HTC TyTN II Annoyances

Guest AwJm

Guest Nick Le Lievre
If you're really happy to have a device that dosen't perform as it was designed, more power to you. I'd consider it a terrible inconvience if I didn't know weather my phone was going to work properly untill I'd gotten out of bed and reset it. And upset would not begin to describe my feelings if I bought that phone off of you on ebay someday. Don't be surprised when it starts needing a quick reset twice a day, then every other hour, then every time you need to make a call.

I actually think the behaviour is normal... as the previous poster says it happens to his MDA Vario too and on the other PocketPC he owned. I might be wrong and there is something faulty with my phone, but then the previous posters phone must be faulty too. I know he said his only did it once or twice a month but still it shouldn't do it at all should it? Its only happened to me 3 times in a week and no more that's being totally honest.

It hasn't happened again since Tuesday morning but then I`ve intentionally reset the phone twice since then (without being forced) and it did go 3 days once without doing it (this was when I was doing forced resets only) so I can't be sure it won't do it again. All I can do is monitor the situation now that I`m doing intentional resets and report back. If I get to next Wednesday and it hasn't gone into Standby of Death again then I think I can say that intentionally resetting the device regularily helps.

If however it does it again within a day of doing a reset then I think it must be faulty or just a very unreliable device. Only time will tell as they say atm I`m prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt and give it regular resets to keep it happy (I hope).

EDIT: BTW I am not using a memory card and have installed no apps except the Googlemail JAVA application and I`m pretty sure it went into Standby of Death the first time on Friday morning and then I was forced to reset and only after that did I install the Googlemail JAVA app.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest chucky.egg

We use SK Tools' Skhema to auto-reboot all our work devices (HTC Wizards) at 4am every day to avoid this sort of issue

It's not unusual in PPC for it to *need* a regular reset IME

I don't even consider it a fault any more, it's just the nature of combinations of the OS and apps for various 3rd party suppliers, and TBH the complexity of just isolating the "offending" app is more trouble than it's worth for such a small inconvenience.

Guest MiniOrganMorgan

Crikey, I didn't know these devices could be so flakey after reading some posts above. IMHO having to reboot a device, of any description[1], every 24 hours is a bloody nonsense and something somewhere is seriously wrong. I thought a daily reboot as a logn term fix had gone out with Noah, his Ark and his Windows 95 pc.

[1] ie phone, pc, server, etc, etc

Guest NuShrike

Just putting in my coppers that my Kaiser has been perfectly stable since I received it on the 11th. I've even tried running TomTom, Google Maps w/ track location, typing an email, bluetooth internet sharing tether, wireless all in various combinations and never had a forced nor unexpected reboot/reset. The phone does seems graphically sluggish at times, but it clears up (I need to find some TaskInfo like app).

I'm using Opera Mobile, I've used Skype over BT, have 3G/HSDPA running, HTC GPRS monitor, Spb Phone Suite, and the Kaiser is still holding up like a champ. Much much better than the occasional reset I've had to do in order to keep my Palm TX running Opera Mini, or just any other network/wireless operation.

My only issue is how to get the Show Sim contact set to zero registry edit to stay after any soft-reset. Too bad the Phone app doesn't expose this option.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest dolbe666

I have to say this second TYTN II I got today is running perfectly. its got no issues at all. even has no problem with the calling bug. all Ive had a slight problem with is droppng connection but thatd due to t-mobile and my location, I get a very strong gprs signal but 3G and HSPDA is alot weaker, but like I said its not a phone fault its just poor netwrk coverage. Ive had no slowdown switching from normal screen to landscape, Ive had no screen shutting down after calls and no need to switch the phone off and on to get the screen back active. its perfect

Guest zachto_man

Hi.

I received my Kaiser yesterday latish and after charging over night from my laptop I got to spend part of today playing with it. It is my first ppc and only my second cellular device. The first is a Motorola V195S from work.

I do not seem to be experiencing any of the syptoms that people have reported here. My battery does not seem to get too hot though I do not keep the 3G or wireless on if I am not using them.

The buttons at the Dpad do not seem inordinately loose or wobbly and that is true of the hinge, slider and the two halves of the case when the device is closed.

This is my first experience of wm6 (or any wm) and I am sort of surprised at how few options there seem to be - built in - for customizing. I have not yet received the microsd card I ordered and so have not installed any of the recommended software I have seen on Pauls list and in other places.Perhaps I am not looking in the right places. But, I do have two quibbles that I hope some one can help with.

1. Is there any way to get the listings in the contacts list to dislplay as firstname lastname instead of lastname, firstname? It just scans better like that for me. I suppose I could just fake the contact list by putting first names where last names go and vise-versa but that seems more than a little messy.

2. When I use the touch scroll feature there is an anoying clicking and popping sound - electronic - that I suppose is meant to indicate it is doing something. Is there a way to turn that feature(?) off?

