SPV E650 de-Brand + Fix Pack 0.5

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mstar

before i run this patch too (i take it i have to get the E650 application unlocked through that france orange website asking for INEM number) does this in anyway invalidate my orange mobile insurance :S does anyone know?

(p.s is that france telecom website safe? before i run pauls debranding fix etc)

Edited by mstar

Guest yorkshiretaff
It doesn't take that long, about 15 mins in my case.

P

Thanks Paul. I gave up in the end, went back to the webpage and re-entered my details but gave a different email addy. I clicked the download link rather than wait anymore.

Could you confirm that a "Clear Storage" returns the phone to Oranges default installation?

Cheers

Simon

Guest kennybay

Paul, does your fix speed up the general operation of the phone? I find myself regularly waiting for the phone to "catch up" with my key presses!

Thanks

Guest Mysterious Stranger
FINALLY, I would ask that if you find this pack useful (or indeed not), you reply in this topic. Doing so will make it easier for me to show Orange that they really should try and furnish MoDaCo with the devices they promise.

Ummm, just playing devil's advodate here, but rather than showing Orange that they should provide you with a device ASAP, surely the popularity of your de-brander to REMOVE all the orange customisation actually proves they SHOULDN'T send you one in a hurry?

Couldn't it cause them more support issues if people screw their devices? Doesn't it show how they've wasted their time and money developing a software ROM that you are modifying back to 'normal' after their own modifications?

In effect, your de-brander shows that Orange's software developers are numptys. And they're gonna be really keen on seeing that ;-)

Of course, I appreciate this debrander may well be needed and make the device stable with the orange rom, and I will be trying it when my e650 turns up, but by publishing it you are critiscising orange's software development team for making a buggy rom, and yet at the same time also criticisiing orange for not sending you a device quickly enough so that you can critiscise their buggy software.....

just my thoughts :rolleyes:

M.S

Guest paholman
Of course, I appreciate this debrander may well be needed and make the device stable with the orange rom, and I will be trying it when my e650 turns up

M.S

The Orange icon set and theme is just plain ugly, and hides the slick look and feel of a Windows Mobile 6 device.

You'll see why this de-brander is so good when you see the differences for yourself on your handset. It makes a huge difference

:rolleyes:

Ummm, just playing devil's advodate here, but rather than showing Orange that they should provide you with a device ASAP, surely the popularity of your de-brander to REMOVE all the orange customisation actually proves they SHOULDN'T send you one in a hurry?

I think it proves many users don't like the Orange customisations, and prefer to turn them off. Something Orange should consider when putting their Orange brand on their handsets.

Couldn't it cause them more support issues if people screw their devices? Doesn't it show how they've wasted their time and money developing a software ROM that you are modifying back to 'normal' after their own modifications?

Not intending to slate Orange Customer Services, but you get a lot more support on this Forum with any device issues, than you do from Orange.

Edited by paholman

Guest yorkshiretaff
Yes it does.

P

Thanks for that. Well I've "Cleared Storage", followed your instructions and it's worked. The phone is definately more responsive. I've installed my few extra appz with no problems (autoroute pocket streets 2006, memory-map 5 and regedit.Stngr). I noticed that you haven't included the Reminder sound fix, I just applied it as usual so not a problem. Just for info the only one I found to work is...

HKCU\ControlPanel\Sounds\Reminder

Change the string in Category from "Reminder" to "Alarm"

(some sites say "System" but I haven't tried this)

Thanks for a great patch.

Simon

Guest Mark Ludgate
I've decided to get ready for the patch, just in case. I've filled in all the details on the Orange France site for the unlocking CAB but was wondering how long it takes for the email to be sent. Any idea's as it's been a while?

Cheers

Simon

I got my unlock code link in about 2 hours

Mark

Guest bigfellahull

Hrm... Im still having problems installing apps. Still hanging after if installs sucessfully! I have to take the battery out and when I switch it back on, the program is installed fine. Anyone else having this problem?

Guest paholman

FINALLY !!!

I think I've found the cause of the problem :D .

After hard resetting, and reinstalling several times, it was a process of elimination.

One of the Applications that I install, "Virtual Pool Mobile", require I enter my Owner Information before I can register it, as the key is generated by Owner Info.

As a test, I did a hard reset, installed the Unlocker Tool, then the De-Brander, rebooted, and entered my Owner Information.

Tried an install, it hung.

I thought I'd found the cause, but removing my Owner Info, didn't fix the problem.

Then I realised. I turned off XT9 (predictive text) as I found this quite irritating being as this device comes with a keyboard.

This is the cause. Changing "Text Input" from XT9 to ABC causes the problem.

