Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Chrome Blade
AT&T's version won't have the sexy plugin... and will be available with and without cameras.

No confirmation yet on whether the camera'd version includes the front camera this time (unlike the 8525), but now they've launched their 'not quite video calling' 'Video Sharing' service, I imagine it will!

P

But I take it there not going to cripple the phone's features like say the GPS.

Should I just get the HTC Brand if its $200 more, I have this really bad habit of paying more for the best even if its just the smallest features.

Paid $180 more just to get a black xbox 360 when I already had one.

BTW what's the sexy plugin?

Guest Chrome Blade
By sexy plugin I mean the nice today screen plugin that has all the tabs etc.

P

see that one of those small stupid features that I would pay extra money to have...

Guest Paul (MVP)

:)

You mean you won't pay extra to remove the carrier branding and the SIM lock? :P

We've yet to see a Tilt, so we don't know if it's the HTC (curvy pad) variant, or the T-Mo Vario III like squared pad variant (more like the TyTN).

P

Guest mikeeey
By sexy plugin I mean the nice today screen plugin that has all the tabs etc.

P

but we can get it here from modaco...right?

that homescreen was awesome, i sure hope wel be able to get it.

Guest Sirox
Hi, this is my first post here, although I am not at all a newbie on PDA phones. I have had many different devices, including Magician, Tytn, and many iterations of Treos, and Symbian devices.

I have a question for Paul and the other WM6 experts.

What has always bothered me of Windows Mobile 5 (and earlier) in comparison to Symbian phones is the implementation of WiFi. What I mean is that in Symbian you can create various access points, and they can be GPRS/3G or WiFi with no difference in usage. Hence, an email program or any other program can be configured to use a WiFi access point, or a 3G access point, all automatically. And in many cases, apps can try WiFi first and then go with 3G if that fails.

With WM on the other hand, it always comes to having to switch WiFi on "MANUALLY", and the really irritating thing is that WiFi always switches itself off when the device goes in standby. By doing so, email checks will automatically use 3G (as WiFi won't be ready), and VoIP use is impossible, as WiFi is disconnected when the phone goes in standby, hence it cannot receive calls.

On Nokia smartphones, on the other hand, VoIP can be left always on (using WiFi). And the interesting thing is that a Nokia phone can have VoIP active on WiFi for the whole day, and still be very good on battery levels at the end of the day. While with WM devices, WiFi wil completely drain the battery after an hour or two.

:)

Now the question is: has all this changed with WM6? Meaning, can WiFi work in standby, and can Outlook Mobile perform email checks using WiFi (waking up from standby)? And can the device automatically try your WiFi access point, and then fall back to 3G if that is missing?

Thanks! :P

WiFi is still disconnected when device is in standby.

P

If this was the case, I do not understand how VoIP would work, considering that Microsoft has embedded Voice Over IP natively into WM6.

On some Portege G900 forums (WM6 too) I have also read of some settings that enable WiFi during standby, and I have even read of people having the G900 trying WiFi first, and then GPRS for push email connections.

Would you be so kind to double check all the connectivity settings?

Thanks! ;)

Guest Boudewijn_
Elsewhere, it's perhaps a little disappointing that the HTC P4550 remains powered by the same 400MHz Samsung processor as the original TyTN, but this does at least seem to keep things running at a reasonable lick.

Eh? :)

Yeah Boudewijn_ it's a pity, the author has quiet no idea what he wrote, I just send the editor in chief a comment...

He wrote, both model has the same processor, no idea, if I can read it correctly, there is to kind of processor, the old one, the samsung and the new one, the qualcomm, who is doing quiet everything, so

for me writing such a review and making such a mistake, is very very low level!

Page 3:

"Elsewhere, it's perhaps a little disappointing that the HTC P4550 remains powered by the _same 400MHz Samsung processor as the original TyTN_, but this does at least seem to keep things running at a reasonable lick."

hein???

No Idea the Jonathan, but nice picture ;-)

Anyway, I think they will correct the mistake after reading my mail...

CU

Y@nn :)

Edited by Y@nn

Guest Chrome Blade

Sweet Review even if he did make that small mistake... not like he said it was slow though.

Anyways quick question...

If those of us in the states do get the HTC branded phone and use it AT&T or T-Mobile wouldn't a software update through AT&T/T-Mobile override whatever software HTC had preinstalled: like the sexy plugin?

Like if WM7 where to come out in february of next year and i had to update the phone to get it AT&T's rom would override HTC's Rom....right???

Edited by Chrome Blade

Guest clarkster
If those of us in the states do get the HTC branded phone and use it AT&T or T-Mobile wouldn't a software update through AT&T/T-Mobile override whatever software HTC had preinstalled: like the sexy plugin?

Like if WM7 where to come out in february of next year and i had to update the phone to get it AT&T's rom would override HTC's Rom....right???

Why would you use the branded ROM when HTC does eventually release their own ROM updates??

Apart from the fact that HTC is a bit slower than the carriers because they're working on the next best thing.

Guest Chrome Blade
Why would you use the branded ROM when HTC does eventually release their own ROM updates??

Apart from the fact that HTC is a bit slower than the carriers because they're working on the next best thing.

So how would I go about getting HTC ROM updates in the states?

Guest Michel Offringa

Hi Paul,

How is the handsfree function on the Kaiser ? Can you make a handsfree call with the phone on the desk (for instance on the charging cradle) so that you hear the person yuo talk to loud and clarly and he/she heres you too very well ? Or even in the car in a holder ?

This because I will use the handsfree function pretty much I think.

Thank you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.