HTC TyTN II Annoyances

Guest AwJm

- Keyboard slides out from the opposite side to the TyTN so the d-pad is now on the left rather than the right. I was so used to using my right thumb on the tyTn so now have to get used to it. This is minor though.

Other issue with different keyboard slide is stylus - getting it out while keyboard opened is complete nightmare for right-handed people! :)

Guest dolbe666
What problems you had with it ?

The phone was having problems when in IE it was turning the screen white then when I came out of IE it made the screen pixelated even after reboot and finally hard reset. The phone finally gave up the ghost yesterday and when I turn it on all I get is a white screen. I'm just waiting for citylink to pick it up now

Guest Nick Le Lievre

I have an annoyance with the phone, on 2 occasions now the phone has not responded when I pressed the power button and it requires a reset to get it back on again. Its happened twice so far since last Wednesday namely on Friday morning and then again yesterday afternoon. It can work fine for hours it appears to be an intermittent fault I don't think there is anything wrong with the phone its just the nature of PPCs. It annoys me becuase what if the phone rings while it is in this state will it turn on then? I don't think so - so I will miss calls. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Edit: Make that 3 times it has happened as it just happened again... I let it switch itself off at my place no apps running and when I got to my mothers I tried to turn it on and nothing happened I had to reset. This is a major fault IMO and its bloody annoying.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest Harry3GTech
I did another TCPMP benchmark, using GDI display driver:

TCPMP Version

Subtitle Edition

0.81RC1 Beta Benchmark Results

Average Speed				  134.88%

Video Frames				   3635

Audio Samples				  6703595

Amount of Data				 12020 KB

Bench. Time					1:52.293

Bench. Frame Rate			  32.37

Bench. Sample Rate			 59698

Bench. Data Rate			   877 kbit/s

Original Time				  2:31.459

Original Frame Rate			24.00

Original Sample Rate		   44100

Original Data Rate			 650 kbit/s

URL							\My Documents\RL_MQB_320x240_512_128.avi

Size						   12308480

Platform					   PocketPC

OS Version					 5.02

OEM Info					   Kaiser

Clock speed					395 Mhz

Video output				   GDI 240x320 16bits Lookup

Video zoom					 320x240 -> 240x320

Audio output				   Wave Output 44100Hz 16Bits 2Ch.

Hi Evad,

Can you please share the link for the latest (beta) TCPMP?

The one I have (0.72 RC1) does not even get close to your benchmark!

Any chance of sharing with us the settings for this benchmark?

Thanks in advance

Guest dolbe666
Hi Evad,

Can you please share the link for the latest (beta) TCPMP?

The one I have (0.72 RC1) does not even get close to your benchmark!

Thanks in advance

I couldnt find the official download link but i had it on my pc so i uploaded it for you

http://rapidshare.com/files/54910897/TCPMP...WAVPack.AAC.rar

Settings were quite default, just fired up TCPMP, loaded file and Benchmark. The only change I've made was choosing GDI driver instead of DirectDraw. That's it.

Guest jim.mason
Other issue with different keyboard slide is stylus - getting it out while keyboard opened is complete nightmare for right-handed people! ;)

Such a shame for you all, us lefties have had to put up with it for ages - now its your turn :wub:

Guest mortenandersen
Such a shame for you all, us lefties have had to put up with it for ages - now its your turn ;)

Another way of overcoming this "annoyance" is to make it habit to pull out the stylus BEFORE one slides the phone open, holding the phone in one's left hand, and then it is natural to use one's right hand. So in these ways, both lefties and righties can be satisfied?

Edited by mortenandersen

Guest Reload65

When I finish a call on the Kaiser the backlight goes off and stays off I cannot access the Start menu. I can access all other functions but backlight stays off and still cant get into the Start menu from anywhere. I have to press the power off button quickly once and then wait a second, press it again to be able to access the start button or the light to come on. This is definitely a bug in the tytn two and I hope HTC is doing something about this as it is very annoying.

When I finish a call on the Kaiser the backlight goes off and stays off I cannot access the Start menu. I can access all other functions but backlight stays off and still cant get into the Start menu from anywhere. I have to press the power off button quickly once and then wait a second, press it again to be able to access the start button or the light to come on. This is definitely a bug in the tytn two and I hope HTC is doing something about this as it is very annoying.

