the cps is 384x224 and neogeo is 320x224.

for performance's sake, the blitter of finalburn is separated to about 20 different function for verious resolution(i.e. 176x220, 240x320, ...) and different types of game (i.e. neogeo and cps).

So, Mikeeey's idea is not feasible for the performance's sake, a general blitter to stretch a frame to any size and blit to the screen should cost at least 50ms, which will cause low fps.

Your suggest is also not easy to fulfill, because it need to add more than 20 different blitter function to handle clip blit with different resolutions, and it seems not a urgent requirement for many people. : )

All:

More neogeo games supported by the 0.006 wip now, including kof97-kof2k3nd, mslug5nd, svcnd.

so is there any way at all to get it to display easly for smartphone users? even if it had to be scaled down like how the origional portrait for picodrive was...

and it hasnt been an urgent requirement for most people cuz iv noticed most people are using pocket pc's wich u can easly play landscape. us smartphone users cant really do that :)

Edited by mikeeey

All:

Dino with Sound finally? YAY! Thats one of my Alltime Faves besides the three D&D Games! Thanks alot!

Guest daedalia
u wouldnt mind if ur games were cut off like that?

As its only a few pixels (I play them in landscape), no.

o and no it wasnt varth but i really do like that game and other vertical shooter games like this.

I know my shooters well, any more details on the one you're looking for.

Masterall: no worries, it's not important, only a whim, I thought it might be easy to facilitate. Btw I'm getting the same sound problems with Final burn as with Picodrive. Oh and again nice work, any other wonderful PPC emulators that you have done.

Edited by daedalia

good news, im waiting (im)patiently...

update:

wait a minute... porting gp2x emulators is easy IN GENERAL?! or this one is easy one?

i am asking, because new uae for gp2x is using that ultrafast motorola code, and... i am still thinking about reasonable amy emulator..sry for offtopic...

Edited by nothin

Guest mikeeey

Masterall: no worries, it's not important, only a whim, I thought it might be easy to facilitate. Btw I'm getting the same sound problems with Final burn as with Picodrive. Oh and again nice work, any other wonderful PPC emulators that you have done.

its more than just a few pixels when it comes to certian games tho. in some games like metal slug, or some vertical air shooters that display landscape, u couldnt see your lives or all of your credits. notice on 1944 you cant see all of your bombs, and on metal slug u cant tell rite away if theres someone comming from the right or not.

cutofflu1.png

Edited by mikeeey

its more than jsut a few pixels when it comes to certian games tho. il find a game that really matters if u can see the entire screen or not...

erm, i think this feature is used in fastest PORTRAIT snes emulator, sne9xJ4u. screen is clipped a bit(to AVOID rescale), but speed is awesome( 44khz sound stereo, echo etc, frameskip 3 on 300-400 mhz xscale wm03)..so potentially this "feature" should be so easy to add, that is isnt neccesary to get in further with topic, lets think what to launch in finalburn instead:)..

of course, it may be nonsense to use it in some games, but again,..let it be...

btw i have strange problem with saves.

im using fbaud to make cache; its fast and ok in general. but im starting to think, that savestates problem is linked with that method of making cache. saves in metal slug 2 are working sometimes, sometimes not, its hard to get a pattern in matter...

---------

just tested games:

carrier at war hangs at start of loading...

alien vs predator is doing fine,

dimahoo IS WORKING! - it can be slow sometimes, what a carnage...

ghost pilots hangs as carrier at wing,

ghouls and ghosts workin fine,

knights of the round is working fine,

mighty! pang on ppc is trying to make cache, and after that ive typial "bad cache" rubbish on screen, on pc it is no cache... finalburm hangs at exit,

progear - same as above...

spin master is working,

u.n. squadron is working,

three wonders is working,

varth is working,

kof95 ok!

alpha mission 2 is working fine, what a neat oldscool shooter:),

Edited by nothin

Guest mikeeey

o yea and about that game... i dont remember if u cant pick wat plane u wanna be at the begining, but i do remember the first level is in the sky, and the first boss at the end of that level is a giant aircraft type thing. the graphics on this game was amazing.. well for a arcade game. They were much better than varth. everything looked as if it was animated to the fullest that it could support. there were lots of upgrades to get and before u knew it u would have a lazers and missles and different types of bullets and just tons of stuff shootin out of wat now looks like a small little ship of yours. i dont think it was a game where if u collect 1 upgrade the other goes away, i think everything stayed. it was a popular shooter they would have in a lot of restaurants that had arcade rooms, well atleast here in Washington it was.

i think the next level had a huge tank thing that u had to fight.

if i remember anything else il add that to here.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest daedalia

Mikeeey; my screen res is 240x320, i play the games in landscape (320x240) as I have a slide out keyboard. That means that NeoGeo games fit inside the screen ok, CPS1 & 2 display at 384x240 so I'd only loose 22 pixels each side which leaves the game still very playable. I'll have a rummage for that shooter, are we talking mid-90s here when it was around?

sorry, my machine is too slow to check sound too, everything i tested is without sound and with cache made on ppc,not pc. i think that smaller titles should be able to work with sound..maybe ill make an update..later.

um strange: blazing star(super game!), 60 mb game, is working with sound, 44 khz, stereo, absolutely perfect.

so its no size what makes sound choppy in other titles...?

no sound in dimahoo - its silent.

Edited by nothin

Guest puerrican718

Getting full speed on my TYTN ppc. Marvel vs capcom runs smooth (a little too fast even) and Alien vs predator runs good as well. Nice work on the emu :) first time I actually need frameskip to play on normal speed lol.

I guess the ATI video chip on it really helps out.

Guest mikeeey
Mikeeey; my screen res is 240x320, i play the games in landscape (320x240) as I have a slide out keyboard. That means that NeoGeo games fit inside the screen ok, CPS1 & 2 display at 384x240 so I'd only loose 22 pixels each side which leaves the game still very playable. I'll have a rummage for that shooter, are we talking mid-90s here when it was around?

o, so on ur device it would be better if games were cut. on mine, not so much...

and that shooter i know was in the 90's, im pretty sure it wasnt early 90's. i remember playing it at a pizza restaurant back in...2000, i dont remember if i played it before that, i think i did. now that i think about it, it was probably a late 90's game. i just remember always playing it at pizza restaurants in the late 90's, but that doesnt mean it was made in the late 90's, but since the graphics were so much better than other early shooters then im guessing it was late 90's

Edited by mikeeey

Guest masterall

spc9999:

0.006 will work on your device now, however, it will not stretch to full screen.

nothin:

in 0.006, some save state error fixed, so it may work for mslug2, I tested it with mslug, some other error prevent it from load corrected : (

Guest Peter Ju

ScreenPad Settings can not adjust button sequence.

When I play Street Fighter II, it requires 6 button (A,B,C,D,E,F)

But ScreenPad Mode 1 option just support 3 button, and List Box

DO NOT WORK!! It has just fixed 1 button name in every color!!

I suggest these buttons must be at least 4.. and must be can adjust

button sequence!!