Were you a Locust user?

Guest chucky.egg

Guest mwright
Someone find me a jabber handset messaging client that works properly and I'll set up a test server but beyond that I can't make any promises.

Best Regards,

Jon Anderson

As far as series60 is concerned - there is Agile Messenger and IM+ for starters. They both seem pretty stable.

Although there is still the old problem with using IM - that it does not always work very well if you connect/disconnect all the time. You stand a chance of losing messages.

Guest Jay3gsm

Agile is a good app, I used to use it before on one of my first S60 phones to access Locust when SMS was pulled. Agile have a beta app for S60 3rd edition phones available now which I am using, so far so good. IM+ is also going to be available for S60 3rd Edition. I tried it and it works well (Also works with Google Talk)

For a Java app, could something like Tex2 work? Tex2 is designed to replace SMS. Whilst I doubt that will happen, it does offer a cheap way of sending messages via GPRS. The sender and the recipient need the app installed. You send a message, the recipient gets it on their phone, same as SMS works. Major difference is in cost. Firstly it is much cheaper to send via GPRS, secondly the recipient incurs a charge for receiving the message (but this is a minimal data charge for downloading the message, nothing expensive at all)

If you happen to not be logged in to Tex2 when you receive a message, it will be stored until you next login. As it stands at the moment messges are stored for an unlimited amount of time, and an unlimited number of messages are stored. Something like this app would work really well for Locust 2.0 as a java app is going to be more open to more mebers than a Symbian app. Or, even worse, a Windows Mobile only app! (That would *really* suck!)

More info on Tex2 here:

http://www.tex2me.com/index.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Jay3gsm

So now the Orange tariffs are being tweaked, and for ?35 a month you can get a Dolphin tariff with unlimited text, can Locust be set up in the old way? Orange are on record saying unlimited really means unlimited. As I recall we used to pay subs for Locust, wasn't it ?3 a month? That would cover tariff costs, no?

• 4 months later...
Guest mwright
If that doesn't pan out, i'm tempted to do something from scratch myself :)

P

I would certainly like to help with that if you decide to go that route. I did think of doing something once Locust started to go t**s up

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm still undecided what to use as a medium.

It did strike me that push email would actually work quite well, lol, but i'm not planning to go that route :)

P

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest Jay3gsm

Heh, two years later, and Jay walks back into the Mobiholics forum....

"Hellooooooo???" Seems a bit empty in here, Jay thinks. Jay starts looking for hidden Locusts.....

Wonder where they could be...??!?