HTC reveals the P3450 'Touch' - and it's coming to Orange and T-Mobile!

Guest PaulOBrien

You can install HTC Phone Pad on the Touch. You can download the .cab by searching for "PhonePad.rar" on google. should be the second one.

Don't know if it's allowed to upload it directly here or post the direct url.

Screenshots from another user using Phone Pad on the touch:

21975288nx0.jpg

Looks good :rolleyes:

Included T9 Languages:

English

German

French

Italian

Spanish

Portuguese

Danish

Finnish

Norwegian

Swedish

Edited by lrbh

Guest mjt2810
You can install HTC Phone Pad on the Touch. You can download the .cab by searching for "PhonePad.rar" on google. should be the second one.

Don't know if it's allowed to upload it directly here or post the direct url.

Screenshots from another user using Phone Pad on the touch:

21975288nx0.jpg

Looks good :rolleyes:

EDITED: OK, should check google for advice on how to use RAR file types first!! Working now ...

M.

Edited by mjt2810

Fingerprints are an issue, but not enough to stop you buying the Touch!

I have 2Gb microSD in mine, no prob. Comes bundled with a 1G card anyway

Do you realise how small this device is? Totally different market from Trinity/Hermes/etc

Downloading is fast on GPRS (!) thanks to 6.0, but processor still a bit slow on occasion, such as when flipping between apps (but I am used to it as a regular smartphone user.... :rolleyes: )

I need to find a good text input solution for fast SMS (that is compatible with 6.0.....which spb says theirs is.....Tengo, still waiting for a reply.....). Going to look at the PhonePad too...

Guest jim.mason
Fingerprints are an issue, but not enough to stop you buying the Touch!

I have 2Gb microSD in mine, no prob. Comes bundled with a 1G card anyway

Do you realise how small this device is? Totally different market from Trinity/Hermes/etc

Downloading is fast on GPRS (!) thanks to 6.0, but processor still a bit slow on occasion, such as when flipping between apps (but I am used to it as a regular smartphone user.... :D )

I need to find a good text input solution for fast SMS (that is compatible with 6.0.....which spb says theirs is.....Tengo, still waiting for a reply.....). Going to look at the PhonePad too...

I've jsut put Tengo Thumb on my XDA Mini S to try before I order the Touch. Its really good, although it does take a while to get used to the input method. Bit surprising as I usually use the slide out keyboard so should know where all the keys are :rolleyes:

I'm now deciding on what contract/phone to take out with T Mobile, then flog the phone on Ebay so I can order the Touch :P

Cheers

Jim

Guest Paul (MVP)

Avoid the MDA Vario or Mail, a MDACIII doesn't have great resellability, your best bets are a Vario II, N95 or Ameo in that order i'd guess.

P

Guest jim.mason
Avoid the MDA Vario or Mail, a MDACIII doesn't have great resellability, your best bets are a Vario II, N95 or Ameo in that order i'd guess.

P

Cheers for that, just noticed on handtec.co.uk that the Touch is now £303.15 inc VAT so its getting cheaper by the day :rolleyes:

Guest psionara

Most of the pictures of the HTC Touch on HTC site and elsewhere seem to show a chrome/silver frame around the screen (not the band around the phone body) but all the videos I have seem don't seem to have this, which is right ?

The specs of this look just about right for my tastes, am keen to here from some actual owners before I buy.

Thanks

elf_101x111.jpg

Edited by psionara

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

I think that pic is just the odd lighting they've used, the grey area is the clear plastic cover over the front of the device...pretty sure it was black underneath!

Guest jsamuels

Received mine yesterday. The frame you mention is chrome and is the weakest part of an otherwise excellent build. Mine has a bit of wiggle in it. Tip: Remove the battery before you try to open the door to the SIM/Memory slot behind the chrome.

Most of the pictures of the HTC Touch on HTC site and elsewhere seem to show a chrome/silver frame around the screen (not the band around the phone body) but all the videos I have seem don't seem to have this, which is right ?

The specs of this look just about right for my tastes, am keen to here from some actual owners before I buy.

Thanks

elf_101x111.jpg

Guest vaughn89

Hey Paul

Do you know when your review will be ready for the HTC Touch?

Your reviews are great and although i've read a few others on the internet and watched on youtube and such, im trying my hardest to wait for your review before jumping in for the purchase!

I was initially scared by the 'keyboard issue' but it seems enough work arounds have surfaced for that not to be an issue anymore.

I currently have an MDA Vario, and have been looking at the Vox and now the Touch; i realise two quite different devices.

Some feedback on the Touch suggests that it is only a skin deep touch interface over the 'highly unusable by fingers and therefore stylus required' WM6 interface. Personally i rarely use the stylus on my Vario in preferance of using my finger [nail].

What i do wonder though is that, is there the possibility that either HTC (or perhaps a 3rd party) would be able to take the TouchFLO system in the Touch further, via software upgrades?

