Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Andy_S
Hi

These tiny camera's have auto focus but only a few zones, for example near, medium and infinite focus settings so there is no need for precise measurement of distance. The camera simply judges the best setting to use by analysing part of the image and chooses the setting that gives the sharpest reading.

I know how it usually works. What I'm saying is, that i've heard, that this camera is focusing via that ultrasonic gadget.

BTW i've never said precise :) If it will give me accuracy of 0.2m it will be enough.

Guest Andy_S
No idea exactly how it works, all I know is it's pretty damn effective :)

P

Can you please give us photo of uncovered rear part ? (best would be Cam & speaker area detail) THX

Edited by Andy_S

Guest mikeeey
No idea exactly how it works, all I know is it's pretty damn effective :)

P

paul would you say the kaiser's AF or the 8525's macro mode lets you take closer (and clearer) pics? i dont remember if you had already ansered this yet.

Guest mikeeey
Can you please give us photo of uncovered rear part ? (best would be Cam & speaker area) THX

you mean like these 2 pictures?:

kaiser31.jpg

kaiser30.jpg

Edited by mikeeey

Guest Andy_S
you mean like these 2 pictures?:

Thanks. Well, if i could say, either it have very good and loud speaker, or it is ultrasonic trx beneath that black grid.

I don't have any K near me (sob), so maybe dumb Question - When it rings, does it ring from that area, or does it ring via main speaker on the top of the front side?

Guest mikeeey
Thanks. Well, if i could say, either it have very good and loud speaker, or it is ultrasonic trx beneath that black grid.

I don't have any K near me (sob), so maybe dumb Question - When it rings, does it ring from that area, or does it ring via main speaker on the top of the front side?

i think all windows mobile devices ring from the loudspeaker. the speaker on the front is only for listening during GSM calls.

Guest bugeyes

Paul if you were to score a handset with marks out of 100, how would you score,

1. the touch

2. the kaiser

3. the vario 2

4. the trinity

i'll be getting one of these, but i cant make up my mind wether i'm going to wait any longer for the kaiser! :P :)

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

I know how it usually works. What I'm saying is, that i've heard, that this camera is focusing via that ultrasonic gadget.

BTW i've never said precise wink.gif If it will give me accuracy of 0.2m it will be enough.

There is no ultrasonic system as it doesn't need to measure any distance to focus the camera, it uses the actual image and calculates the focus setting required by measuring the contrast/sharpness of the picture which is how virtually all cameras work with auto focus. Where did you hear it had an ultrasonic system?

The grid, as others have pointed out is the speaker.

i think all windows mobile devices ring from the loudspeaker. the speaker on the front is only for listening during GSM calls.

Yes I think all modern phones use a separate speaker for ringing for health and safety reasons, i.e. it would not do your hearing much good if you had your ear to the front earpiece and it rang loudly! Plus a speaker can be better optimised for louder sounds, and the earpiece can be optimised for voice.

Regards

Phil

Guest Andy_S
Hi

Where did you hear it had an ultrasonic system?

The grid, as others have pointed out is the speaker.

Regards

Phil

I've saw it on some forum elsewhere... Don't know where, maybe in some tech specs, maybe on BGR... dunno...

Edited by Andy_S

Guest burrzoo

I just noticed that MobilePlanet raised their pre-order price $10.00 since 7/19. Was $869.95 and now it's $879.95...Creep, creep, creep. By the time it's released it could be over $1000.00! All of our excitement could help this along... :)

I'd still rather pay a higher price than be stuck in an AT&T contract for two years with a phone locked to AT&T and probably no front facing camera. It took me 3 months of arguments with Cingular (at the time) to get my Treo 650 unlocked. And I've been with them for almost 10 years! UGH! Great customer service....NOT!

Guest ilkhan

I haven't had a chance to read through this whole thread but had a question. can you flip up the screen without it being slid out? and/or slide out flip up and then slide closed again with the screen still up?

Seems like itd be off balance with the screen up while slid, is that true? How about a picture from opposite the screen with the flip up (looking at the flip mechanism)?

must be more patient....ME WANT!

Edited by ilkhan

Guest burrzoo
I haven't had a chance to read through this whole thread but had a question. can you flip up the screen without it being slid out? and/or slide out flip up and then slide closed again with the screen still up?

