The 'I got my Vario III' thread

Guest rickyburke

I received mine this morning. I didn't receive any CDs with it (no disaster), no manual, no screen protector and no spare stylus. Is this normal?

The only thing I'd really have wanted was a spare stylus - I'll be getting a decent protector from ebay, downloading an updated Activesync is not a chore, and the manual would probably go straight in the cupboard anyway ;)

Guest TomaHawk

well after being turned by t-mobile credit deartment on the phone not cos i had bad credit just cos i didnt have any.

then went into the store and they said it doesnt come out for 5 weeks and said i was LYING!

then read that scancom had a couple a few post up. so rang em up thinking theyd be sold but luckily they had 2 left still. new they were good as they were who i got my vario from 2 years ago

and they did me a sweet deal.

flext 25 web and walk after t-mob quoting me 180 they did it for 80. should have it by tuesday! so stoked.

went for the 18th month in the end i saved like 50 quid and figured. what is this phone lacking!?!? cant hink or any other features i would want.

Just got mine. £100 on upgrade on 12 month £35 a month tariff (including wnw pro).

Liking it so far, but having severe problems holding onto a signal in the SE1, London region. I think i work in a borderline 3g area, and it seems to find 3g, lose it, then connect to 2g, then realise it has 3g again.

so far, its spend around 50% of the time its been on trying to get a signal (ie, offline). Attempting a data connection (or voice call) seems to be what triggers it to drop off the 3g network.

My old hermes was (normally) fine in exactly the same place.

Then I put my sim back into the hermes, and the hermes couldnt connect either (on 2g or 3g), so looking like a network glitch to welcome my new handset to tmob... sods law that the network goes funny when I get a new phone (happened last time as well).

Cant really tell if its gonna be a problem until used it for a week or so... it took me a week to finally resign myself to the fact the g900 has crap wireless performance...

The screen is a fraction smaller than the hermes, so my screen protector will need chopping a bit.

Very impressed with GPS tho - got a fix at my desk, today when its really rainy. The AGPS fast fix seems to work, and its happy to run Mapopolis, TomTom and google maps at the same time with positioning working in all of them.

Quite like the HTC home screen plugin as well - i think thats gonna be very useful.

I really hope the 3g/2g offline thing is just a glitch in the network today... its a nice handset.

Not too impressed with the touch flo scrolling tho - tried it in IE, and it went click-click-click and scrolled for about 10 seconds... maybe you can set it up so one gesture == one screens worth...

update - 3g internet seems to be working now on HSPDA... got a 2 bar signal (was 4 bars earlier)... maybe the wet weather is affecting the performance?

Initial conclusion: Improved version of hermes (doh!) with a few nice touches, like proper stylus, better keyboard, keyboard shift led's, cover over SD slot (YES!)... Possibly dodgy connection (probably network issue with HSPDA i would imagine, as my hermes struggled to connect as well)...

very, very big shame about lack of vga screen - that would have topped it off perfectly... still tempted to keep my g900 for its lovely screen and put up with lack of signal / poor battery / no gps.

What I really want is the Ameo in a smaller form factor (maybe without the daft hard disk in it). Maybe the Omni will be the holy grail?? if its the same size as the universal, I could live with that, but the ameo was just daft in that you couldnt use it as a phone without a bt headset...

Guest rickyburke
then went into the store and they said it doesnt come out for 5 weeks and said i was LYING!

Which store? If its near me ill go in at the weekend and see what they say, lol.

Guest TomaHawk

bath

i said i was in the process of ordering on the phone after confirmed stock and got cut off.

and they said no thats not possible then i said i know of atleast 100 ppl with them (ppl on here) and they just said thats a lie.

Guest Paul (MVP)

We should get as many of us as possible to go in there at the same time with our VIIIs ;)

P

well after being turned by t-mobile credit deartment on the phone not cos i had bad credit just cos i didnt have any.

then read that scancom had a couple a few post up. so rang em up thinking theyd be sold but luckily they had 2 left still. new they were good as they were who i got my vario from 2 years ago

and they did me a sweet deal.

flext 25 web and walk after t-mob quoting me 180 they did it for 80. should have it by tuesday! so stoked.

went for the 18th month in the end i saved like 50 quid and figured. what is this phone lacking!?!? cant hink or any other features i would want.

bath

i said i was in the process of ordering on the phone after confirmed stock and got cut off.

and they said no thats not possible then i said i know of atleast 100 ppl with them (ppl on here) and they just said thats a lie.