Cheers,

Vaughn

Guest psionara

I too am very interested in the Touch. In the dark ages I had a couple of Psions, my last a Revo and I loved those and happily emailed from around the world coupled with an infrared link to my mobile but finally had to “let them go” as the software syncing to newer versions of ms office did not cut it anymore. Had a Dell Axim X50v for a while, nice device with WiFi etc but WM 2003 not quite good enough, device quite large and when I got a very small notebook the Axim went to a good home and I used my RAZR just as a phone but there is a definite gap. I too was “looking” at the S710 but compromises forced by having WM6 Standard only made me delay.

Now the Touch, interesting, setting aside all the “touch” interface stuff it seems to me that it could be a very good WM6 Professional device, the size and apparent functionality looks like it might fit my sweet spot (between my small notebook and a phone), in fact with dimensions almost the same as the RAZR I lose nothing on that front but gain all the WM functionality. Lack of keyboard might be issue but as Vaughn89 says there are options. I don't really want to learn / use a new KB sytle (eg MessagEase) and the SPB "Full" Screen KB is too "Full" IMHO, does not leave enough (any) of the message visible, something that gave a "reasonable" sized software KB but still showed a bit of the actual document / message would be nice for finger / thumb text entry but serious text entry will probably always be a stylus job anyway and some of the videos show reasonable speed with the dictionary word completion features (which look a good deal better than WM2003). Any comments re text entry ?

One question then is if the software keyboards allow most phone functions to be done easily, some reviews suggest that the “finger input” recognition is actually quite smart and allows registration of finger presses for surprisingly small buttons.

Looking forward to Paul’s review and comments of other users.

regards & thanks

Edited by psionara

Guest vaughn89

For psionara: RE Text Entry

TenGO Thumb might be more what your after, i think that would be the solution most prefered by me also.

tengothumb_screenshot.gif

and we know already its a solution that works with the Touch:

Well, Tengo Thumb (http://www.tengo.net) works excellently on the Touch!

Free to Plus too of course :rolleyes:

P

- Vaughn

Guest psionara
For psionara: RE Text Entry

TenGO Thumb might be more what your after, i think that would be the solution most prefered by me also.

- Vaughn

Yes, could be an option, one drawback of 3rd party solutions (for text and also like "phonepad" above) is that they all end up having their own dictionaries for word completion and you end up adding the same words in numerious places (where adding is possible) therefore an OEM solution (either HTC or MS) is preferable (to me). If / when I get a Touch I will try the standard input methods for a while as they often grow on you and prove better than expected.

We will see I guess, thanks again

Guest GordonTGopher
I too am very interested in the Touch. In the dark ages I had a couple of Psions, my last a Revo and I loved those and happily emailed from around the world coupled with an infrared link to my mobile but finally had to “let them go” as the software syncing to newer versions of ms office did not cut it anymore.

I got into PDAs with a Psion 3C and still have my series 7 :rolleyes: You may find the HTC Kaiser of interest, from the photos the similarity to the Revo had struck me. We're still waiting for release dates / prices but the general opinion seems to be mid / late summer.

There are photos / videos linked in a couple of Kaiser news topics, search should find them.

Gordon

Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to modify the HTC Homeplug? I really like to use pocket breeze and it would be nice to have it in place of the weather for example..

Guest psionara

After looking at all the reviews around the net I decided that this one was for me and ordered from expansys, 6 days (UK > Oz, including a weekend) later I have it in my hot little hands and I can tell already that it is going to take some significant technological enhancements before this one is prised out of my fingers. It feels and looks VERY nice and so far there is nothing that is a problem for me. It is causing some envy around the office. I will post observations over in the HTC elf / touch forum.

:) :P ;)

Guest nickcornaglia
.... I can tell already that it is going to take some significant technological enhancements before this one is prised out of my fingers. It feels and looks VERY nice and so far there is nothing that is a problem for me. It is causing some envy around the office. I will post observations over in the HTC elf / touch forum.

:) :P ;)

Don't worry, it's Microsoft. Judging by the baby steps the've made since the 2002 OS thru 2006 OS...There wont be any significant tech advancements for a long time! :D

Guest Samuran
I'm now deciding on what contract/phone to take out with T Mobile, then flog the phone on Ebay so I can order the Touch :)

Cheers

Jim

Umm I realise this is off topic but be careful doing this as the phone that t-mob send you isnt actually yours to sell until you have completed the new term of your contract.

A friend of mine ordered an "unwanted upgrade" from ebay and about 2 weeks later it stoped working and a message appeared on the screen telling him the phone had been bared and to visit an orange store. He went into a local orange shop to ask what was on, they took the phone gave him back the sim card and told him to have a nice day....

I don't know if this happens often but he was told that after a new phone is sent out to a customer the network checks that the correct sim card is inserted and being used. If not.... lock down.

But it might just be that orange are c*ocks!

Cheers

Ben

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.