The official 'I got my TyTN II thread'

Guest PaulOBrien

Do you prefer the iGO software over TomTom? Whichever you feel is better could you please list a few reasons why?

I prefer iGO's user interface, speed and quality/details of maps over TT's, however TT seems to have better route planning algorithms, so it's quite hard to say which is definitely better.. I rarely use satnav, anyway - I think the best navigation ever made is brain+paper map. It 'only' requires someone to hold it and direct while you're driving. :)

Guest burrzoo
I prefer iGO's user interface, speed and quality/details of maps over TT's, however TT seems to have better route planning algorithms, so it's quite hard to say which is definitely better.. I rarely use satnav, anyway - I think the best navigation ever made is brain+paper map. It 'only' requires someone to hold it and direct while you're driving. ;)

haha! Thanks! I used to have rubber-banded bundles and bundles of maps in my car. I think that the GPS might be just flat out handy!

Guest cristids

Come on guys,

I'm waiting and waiting and hitting f5 for details and nothing? Share with us ;) . Mine is set to come on 11 and it's a loooong wait.

Edited by cristids

Guest pestekkorna

Hi guys, first of all, I would like to thank you all for all the informations you are sharing with us!

I have some questions about the tytn II:

1. Is there some rilevant differences between the US version and the UK version? I think I'm going to order mine on the net from a USA site instead of waiting for the PDA to be in stock at higher prices...

2. what about surfing the net (via 3G or wifi)? Is the embedded browser fast?

3. curiosity: will it be able to play on-line radios on internet sites? I mean, there are some sites who offer you the possibility to listen to the on-line radio via windows media player. will the tytn II be able to open this kind of streaming?

Thank you for your patience and time and excuse me for my english!

Peste

3. curiosity: will it be able to play on-line radios on internet sites? I mean, there are some sites who offer you the possibility to listen to the on-line radio via windows media player. will the tytn II be able to open this kind of streaming?

It does not depend on device itself, but the software. I don't know about WMP, but I was able to listen online Proton Radio using GSPlayer.

Guest pestekkorna
It does not depend on device itself, but the software. I don't know about WMP, but I was able to listen online Proton Radio using GSPlayer.

Thank you for your anwser! you are right, it does't depend on device and having wmp, tytn II should be able to play windows media streamings on line!

Have a nice sunday!

Peste

Guest kathryncheng

to all,

has anyone notice that when you change position or sudden movement of tytn II the device seems to have a noticeable flicker or lines especially from ; -- the start taskbar is... can everyone look closely so i could find out if its normal or maybe i have a faulty unit.

thanks to all

Guest Sonicr360

Hi all

Having spent some time using the device, I can confirm that its pretty damn good! I come from an XDA EXEC which was good but bulky and weighty. Even as a phone, it was a little too big.

I ended up using the device as a Terminal Services laptop and occasionly used Tom Tom with a seperate bluetooth GPS. One thing that did annoy me was the battery life, which would need a charge within a day, possibly 2 at the most.

I gave up, went to my Samsung D900 which was ultra slim, light a a great 3MP camera. Cameras are not important to me, but for quick snaps or photos and video, its proved very, very impressive indeed.

I am with Vodafone, and never had 3G enabled on my SIM. When I purchased Tytn II, it was sim-free. At the same time I contacted Vodafone, spoke to a sensible customer service department who sent out a 3G SIM card.

Best part was... its free! So the new TyTN II arrived, and the 3G Sim. Once activated I started to play.

First things that struck me:

1) Accessories in the box. Nice carry case for the phone that attaches to the belt. Great for me

2) Nice presentation to the box - good and clear instruction manual

3) Simple read me to get started as quick as poss

4) Charge time was short :-)

5) Simple Wizard setup. Boot time short.

Upon starting the device and trying to get used to the buttons, I started ACtive Sync. Realising I needed 4.5 I done a clean uninstall of my 4.0 sync and resinstalled 4.5. Sync up with USB very nicely, and quick too.

I then setup the Wifi and sync over wireless. Again, great, simple and worked like a charm.

