Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

@ ghaith_d

Yes I think it's true, because I also read on Sandisk website, that the new HTC Touch is also compatible SDHC, so why shouldn't the next upcoming one?

It's just sad that there is only for the moment a 4 GB micro SD SDHC...grgrgrgr perhaps it will come something new in between, but 4 GB is not a lot...if you take TT with some maps, you will not have after that a lot of place for music, film and other gadgets...

Guest Webreaper
With regards to preorders, it's looking like that orders placed via MoDaCo are likely to include a free add on pack including such goodies as MoDaCo CamerAware (fully tested and running schweet on the Kaiser), MoDaCo Ad Free (so you can hang out here and chat about your new toy!) and possibly 1 other item (still under negotiation).

Watch this space for a preorder link at the start of next week ;)

I'm watching... :P

Are you planning on doing just the handset on its own, or is there going to be any reduced-price handsets bundled with contracts? I want the Kaiser, but not enough to pay £400 for it up-front... :)

Guest GordonTGopher
I'm watching... :P

Are you planning on doing just the handset on its own, or is there going to be any reduced-price handsets bundled with contracts? I want the Kaiser, but not enough to pay £400 for it up-front... :)

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=833364 Paul says he's looking at a contract deal through the modaco shop.

Gordon

Guest badbandit

i am new to windows mobile, because the past years i used sony ericsson smartphones.

i would be really interested in seeing some more screenshots of the htc kaiser.

- are there more screens with htc custom design (others than camera- and today-screen)?

- how does the tomtom-screen look like (i did no find the mentioned screen in this thread and i already have tt navigator 6, which i could use)?

- can one change the color of the htc theme (black makes me sad - i would prefer silver or green)?

- how does the email-client look like?

it would be great, if we could see some more screens to help over the horrible time waiting for this device. thanks!

Guest ghaith_d
i am new to windows mobile, because the past years i used sony ericsson smartphones.

i would be really interested in seeing some more screenshots of the htc kaiser.

- are there more screens with htc custom design (others than camera- and today-screen)?

Dont understand what you mean, sorry =(

- how does the tomtom-screen look like (i did no find the mentioned screen in this thread and i already have tt navigator 6, which i could use)?

Look in google video, there is a guy with the HTC kaiser driving using tom tom 6

- can one change the color of the htc theme (black makes me sad - i would prefer silver or green)?

Yes

No idea

it would be great, if we could see some more screens to help over the horrible time waiting for this device. thanks!

- because other than the Today screen looks always the similar like on other WM phones it is not necesarry to publish. Search for http://youtube.com/watch?v=P41hoK-jX3I' at youtube to see it in work.

- TT can be used in landscape and in portrait mode. I'm using iGo Europe 2006 but no problem at any WM5 or WM6 phones, don't know TT works flawlessly but as Paul said: no problems, yet.

- probably there will be more HTC themes if not the WM has its own or you can do yourself like on other WM phones.

- very simple, like on Symbian (SE and Nokia) phones. There are some alternative apps you can buy.

Edited by Re-D

Guest badbandit

thanks for the replies. i already know the one or other thing, but i would really like to see some more screens and i am sure that there are thousends of other people, who would like to see more.

if i would be one of the chosen to have a htc kaiser, i would show every single screen...

Guest Webreaper
Paul says he's looking at a contract deal through the modaco shop.

Cool, thanks, missed that one - this thread is kinda hard to keep up with. :P

Paul, any chance you could set up a list and mail anyone who's interested once the deal's available? I'd like to keep up with this but it's kinda difficult as there's so much volume on this thread. :)

Guest all eyez on lou
Ive read or watched pretty much every review. yes, they say you can slide and tilt. None of them that I remember say you can *only* slide *then* tilt. Nor do any mention you cant slide it back afterwards. If that has been covered by somebody with a kaiser in their hands, please point me towards it so I can apologize. Otherwise, I shall wait for paul to chime in, since he actually has his hands on several of them.

regarding the front page review, paul has said he has been adding stuff to it. I haven't seen specific changes, so its possible hes just doing updates in here. If so, perhaps he could update the review with the newer rom builds.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OQgrUKbW9qs 3:35 into the video. am i too late? hheheh oh well

go yanks! not the yankees - i hate the ny yankees. but go americans! woo!

okay im done...

Edited by all eyez on lou

Guest Syphon Filter

I really want this device, but some of you may remember the problems I had with my first two TyTN units (I think I was one of the first to unbox a retail unit bought off the shelf on this forum). I think I am going to wait for a bit after the Kaiser lands and see if there any little "quirks" like those on the TyTN, silly stuff like screen alignment issues, backlight problems etc. I guess it's to be expected of a new device. So this time I am going to let someone else take their turn as a beta tester for HTC!! Then once things have settled down a bit and things appear kosher I think I will drop for one.