Many thanks

karlo

Guest Sonicr360
Crikey, I didn't know these devices could be so flakey after reading some posts above. IMHO having to reboot a device, of any description[1], every 24 hours is a bloody nonsense and something somewhere is seriously wrong. I thought a daily reboot as a logn term fix had gone out with Noah, his Ark and his Windows 95 pc.

[1] ie phone, pc, server, etc, etc

Your right - why should you?? Peronally, mine has been fine - ok few little niggles that "i" can live with. My first Windows Mobile device was the SPV, which was a shambles on Orange, very unstable, never notified me about voice messages, phone hung during calls, it was a joke!

The XDA Exec was never really used as a phone, more of a mini laptop and its great for that

The TyTN II is a VERY good device. Some of the posts I am reading here sound more technical, or just people having small gripes.

Mind you, they could always return it for a refund and wait for something else to come along.

I have only ever rebooted (as in soft reset) my device twice now - once on purpose and the 2nd time was due to a dodgy application!

Other than that, its a great device. Sometimes 3rd party product can make the device unstable. Im happy with the features its comes with.

Guest superwario
1. Is there any way to get the listings in the contacts list to dislplay as firstname lastname instead of lastname, firstname? It just scans better like that for me. I suppose I could just fake the contact list by putting first names where last names go and vise-versa but that seems more than a little messy.

Yeah i was wondering this too because on old phone its firstname,lastname and i have gotten used to that. Anyoe have a fix for this?

Guest Everton1878

Found the WiFi the be a little flakey last night

It didn't drop out but it would somtimes stop browsing/downloading but then without changing anything it would usually let me browse to a diff site

i.e. could get on mobile twitter but stopped when trying to update status

Then went to download the JAVA Gmail, got to the site ok but stalled on the download

Switching the WiFi off and then back on seemed to cure it

The 2 previous examples then worked fine first time

Guest Sonicr360

Quick Q - but what is the procedure for the Hard Reset? I restored my system back to a "sprite" backup that came with the software, and there appears to be components missing that is stopping Windows loading the menus correctly.

Now, THATS a problem :-)

Guest SierraDelta
Quick Q - but what is the procedure for the Hard Reset? ...

From the User Manual that came with mine, p.238:

Hard reset

You can also perform a hard reset (also known as a full reset). A hard reset should be performed only if a normal reset does not solve a system problem. After a hard reset, the device is restored to its default settings - the way it was when you first purchased it and turned it on. Any programs you installed, data you entered, and settings you customized on your device will be lost. Only Windows Mobile® software and other pre-installed programs will remain.

To perform a hard reset using device keys

1. Press and hold the left SOFT KEY and the right SOFT KEY, and at the same time, use the stylus to press the RESET button at the bottom of your device.

2. Release the stylus, but continue pressing the two SOFT KEYs until you see the following message on the screen:

This operation will delete all your personal data, and reset all settings to the manufacturer default settings. Press SEND to restore manufacturer defaults, or press any other button to cancel.

3. Release the two SOFT KEYs, and then press the [Green Phone] button on your device.

Warning! Your device will be set back to factory default settings. Please ensure any additional installed programs and/or user data have been backed up before a hard reset is performed.

Edited by SierraDelta

Guest Webreaper

2. When I use the touch scroll feature there is an anoying clicking and popping sound - electronic - that I suppose is meant to indicate it is doing something. Is there a way to turn that feature(?) off?

1. It's annoying. http://www.modaco.com/Change-default-File-As-t258431.html solved it for WM5, but the FileAsFirstLast.cab doesn't appear to work on WM6. Having said that, you can periodically export your contacts to outlook, run the FileAsSorted and then re-import them.

2. I think there's a setting somewhere - I remember finding it in my travels. ;)

Guest Sonicr360
From the User Manual that came with mine, p.238:

Hard reset

You can also perform a hard reset (also known as a full reset). A hard reset should be performed only if a normal reset does not solve a system problem. After a hard reset, the device is restored to its default settings - the way it was when you first purchased it and turned it on. Any programs you installed, data you entered, and settings you customized on your device will be lost. Only Windows Mobile® software and other pre-installed programs will remain.

To perform a hard reset using device keys

1. Press and hold the left SOFT KEY and the right SOFT KEY, and at the same time, use the stylus to press the RESET button at the bottom of your device.

2. Release the stylus, but continue pressing the two SOFT KEYs until you see the following message on the screen:

This operation will delete all your personal data, and reset all settings to the manufacturer default settings. Press SEND to restore manufacturer defaults, or press any other button to cancel.

3. Release the two SOFT KEYs, and then press the [Green Phone] button on your device.

Warning! Your device will be set back to factory default settings. Please ensure any additional installed programs and/or user data have been backed up before a hard reset is performed.

Thanks, like you went through the manual, just forgot the key combination :-)

Ta

Guest rickyburke
Yeah i was wondering this too because on old phone its firstname,lastname and i have gotten used to that. Anyoe have a fix for this?

