Zune on Vista

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest rubenalejandro

An error occurred while applying security settings. Users is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package, or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click Retry, or Cancel to end the install.

Please I need your help. This Error appears when installing Zune software, before REBOOTing the computer. What should I do?

Guest Fraktionz

hey here's da thing..... forgot to get da zune device on da comp

is der ne other way I could intsall da device so i could get syncing?

Guest smuck

Hi

I got problems installing the zune on windows vista home, I have try all this 3 steps and none of them have worked:

1) I read whats on the begining on this topic and tryed to install, but it didnt worked. When im reaching the end of the installation, I get the rollback setting and it doesnt installs.

2) I dled the zune software from zune.net, and it went thru the first page then when it stucks on the screen where it searches for the lastest updates.

Im frustated about the Zune, its making me crazy, Can I get some help from here??

Thx

Guest marcio77

When installing, windows shows "users is not a valid user or group". What's the problem? Thanks

marcio

Edited by marcio77

Guest beos000

Every step works out fine but when I did the CMD-part , and it starts installing without any permissions , it stops after installing about 75%...

I get an error saying "Users is not a valid group or user"

I believe this could be an error due to the fact I have a Dutch-Vista... I've tried out every site's solution and well this is my last hope.. It's really frustating to buy such a new product of MS and buying Vista (dutch) , and then having to notice they aren't compatible...

If anyone could help ?!

thnx (ps: i've attached a picture giving the error I always get)

Thnx in advance ,

A desperate boy from Belgium

post-230852-1177858649_thumb.jpg

Guest Americanino
As many of you will know, I recently purchased a Microsoft Zune player (to replace my lost iPod, which never surfaced no thanks to crappy Iberia!). Unfortunately, days before the arrival of my Zune from the USA, I made the switch to Windows Vista. This meant that, when the Zune arrived, I couldn't sync it up with my media-stuffed laptop, as in their infinite wisdom, Microsoft have decided NOT to make a Vista friendly version of the software available yet.

post-1-1164190118_thumb.jpg

DOH!

So I set about seeing if the XP software could run happily on Vista! It does... and here's how I did it!

Prerequisites

You need 3 things to carry out this process.

1. Zune CD - You need the CD that came with your Zune :rolleyes:

2. WinRAR - You need WinRAR installed, the trial version is fine. Get it here

3. My Zune.msi install patch - You need the all important installer patch, from here: zunevista.exe

Before we start

Usual caveats apply, if your PC / Zune blows up, don't blame me (but it's working fine for me!)

The process itself is dead easy, and i've broken everything down to be as simple as possible... so don't be daunted that there's a lot of steps (well, only 10!) :P I have UAC enabled on my Vista build (the default), if you don't, then you can ignore any steps related to running things as an administrator.

Finally, don't actually plug in your Zune until prompted to do so by the Zune software.

Let's get started!

Instructions

1. Create a directory on your desktop called 'Zune'. You can delete this at the end, it's a temporary storage area.

2. Copy the 'zunevista.exe' file you downloaded above to this new directory.

2. Put your Zune CD in the CD drive. In the 'Packages\ZUNE' directory you'll find a file called 'Zune-x86-ENU.exe'. Copy that to the folder you just created.

3. This bit is why you need WinRAR! Right click the file you've just copied, and select 'Extract Here'.

4. You now have 'Zune.msi' right? Great! You can now delete 'Zune-x86-ENU.exe'.

5. Now we're going to patch the MSI to install on Vista using my patch. Double click 'zunevista.exe'. You'll get prompted by Windows to allow the application to run. Allow it :D

6. You'll see the patch run, and it will tell you it's successfully completed. Hurrah! You now have a Vista friendly zune.msi! You can delete zunevista.exe now.

We now need to run the MSI, but with elevated permissions, which is a bit of a pain. You can't just right click an MSI and do 'run as administrator', so you have to jump through some hoops.

7. Click the 'start orb' or press the windows key, and type 'cmd'. You'll see the cmd application is selected, but DON'T hit enter. Hit CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER instead! You'll be instantly prompted for permission to run the application, indicating that it will be running with elevated permissions.

8. We need to run the MSI now. Type the following 'C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\Zune\Zune.msi', obviously replacing the path as appropriate for your configuration.

You'll now be led through the Zune setup! Hurrah! Just install as normal, and when the install is finished... REBOOT. This is not an optional step, you MUST do this!

There is only one step left now, and that is to set the Zune software itself to run in XP Compatability mode. This is because MS have implemented an OS check in the software.