Next I went back to the big HTC Manual (and it is big!) and started reading slowly all the features and functions. I concentrated on certain areas of the phone (GPS, Sync, Bluetooth and Wi-fi) before exploring all the other WM6 features. I also tried out the "weather" feature which is a nice touch.

Next day, after leaving the phone on, I wanted to check what % the battery was at. Considering the small usage I gave it, I was surprised and impressed it had dropped just 7% !! Comparing that to my XDA Exec it had lost 20% overnight! May not sound much, but for me the battery life is essential, when I am on the move and no access to a charger.

Next, was the camera and video. Not reading the instructions I went head into the application and started to take shots. Compared to my D900 its pretty good. Again, its not going to replace a decent Canon camera, but for video on the go and photos to take and share or email, its very, very impressive!

Installed Tom Tom and downloaded one map. Again, without any configuration changes, the GPS connected and I was able to route an address. Yet again, all simple, no changes needed and no modications using the built in GPS.

Battery life was now down to 78% after playing with videos, camera, music and TomTom, with the odd bluetooth connectivity. And almost forgot, the use of the slideout keyboard and MSN with some web browsing too.

Sync today, with USB and again, no reported problems. In fact, out of the box, I have YET to have a single crash or instance of a failure. The only time it was reset was due to Sprite Backup doing this during and after the backup process. Not too impressed with this, but a small price to pay for the backup of essential OS Data.

Overall I have to stress that this for me, is an absolute essential purchase. Yes its not as light as my D900, but its NOT heavier than my XDA Exec (which I will now be selling), but its enough to be seen as a phone, which offers alot more functionaility than the eye can see on first contact.

And that is one impressive device. I am sure as the years go by, the HTC range will get smaller and slimmer, but for now its a great device. For a business person, its ideal.

Some concerns I have noted are:

1) No Terminal Services Client. I found a download for Mobile Remote Desktop, but unsure if I should have this by default or need a seperate install

2) I noticed my Signal Bar had the letter "G" on it. When I click on this, it told me it was connected to GPRS, 3G for 4 hours!!!!!!!!! I have absolutely no idea what it was doing, let alone why it was connected. That bothers me alot!! Last thing I need is a huge bill! I also discovered if Active Sync is set to "sync when items arrive", the connection remains on. Any ideas how this can be turned off ?

I think thats about it, considering I have been using it for a few days.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my views on this device. I know its expensive, but when you consider what the device holds on its own, and all the features, the value is worth it.

Thanks, Simon

Guest mikeeey

so has anyone here with the TyTN II got CoolCamera to work? there hasnt been a new version in a while, hopefully soon there will be.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest Kagenryu
I think thats about it, considering I have been using it for a few days.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my views on this device. I know its expensive, but when you consider what the device holds on its own, and all the features, the value is worth it.

Thanks, Simon

Nice short review of the phone... I can't wait to get mine and put it through it's paces! ;)

--

Kage

Guest xorangefirex
so has anyone here with the TyTN II got CoolCamera to work? there hasnt been a new version in a while, hopefully soon there will be.

What exactly is CoolCamera?

What exactly is CoolCamera?

the best camera program out there for windows mobile. it takes MUCH better pictures and videos than the default camera software that comes with your phone. you can take ANY resolution of video. the framerate is way better. i suggest you try the trial. just EVERYTHING about it is better.

http://www.ateksoft.com/download.html

Guest MiniOrganMorgan

Currently I'm in Dallas, Texas, and ordered a TyTN II from http://www.onthegosolutions.com/ on Thursday and it arrived Friday. Folks at On-the-Go seemed pretty friendly, but then my unit was ordered with another for a colleague making it a fairly high order value. Think the final cost was about $1700 for the pair, which is expensive for the US, but about on the money compared with back home.

Interestingly, the unit delivered is a British spec device - GB in the serial and with a GB charger. That actually suits me down to the ground as I'm from Scotland working here on a long term contract.

So far, impressed with the unit - a worthy upgrade from my old iPaq hw6515.