Seems like itd be off balance with the screen up while slid, is that true? How about a picture from opposite the screen with the flip up (looking at the flip mechanism)?

must be more patient....ME WANT!

It's a slide then tilt. Check out the very first page of this thread for some great pictures!

Guest ilkhan
It's a slide then tilt. Check out the very first page of this thread for some great pictures!

Congradulations. You did everything answer the actual question. Either one of them actually. I know you can tilt. The question wasn't "can you tilt" but "do you have to slide first?" If you can answer that one, please do.

And to add another question, Paul, have you heard anything about a CDMA version of this beautiful machine? suggestion: might want to edit the "this is the first release of..." in the review. Its not the first release anymore. Dates of updates would be nice. Either that or Im looking at an old version.

Edited by ilkhan

Guest burrzoo
Congradulations. You did everything answer the actual question. Either one of them actually. I know you can tilt. The question wasn't "can you tilt" but "do you have to slide first?" If you can answer that one, please do.

And to add another question, Paul, have you heard anything about a CDMA version of this beautiful machine? suggestion: might want to edit the "this is the first release of..." in the review. Its not the first release anymore. Dates of updates would be nice. Either that or Im looking at an old version.

Gee...thanks for being "so kind" in your response! I thought I had answered one of the questions..."it's SLIDE THEN tilt"...whatever..welcome to the discussion....

All other comments in the thread have nevered mentioned it being off-balanced when in the tilt position. Apparently it's excellent for viewing when in the tilt position...

Guest James Muir

It's no wonder so many people think that yanks are arseholes with responses like yours. Be grateful this forum exists and use a little respect. You'll catch more flies with honey...

Guest burrzoo
It's no wonder so many people think that yanks are arseholes with responses like yours. Be grateful this forum exists and use a little respect. You'll catch more flies with honey...

Much Appreciated response!

Sign me,

"Yank Gal"

Guest Shuflie

Have I missed something or did Paul update the first topic with more review information? Looks exactly as it did almost a month ago even down to the pre-release ROM that didn't do the GPS any good and the plastic back instead of the more finalised rubber back. He has added a few updates along the way in the topic but not actually in the first post which is the "the first release of the review". Oh, and as others have pointed out it is a slide then tilt, it even get a mention in the review the exact phrase being "After sliding the screen open, it can be tilted upwards" which I would read as you need to slide the screen open before you can tilt it.

Guest Kchrpm

The reality is that there are rude people of every nationality, race, age, sex, religion and any other group you may put them in. There are also exemplary people in those same groups. It's up to you to decide which ones to focus on.

Anyway, back on topic, there's alot of "information" going around about this phone but it seems like there isn't much official or new except for what Paul and others like him have been able to show us in these pre-production reviews, so I want to give many thanks. I'm holding out hope for a US release of the Kaiser on the AT&T network as I really don't want to leave AT&T (I've got 3400+ rollover minutes that I may need for my new job) and if I'm going to be sticking with them anyway I don't want to have to pay full price for a $800+ phone.

What I'm really most interested in finding out about now (other than release info, of course) is the new GUI that HTC is adding, especially that new today screen. I'm not specifically expecting Paul to show these things, just that the hardware specs seem pretty much set in stone and widely known, so the software is what I'm looking for the most info about when I go Googling.

- I want to see how it displays incoming calls and messages (my S710a spoils me, showing the name and a large picture of the contact, when available, for both; with the personalized ringtones, makes it easy to identify who's calling immediately in a multitude of situations)

- How many step does it take to send a text message and how many of those steps are taken out when replying

- Does it come with a full version of a good AIM/Yahoo/MSN/etc messaging software

- How much information can it show in the different tabs on the today screen. I really get annoyed by just seeing the number of tasks/messages on my Dell Axim, and the third party apps I've used have been hit or miss (I'm not paying for such simple functionality)

- Can the clock/tabs-dominated theme be switched for a big purty picture when I just want an old-school wallpaper + small text info look.

- Does it include a "hot female tech geek" detector so I can use my new cash expenditure to get dates.

Edited by Kchrpm

Guest mikeeey

paul,

when the screen is tilted up and you tap the screen with the stylus, does it just tilt back down? does the screen hold up well?

