BoyGenius unboxes the HTC Kaiser

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mikeeey
Hi Thanks for your great photos. I just wonder does the Kaiser's keyboard has a backlight and is it blue like its predecessors? Also I am wondering is the integrated 400MHz CPU in 7200 capable of matching the mainstream samsung or intel CPUs. Any views guys?

im not getting your question...what do you mean?

Guest cgcmd
im not getting your question...what do you mean?

275080765_42ec606a6b_o.jpg

1) Does the kaiser has keyboard backlight like 838 Pro (As above)? Is the backlight white or blue in colour?

2) I am a bit concerned about the CPU performance. Is the CPU able to match mainstream CPU like Intel or Samsung?

Guest mikeeey
275080765_42ec606a6b_o.jpg

1) Does the kaiser has keyboard backlight like 838 Pro (As above)? Is the backlight white or blue in colour?

2) I am a bit concerned about the CPU performance. Is the CPU able to match mainstream CPU like Intel or Samsung?

as far as CPU peformance im excited to see how it will be. i know that the qualcomm 7200 chip is one of of their best chips they have so far. u can read all about it's specs here:

http://www.cdmatech.com/products/msm7200_c...et_solution.jsp

it's much better than the intel graphics chip the dell axim devices used (as ive mentioned up above).

Guest mikeeey
here are some screen dumps :-) And a quick picture takn with the device, I will take some more and post.

hey xxnoelziexx im curious about this picture. actually the picture resolution. on pdadb it says the 3mp camera resolution is 1920x1440. however, it also says it has a 2.8mp camera. im just wondering why it says 1920x1440 and your picture is 2048 x 1536? maybe 2.8mp = 1920x1440 and 3.0mp = 2048 x 1536?

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Multiply those dimensions together and you get your answer :P

TBH upping megapixels makes little difference to image quality (you have to love it when you show someone your new camera phone, they take a pic at 3mpix or whatever and say "wow thats good" after looking at it on a qVGA screen :D). Its the lens and sensor quality that makes the difference, Carl Zeiss on the N-series phone from Nokia are a good start :rolleyes:

Guest mikeeey
Multiply those dimensions together and you get your answer :P

TBH upping megapixels makes little difference to image quality (you have to love it when you show someone your new camera phone, they take a pic at 3mpix or whatever and say "wow thats good" after looking at it on a qVGA screen :D). Its the lens and sensor quality that makes the difference, Carl Zeiss on the N-series phone from Nokia are a good start :rolleyes:

multiply which ones?

my question was i didnt understand why his resolution is bigger than what pdadb said it would be

Guest mikeeey
Because pdadb's info is wrong?

:rolleyes:

P

yea probably. i was just curious.

according to wikipedia,

3.1 Megapixels = 2048×1536

so the kaiser actually has a 3.1mp camera. :P

im happy to know a phone's camera is actually in the 2000's as far as resolution.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Sadly 'xxnoelziexx' seems to have disappeared, so the chances of me doing a preview are slim :rolleyes:

He was sending it to me, but...

:P

P

Guest Webreaper

I couldn't care less about seeing pictures and reading reviews of it. I'm bored of my XDA Mini S and just want to get my hands on a P4550 myself. :rolleyes:

Guest n20nine

Anyways, Paul, I believe you would be getting your hands on one pretty soon..hopefully..this is one device I am certainly looking forward to after being disappointed by the lack of 3G in the iPhone. Here is Malaysia, 3G is starting to take off pretty well and some carriers are even giving free 3G calls at certain times...Oh well, video calls are fun :rolleyes:

Anyway, an iPhone is an iPhone and a WM device is a WM device...but would also try the iPhone when they make a 3G version.

Over the recent weeks, with pictures of the Kaiser appearing on the net, i have grew more fond of this device. BGR's unboxing pictures were great. If I happen to find, more will share it here.