9. Click the 'start orb' or press the windows key, and type 'Zune'. You'll see the Zune application itself on the list - right click it, and select 'Properties'. Select the 'Compatability' tab and check 'Run this program in compatability mode for'. Click OK.

That's it! You're done! :D You can use the Desktop or Start Menu shortcut for Zune to launch the software, and get syncing! :rolleyes:

I hope this is useful, and worked, so please post below with feedback!

P

zunevista.jpg

Guest donkaos

Help me please,

i've the same problems as the other users ..

How to run the zune.msi file as administrator ? I'm getting crazy :rolleyes: When I launch the zune.msi, after the patch, the installation finish with "Rolling Back Action" , after the step "writing the reg value " .

Thanks !!!

dk

Guest Tinny12
Help me please,

i've the same problems as the other users ..

How to run the zune.msi file as administrator ? I'm getting crazy :rolleyes: When I launch the zune.msi, after the patch, the installation finish with "Rolling Back Action" , after the step "writing the reg value " .

Thanks !!!

dk

Same problem. I've got the dutch version of Vista

The problem is, i guess, the folders are named C:\Gebruikers in Dutch vista. On the English version of Vista its called: C:\Users . But when i am in CMD and i type 'dir' i will see C:\users instead of C:\gebruikers (thats what i see when i browse it the windows browers).

Bit weird...

Guest betopinilla

ok if u have the problem with the users and groups try this before doing paul's mettod..

this problem is because ur vista is not in english. mine is in spanish and finally i can run it :rolleyes:

start write CMD then accept-

u need this

c:\documents and settings\users\yourUsersName

then write this

net localgroup USERS /add

hit Enter

net localgroup INTERACTIVE /add

hit Enter

net localgroup USERS "UsersName" /add

hit Enter

(ex. net localgroup USERS Matias /add)

net localgroup INTERACTIVE "NOMBRE USUARIO" /add

(ex: net localgroup INTERACTIVE Matias /add)

hit Enter

if you try to create the groups users and interactive but when u are creating interactive apears an error "the acc is alrready created" try creating the user interactivo.

post-256469-1179289895_thumb.jpg

Guest modacorod22

Hi Paul:

I recently purchase a Zune in Los Angeles CA. I Live in Colombia and I have windows vista in spanish version.

I was follow all the indications of your procedure, however, when I hit the patch in CDM as a administrator to install zune.msi (C:\Users\name\Desktop\Zune\Zune.msi), the system show me a box whit an error.

What can I do. All the otres indications were complete fine.

Thanks

As many of you will know, I recently purchased a Microsoft Zune player (to replace my lost iPod, which never surfaced no thanks to crappy Iberia!). Unfortunately, days before the arrival of my Zune from the USA, I made the switch to Windows Vista. This meant that, when the Zune arrived, I couldn't sync it up with my media-stuffed laptop, as in their infinite wisdom, Microsoft have decided NOT to make a Vista friendly version of the software available yet.

DOH!

So I set about seeing if the XP software could run happily on Vista! It does... and here's how I did it!

Prerequisites

3. My Zune.msi install patch - You need the all important installer patch, from here: zunevista.exe

Before we start

Usual caveats apply, if your PC / Zune blows up, don't blame me (but it's working fine for me!)

The process itself is dead easy, and i've broken everything down to be as simple as possible... so don't be daunted that there's a lot of steps (well, only 10!) :P I have UAC enabled on my Vista build (the default), if you don't, then you can ignore any steps related to running things as an administrator.

Finally, don't actually plug in your Zune until prompted to do so by the Zune software.

Let's get started!

Instructions

1. Create a directory on your desktop called 'Zune'. You can delete this at the end, it's a temporary storage area.

2. Put your Zune CD in the CD drive. In the 'Packages\ZUNE' directory you'll find a file called 'Zune-x86-ENU.exe'. Copy that to the folder you just created.

3. This bit is why you need WinRAR! Right click the file you've just copied, and select 'Extract Here'.

5. Now we're going to patch the MSI to install on Vista using my patch. Double click 'zunevista.exe'. You'll get prompted by Windows to allow the application to run. Allow it :D

6. You'll see the patch run, and it will tell you it's successfully completed. Hurrah! You now have a Vista friendly zune.msi! You can delete zunevista.exe now.

We now need to run the MSI, but with elevated permissions, which is a bit of a pain. You can't just right click an MSI and do 'run as administrator', so you have to jump through some hoops.

7. Click the 'start orb' or press the windows key, and type 'cmd'. You'll see the cmd application is selected, but DON'T hit enter. Hit CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER instead! You'll be instantly prompted for permission to run the application, indicating that it will be running with elevated permissions.

