Eten Glofiish X500 and M700... T-Mobile UK users beware!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest csw43

This lack of response from eten to you Paul is now beginning to remind me of the reaction i got personally when i tried to get an answer to the t mobile gprs issue weeks ago. The x500 seems to be a very good device but i can assure you this is the last eten/glofiish device i will purchase, and retailers are still selling it as a simfree unit and not warning of the t mobile gprs mess. Please keep on this Paul as im sure you will have a greater chance of obtaining a reply than this mere mortal whos has only spent his hard earned cash buying their product, thanks again for all your efforts ;)

Craig

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm keeping on it, have no doubt.

If nothing else I have a X500 and M700 here I really want to give a good test to, impossible without data connectivity!

P

Guest gilesjuk

Well if you publish a review and give it 35% due to totally rubbish support, useless camera and lack of GPRS connectivity then send this to Eten it might help ;)

It's a 2.5G phone, we should be having problems with such ancient technology.

Guest gilesjuk

Harsh but fair ;)

I've just emailed their sales team and had a whinge. Won't achieve anything as it probably gets delivered to /dev/null.

Oh well, just letting off steam.

As a new X500 owner on Virgin I have been following this with more than passing interest. I see on the dedicated eten board there appears to be confirmation that eten will probably be releasing a WM6 rom upgrade for the X500. Is it possible this might fixing the problem?

Edited by pedg

Guest gilesjuk

We don't even know what the problem is yet. I would suspect there's something a bit out of spec with the Virgin/T-Mobile GPRS network hardware and the particular GSM chipset used by the X500/M700 isn't working with it.

It might be possible to resolve by altering the driver, but this isn't an OS issue, it's a driver and hardware issue. I have had WM5 devices working perfectly well on Virgin/T-Mobile.

It's not even getting the G icon on the screen.

Guest gilesjuk
x500 seems to work OK with T-Mobile GPRS in the Netherlands, which presumably rules out certain ardware problems

No, it means in the Uk they use different cell hardware to other countries. It works in the US as well.

As for WM6, Eten are listed on some news article as being one of the first vendors who will provide it.

From what I understand from Eten, no decision has been made re: WM6.

P

Topic I refered to is this one: http://www.eten-users.net/topic7678

Where not eten themselves saying they will support WM6 just a newletter thing that may, or may not, be in the know.

My thinking was that if they are working to fix this T-mob/Virgin problem and if they are getting WM6 to work on the X500 then they might think it was sensible to spend their time making sure its fixed for WM6 as they can then get those having problems to upgrade to wm6 rather than go through the stages of testing a fix with both WM versions. Probably clutching at straws but would be nice to have it fixed and get WM6 at the same time.

Edited by pedg

Guest gilesjuk

Depends on the fix. Sticking a new DLL into a ROM or adding a registry key isn't much.

If anyone knows of a suitable diagnostic tool then I'd have a look myself. I've got some GSM ebooks somewhere.

Guest gilesjuk

Now there's a surprise then, Ebay tonight then. I just wish the self portrait mirror wasn't chipped ;) I've never had a chipped mirror ever. Just shows they use cheap parts.

Guest gilesjuk
Hi Paul, any news on this yet, and giles are you still selling the m700?

Yep, I have ordered a Nokia E90 communicator. I loved my Nokia 9210 communicator despite it's crummy memory allocation (the new one has 128mb of RAM so it won't be an issue now).

Back to Symbian, I've had WM devices for 2 years now, time for change.

Microsoft needs to get their act together, they spend their time making compact SQL databases for their phones instead of powerful multimedia features.

Give anyone the choice of running SQL and recording video 640x480@FPS and I know what most people will want. Even business users like to take pictures etc..

Edited by gilesjuk

Guest topper69

Hello, would anyone happen to know,,,, I have an x500 and am with T-mobile and will shortly be going to France for 10 days. Will GPRS work for me whilst abroad and roaming etc? (unlike at home <_< )

many thanks for your help,,,

Guest topper69
Yeah, it should be fine, albeit expensive :D

P

jolly good - agree with you though it does seem a bit excessive to have to travel abroad to pick up emails,,, ;)

Guest gilesjuk
jolly good - agree with you though it does seem a bit excessive to have to travel abroad to pick up emails,,, ;)

LOL, I was going to make a joke along those lines. Maybe you have to move country to get an Eten to work properly :D

Guest csw43

Paul...can i take it from the lack of progress on this subject that they have just not replied to you, rather like they didnt reply to me.Im sorry to keep asking the same questions,but if somone with your contacts cant get a response how the hell am i supposed to even think about obtaining some customer support.Do we even know if this a software issue?, Please keep trying to get an answer to this.

Cheers Craig

Edited by csw43

Guest gilesjuk

I'm free of the M700 now. Well until I post it off ;)

Eten can do as many interviews as they like, but they have a lot to learn about customer support. Yes there's always going to be a percentage of users who you can't please, usually down to astronomically high expectations. However the few features I actually use on a smartphone (SMS, MMS and GPRS) two of these didn't work.

A customer scorned is a customer lost.

Some brands have many fans, some people will follow brands like Sony quite loyally. Eten won't ever achieve these levels of loyalty if they don't ensure their product works on all networks.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.