Guest gregersdk

I've talked to a contact of mine working for the danish parallel to Vodafone. He's a tester, and he have had he greasy hands on the Kaiser... And he says, it is filled with errors... So much, that they will not sell if HTC dosen't correct those errors soon.. I just hope they do... But he said about the same thing about the S710, and taht one came out...

I've talked to a contact of mine working for the danish parallel to Vodafone. He's a tester, and he have had he greasy hands on the Kaiser... And he says, it is filled with errors... So much, that they will not sell if HTC dosen't correct those errors soon.. I just hope they do... But he said about the same thing about the S710, and taht one came out...

Could you explain some errors, because at kaiser forums i couldn't figure out even one. I'm wondering then why Voda's selling Symbian phones because they also have many bugs. Don't forget that the SE P / Nokia N series are also have big mistakes and bugs but they are selling them. I wouldn't be surprised, if the voda's menu would chase for the device and don't foget that WM6 isn't the best OS of the World (if there is any).

But that's a good topic: what are the bugs in Kaiser? It can't be the first flawless WM Smartphone. So anybody who owns a kaiser (especially Paul) could explain some bugs even with the not-final-ROM?

Guest Kchrpm

Listing out bugs in a not-final-ROM is a very slippery slope. There's a reason that companies don't like to let the general public get their hands on early stuff and do alot of closed door/press only stuff.

People in general are sheep.

If Paul posted that the beta software crashed every time you did this or that, or that some feature wasn't fully realized yet, he runs the risk of getting digg'd/engadget'd/etc and becoming the face of the "oh teh n0ez, it's a piece of poo" news headlines that will rush across the internet like a virus. That's the kind of thing that gets you off the list of ever getting a preview unit again.

HTC should be given a fair chance to let previewers and beta testers find bugs and report them back to HTC so that they can fix them for the final release without the end consumer having to worry about it. Trust me, I've worked for an automotive supplier, I've seen first hand some "growing pains" that are totally fixed before production but would cause an uproar if it got caught up in an internet whirlwind.

When HTC says "this is it, this is what we're putting on shelves, have at it," then it's all fair game IMO, but not until then.

Guest gregersdk

I should might add, that I've heard him say that about almost every phone he ever tested... And the errors could be such as the PIE won't minimize while speaking through a headset.. It's hid job. forgive him.. And I haven't had the chance to ask for more specific details... I don't know if he can.. But I will definitely ask when the iPhine comes to europe...

Guest mikeeey

ive been looking at Sandisk.com. and i found where they talk about the 8gb microSDHC card. but i dont see anywhere to buy it yet, so is it not out yet?

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/PressRoom...se.aspx?ID=3868

and here i found the 4gbSDHC card, and anyone can buy it :):

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2369)...roSDHC_4GB.aspx

i have 1 question. whats the difference between MicroSD and Micro (M2)?

Edited by mikeeey

MicroSD = Most device accepts

Micro M2 = only for Sony devices

:)

If Paul posted that the beta software crashed every time you did this or that, or that some feature wasn't fully realized yet, he runs the risk of getting digg'd/engadget'd/etc and becoming the face of the "oh teh n0ez, it's a piece of poo" news headlines that will rush across the internet like a virus. That's the kind of thing that gets you off the list of ever getting a preview unit again.

Yes, you are right. I just didn't realised it.

Guest lozzd

They are pretty much the same its just that Sony like to make sure only their memory cards work in their devices unlike everyone else who share open formats such as SD/MiniSD/MicroSD :)

Guest ghaith_d
ive been looking at Sandisk.com. and i found where they talk about the 8gb microSDHC card. but i dont see anywhere to buy it yet, so is it not out yet?

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/PressRoom...se.aspx?ID=3868

and here i found the 4gbSDHC card, and anyone can buy it :) :

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2369)...roSDHC_4GB.aspx

Yeah the 4GB Micro SDHC cards are released, but the 6GB and the 8GB have not been released. Mind you the rumors are that they will be released by the end of this year (not confirmed of my knowledge, but i know sandisk said that they will be released soon)

Guest mikeeey
Yeah the 4GB Micro SDHC cards are released, but the 6GB and the 8GB have not been released. Mind you the rumors are that they will be released by the end of this year (not confirmed of my knowledge, but i know sandisk said that they will be released soon)

cool. i wonder if it will be the traditional $100 every time a new card comes out or how much they will charge for it.

btw is SDHC faster than Ultra II?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.