8. We need to run the MSI now. Type the following 'C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\Zune\Zune.msi', obviously replacing the path as appropriate for your configuration.

You'll now be led through the Zune setup! Hurrah! Just install as normal, and when the install is finished... REBOOT. This is not an optional step, you MUST do this!

There is only one step left now, and that is to set the Zune software itself to run in XP Compatability mode. This is because MS have implemented an OS check in the software.

9. Click the 'start orb' or press the windows key, and type 'Zune'. You'll see the Zune application itself on the list - right click it, and select 'Properties'. Select the 'Compatability' tab and check 'Run this program in compatability mode for'. Click OK.

That's it! You're done! :D You can use the Desktop or Start Menu shortcut for Zune to launch the software, and get syncing! :rolleyes:

P

zunevista.jpg

Guest Charly_One

Hi Paul,

I use Vista Ultimate in Dutch. Your installation process described worked fine. But ones I start the Zune software it asks me to connect my Zune. Once I do this, it starts searching for the driver and can't find that anywhere (not on the original CD nor on the windows update site). If I skip the installation of my Zune device, I can use the Zune software, but it does not show my device connected. I tried to reconnect several times, but it cannot find the corret driver anywhere. What can I do?

Please help ....

Thanx,

Charles

Sorry, found the solution myself. The installation program was looking in the wrong directory by default. I redirected the search for the driver to the //Program Files/Zune directory. Now it works fine.

Thanx for the great solution.!!

Edited by Charly_One

Guest Itachi_Uchiha

DOH!

Prerequisites

Before we start

Let's get started!

Instructions

P

zunevista.jpg

Guest Itachi_Uchiha

DOH!

Prerequisites

Before we start

Let's get started!

Instructions

P

zunevista.jpg

You Rock!

Guest dandav123

Please help me!!! I can't extract the file "Zune-x86-ENU"... I don´t know why???... but it doesn't appear anything when I put "extract here"... please help mee!!!

Guest beos000

Hi paul,

i've followed all your instructions and finally got everything working BUT

when he starts installing , he does almost everything (writing system values,etc..) but than he does a ROLLBACK-action , deleting the entire install as a matter of fact...

anyone had this problem too? and what must we do about it?

I have a Vista Ultimate version however it's a dutch version...

anybody ideas?

Greetz

(PS: the zune-install on zune.net that should be Vista compatible, simply states that "no zune software updates were found" ----> perhaps this install could be the solution so how do I get this working?)

Guest iamweasel66

PARA QUIENES LES APARECE ROLLING BACK ACTION!!!

saquen zune.msi de la carpeta zune del escritorio y vallan a C:\Windows\System32 y coloquenlo ahi!!

despues: inicio teclean cmd y le dan CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

escriben zune.msi

enter instalan resetean

y ya!!!

GEt zune.msi out from zune folder on the desktop

put zune.msi on C:\Windows\System32

start---> type cmd DONT PRESS ENTER!!!!!!!!!!!! TYPE CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

type zune.msi

reboT

and it's F done :rolleyes: venezuela roCks!

Guest goatyman

Could this work for windows media center 2002?

DOH!

Prerequisites

Before we start

Let's get started!

Instructions

P

zunevista.jpg

Guest akomari

DOH!

Prerequisites

Before we start

Let's get started!

Instructions

P

zunevista.jpg

I've followed every step but still get roll back. Whenever I hit ctrl-shift-enter the screen just disappears.

Guest lionfish

ok ok so i got it to work but when i try to sign in on the program to get new service it says it cant do anything because my browser doesnt accept cookies....when my browser does....wtf...microsoft REALLY pisses me off

Guest lionfish

ok ok so i got it to work but when i try to sign in on the program to get new service it says it cant do anything because my browser doesnt accept cookies....when my browser does....wtf...microsoft REALLY pisses me off.

can anyone help???

Guest jim.mason

I bought a Zune from the US in April. When I got back to the UK I installed the software (Vista Home) that came with the unit and it installed without any problems and also picked up the 1.3 update for the unit and this also installed without any problems.

The only issue I have is that as the Zune isn't sold in the UK yet, I can't log in to the marketplace which is a real pain - just means that I will have to download music from other sources until they do release it (wishful thinking???)

Apart from that I'm really pleased with it although the wifi function is a bit pointless at the mo' :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jim

Guest lionfish

im trying to create a zune acount but it wont let me becuase it says that my browser isnt accepting cookies....when it is....what now???