Open the Contact, click Edit, then i think the 4th or 5th option down is "File As" Click that, and it'll give you the choice of how you want it listed.

Anybody else having problems with volume using bluetooth (headset, earpiece, built-in-car)? I am sure it is not my imagintation (or age ;) ) but I am finding it rather difficult to hear the caller and I would estimate (even at full volume) that it is around 30% quieter than my other phones (Treo 750v, JasJar, N95, N93 etc.)....

Guest Nick Le Lievre

RE: Standby of Death on my Tytn II (only happened to me so far remember)

To update the last time I had the standby of death was Tuesday about 12:00pm its now Friday 12:29pm and I haven't had it again since. With regard to resets - I was forced to reset the phone Tuesday after the SOD then I reset it intentionally on Wednesday afternoon, intentionally on Thursday morning and intentionally on Friday morning.

The longest it went when I was doing forced resets *only* was 3 days last Friday morning to Monday afternoon when it SOD'd again. I will edit this post over the coming days/weeks updates regarding its stability when used in this fashion. Its looking like resetting it intentionally everyday keeps the device stable - for me anyway.

That is my honest expierience of the device, it may be only my device that behaves in this way. I don't want to hark on about it esp as it may be only my device that behaves in this way. I feel however that is relevant information to this thread and as I say I won't keep posting new replies I`ll just edit this POST over the next days/weeks with my expierience.

Hope your not too annoyed with me for going on about this issue but I feel it is important - for me anyway.

EDIT: Its now been just over 6 days since I last had an SOD I believe this is becuase I`ve been doing intentional daily resets.

EDIT: Its now been 7 1/2 days since I last had an SOD.

EDIT: Its now been over 10 days since I last had an SOD.

EDIT: I went 13 days without SOD then decided to test without soft resets again.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Anybody else having problems with volume using bluetooth (headset, earpiece, built-in-car)? I am sure it is not my imagintation (or age :rolleyes: ) but I am finding it rather difficult to hear the caller and I would estimate (even at full volume) that it is around 30% quieter than my other phones (Treo 750v, JasJar, N95, N93 etc.)....

To be honest, I've also found voice over BT headset some kind of 'thin', when compared to Nokia E61 or even Hermes, however it's just fine for me. I can hear people ok, they can hear me ok as well (at least they say so), so I'm not bothering myself too much with that issue...

Guest dolbe666
RE: Standby of Death on my Tytn II (only happened to me so far remember)

To update the last time I had the standby of death was Tuesday about 12:00pm its now Friday 12:29pm and I haven't had it again since. With regard to resets - I was forced to reset the phone Tuesday after the SOD then I reset it intentionally on Wednesday afternoon, intentionally on Thursday morning and intentionally on Friday morning.

The longest it went when I was doing forced resets *only* was 3 days last Friday morning to Monday afternoon when it SOD'd again. I will edit this post over the coming days/weeks updates regarding its stability when used in this fashion. Its looking like resetting it intentionally everyday keeps the device stable - for me anyway.

That is my honest expierience of the device, it may be only my device that behaves in this way. I don't want to hark on about it esp as it may be only my device that behaves in this way. I feel however that is relevant information to this thread and as I say I won't keep posting new replies I`ll just edit this POST over the next days/weeks with my expierience.

Hope your not too annoyed with me for going on about this issue but I feel it is important - for me anyway.

just one thing, if this turns out to be just your phone and it is a fault, your waisting time testing it. you only have 28 days to return it for replacement, after that its got to go back for repair under the warranty and that will mean weeks away getting repaired.

i sent mine back at the first sign of fault and got a new one back within 3 days, and this one is working perfectly. so dont go testing it with your reboot daily thing. if its faulty get it exchanged for a new one.

Guest zachto_man
Open the Contact, click Edit, then i think the 4th or 5th option down is "File As" Click that, and it'll give you the choice of how you want it listed.

Thanks rickyburke. I had never done a sync before being new to the ppc world. It was a treat to go through all of that rot. But it worked.

Cheers.

karlo

Guest Nick Le Lievre
just one thing, if this turns out to be just your phone and it is a fault, your waisting time testing it. you only have 28 days to return it for replacement, after that its got to go back for repair under the warranty and that will mean weeks away getting repaired.

i sent mine back at the first sign of fault and got a new one back within 3 days, and this one is working perfectly. so dont go testing it with your reboot daily thing. if its faulty get it exchanged for a new one.

Its been just over a week since I got it... I still have at least 2 weeks to return it. I already know it SODs if I don't reset it intentionally. If it gets to 1 week without SOD (next wednesday) by intentionally resetting it everyday then I am sure its not faulty. If it was faulty it would do it at random at anytime regardless of resets. So far its been nearly 4 days since my last SOD. This is the longest it has gone without SOD.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre