HTC TyTN II Annoyances

Guest AwJm

Guest Neil5459
I already know it SODs if I don't reset it intentionally. If it gets to 1 week without SOD (next wednesday) by intentionally resetting it everyday then I am sure its not faulty.

Not necessarily- if there is a bad memory block within the RAM, then resetting will prevent the memory being 'filled' to the bad block. One day you may run a memory hungry program, and the device will crash. ROM now uses a 'differential' writing algorithm to ensure all blocks are used over a period of time, because of the limited number of read/write cycles, but RAM still works in sequence.

Guest Nick Le Lievre
Not necessarily- if there is a bad memory block within the RAM, then resetting will prevent the memory being 'filled' to the bad block. One day you may run a memory hungry program, and the device will crash. ROM now uses a 'differential' writing algorithm to ensure all blocks are used over a period of time, because of the limited number of read/write cycles, but RAM still works in sequence.

But I`m using the machine as much as I want in-between resets and its never failed on me again... surely if there was a bad block of memory just waiting to be written too, I would eventually fill it with a large amount of daily usage. How much can one do in 2-3 days of usage that can't be done in 1 day if used a lot. I don't think there is a correlation between amount of use and an SOD happening... it just happens totally at random.

To test this I could reset the machine in the morning then use it extensively with the apps I use daily in an effort to make it fall over but I bet it won't. I haven't gone to this extreme as I feel I`d be wasting my time, all I can say is I`ve been using the device as much as I want and it hasn't failed again since I`ve been resetting it every morning.

If it does everything I want it to without failing then I am satisfied it is stable.

Anybody had a problem with half of the antenna icon and all of the volume icon in the top start bar disappearing and not coming back? The volume icon still works if I click where it's supposed to be but it doesn't come back, even after about 10 resets. I thought it was the x-button overlapping them for some reason, but I disabled it in the options and they were still gone. I'll add a pic in case anyone doesn't understand what I'm talking about.

Also, has anyone noticed that sometimes it takes more than 1 reset to implement new settings or programs? It took me 3 soft resets to get the vjtoggletoday app to remove the bottom bar and about 5 resets before StartClean decided to kick in.

Oh, and one other thing, does anyone know how to get proper access to be able to remove things from the start up folder? I tried to remove poutlook since I don't use it and sddaemon but it won't let me.

post-196749-1189881154_thumb.jpg

Anybody had a problem with half of the antenna icon and all of the volume icon in the top start bar disappearing and not coming back? The volume icon still works if I click where it's supposed to be but it doesn't come back, even after about 10 resets. I thought it was the x-button overlapping them for some reason, but I disabled it in the options and they were still gone. I'll add a pic in case anyone doesn't understand what I'm talking about.

Also, has anyone noticed that sometimes it takes more than 1 reset to implement new settings or programs? It took me 3 soft resets to get the vjtoggletoday app to remove the bottom bar and about 5 resets before StartClean decided to kick in.

Oh, and one other thing, does anyone know how to get proper access to be able to remove things from the start up folder? I tried to remove poutlook since I don't use it and sddaemon but it won't let me.

looks like its some dodgy app youve installed

Sorry a little off topic but where did you get that radar app for your homescreen? I want something similiar to that esp if it allows animated radars. Thanks in advance.

Guest kathryncheng

hello paul,

theres something wrong with sending files thru bluetooth... for example if youre at the contacts tap and hold normally there should be a send via bluetooth thing ... but htc tytn 2 has only got beam.. but thats for infrared which this device hasnt got... and i cant tap and hold files now to send via bluetooth directly as my old ppcs can do....any thoughts on this?

is this a mis program?

dennis

Guest kathryncheng
hello paul,

theres something wrong with sending files thru bluetooth... for example if youre at the contacts tap and hold normally there should be a send via bluetooth thing ... but htc tytn 2 has only got beam.. but thats for infrared which this device hasnt got... and i cant tap and hold files now to send via bluetooth directly as my old ppcs can do....any thoughts on this?

is this a mis program?

dennis

sorry i think i found the answer to that... beam file is not infrared but bluetooth.....

dennis

Sorry a little off topic but where did you get that radar app for your homescreen? I want something similiar to that esp if it allows animated radars. Thanks in advance.

That program is marsware weather panel. You can get it here - http://www.marsware.net/WeatherPanel/main.htm. It will tell you that it is just a trial, but the developer of the program, from what I understand, disappeared a couple of years ago and the trial never expires. There's also a problem where you have to download a new dll file for it to make it work since someone else volunteered to take over the update site that it connects to. I'll upload that file for you to download here. If you google for skins, you'll find quite a few interesting ones including ones that show you traffic cams on your today screen.

