Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Shuflie
I've just read on one local (czech) forum that there is already Kaiser Dummy phone in T-Mobile shop! Yeah, it's coming !

Was that the HTC or T-Mobile variant?

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's all personal opinion of course but...

1. the touch

2. the kaiser

3. the vario 2

4. the trinity

Paul if you were to score a handset with marks out of 100, how would you score,

1. the touch

2. the kaiser

3. the vario 2

4. the trinity

i'll be getting one of these, but i cant make up my mind wether i'm going to wait any longer for the kaiser! :P :)

Guest Paul (MVP)
I haven't had a chance to read through this whole thread but had a question. can you flip up the screen without it being slid out? and/or slide out flip up and then slide closed again with the screen still up?

Seems like itd be off balance with the screen up while slid, is that true? How about a picture from opposite the screen with the flip up (looking at the flip mechanism)?

must be more patient....ME WANT!

You have to slide then tilt, balance isn't a problem as the bulk of the weight is in the base.

I've not heard anything about a CDMA version per se... the Mogul is pretty close really, so i'd expect a CDMA variant to innovate a bit more than the tilting screen and GPS.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

First topic update will happen as soon as I get the ROM i've been waiting on for quite a lil while now :)

If it doesn't materialise soon, i'll update at the end of this week.

P

Have I missed something or did Paul update the first topic with more review information? Looks exactly as it did almost a month ago even down to the pre-release ROM that didn't do the GPS any good and the plastic back instead of the more finalised rubber back. He has added a few updates along the way in the topic but not actually in the first post which is the "the first release of the review". Oh, and as others have pointed out it is a slide then tilt, it even get a mention in the review the exact phrase being "After sliding the screen open, it can be tilted upwards" which I would read as you need to slide the screen open before you can tilt it.

Guest Paul (MVP)

It holds up just fine :)

P

paul,

when the screen is tilted up and you tap the screen with the stylus, does it just tilt back down? does the screen hold up well?

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi Paul and everyone :) . Was the picture of the Kaiser running TomTom removed? I can't seem to find it here.

It wasn't, but somehow it got b0rked. I think I still have it somewhere, i'll check!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Current discussions are based around handset only, but there's no reason we can't include the Expansys contract bundles in the offer.

P

I'm watching... :P

Are you planning on doing just the handset on its own, or is there going to be any reduced-price handsets bundled with contracts? I want the Kaiser, but not enough to pay £400 for it up-front... :)

Guest Paul (MVP)
- are there more screens with htc custom design (others than camera- and today-screen)?

Er, the Comm Manager is skinned, that's pretty much it. The Today screen plugin is the most significant departure from HTC devices of old.

- how does the tomtom-screen look like (i did no find the mentioned screen in this thread and i already have tt navigator 6, which i could use)?

I'm using my copy of TT6.

- can one change the color of the htc theme (black makes me sad - i would prefer silver or green)?

Yup, you can make it whatever colour you like.

- how does the email-client look like?

It's the standard WM6 mail client.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
I really want this device, but some of you may remember the problems I had with my first two TyTN units (I think I was one of the first to unbox a retail unit bought off the shelf on this forum). I think I am going to wait for a bit after the Kaiser lands and see if there any little "quirks" like those on the TyTN, silly stuff like screen alignment issues, backlight problems etc. I guess it's to be expected of a new device. So this time I am going to let someone else take their turn as a beta tester for HTC!! Then once things have settled down a bit and things appear kosher I think I will drop for one.

It's reassuring to see that both the units i've had (and one was a prototype) are free of quality concerns.

Sure, there gets a bit of dust between the battery cover lens cover and the camera itself, but it's easily wiped by removing the battery cover. That's literally my only (very very minor) hardware complaint so far :)

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

It was full of errors... in early ROMs as you'd expect :)

It's very, very near to being ready now.

P

I've talked to a contact of mine working for the danish parallel to Vodafone. He's a tester, and he have had he greasy hands on the Kaiser... And he says, it is filled with errors... So much, that they will not sell if HTC dosen't correct those errors soon.. I just hope they do... But he said about the same thing about the S710, and taht one came out...

Guest steveoidm

Paul, any news from expansys on why it has been removed from the site? I have emailed them twice and got no response at all.

Steve

Guest Paul (MVP)

Interesting, just read on HoFo that the AT&T Kaiser could be called the 'AT&T Tilt'.

Discuss.... I kinda like it, but then I like the naming of the 'Wing' and 'Dash' by T-Mo too :)

P

I did ask, but didn't really get anything useful. I don't think there's anything sinister...

P

When roughly do you think it'll be released paul? (HTC model)

End of august?

Edited by J273

Guest Kchrpm

Tilt sounds ok with me, have to see about blocking out the "l" and getting a second one so I'll have my own nice set of...

Anyway, once you get some nice stable software, think you could download and play one of the standard def wmv's from GameTrailers.com? That's where I get a lot of my daily-watched media, so if it can play those back without stuttering I should be ok with its video capabilities. The Mogul I messed with at a Sprint Store was not happy at all playing back the trailer for Resident Evil 5. My 624 MHz Axim handles them (and even some 640x480 content) just fine, I'm not too keen on spending hundreds and losing capability in the process!

Edited by Kchrpm

Hi Paul,

I've read that Qualcomm GPS chipset seems to be less sensitive and accuracy compared to the SIRFstar III GPS chipset, that could be a problem when the conditions deteriorate. It was the case with HTC P3600. Do you know if latest Qualcomm chipset MSM7200 and last programs versions have improved sensitivity GPS on the Kaiser compared to the HTC P3600, and if it is now at same level as SIRFstar III ?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by tata

Guest mortenandersen

As the keyboard is very important for me, can someone tell me how large it is, for instance compared to the HTC S710 keyboard, or the Nokia E90 keyboard? The S710 keyboard is a bit to small for my liking, so I would like the Kaiser keyboard to be larger. If it is, how much larger is it? And is it comfortable to use with the indexfingers?

Guest mikeeey
Interesting, just read on HoFo that the AT&T Kaiser could be called the 'AT&T Tilt'.

Discuss.... I kinda like it, but then I like the naming of the 'Wing' and 'Dash' by T-Mo too :)

P

the tilt doesnt sound too bad, its a much easier name than 8925. im sure someone could remember than name better than a bunch of numbers as a phone name.

i found the topic on HowardForums:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...642#post9640642

aparently i dont know where the power button is on that forum cuz i only have 1 post lol.

Edited by mikeeey

Can someone please confirm that the Kaiser does not infact have miniUSB? I have read both, that it has miniUSB and that it has ExtUSB. Which is it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.