I confirmed this by doing another hard reset, install Unlocker, De-brand, reboot.

Installed an App (Card Cache), it worked fine.

Went into Text Message, new, changed XT9 to ABC, quit the message, tried another App, it hung (Spinning Wheel).

Rebooted, New text message, changed ABC back to XT9, quit the text.

Now tried to install an App, working again....

Can someone else please try this on their E650?

Install a CAB with XT9 enabled - Confirm cab install works fine

Install a CAB with ABC enabled - Confirm cab install hangs (Spinning Wheel)

I'm not a programmer so do not have the skills to create a fix for this. I tried searching registry keys, but found nothing obvious, but hopefully this information will help someone out there (Paul? :rolleyes: ) create a permanent fix.

Basically, using XT9 instead of "abc" as the default text input prevents the install hanging problem

A hard reset sets the Text Input to XT9 anyway.

:P

Edited by paholman

Guest moham_i
Hrm... Im still having problems installing apps. Still hanging after if installs sucessfully! I have to take the battery out and when I switch it back on, the program is installed fine. Anyone else having this problem?

Hard reset the phone. It solved the problem for me.

Guest moham_i
FINALLY !!!

I think I've found the cause of the problem :D .

After hard resetting, and reinstalling several times, it was a process of elimination.

One of the Applications that I install, "Virtual Pool Mobile", require I enter my Owner Information before I can register it, as the key is generated by Owner Info.

As a test, I did a hard reset, installed the Unlocker Tool, then the De-Brander, rebooted, and entered my Owner Information.

Tried an install, it hung.

I thought I'd found the cause, but removing my Owner Info, didn't fix the problem.

Then I realised. I turned off XT9 (predictive text) as I found this quite irritating being as this device comes with a keyboard.

This is the cause. Changing "Text Input" from XT9 to ABC causes the problem.

I confirmed this by doing another hard reset, install Unlocker, De-brand, reboot.

Installed an App (Card Cache), it worked fine.

Went into Text Message, new, changed XT9 to ABC, quit the message, tried another App, it hung (Spinning Wheel).

Rebooted, New text message, changed ABC back to XT9, quit the text.

Now tried to install an App, working again....

Can someone else please try this on their E650?

Install a CAB with XT9 enabled - Confirm cab install works fine

Install a CAB with ABC enabled - Confirm cab install hangs (Spinning Wheel)

I'm not a programmer so do not have the skills to create a fix for this. I tried searching registry keys, but found nothing obvious, but hopefully this information will help someone out there (Paul? :rolleyes: ) create a permanent fix.

Basically, using XT9 instead of "abc" as the default text input prevents the install hanging problem

:P

This is interesting....

All down to how the text input is?!

Edited by moham_i

Guest paholman

Yes, it's strange....did you try the two tests I listed to confirm:-

Try installing a CAB when XT9 is enabled - It will work

Try installing a CAB wne ABC is enabled - it will hang

I never noticed before, but using ABC instead of XT9 seems to cause other problems too. Sometimes the cursor is not in the text fields (text messages, registration fields, owner information etc) so cannot enter text unless the keyboard is out.... I've noticed that a few times.

Guest blowdart
Hmmmm.... something odd is going on. I've just checked the IMEI number on the box and also on the sticker on the back of the phone and when I check it on the phone itself I seem to have gained two extra digits (01) on the end. Is that even possible?

What it did do is remove the nice grouping of things; like all the accessories and things into the root menu; so for example quick notes, voic notes, speed dial, internet sharing, caculator, java (that's not a java icon! could we get the coffee cup perhaps?) etc are in the root.

It might be nice to keep those folders? (or if someone can detail what went in where, I'll manually recreate, heh)

Oh and is the currently selected background really a black box on the Vox? That's ugly!

Guest blowdart
This is interesting....

All down to how the text input is?!

I installed it with the keyboard open and ended up having to pull the battery

Guest Looby
Yes, it's strange....did you try the two tests I listed to confirm:-

Try installing a CAB when XT9 is enabled - It will work

Try installing a CAB wne ABC is enabled - it will hang

I never noticed before, but using ABC instead of XT9 seems to cause other problems too. Sometimes the cursor is not in the text fields (text messages, registration fields, owner information etc) so cannot enter text unless the keyboard is out.... I've noticed that a few times.

You're right :rolleyes:

Guest blowdart
OK, so i'm now comparing the input method versions / settings between the E650 and the S710!

P

Looking at that black "highlight" on the main menu shows that some of the standard vox icons change when rolled over (camera gets a flash for example) and some don't (comm manager for example gets it's black radio lines completly hidden by the black box, calculator has no changes at all)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.