Here's the dll file. Just unzip it on your computer, rename the one that's on your phone in the program files-->marsware-->WeatherPanel folder as WeatherPanel.dll.old (just to be safe) and then place this one in there to replace it. Make sure WeatherPanel is shut off on your today screen first before you do this.

WeatherPanel_dll_fix.zip

Guest kathryncheng

has anyone missed their morning alarm from this device as i have missed mine this morning so tested it and found out that when you click start, settings, system, memory and found out that activesync program is still in the background then it will not initiate to alarm... but when i have made sure that all programs where closed then alarm seems to be working perfecty again..

dens

I know I've seen a fix for this somewhere a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it. The problem is that when I receive an sms from someone in my contacts their phone number shows up in the from field instead of their name. Anyone know how to fix it so I see their name instead?

Guest Webreaper
I know I've seen a fix for this somewhere a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it. The problem is that when I receive an sms from someone in my contacts their phone number shows up in the from field instead of their name. Anyone know how to fix it so I see their name instead?

Assuming you have them in your contacts database, my memory of this is that it's because you have 2 contacts with the same phone number (ie., a dupe). It doesn't know which name to display, so just shows the number.

[*]Another one is the micro sd card soft flap is easily scratched when u change the sd card. After just 3 days of use it is leave with several marks which is quite inevitable if u are going to open it often. This may not be beneficial for frequent traders of mobile.

Yep, exactly - I've noticed same problem with that memory card cover... Hermes' card slot was much better.

Guest cristids

Hello everybody,

Mine came in on 14. Overall impression is excellent until now. The only annoyance is that on my laptop I cannot sync using bluetooth and I hate cables. My Asus 636n can synchronize, and it has a better bluetooth manager that allows you to define and connect an active sync connection.

My findings so far

- HTC home is nice but the clock is just too big. But the choice is up to you to use it.

- Seems to be a bug with audio/sound over a Bluetooth device. The quality you get is below par according so some.

- In landscape mode the screen is filled up till 85% with the clock from HTC Home.

- It’s getting used to with the keyboard (coming from a MDA Pro) of my fingers are just too be, will be getting used to it

- ‘OK’ button on the front doesn’t always respond

- The back of the phone gets dirty quick. Grease stains

- The piece sticking out of the phone when you have the USB stereo in is a bit scary, with that I mean if it get touched too often/hard it might damage the USB connection

- Internet activity can only be closed/stopped when using the stick and tapping on 3G or through the CommMgr

- Think this is an old Windows Mobile bug, when hooked to a power source the backlight jumps to full light and stays there. Even if you had set it to a much lighter setting earlier

- Read about warmth coming free when using 3G/GPS and it’s true.

- The pouch included is much better then the one I got with the MDA pro

- The red phone button works as the button lock when you press and hold it

- Still searching for a way to add my own alarm tones

- Google Maps works nice, only you need to have a connection already active when wanting to sue the option ‘follow position’

- Tried TomTom on the bus and it worked. Did not have to change any settings. Want to try it out soon in a car.

I’m using the HTC TyTn II and I think even after these findings that it’s a great phone with lots of features/possibilities

Guest Neil5459

This appears to be a problem with some WM5 and WM6 devices. For SMS to show as a contact name rather than number, you have to have your contact numbers in full international format (+44 ??? ????) but for Caller ID to work, the number is generally recognised without the international prefix, so it may be one, or the other but not both.

I saw a post somewhere that mentioned how to change a registry setting to reduce the 'number recognition' algorithm for Caller ID, but despite a deep search, I can't find it ;)

Assuming you have them in your contacts database, my memory of this is that it's because you have 2 contacts with the same phone number (ie., a dupe). It doesn't know which name to display, so just shows the number.

Maybe that's the reason. I added all of my sim contacts back to contacts because I use contacts manager from XDA and it doesn't see sim contacts. Now if I could figure out how to hide the sim contacts maybe it would work again the way I want it to. The problem is that when I go in to the registry and change the showsim to 0 and then wait a few minutes and then reset the phone using the power button so that the registry setting will stick, it keeps changing it back to 1 again. I'm not sure what the deal is with that.

As I was writing this I decided to check something and apparently you now have the ability to hide the sim contacts in the contacts menu under options. Thats cool, hopefully that solves this issue.