No such problems with my Kaiser. Maybe some specific application is causing such behavior? Try uninstalling some of them, and check - but the best test would be hard reset and check on 'clean' ROM. If problem still persists - get the warranty replacement.

Hi

No such problems with my Kaiser. Maybe some specific application is causing such behavior? Try uninstalling some of them, and check - but the best test would be hard reset and check on 'clean' ROM. If problem still persists - get the warranty replacement.

As mentioned in another forum this is a known bug that happens when the Kaiser has a password set.

Regards

Phil

Guest robertlewisca

I just got mine yesterday, and everything is great, except one issue I seem to be having. I installed iGuidance v4, and for some reason, it has a really hard time launching. Once launched, it works great, but I can't always get it to launch. I have had to do a number of soft resets to get it to work. Any ideas?

Guest Nick Le Lievre

As posted earlier anyone else had the bug where the Tytn II is in standby and you go to turn it on using the power button and nothing happens, it just doesn't respond to the press of the power button. Only a reset gets it back on again its happened 3 times to me so far since last wednesday. Everyone seems to be keeping quiet about this one.

Hi

As posted earlier anyone else had the bug where the Tytn II is in standby and you go to turn it on using the power button and nothing happens, it just doesn't respond to the press of the power button. Only a reset gets it back on again its happened 3 times to me so far since last wednesday. Everyone seems to be keeping quiet about this one.

I know what this problem is like as had it with the Toshiba G900. The Kaiser for me has had no such issues and I have been messing around with Standby/Suspend and turning it back on a lot for testing other things. It has never failed to turn back on.

Have you installed any other applications or changed any settings that may point to your problem?

If you have ruled out anything you may have installed or changed it may just be you have a faulty phone.

Regards

Phil

Guest Nick Le Lievre
Hi

I know what this problem is like as had it with the Toshiba G900. The Kaiser for me has had no such issues and I have been messing around with Standby/Suspend and turning it back on a lot for testing other things. It has never failed to turn back on.

Have you installed any other applications or changed any settings that may point to your problem?

If you have ruled out anything you may have installed or changed it may just be you have a faulty phone.

Regards

Phil

The only things I have added is the googlemail JAVA application and have the identification screen pop up at every device turn on. It doesn't happen very often though and it may just be you have never expierienced it yet... as I say I`ve been using/charging the device since last Wednesday and its happened 3 times so far... once on Friday morning, once yesterday afternoon and once earlier this morning.

I honestly don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the device and I`m afraid that if I was to send it back I`d get another do exactly the same thing... I just hope there's a ROM update to fix this, I have emailed HTC support about it.

EDIT: I have done some research into the G900 problem you mentioned and they call it the "standby of death" well I`ve had it happen with my Tytn II also not very often and I cannot replicate it but it does happen... 3 times in less then a week with daily usage

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest dolbe666

thats happened to me on other devices, its happened on my Qtek 9000 and my MDA Vario. i think its a windows mobile issue and its not related to just one device

Edited by dolbe666

Guest Nick Le Lievre
thats happened to me on other devices, its happened on my Qtek 9000 and my MDA Vario. i think its a windows mobile issue and its not related to just one device

Apparently Toshiba released a patch for the G900 I don't know if it worked... maybe its down to Microsoft to fix Windows Mobile 6.0

EDIT: Also one of the things which seemed to help to lessen the frequency of the Standby of Death on the G900 was to disable error reporting, its funny but it is disabled by default on my Tytn II (I wonder why) maybe that's why I don't get that many SOD's

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest puerrican718
Settings were quite default, just fired up TCPMP, loaded file and Benchmark. The only change I've made was choosing GDI driver instead of DirectDraw. That's it.

Try switching to Raw Framebuffer instead, you should see a huge difference from GDI and DirectDraw. On a decent HQ QVGA I get close to 230%+

Whats most likely the case is that with the new co processor being the main heavyweight to decode graphics and videos tcpmp/coreplayer needs to support the qualcomm first for it to do so. It's like getting a brand new video card for your pc, you'd be able to install it and use it at first but without the drivers for it you won't be able to do any 3D games or video watching properly.