Guest frydryce

maybe we can do a search before asking questions that have been answered through reviews and others asking. At this point there are a lot of excited people waiting for this device. The least newbies can do when wondering something is to do a quick search or at least read a few pages. The knowlegable here have better things to do than answer the same question 10 different ways...like finding out new information for the rest of us!

This is one of the most tactful forums i've encountered. some of the repetitive questions from this thread would have gotten newbies flamed off the forum or a very harsh reply from veterans. both good and bad i suppose. there's a certain etiquette that should be followed for internet forums, its a shame that they are not followed by many.

Guest ilkhan
maybe we can do a search before asking questions that have been answered through reviews and others asking. At this point there are a lot of excited people waiting for this device. The least newbies can do when wondering something is to do a quick search or at least read a few pages. The knowlegable here have better things to do than answer the same question 10 different ways...like finding out new information for the rest of us!

Ive read or watched pretty much every review. yes, they say you can slide and tilt. None of them that I remember say you can *only* slide *then* tilt. Nor do any mention you cant slide it back afterwards. If that has been covered by somebody with a kaiser in their hands, please point me towards it so I can apologize. Otherwise, I shall wait for paul to chime in, since he actually has his hands on several of them.

regarding the front page review, paul has said he has been adding stuff to it. I haven't seen specific changes, so its possible hes just doing updates in here. If so, perhaps he could update the review with the newer rom builds.

Guest holybear

@ ilkhan:

Let me answer the question without having even held the device.

No, you can't tilt it before opening it, and you can't close it once tilted.

If you look at the pictures, the hinge is at the left-hand-side of the device, or if held after sliding it open, near the top.

It is physically impossible for that hinge to work without having the slide open.

If you tried to close it when tilted, you would be trying to push the screen-half through the keyboard-half.

Guest alfakilocharlie

Hi Paul and everyone :) . Was the picture of the Kaiser running TomTom removed? I can't seem to find it here.

Edited by alfakilocharlie

Guest ghaith_d
The reality is that there are rude people of every nationality, race, age, sex, religion and any other group you may put them in. There are also exemplary people in those same groups. It's up to you to decide which ones to focus on.

Anyway, back on topic, there's alot of "information" going around about this phone but it seems like there isn't much official or new except for what Paul and others like him have been able to show us in these pre-production reviews, so I want to give many thanks. I'm holding out hope for a US release of the Kaiser on the AT&T network as I really don't want to leave AT&T (I've got 3400+ rollover minutes that I may need for my new job) and if I'm going to be sticking with them anyway I don't want to have to pay full price for a $800+ phone.

What I'm really most interested in finding out about now (other than release info, of course) is the new GUI that HTC is adding, especially that new today screen. I'm not specifically expecting Paul to show these things, just that the hardware specs seem pretty much set in stone and widely known, so the software is what I'm looking for the most info about when I go Googling.

- I want to see how it displays incoming calls and messages (my S710a spoils me, showing the name and a large picture of the contact, when available, for both; with the personalized ringtones, makes it easy to identify who's calling immediately in a multitude of situations)

I think most PPC phones are like that, because i have a 6 year old Jam and it displays calls just like yours.

- How many step does it take to send a text message and how many of those steps are taken out when replying

- Does it come with a full version of a good AIM/Yahoo/MSN/etc messaging software

My Jam came with a full version of MSN, and like i mentioned b4, it's about 6 years old.

- How much information can it show in the different tabs on the today screen. I really get annoyed by just seeing the number of tasks/messages on my Dell Axim, and the third party apps I've used have been hit or miss (I'm not paying for such simple functionality)

There are 3 tabs, the first has time (but also includes missed calls and messages), the second is a weather plugin and the last is a list of 10 applications that you can configure so you can access them easier

- Can the clock/tabs-dominated theme be switched for a big purty picture when I just want an old-school wallpaper + small text info look.

Even though i dont have it, it probably is possible because you can use that today screen on any WM 6 phone, so i'm pretty sure they will allow u to take it off...i mean..it's probably some sort of 'theme' that you can just get rid of.

- Does it include a "hot female tech geek" detector so I can use my new cash expenditure to get dates.

Psh, if it did THAT, then I REALLY dont need any other phone for the rest of my life! lol

Hope that helped :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.