Nevermind, apparently hiding the sim contacts only works until you reset your phone even when hiding them through the contacts menu. I wonder who's bright idea it was to make it impossible to hide your sim contacts.

Edited by xeno1

Guest NuShrike
As I was writing this I decided to check something and apparently you now have the ability to hide the sim contacts in the contacts menu under options. Thats cool, hopefully that solves this issue.

Nevermind, apparently hiding the sim contacts only works until you reset your phone even when hiding them through the contacts menu. I wonder who's bright idea it was to make it impossible to hide your sim contacts.

How are you seeing that option? I only have:

o Show alphabetical ...

o Show contact names only

I don't see anything about not showing SIM contacts except in the registry.

It's sad this is so primitive and the interface is clunky compared to Tealphone and my 2004 SE t637.

How are you seeing that option? I only have:

o Show alphabetical ...

o Show contact names only

I don't see anything about not showing SIM contacts except in the registry.

It's sad this is so primitive and the interface is clunky compared to Tealphone and my 2004 SE t637.

If you go in to contacts-->menu-->options and check contact names only it hides the sim contacts, at least until you reset your phone that is and then they are all back again.

I want to know why it wont allow me to change the ShowSim registry entry. That kind of horks me off.

Guest Sonicr360

Morning All

I am going to do a hard reset, as I installed a 3rd party app that managed to crash the system.

Went to restore with sprite that seemed to skip some files! Not good!

But I want to save the SMS messages - anyone tell me what file this is stored in, so I can place onto the memory card, hard reset and put back?

Thank you

P.S. Have to say, the device is still VERY good, even though some annoyances are there. But with most Windows mobiles, your gonna get it either way! Nothing will be perfect.....

Guest NuShrike
If you go in to contacts-->menu-->options and check contact names only it hides the sim contacts, at least until you reset your phone that is and then they are all back again.
On mine, "Check Contact Names" only hides the "numbers" of the contact list, not the sim contacts. I can tell because the "chip" icon for the sim contacts are still there.

Guest Everton1878

I like the HTC plugin on the home screen, but wish it was all a bit smaller

Might end up getting 3rd party but this is free

For me a big problem could be the power saving with the GPS

I was trying a data logger out last night on my way home - GPS Photo Tagger

Didn't have it connected to external power so it kept going into power saving mode and switching off the GPS

That's going to be a real problem when out and about

Agree with other posters to start GPS first before Google Maps or hit track location, wait for the timeout and then retry

Usually works for me by then and can get a fix on 4 satellites from my living room :wub:

Not checked to see if that cuts out with power saving

- Just heard back from the developer and they're going to add persistant GPs to the next software version ;)

Edited by Everton1878

Guest Simon Desser

After almost two weeks of using the TyTN II overall I'm very pleased :D

A couple of minor annoyances though :wub:

Firstly, when listening to music, I get a random "stutter" every few minutes. It's only a little glitch but does bug me whenever it does it??!!

Secondly, I always like to get an SMS delivery report. It seems that my Kaiser for some reason will only give me a report if the SMS I've sent is only 1 message long (ie:- 160 characters) If my message goes into 2 or more (ie:- 161 characters or more) I don't get one ??!! ;)

One thing I do like though, is when listening to music, you can put the phone in stand by and the music still plays, it's the first PPC I've seen that does this? :D

Guest rickyburke
After almost two weeks of using the TyTN II overall I'm very pleased :D

A couple of minor annoyances though :wub:

Firstly, when listening to music, I get a random "stutter" every few minutes. It's only a little glitch but does bug me whenever it does it??!!

Secondly, I always like to get an SMS delivery report. It seems that my Kaiser for some reason will only give me a report if the SMS I've sent is only 1 message long (ie:- 160 characters) If my message goes into 2 or more (ie:- 161 characters or more) I don't get one ??!! ;)

One thing I do like though, is when listening to music, you can put the phone in stand by and the music still plays, it's the first PPC I've seen that does this? :D

Could be the bitrate on the encoded music being slightly too high, or just the phone naturally using processor power for other things.

Try putting it on flight mode and see what effect that has on the music stuttering.

Guest Simon Desser
Could be the bitrate on the encoded music being slightly too high, or just the phone naturally using processor power for other things.

Try putting it on flight mode and see what effect that has on the music stuttering.

I should have mentioned really, the bitrates are really low (I like to cram as much music on my card as I can ;) ) The files are all 64kb WMA's or OGGs. It's the same whether playing back with WMP or TCPMP, and every other HTC device I've used (which is most of them) doesn't do this <_<

I'll try flight mode and see if it still does it though. Cheers!