The official 'I got my TyTN II thread'

Guest PaulOBrien

I received my TyTnII yesterday from Handtec having oredered it on Monday and the seal on the box was also slit and although there were two CDs in the box, neither included TomTom, in particular the additional applications CD with Sprite, etc did not do so. I notice Handtec has just reduced the price by £25 since I bought it - now £440 with free delivery. I will also ring Handtec tomorrow to ask what happened to the TomTom software - as they say on the website for the phone currently:

I've bought mine from handtec in the very first release (for £470 - now it's going so cheap!), and I've got TomTom. :-o

I've bought mine from handtec in the very first release (for £470 - now it's going so cheap!), and I've got TomTom. :-o

You can get the TomTom full version UK & IRE + Navigator 6 (inc with map) for just £49. The "taster" version is a bit rubbish.

In fact the full Western Europe street level map is on sale for £59.99 currently. Don't think that will last though, Christmas is coming up!

Chris

Guest xorangefirex

I just got the phone yesterday, and so far I'm really loving it. My only problem is that I am having alot of trouble moving my word documents that I create on it back to my computer. It seems to put the documents in a really strange format I have never seen before (.docx) and when I try to look at it through active sync it doesnt even seem to be a word file at all. When I double click it all it does is bring up the properties. I really need this feature to work for me, so any help is more than appreciated.

Guest xorangefirex

I've now gotten the file on to my computer, but when I try to open it with MSWord it tells me that it is encoded and tells me to select the encoding that will make the document readable. I've went through alot of them, but it still comes out in code (aka completely worthless jibberish) I really need some help on this one. Thanks

I finally figured it out after a little over an hour of tinkering. Sadly the solution was to put it into rich text format...which, once I figured it out, took all of 3 seconds. I guess thats what you do for the first few days with a new device though.

Edited by xorangefirex

.docx is Microsofts new Office 2007 word format. Junk in my opinion and a real pain because it's not backwards compatible with older versions of office. If you had office 2007 or the reader on your computer you could open it right up.

To change the default format on your TyTN Mobile Office, open Word Mobile, Choose Menu, tools, options and change the default template to "Word 97-2003 Document (.doc)". All new documents will open with your older version of Microsoft Office.

I've now gotten the file on to my computer, but when I try to open it with MSWord it tells me that it is encoded and tells me to select the encoding that will make the document readable. I've went through alot of them, but it still comes out in code (aka completely worthless jibberish) I really need some help on this one. Thanks

I finally figured it out after a little over an hour of tinkering. Sadly the solution was to put it into rich text format...which, once I figured it out, took all of 3 seconds. I guess thats what you do for the first few days with a new device though.

Crappypants.

Can we rename this "The official 'I'll NEVER get my TyTN II' thread?"

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/21/atandt-...ed-a-few-weeks/

il quote what i said in the Paul Reviews the HTC TyTN thread:

lol "tilt delayed a few weeks"

first of all, this isnt anything new? it already has been delayed.

we've been hearing dates of it being released, and it hasnt happened, so what makes it being delayed just as true? anything we hear is gonna change, whether it be the Tilt being released or delayed, it's all the same, its just about waiting.

basicly im trying to say, it doesnt matter what they tell us, it will come out in 3 days, or be delayed for 3 weeks, either one isnt even true, so we just need to wait.

Guest zachto_man
Not sure if this will do what you want, but you can set your active sync to manual this way:

Open Active Sync,

Choose Menu and Schedule,

Set Peak Times and Off-peak times to manual.

Alternatively you can adjust your peak times so active sync is only on at the times that you want it on.

Perhaps this is not what you're looking for, but it is a nice way to keep your phone from alerting you to new emails before you get up in the morning if you charge it on the night stand like I do.

Hi ipgenie

Many thanks.

I missed this reply. I have been syncing using bluetooth of late - brilliant - and it doesn't seem to want to let me select schedule.

When I do a back up tonight I'll check it out (can't backup using bluetooth because it wont sync fast enough after trhe reboot - sigh).

Cheers.

If any US Tilt folks are hanging around, I'm going to continue the "official I'll NEVER get my TyTN II thread" with a new speculative date. This is from the same site who brought us the first REAL picture of the AT&T Tilt, so hopefully it's a little more concrete than others: http://mobilitytoday.com/news/att_release_dates_change.html

Edited by drokkon

Guest morfmedia

Whats the best way of getting all my contacts from my Vario original onto the Vario 3, I plugged it in using activesync but it said I don't have outlook installed. I'm sure the original vario didn't need this to backup my contacts?!?!

There any freeware / easy way to transfer it all?

PS The Vario III rocks, really like it already ;)

Whats the best way of getting all my contacts from my Vario original onto the Vario 3, I plugged it in using activesync but it said I don't have outlook installed. I'm sure the original vario didn't need this to backup my contacts?!?!

Try to use Sprite Backup, if you have it on software CD enclosed with Vario III. I've discovered today that Sprite actually does contacts/tasks/calendar backup really well.

