Eten release Windows Mobile 6 upgrades for X500 / M700, shun T-Mobile / Virgin users AGAIN

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Metoo
The trial version of the T-Mobile fix won't go live and isn't available for others to use, they will of course make it available when it's 100%.

I've submitted more debugging data, and am waiting for an update (which i'll chase).

P

Any news on this? I've been offered an M700 at a good price but it's neither use nor ornament if it won't work on T-Mobile.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JulianL

Paul,

I'm 90% sure I know the answer on this :) but I'll ask anyhow. Did Eten ever get back to you re the debugging data you sent on the X500/T-Mobile GPRS issue?

I'm thinking of emailing Eten to at least let them know that the only thing stopping me going straight out and buying one of these is this issue. Is there any bug report number or name(s) that I could mention in such an email to identify the internal work that supposedly is going on to fix this so that Eten support would know it isn't a random request but that there is a specific known issue that I'm requesting status on?

- Julian

Guest Paul (MVP)

Despite repeated emails, they have basically stopped even replying, which I am VERY unhappy about.

I would have real issues with recommending an Eten device to anyone on the back of this.

P

Guest Metoo
Yeah... :)

P

Maybe it's time to start publishing the issue to a wider audience (the Register etc), given that this problem has existed for 3 generations of firmware (X500/M700 WM5, X500/M700 WM6, X500+, X800?)

Not that I expect any response, as many of the core issues with Eten hardware (e.g. poor RF on certain bands, low audio, lost power management and email settings, lousy camera) have never been addressed. Certainly I can relate many of the complaints in the X500/M700 sections of www.eten-users.eu to those we had with earlier M600 and G500.

Maybe that's out of our control, but what's more annoying, is that most of the UK vendors selling Eten devices fail to point out that it won't work with the most popular UK GPRS providor. In my book, that's bl**dy disgraceful, and one that should be redressed, if only to protect the UK consumer.

Edited by Metoo

Guest JulianL

Hmmm. Well, thanks for the update and the past efforts to push this forward. It's a shame because the Eten look really nice. A case of "nice device, shame about the company" I suppose.

At least things are becoming clearer for me. I'm 95% sure that my next device will be an HTC and I'm 75% sure that I'll wait for the Polaris when it comes out towards the end of this year although that wait is going to hurt.

- Julian

• 9 months later...
Guest schteev
Despite repeated emails, they have basically stopped even replying, which I am VERY unhappy about.

I would have real issues with recommending an Eten device to anyone on the back of this.

P

Hi Paul

Was there even an update on this?

I tried doing a forum search just now but i couildnt get to work.

I just bought a Pharos 600 off ebay (basically an Eten x500) and unfortuntely i didnt know that it wouldnt work with t-Mobile.

cheers

steve

Guest Metoo
Hi Paul

Was there even an update on this?

I tried doing a forum search just now but i couildnt get to work.

I just bought a Pharos 600 off ebay (basically an Eten x500) and unfortuntely i didnt know that it wouldnt work with t-Mobile.

cheers

steve

As you can tell from this thread, it was quietly forgotten about, and ignored by Eten. They never released a fix for the X500, X500+ or M700. So you won't be able to use data on T-Mobile UK.

http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/4wm-revie...600-review.html

The next generation (X800 etc) work was OK, presumably because they had a new radio for 3G.

Edited by Metoo

• 1 month later...
Guest plebb
Indeed, strange... :D

P

Hi, new to this site but already found some really helpful stuff.

I have inherited an Orange SPV M700 which I have unlocked to use a virgin sim card in.

I have managed to use the internet and wifi on this but can noy work ouy how to access emails or use MMS messaging.

Does anyone have any advice or is this just not available on Virgin?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest chucky.egg

@plebb

Welcome to the site

The forum you've posted in is for a different device called an M700. It's not a problem, but you're unlikely to get much device-specific help here. You'll be better off in the forum for your particular device:

http://www.modaco.com/category/252/htc-tri...ity-modaco-com/

Before you go though... You could try this link for the Virgin MMS and GPRS settings (can't vouch for it personally as I'm not on Virgin):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=238042

Guest plebb
@plebb

Welcome to the site

The forum you've posted in is for a different device called an M700. It's not a problem, but you're unlikely to get much device-specific help here. You'll be better off in the forum for your particular device:

http://www.modaco.com/category/252/htc-tri...ity-modaco-com/

Before you go though... You could try this link for the Virgin MMS and GPRS settings (can't vouch for it personally as I'm not on Virgin):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=238042

Much obliged, Tah.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.