Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

BTW, i've found THE best application for the tilt mechanism... Slingplayer :P

I sat in the garden with the device on the patio table last night, tilted, and had the TV on :)

P

Guest mortenandersen

Thanks Paul for (getting and) sharing so much info with us! I also am interested in how convenient the (whole) keyboard is to use when the screen part is tilting. I have seen that some find it difficult to reach and press the softkeys with the thumbs then. Would you say this is problematic when using your index and middle fingers, with the phone on a table in front of you? And: Have you compared the useability of the keyboard with Nokia E90?

Edited by mortenandersen

It can be used flat of course :)

I use it like that 90% of the time, and only tilt in particular scenarios.

P

OK, if not too much trouble, can you post up some pics in flat mode :P

Guest Troxelke

Hey Paul,

First of all, thanks for all the info you already gave in this tread (36 pages... going SO fast here ... whoooo!!!). Also thanks for the pictures I requested about the tomtom working, looks sweet! However, I have one (maybe a bit silly) question: I see on several websites where you can pre order the Kaiser that they are going to sell two versions (like on Expansys):

- "P4550 EU english", see HERE

- "P4550 DE", see HERE

I guess the difference between EU and DE is the QWERTY or QWERTZ keyboard... but what I would like to know: Is in the "EU english" version (that you probably have) an option to set the language to any european language (especially about the DUTCH language, because I will set it to that of course... :P or is the only language English? So, do I really have to wait for the "EU dutch" version, or can I buy the "EU english" version and set the language to Dutch (where the only downside is that the manual will be in english I guess)...? :)

Thanks for the answer ;)

Roy.

Edited by Troxelke

Guest xricex

lol people are already selling the kaiser on ebay and one even says locked to tmobile sellling for $1290 cdn

which is $599.99 GBP

Edited by xricex

Guest badbandit

it seems, like i have to get the se p1 before my hollidays (starting september the 7th). i want to have something to play arround with and the p1 seems to be quite small (in comparison with the kaiser and p990).

i really would like to try a wm6 phone, but the kaiser seems to be as bulky as the p990 and there is still to much time left, till it we be released...

Guest Paul (MVP)

The soft keys are a bit fiddly, but nothing too bad. I sometimes find myself using the soft keys below the screen when in tilted mode tho :)

I don't have an E90 to compare.

P

Thanks Paul for (getting and) sharing so much info with us! I also am interested in how convenient the (whole) keyboard is to use when the screen part is tilting. I have seen that some find it difficult to reach and press the softkeys with the thumbs then. Would you say this is problematic when using your index and middle fingers, with the phone on a table in front of you? And: Have you compared the useability of the keyboard with Nokia E90?

lol people are already selling the kaiser on ebay and one even says locked to tmobile sellling for $1290 cdn

which is $599.99 GBP

they should be a very early versions because even no HTC logo they have like the newer pre-productions have.

Guest mortenandersen
The soft keys are a bit fiddly, but nothing too bad. I sometimes find myself using the soft keys below the screen when in tilted mode tho :)

I don't have an E90 to compare.

P

Thanks so much again for sharing your experiences! This phone really looks like a beauty!

I understand you in such a way that it is easier to hit/press the softkeys with the index finger than the thumb - have I understood you right?

Another issue of importance for me: The week planner Calendar view - can the time slots be changed? If not, do you know of some 3rd party calendar software where this is a possibility? And also where the appointments can be shown in different colors, chosen by yourself?

It's difficult to wait for this beauty!

Edited by mortenandersen

Guest mikeeey

paul do you still have your C600? or just any smartphone? perhaps a wizzard would work too.

I thought it would be neat to see the comparison of a low light picture taken with an older phone (which has worse low-light filtering) and the same picture taken with the kaiser, just to see how much better the camera is.