Guest morfmedia
Try to use Sprite Backup, if you have it on software CD enclosed with Vario III. I've discovered today that Sprite actually does contacts/tasks/calendar backup really well.

Good man, I bought this a year or so ago so will try and use the full version I bought.

Thanks for the prompt reply ;)

I absolutely love this phone ... my only gripe is that the ActiveSync keeps launching on the phone ... it seems that whenever I check the task manager (every few minutes) this program has started (the phone is just sitting on my desk) ... is there anyway to disable the activesyn from automatically turning on? ... I am thinking may when I lose GPRS or Edge or 3G service and re-gain it that the activesyn kicks in?

Anyone else experiencing or noticing this?

Not sure if you fihured this out yet or not-The problem is known and is purposely set that way (thanks to Microsoft). It was really driving me nuts! I finally found the solution on the web and did the following and it works!

ActiveSync keeps restarting on PPC. >>> FIXED <<< I had a Cingular 8125 with NBD TouchFLO roms, but I ended up selling it so I could purchase a HTC Touch.

I posted this question in the ELF thread but nobody had an answer.

I thought I would post it here since the touch is a Pocket PC with WM6 installed and the Wizard thread is very active.

So, the problem I'm having is:

When I start up the HTC Touch, ActiveSync is running. I stop it, but sooner or later it will show up in the Tasks running again. I'll leave the HTC Touch alone for awhile, come back and ActiveSync is running again.

I did the ActiveSync Fake server Trick(Fake IP, Set schedules to Manual, etc..), but that didn't help.

I only had the HTC Touch for a couple of days. I haven't installed any programs. I even did a Hard Reset, but ActiveSync still runs.

Here is the Fix:

In the windows/activesync directory there is a file called “CtrlLog” file, in the file I noticed that at certain times it would say “KeepAwake” so I knew there had to be something trying to keep ActiveSync running.

I download an app called “Task Manager by FdcSoft”, cool little app for Free, it showed me all the processes running in the background. The one that caught my eye is a process called “repllog.exe”, because it had an ActiveSync icon next to it.

So just messing around with “Task Manager” I went to “Notifications” and noticed there were three “repllog.exe” in the notifications list towards the bottom. After disabling and enabling “repllog.exe” one by one, I believe the one that is causing ActiveSync to keep restarting itself is the “repllog.exe” that has an Argument named AppRunAfterTimeChange(must scroll to the right to see it). So I disabled that particular “repllog.exe” and did a Soft Reset.

I no longer see ActiveSync in the Task Manager list unless I connect to the PC using a USB cable.

NOTE: This procedure might not work for everyone. I have a HTC Touch with WM6.

Get Task Manager here: http://ppcfree.com/en/index.php?soft=1612

;)

Guest zachto_man
I no longer see ActiveSync in the Task Manager list unless I connect to the PC using a USB cable.

NOTE: This procedure might not work for everyone. I have a HTC Touch with WM6.

Get Task Manager here: http://ppcfree.com/en/index.php?soft=1612

;)

It works on Kaiser. Many thanks for posting. This has been an annoyance to me since I got the Kaiser.

cheers

Guest djeikh

Hello Paul,

Does opening the "external GPS program" alone will screw up the internal GPS? is a hard reset really the only way to fix this? I'm having problem with google maps nor VisualGPSce working correctly; I did run the Programs > GPS Program once before, thinking that was the right one to use (immediately after opening the box) - would it help to uninstall the external GPS program instead? why hard reset? I just don't want to loose all my settings again.

thanks

joachim

Programs -> GPS Program Port COM4

Hardware -> GPS hardware port 'none', baud rate 4800

Access -> Tick check box.

Somehow i've managed to totally lose GPS before by messing with that stuff, fixed only by a hard reset!

P

Guest zachto_man
Hello Paul,

Does opening the "external GPS program" alone will screw up the internal GPS? is a hard reset really the only way to fix this? I'm having problem with google maps nor VisualGPSce working correctly; I did run the Programs > GPS Program once before, thinking that was the right one to use (immediately after opening the box) - would it help to uninstall the external GPS program instead? why hard reset? I just don't want to loose all my settings again.

thanks

joachim

Hi Joachim.

No, merely opening the external GPS settings should not screw you up....

If you have already modified the settings in the external GPSsettings panel then the consensus seems to be a hard reset is the only way to recover GPS function.

If you are simply having trouble using GPS follow this formula.

Download and install GpsViewer.exe from here:

http://pocketmap.com/accessories/GpsViewer.exe

Open GpsViewer.

select Com Port 'COM4:'

select Baudrate '4800' - should be preselected

select Open GPS

select any of the start buttons.

wait 15-20 seconds and select the GPS status tab at the bottom.

It will help if you are outdoors and not on the bottom floor of a 12 story building.

While the GpsViewer is still running and after you have a good fix - some blue boxes in the status tab - open GoogleMaps and try to use the track location function.

Google maps will often time out before the GPS in the Kaiser can get a good fix.

Good luck.

karlo

Edited by zachto_man

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.