Guest Sonicr360

The Carry case is one that you can clip onto your belt. and its pretty stiff as well !

I used the GPS this morning to work, which is a 20 mins drive (and yes I know ; -- I am going) :-)

however, with the GPS on and using this to work, I found after the jourey the battery was down to 87%.

So... using the modaco offer (or if not) I will use the car charger for this feature. Something I just wanted to share. Should also point out the phone was on all night last night and the last charge was 8:30pm yesterday. so again, I think its still good.

And remember, I came from an XDA EXEC (which at the time was the cutting edge PPC device to have). Goes to show how light and slim devices are becoming - the XDA looks sadly dated, but I still cannot complain!

HTH

Simon

Guest anthonyblack

As a HTC Universal (Orange M5000) user i would be very interested to hear from anyone who's converted from using the Universal to the TyTn II. I am very tempted to go for a TyTn II but am concerned about loosing the VGA display as i use my device a lot for internet browsing (Opera) and remotely connecting to PCs.

Let me know your experience.

Guest magic_peanuts
As a HTC Universal (Orange M5000) user i would be very interested to hear from anyone who's converted from using the Universal to the TyTn II. I am very tempted to go for a TyTn II but am concerned about loosing the VGA display as i use my device a lot for internet browsing (Opera) and remotely connecting to PCs.

Let me know your experience.

Haven't forked out for my Tytn II yet (I just bought a new Macbook Pro (Paul that's your fault) and my wife WILL kill me if I spend any more on 'gadgets' this month) but I used to use my Ameo for remote desktop purposes and I could never go back to a non VGA screen if I still had a regular need for a remote desktop connection.

You might want to wait for the HTC Omni (Google it) which is little more than vapourware at the moment but hopefully should materialise early part of 2008.

Guest Shivadxb

I got one WOO HOOOOOOOO

and it rocks....not had much time with it yet but I already love it, runs sweet as no matter how many apps open.

Will post more in a day or so once I've had a good play around with it. I got mine here in Dubai so its sim free and seems to have everything just the way HTC intended, 1 issue though.....Tom Tom dont have a map for the Middle East so I can only use that when I'm back in the UK.

Anyone know any free gps mapping software with maps for the middle east?

Chris

Guest Hightech

Well still no answer from EE I left them a message they never call back. It is ok I live close to them but will never spend my money with them due to lack of customer service.. On another note mobileplanet are the funniest company. I order mine Kaiser and it said yesterday morning 8 days to deliver and this morning it stated shipped I call them to check the order to see if it really ship and it did. The funny part it one day they tell something and the other some else. By no means am I complaining but it is just funny... Tomorrow I should have it..

Guest NuShrike
... 1 issue though.....Tom Tom dont have a map for the Middle East so I can only use that when I'm back in the UK.

Anyone know any free gps mapping software with maps for the middle east?

How about Garmin's Mobile 10 albeit you have to use their external Bluetooth GPS unit (GPS Proxy won't work anymore supposedly to fake it with an internal GPS). As I understand it, there are more free Garmin compatible maps of the world than any other software out there. There's software to make or tweak your own maps also.

For instance, I can find free maps of Japan unlike TomTom.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest xorangefirex
the best camera program out there for windows mobile. it takes MUCH better pictures and videos than the default camera software that comes with your phone. you can take ANY resolution of video. the framerate is way better. i suggest you try the trial. just EVERYTHING about it is better.

http://www.ateksoft.com/download.html

I will definatly have to take a look. How much is the full version?

Guest xorangefirex

So does Mobile Planet not offer any sort of extended warrenty like 95% of the other sites on the net do? I don't really ever feel comfortable buying a phone w/o at least a 2 year no questions asked warrenty. Although not even one of my past 5 phones has ever needed repair I just like to have that piece of mind. (Also, I have never kept any of my phones for more than 6 months, so that may be part of the reason they haven't ever broken)(I'm really hoping that this phone is spectacular enough to put my obsession to rest for at least a year)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.