Meanwhile, again, I hope Paul gets one fast :P and our dear friend returns with more info and pics..

Cheers.

Guest mikeeey
"I'm bored of my XDA Mini S and just want to get my hands on a P4550 myself"

im sure that all of us in this topic are bored of our phones and want to get out hands on this.

the picture that was shown to us was nice but i also wanted 2 more pics that showed how it's close-up pics are and how well it takes pics in the dark (seriously, VGA motorola phone cameras take in more lighting than the htc cameras do)

Guest mandt

Couldn't agree more there, The Wizard's a great device, and I don't think the Hermes went far enough to succeed it.

Kaiser looks awesome, and I'll be buying one as soon as it's released!!

Guest mikeeey
Couldn't agree more there, The Wizard's a great device, and I don't think the Hermes went far enough to succeed it.

Kaiser looks awesome, and I'll be buying one as soon as it's released!!

but whats so great about the wizard? its just a standard pocket pc with a 200mhz processor, 1.3mp camera, and nothing special about it. in my book, anything with a higher camera and processor could beat it

Guest mandt

'What's so great about the Wizard'???

Yeah ok it's old now, but remember:

Great form factor that was an instant hit, and the fact that the Hermes and upcoming Kaiser follow it's form factor are a testament to the Wizard's great design.

It still is an enormously popular device and even now is still on sale.

The fact it 'only' has a 200Mhz processor doesn't hinder it at all, it runs very well and is quite stable, suffering few lock-ups.

All in all it still is a great device, and can easily hold it's own among newer competition, you might also ask 'What's so great about the Typhoon?' Like the Wizard it was also great and a device held in high regard by many Windows Mobile fans

Guest mikeeey
'What's so great about the Wizard'???

Yeah ok it's old now, but remember:

Great form factor that was an instant hit, and the fact that the Hermes and upcoming Kaiser follow it's form factor are a testament to the Wizard's great design.

It still is an enormously popular device and even now is still on sale.

The fact it 'only' has a 200Mhz processor doesn't hinder it at all, it runs very well and is quite stable, suffering few lock-ups.

All in all it still is a great device, and can easily hold it's own among newer competition, you might also ask 'What's so great about the Typhoon?' Like the Wizard it was also great and a device held in high regard by many Windows Mobile fans

yea i see what you mean.

only thing i dont like about the Typhoon or tornado is the joystick it has. it eventually goes bad and requires fixing.

im sure it will be very different going from a wizzard/tornado to a fast kaiser. i havnt got to experiance the joy of fast pocket pc.

Guest Malkatraz
but whats so great about the wizard? its just a standard pocket pc with a 200mhz processor, 1.3mp camera, and nothing special about it. in my book, anything with a higher camera and processor could beat it

I thought the OMAP processors kept up quite well with the Samsung and Intel (now Marvell) equivalents?? Clock speed itself doesn't mean much. Take nVidia's Goforce 6100 applications processor for instance (their first). It's clocked at 250mhz but you can bet your savings that it will blitz the 520mhz Marvell processors. I am expecting the same from the Kaisers 400Mhz MSM7200 processor.

I'll firstly say that at no stage will looks come into consideration when I buy a device. But the Kaiser, and for that matter, most other HTC devices, are not very visually appealing to me. So much plastic. So little elegance.

Have to say the specs are right up there on this device. Would have wished they included the SirfStar III (the new LT chip would have been great) GPS instead of the Qualcomm chip's onboard 'GPS'. Also an FM radio wouldn't have been bad. They are the only 2 other things I would want. They have stuck with QVGA which I'm not that disappointed with given the lack of support for 'True' VGA in the WM market.

Edited by Malkatraz

Guest Gerald.D
Does anyone else think that the press conference tomorrow could be related to the Kaiser?

Will Modaco be attending?

HTC Press Invite

Pocketlint seem to be implying that today's announcement is about the Elf.

It's going to be a major let-down if that's the case!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.