NotBad - Notepad clone coming to an unlocked SPV near you

Guest MBoden

Lizard_king> i dont know what it means, i'm working on several things at the same time

at the moment i have the following projects

next version of Doom

trying to find a version of Mame that both has support for Bombjack and will run on the SPV (memorywise)

I'm looking at a spectrum emulator

more features for NotBad

and a couple of people are trying to talk me into making an explorer/commander clone

i take it one day at a time and see what gets finished first :-)

Guest Shire29

I've not downloaded this yet, still have not unlocked my phone, me is scaredy cat, but wanted to offer praise and admiration anyway, well done m8.

Keep up the good work, this type of development was one of the things that attracted me to the Smartphone platform in the first place.

Finish Doom and I'll unlock my phone fer sure.... :wink:

Cheers, Shire

I wont lie and say i havent looked into charging for software

i cant decide what to do though, i want to make freeware , but i got to eat as well

No matter what, i will still make freeware, there may be versions with more features that need registration, but if i do it that way, it will be "CheapWare". we're talking 2£/3$ i think

another idea is to offer the full version free of charge in an unsigned version and charge for the signed full version , i kinda like that, even though it's selfdestructive

Well, good news , bad news and worse news

the Good news : I have lots of time to make a lot of software

the bad news : i'll have to charge for some of it :-(

the worse news : all this because I got laid off today :-( :-(

That is a shame. :cry: I am also not working at the moment, but I am lucky because that is what I chose to do.

I hope you find something soon. It should take priority over any software developement. If you can find a model for selling Doom I would certainly be willing to pay. Someone mentioned the licence allowing you to charge for distribution.

You should consider offering enhanced features for you notepad at a small cost. I think many on this forum would be willing to buy if only to support your great efforts.

When you can, please carry on the good work, especially Doom.

Guest Gorskar

;)

I'm sure if you continue to write quality software people will be more than happy to pay a few quid. Handango seem to have a good distribution model.

The catch is certification. Until you can get apps certified the number of people you can sell your software to is quite limited

I wrote handango yesterday to inquire about certification, if they dont do that, i'm going to ask my boss to have my excess vacation converted to cash and then i'll probably buy 75 signings

I dont think charging for unsigned software is fair, at the end of the day Orange will more than likely close the decertification fix to stop unsigned apps working. If they are signed they will always work therefore we know our hard earned cash isnt subject to any risk

Amo, earlier today (before i got the boot) i wrote the i probably would end up giving away full version of unsigned software for free and may charge for full version signed software

as it is now i would probably be forced to do crippled unsigned versions free and full signed versions that cost 2£ or so

Guest crimminsky

sorry to hear the news......if you can do a gameboy advance emulator (don't think the phone can handle it though ;) ) I'll gladly send you a tenner in the post (or equiv euros).

Guest Gorskar

Notbad is a good application that fills a gaping hole in the included applications. With a few more options, (word wrap would be a good one.) and a digital signature I'm sure you could sell it to alot of people for a few quid a piece.

Guest awarner [MVP]

OK what if you charge full stop?

Then as you should have contact details of who has paid registration code email etc

give them a free upgrade if the cetification loophole gets fixed.

Like they say "Time is money" and as you suggest only charging a minimum ammount anyway

I would not have a problem paying ;)

Guest AsherUK

MBoden:. Sorry to hear that you got laid off.

I walked out of my job 5 years ago and then became self employed, and although it was difficult at first it's the best thing I've ever done - Now I can spend all day messing around with my SPV, well, almost all day, I do have to do some work !.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution to the situation, and keep up the excellent work with the SPV stuff...it's much appreciated.

Nasty mate very nasty, but then the SPV has just caused me to fail my exams (did really bad in todays) ! Yay to the SPV exam failure here i come!

DJ Hope