Guest burrzoo

Does anyone know if Windows Live Messenger is part of WM6 and if so, have you used it to connect to Yahoo IM? Is it full featured? Is there a much better and/or more robust IM client for WM6 that you would recommend? Any free IM software out there?

Guest ghaith_d

Um guys...im really afraid about the Kaiser being able to accept Micro SDHC cards because in these high res shots (Pics) the slot does not have the Micro SDHC label on it and i do not want to buy a 4gb card and have it being useless. Can ANYONE fully confirm somehow that it uses micro SDHC cards?

thanks!

Can ANYONE fully confirm somehow that it uses micro SDHC cards?

Please read the forum before asking questions. Your answer can be found on the first page of this topic at the post #8 and later you 'd find answers again, again and again, because nobody want to beleive it. SDHC is not a legend but a feature of Kaiser. :)

IMHO if other, new HTC models support the card then Kaiser why wouldn't? By the way you can not see on the pictures that it's mentioned the SDIO logo so in this case it won't accept SDIO cards? ouch...

Guest Paul (MVP)

That's right, yeah.

How do you mean change the timeslots exactly?

P

Thanks so much again for sharing your experiences! This phone really looks like a beauty!

I understand you in such a way that it is easier to hit/press the softkeys with the index finger than the thumb - have I understood you right?

Another issue of importance for me: The week planner Calendar view - can the time slots be changed? If not, do you know of some 3rd party calendar software where this is a possibility? And also where the appointments can be shown in different colors, chosen by yourself?

It's difficult to wait for this beauty!

Guest Paul (MVP)

I do, i'll take a shot with the C600 later. Maybe with my EOS 350D too, just for fun :)

P

paul do you still have your C600? or just any smartphone? perhaps a wizzard would work too.

I thought it would be neat to see the comparison of a low light picture taken with an older phone (which has worse low-light filtering) and the same picture taken with the kaiser, just to see how much better the camera is.

Guest Paul (MVP)

It is, I haven't used it to connect to Yahoo IM tho. As a client itself, it is very full featured.

P

Does anyone know if Windows Live Messenger is part of WM6 and if so, have you used it to connect to Yahoo IM? Is it full featured? Is there a much better and/or more robust IM client for WM6 that you would recommend? Any free IM software out there?

Guest Le Chiffres

Hi Paul,

Will you start a new thread once the kaiser is realesed? so that we can discuss the kaiser in details and share user experiences and tweaks. i think that will be a useful source for information concerning the Kaiser.

Cheers

:)

Guest mortenandersen
That's right, yeah.

How do you mean change the timeslots exactly?

P

I mean two things, actually: Can you decide and pinpoint a start and stop time for the day on the week planning calendar? And: Can you decide and pinpoint how many hours (e.g. 1 or 2) there shall be for each time slot during the day? And when these entries are shown, can the view show different colors, that is, you have chosen different colors for different kinds of tasks or appointments (entries). This is very practical, especially for planning purposes. If this is not a built-in possibility, do you know of some 3rd party Calendar app that offers this possibility?

M

Edited by mortenandersen

Guest Michel Offringa

Hello,

As a new person on this site I have one question about the Kaiser (for now).

Are the 65,000 colors enough to be able to view Internet pages, the Calendar etc. real clear ?

Because almost all new smartphones have at least 260,000 colors.

Thank you.

Guest Paul (MVP)

There is a Kaiser forum already - http://Kaiser.MoDaCo.com -for such things :)

P

Hi Paul,

Will you start a new thread once the kaiser is realesed? so that we can discuss the kaiser in details and share user experiences and tweaks. i think that will be a useful source for information concerning the Kaiser.

Cheers

Guest Paul (MVP)

Er, yes, 65,000 colours is absolutely fine :)

P

Hello,

As a new person on this site I have one question about the Kaiser (for now).

Are the 65,000 colors enough to be able to view Internet pages, the Calendar etc. real clear ?

Because almost all new smartphones have at least 260,000 colors.

Thank you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.