It's like when the tytn came out at first, the ATI Imageon chip wasnt supported and thus the player had major problems playing videos at first, the team released a new version a few months ago and has it all ironed but you won't see tcpmp supporting the Kaiser II in that way since it's deen discontinued to work on Coreplayer.

BIG BUG // PROBLEM AND ANNOYING !!!

I use wireless alot, and at home i have wireless to connect to my PPC

With others PPC´s i used to :

- Disable autoPower off in POWER OPTIONS.

- Toggle SCreen

- and leave the wifi runing on the PocketPC connected to my Access Point.... with messenger and other soft running....

Now with TYTN2 i am not able to do this ................

With TYTN2 i tryed to toggle screen with WIFI ON and CONNECTED

and leave the machine running, and i am not able to keep the wifi CONNECTED... every time i turn screen back on WIFI does a

new connection.....

I tried to toggle screen with :

- Windows Media Player toggle screen option

- psShutXP

This is a real FAILURE for ppl that like me that like to leave wireless on @ home....

IS THERE A SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM ?????

;)

Guest dolbe666
BIG BUG // PROBLEM AND ANNOYING !!!

I use wireless alot, and at home i have wireless to connect to my PPC

With others PPC´s i used to :

- Disable autoPower off in POWER OPTIONS.

- Toggle SCreen

- and leave the wifi runing on the PocketPC connected to my Access Point.... with messenger and other soft running....

Now with TYTN2 i am not able to do this ................

With TYTN2 i tryed to toggle screen with WIFI ON and CONNECTED

and leave the machine running, and i am not able to keep the wifi CONNECTED... every time i turn screen back on WIFI does a

new connection.....

I tried to toggle screen with :

- Windows Media Player toggle screen option

- psShutXP

This is a real FAILURE for ppl that like me that like to leave wireless on @ home....

IS THERE A SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM ?????

;)

have you tried turning the wifi power save mode to best performance and untick the auto turn off wifi? if you do that it should stay connected

i

I did another TCPMP benchmark, using GDI display driver:

TCPMP Version

Subtitle Edition

0.81RC1 Beta Benchmark Results

Average Speed 134.88%

Hi Evad,

That looks much better, I imagine the QVGA test file runs very smoothly now.

If you have the time, could you run the benchmark with the HQ Matrix trailer (VGA @ 1500Kb/s).

I doubt it will run at 100% or more, but it would give us an idea of the performance on HQ Divx files...

I'm intrigued because Matt in his review seems to suggest that such files run smoothly on the Kaiser without the need to re-encode them...

Thanks!

Edited by Manni01

That looks much better, I imagine the QVGA test file runs very smoothly now.

It was running smoothly with the first benchmark as well...

If you have the time, could you run the benchmark with the HQ Matrix trailer (VGA @ 1500Kb/s).

If you could just tell me where I can get it from?

I've bought 2GB memory card yesterday, I'll give a go a 'real' full-time divx movie later today to see if Kaiser can cope. :)

Hi

Apparently Toshiba released a patch for the G900 I don't know if it worked... maybe its down to Microsoft to fix Windows Mobile 6.0

EDIT: Also one of the things which seemed to help to lessen the frequency of the Standby of Death on the G900 was to disable error reporting, its funny but it is disabled by default on my Tytn II (I wonder why) maybe that's why I don't get that many SOD's

I know all about the standby of death as I had the G900 and sent it back because of it.

The Kaiser has been switched on and off (to standby) many times by me as I have been testing various things and it has never failed to come back on, the G900 on the other hand first exhibited the problem within 20 minutes or so.

If no one else is experiencing similar issues with the Kaiser (the G900 was a wide spread problem and it was clear quite quickly it was unlikely due to a few faulty devices but a problem on all/most) then it could be you do have a faulty device. For example if the RAM is borderline or has a fault then this could cause loss of data when everything goes into a lower power sleep state.

I would try changing it, I know it's a real pain but you will never know otherwise.

Regards

Phil

have you tried turning the wifi power save mode to best performance and untick the auto turn off wifi? if you do that it should stay connected

dolbe666, thats one of the BIG problems !!!!!!!!!!! that option doesnt appear on the WIFI seetings ;) of the KAISER !!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant find it .... i think HTC has put a wifi-turn-off by default :wub: is there any way to change it ? registry tweak ? special app ?