Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mikeeey
Can someone please confirm that the Kaiser does not infact have miniUSB? I have read both, that it has miniUSB and that it has ExtUSB. Which is it?

is ExtUSB the same size as miniUSB? all i know is that you can plug a mini usb cord in and it will fit lol

Guest Paul (MVP)

They keyboard is way better than the Vox but index fingers?

I can't think of a single thumboard I could actually use with index fingers (the clue is in the name!)...

P

As the keyboard is very important for me, can someone tell me how large it is, for instance compared to the HTC S710 keyboard, or the Nokia E90 keyboard? The S710 keyboard is a bit to small for my liking, so I would like the Kaiser keyboard to be larger. If it is, how much larger is it? And is it comfortable to use with the indexfingers?

Guest mikeeey

I can't think of a single thumboard I could actually use with index fingers (the clue is in the name!)...

P

yea i know especially trying to hold it in your hand using your index fingers lol. too hard..

Guest mikeeey

Paul which is better for taking close up pictures, the 8525's macro mode or the kaiser's AF. I know the 8525's macro mode was pretty good already. does the kaiser let you take even closer pics?

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul which is better for taking close up pictures, the 8525's macro mode or the kaiser's AF. I know the 8525's macro mode was pretty good already. does the kaiser let you take even closer pics?

Er, dunno, i've lent my Hermes to someone atm... but the Kaiser is excellent at close up pics.

P

Guest Fasten
Hi Paul,

I've read that Qualcomm GPS chipset seems to be less sensitive and accuracy compared to the SIRFstar III GPS chipset, that could be a problem when the conditions deteriorate. It was the case with HTC P3600. Do you know if latest Qualcomm chipset MSM7200 and last programs versions have improved sensitivity GPS on the Kaiser compared to the HTC P3600, and if it is now at same level as SIRFstar III ?

Thanks a lot!

Question Paul, can you tell us something about how fast you get a fix on the sattelites. For example on the N95 at first it took on average several minutes to get a fix, when they updated the fw and supported A-GPS the fix time reduced to 10-20 secs. So my next question is if the software on the Kaiser supports A-GPS, or does this depend on the navigator software (I'm not familiar with navigator software, sorry!).

Guest Paul (MVP)
Question Paul, can you tell us something about how fast you get a fix on the sattelites. For example on the N95 at first it took on average several minutes to get a fix, when they updated the fw and supported A-GPS the fix time reduced to 10-20 secs. So my next question is if the software on the Kaiser supports A-GPS, or does this depend on the navigator software (I'm not familiar with navigator software, sorry!).

It depends on how long since I last used the device, and whether the ephemeris is up to date using QuickGPS (A-GPS). It also depends on my environment of course!

I can generally getting a fix well within 20 seconds in ideal conditions.

P

Guest fubar13

Paul. Question about new TouchFloEsque interface on Kaiser - Is it possible to navigate trough today screen tabs without finger/stylus.

I mean if you are familiar with SPB Diary product on older WM2003 devices then you know you can use all today screen functions via buttons with single hand. Is it possible with Kaiser?

I hate fingerprints on screen ...

Edited by fubar13

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul. Question about new TouchFloEsque interface on Kaiser - Is it possible to navigate trough today screen tabs without finger/stylus.

I mean if you are familiar with SPB Diary product on older WM2003 devices then you know you can use all today screen functions via buttons with single hand. Is it possible weth Kaiser?

I hate fingerprints on screen ...

Yes it is.

P

Guest Andy_S

Hi, i have official answer from TMO in Czech Republic

Yes, it's true, we'll have T-Mobile MDA Vario III in our shops at the end of october.

October? What the fun... I hope that original HTC will be earlier...

Guest mortenandersen

P

Thanks so much for the answer! I see your point, and using the unit when walking or standing, for instance, I also can see that using the thumbs can be more convenient. On the other hand, I really often have the phone "standing" in front of me on a table/desk and am sitting in front of it. Then I feel it more naturally for me to TRY and use me index fingers and some of the other fingers than the thumbs. So, what I really would like to know, is how suitable is the Kaiser for this kind of use?

When you say that the Kaiser keyboard is way better, that's very good news. Hope that means that the separate keys are larger and that the keyboard as a whole is larger, and that the "feel" of pressing the keys give good feedback whether you have typed a letter or not.

Could you please elaborate a bit on these issues?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Oh yeah, sitting on the table 'tilted', that's about the only way you could use it... index fingers and I actually use my middle fingers too.

The keys are larger, the whole keyboard is larger and the layout is far closer to what you'd be used to.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Thought i'd take a couple of pics of TT6 on the Kaiser. Below are pics of portrait and landscape mode, both taken in my home office where it took about 30 secs to get a fix.

P

01-Aug-2007_tomtomlandscape.jpg

01-Aug-2007_tomtomportrait.jpg

Guest Paul (MVP)

Here's a pic of the back (rubberised!) showing dust on the camera. Below is a picture of the back removed, so you can see why - dust gets between the camera on the device itself and the clear plastic on the back cover. Easily cleaned, but a little bit of a pain (pic taken about a day after it's last clean, and I'm not in a particularly dusty environment.)

P

01-Aug-2007_dustycam1.jpg

01-Aug-2007_dustycam2.jpg

Guest Incendiary
Any pic requests while i'm in a pic taking mood? :)

How about something with motion? Say, a moving car? (assuming you can be arsed to go outside!)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.