Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

lol,

Expansys are still showing over a 100 units in stock.

Went for the MoDaCo 'goodies' deal, too good not to snap up imho :wub:

All credit to Expansys, site already showing my order as shipped ;)

Guest Syphon Filter

Question that possibly hasnt been asked:

When using the Kaiser in your car, as a GPS unit running TomTom, and CamerAware (I assume these two applications can both be run at the sametime).

What happens whena call comes in? Do TomTom and CamerAware continue to run in the background? Is it easy to take calls in this scenario?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Er, not really had this happen, but theoretically they should yeah, so long as lack of memory / CPU or something doesn't cause it to all fall in a heap.

P

Guest Chrome Blade

Last question before i order the TyTn II.

Went to AT&T today to make sure me getting the phone and swapping sim cards would work fine.

According to the AT&T rep said that for me to get all the cool pda stuff the phone is capable of I have to wipe the HTC Rom and get thier's or else wouldn't be able to connect to thier towers due to security.

Was wondering if this was true because if i wipe the HTC Rom wouldnt that also wipe all the cool HTC stuff like the home screen and windows live and stuff also get wipe?

Guest bignaz2k
so i should get internet service and all that good stuff with the HTC Rom?

You'll have to manually set up a couple of settings on the phone, but itll take you a few minutes at most to configure wireless data.  Only thing you MAY miss, is all the crapware that comes in the AT&T rom, which may not be available outside of that rom if you want to subscribe to them (I am not entirely positive about this, maybe you can download those programs and install them separately - I don't care to find out, since they are all pretty bad, and have high subscription prices).

Guest Chrome Blade
Is it even POSSIBLE to wipe the HTC ROM and load the AT&T ROM when available and, if so, HOW?

Tony

I dunno the AT&T rep said i had to could tech support and they would walk me through it. He also said he had to do it on his nokia and mentioned that he wasn't all that tech savy.

It really doesn't make sense if you ask me thought because everytime i went to a different country i would have to wipe the ROM to make it work with the new service provider.

Edited by Chrome Blade

Guest Chrome Blade
You'll have to manually set up a couple of settings on the phone, but itll take you a few minutes at most to configure wireless data. Only thing you MAY miss, is all the crapware that comes in the AT&T rom, which may not be available outside of that rom if you want to subscribe to them (I am not entirely positive about this, maybe you can download those programs and install them separately - I don't care to find out, since they are all pretty bad, and have high subscription prices).

So i can change the settings and still keep HTC goodness. Sweet becuase all the malware at&t puts on thier phone is another reason i want to go with HTC branded phone. Anyways i guess ill order it when i get home since i doubt prices are going to drop.

Guest mikeeey
The hype for the iPhone was MUCH bigger than this, but obviously only in the US.

ah the hype for the iPhone was just stupid. people didnt even know why they wanted it, they only wanted it cuz it was slim and made by apple. i hate that. people thought they were getting gps and many other things the device didnt have.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest mikeeey
Last question before i order the TyTn II.

Went to AT&T today to make sure me getting the phone and swapping sim cards would work fine.

According to the AT&T rep said that for me to get all the cool pda stuff the phone is capable of I have to wipe the HTC Rom and get thier's or else wouldn't be able to connect to thier towers due to security.

Was wondering if this was true because if i wipe the HTC Rom wouldnt that also wipe all the cool HTC stuff like the home screen and windows live and stuff also get wipe?

i wonder what would happen if i brought my unlocked t-mobile sda with wm6 into the AT&T store what rom they would tell me i would need lol.

Guest Joannah

I'm sure you've been asked this a lot but.. If I were to get my phone off of ebay and it's unlocked (I'm in the US) will I be able to just take it to t-mobile and get their internet services etc and just put my sim card in the phone?

Guest bignaz2k
I'm sure you've been asked this a lot but.. If I were to get my phone off of ebay and it's unlocked (I'm in the US) will I be able to just take it to t-mobile and get their internet services etc and just put my sim card in the phone?

Pretty much the same deal as I said earlier to Chrome Blade.  T-Mobile might be a bit more helpful than other providers (they have great customer service) and help set everything up for you, but if not, you can just pop your T-Mobile SIM card in, and set up the GPRS settings (you can find them online) by yourself.  But remember, you will be limited to GPRS/EDGE, since there is not 3G data on T-Mobile yet (and will be on a Kaiser unsupported frequency when it is).

Guest Joannah
Pretty much the same deal as I said earlier to Chrome Blade. T-Mobile might be a bit more helpful than other providers (they have great customer service) and help set everything up for you, but if not, you can just pop your T-Mobile SIM card in, and set up the GPRS settings (you can find them online) by yourself. But remember, you will be limited to GPRS/EDGE, since there is not 3G data on T-Mobile yet (and will be on a Kaiser unsupported frequency when it is).

Sweet. Thank you so much for your help =]

Sweet. Thank you so much for your help =]

I believe you find a .cab file at http://forum.xda-developers.com/ with T-Mobile settings. This should apply to other providers.

The Kaiser must be exactly like other HTC PPC phones. I have a HTC Wizard that I bought from T-mobile US. I've flashed a Qtek Rom and used it for a year with a Brazilian SIM card (mainly), and the T-mobile US SIM card. Then I moved to WM 6 and have used the above mentioned SIM cards, plus TIM Italia and Voda Spain with no issues at all. I haven't set up GPRS/EDGE connections in all of these countries, but have done it and things worked normally.

Only issue was that a few preset functions of the SIM from the Brazilian phone provider (like adding a prefix for every call out) didn't seem to be compatible with WM6, which isn't likely to be an issue becuase your provider may have other WM 6 phones and they will make them compatible if that's the case, which was not the case in Brazil where PPC Phones are yet a novelty, almost a tech nerd thing.

Also, flashing different ROMs is very easy. at XDA and here I guess there should be plenty explanation on how to do so (and system requirements such as CID/SIM unlock etc.). One caveat is that you may lose warranty.

I believe this should be correct, but if there is any mistake or incongruency somebody pls corrects. I'm no big expert, but I hope this helps.

Just a note that for the USA orders, Mobileplant.com is now saying that it won't be available until September 16. This morning they had said it was available in 2 days (this Thursday). I don't know if that means some pre-orders will be shipped this Thursday and that they ran out of what WILL be available then, or if this applies to all orders.

Tony

Guest burrzoo
i wonder what would happen if i brought my unlocked t-mobile sda with wm6 into the AT&T store what rom they would tell me i would need lol.

Mikeeey,

You are TOO FUNNY! This is soooooo true!! They always give me a bunch of BS. Every once in awhile you do get some tech-saavy person who doesn't try and snow you. Other than that, GOOD LUCK! I can certainly live without the "bloatware" and still use the phone on the AT&T network. I hope that my TyTn II gets shipped this Thursday. I'm so jealous with all these "Been Shipped"notices!

Guest NuShrike
Just a note that for the USA orders, Mobileplant.com is now saying that it won't be available until September 16. This morning they had said it was available in 2 days (this Thursday).
Wow! I'm glad I canceled my orders with mobileplanet now.

Besides the fact that they don't really advertise that they charge tax for certain states, and never follow up on that "sign up for notification of price/status changes."

Guest mcq3000

is it still available on www.expansys.com? they show 67 left. Is this accurate or they just have not updated stock because I do not want to order if they do not actually have any in stock right now

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.