Orange finally prepping Web'n'walk competitor

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest pd.ryder
Orange has upgraded to the so called edge service. it is now one of the only networks in the uk to transmit and recieve data at almost double of the competitors. Although vodaphone say they can transmit 160kbs is utter bull well it is at the moment orange understate what they can do to keep customers happy. And the owa free homepage and free orange browsing within orange sites was due to be released sooner but due to network instability this isnt possible at them moment

I don't want to be rude chap, but T's standard W&W does 2048k down and 384k up which is far faster than Edge will ever be. I'm not sure where you get your information, but I guess it's flawed because O do not provide data at twice the rate of its competitors. Although the data it does provide seems to cost many times that of its competitors, so maybe it just 'feels' faster :)

Guest pjheliking
I don't want to be rude chap, but T's standard W&W does 2048k down and 384k up which is far faster than Edge will ever be. I'm not sure where you get your information, but I guess it's flawed because O do not provide data at twice the rate of its competitors. Although the data it does provide seems to cost many times that of its competitors, so maybe it just 'feels' faster :)

really well i have been lied too lol. But thats the speed off a broadband connection well a basic one anyway. The reason i uttered my comments last was because i was told by one of the data support engineers that orange has capabilities and does provide those speeds but doesnt brag about them and they are the fastest to date. And orange has the biggest 3g license(dunno what that means lol)well i do know that is going to change as vodaphone and orange are about to network share so those speeds will go down. ah well sorry to misinform ill go back and query it

Guest Samsonite
i do know that is going to change as vodaphone and orange are about to network share so those speeds will go down. ah well sorry to misinform ill go back and query it

?!?!?!? someone is spinning you an absolute peach of a line mate!!

the technology for downstream delivery is not dependant on which network provides it it is the standards they employ - UMTS is UMTS and it doesnt matter who's UMTS it is!! UMTS is a third generation technology (hence its known as 3G) and HSDPA is unofficially known as 3.5G...

serioulsy tho, it is really quite depressing that your trainers really are telling you this kind of stuff.

If you want to get well ahead of the game, spend an hour on Wikipedia looking UMTS, GPRS and HSDPA and you will learn a staggering amount.

Edited by Samsonite

Guest pd.ryder
really well i have been lied too lol. [sNIP] i was told by one of the data support engineers that orange has capabilities

Hmm, O may have the capability, but...

and does provide those speeds but doesnt brag about them and they are the fastest to date.

Err, no they don't. Your engineer is bragging. I can't see that they have the capacity or they would be throwing bandwidth at customers for a reasonable monthly cost and advertising it to the world for all to see. Believe me, if they had done this 6 months ago, I for one would still be with them.

And just to top it off, they've managed to come bottom of the pile in every Broadband survey known to man since buying out Wannado, basically through shoddy customer service.

On another note, probably best not to let on you're an Orange employee - you'll have users throwing bricks at you :)

:P

Guest Neil5459

Just to add my 2-pennorth!

The Orange story is just a load of waffle! (woffle?)

O do offer Edge, 3G and HSDPA, but none is universal. O's Edge is no faster than Voda's- they are both limited by the technology.

Where O do offer 3G or HSDPA, the speeds can be appallingly bad due to network congestion. Try downloading anything in or around Liverpool Street, in London at 6pm. More often than not, my M700 sticks at 'Connecting' for up to 2 minutes before being allocated a slot, then the speed is often no more than 75kbps, even with a 3G signal.

Move away to areas with lower cell loading, and the situation is much better, but no better than O2's service. (I use Orange and O2 for data)

Guest jimbouk

HSDPA is limited per cell. I think its something like ten concurrent users.

There is a major advantage to being one of the few people on O's unlimited data (OWU - 1gb per month) bundle. There's so few of us you hardly ever have to wait for a cell's H availability.

Guest Neil5459
HSDPA is limited per cell. I think its something like ten concurrent users.

There is a major advantage to being one of the few people on O's unlimited data (OWU - 1gb per month) bundle. There's so few of us you hardly ever have to wait for a cell's H availability.

.. just to make the rest of us feel hard done by :) :P

Guest pd.ryder

I'm sure O's HSDPA isn't limited to just those on the unlimited tarrif :)

My missus can access it and she's only got 4meg a month to play with. And just to press the point, I can access T's HSDPA anywhere in the UK - not just conjested cities :P

Guest Neil5459

Agreed- I have a standard Orange World 25 data contract, and can receive HSDPA where it's available.

Mind you a 4MB data bundle would be used up in under 1 minute at full speed, so could prove expensive :)

Guest pd.ryder
Agreed- I have a standard Orange World 25 data contract, and can receive HSDPA where it's available.

Mind you a 4MB data bundle would be used up in under 1 minute at full speed, so could prove expensive :P

Yeah - she found that out the hard way ;)

Ended up with a bill twice the size it should have been :)

:D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.