I think I've mentioned, but usually high street shops are occupied by bunch of idiots, who know nothing beyond the breast size of their female-colleagues at work. ;P

They're back in stock! 72 remaining, minus 1 ;)

better be quick...

What a star, have seen this i have just rang up and ordered one. At 5.25pm they had 46 in stock. Just got it on upgrade for £79.99 plus postage charge of £5.

I get to keep my web & walk 200 with discounts so paying under £20 per month.

Thanks Mate.

Get them while there hot!!!!

Guest TomaHawk
I think I've mentioned, but usually high street shops are occupied by bunch of idiots, who know nothing beyond the breast size of their female-colleagues at work. ;P

unfortunately she wasn't that hot. so couldn't up lift my disappointment of them not having the phone.

but its on its way now so couldn't care less.

Guest PJDelaney
OK, it was third time lucky for me! After seeing more people on here get it tonight I thought I'd give it another go, went to upgrades and finally managed to get through to someone who knew. Got mine for £40 on Flext 30 with W&W over 18 months, here on Friday, can't wait. Said it was definitely the Vario III and not the Compact as there's a massive difference between the two. When we were finished he said that stock levels were at 2 left. Good luck to everyone, if you get someone who doesn't know about it just say goodbye and try again.

After just sneaking in with the third one left Wednesday evening but too late for delivery on Thursday I've been watching the clock all day at work so I could run home, pick up my parcel card and get down the depot to pick it up. The replies on here of people ordering on Thursday and getting their today just made me jealous (but happy) and seemed to slow the day even more! So I get home and what do I find...a big fat NOTHING! Straight on the phone to upgrades and they tell me my order was cancelled for no particular reason at all yesterday!

Re-ordered again for delivery tomorrow 8am-1pm but am off out to see We Will Rock You up in London so having to leave the house before 1pm, am praying it turns up early as I'm not back til after the PO shuts and then thats me without my Kaiser until Monday night, after all these months I'm not sure I can bear another couple of days! I was waiting for them to cap it all off by saying there was no stock til next week but thankfully it seems to be still in-stock. Hope everyone is enjoying theirs.

woo, got mine! missed the postie when i left for work by literally 2 mins! but just collected, on charge and ready to get cameraware installed for my long drive tomorrow ;) havent been this excited over a phone since the vario 1 lol

Mine arrived just after lunch along with a separate delivery from mobymemory with my 6Gb micro SDHC card. Looks fantastic, my first impression coming from an MDA PRO background was "look at how small it is" Its not really any bigger than my Virgin Lobster phone !

Seems a bit hit and miss with the GPS reception though, had it locking within seconds indoors at work but nothing in the car on the way home (not the windscreen either, I have an old car without any fancy metal buried in the glass). Suppose it could just be atmospheric, or GWB pissing around with the switch to the satellites.

apparently these have weaker chipsets then sirf3 :/

I'm waiting for monday until o2 switch my old contract number to o2 payg and I'm on the phone to tmob to order vario3 !!!

Did anyone get it for less than a £100 on a 12 month contract and less then £30 a month?

Edited by predo1

Guest magic_alex

well im a lot happier with T-mobile tonight

Refused their offer of £100 for the handset & called the upgrades team tonight

Ive settled for 12month Flext 35 with Web & Walk £42.50 p/m and the handset only set me back fifty notes

Only bad point is i missed the cut off for next day deliveery by ten mins so now have to wait til tuesday for delivery to work

(20 left by the way!)

Guest Gerald.D

Damn. Can't make my mind up on this.

I'm on F35W+. Currently out of contract, having moved from a Vario II to an HTC 3600 to an iPhone.

Just offered a Vario III for £80, which seems pretty damn stingy given some of the other deals being mentioned here. I guess if I tried I could knock them down a bit on this.

My head is screaming 'get the Vario III', my heart is saying 'stick with the iPhone'.

ARGH!

I fully expect you fine lot to rip some sense into me in the next hour or so ;)

Guest Phil Lee

I'm so impressed with the Vario III after having a Vario since November 2005. It feels fast, especially when it boots up, and 3H web browsing is fantastic. Couple that with GPS and I think it's a winner of a phone. The only thing that could make it better is a VGA screen.

Guest nickynoodles

I called T-Mobile upgrades and they quoted me £200 to upgrade to the kaiser. Ouch

I'm guessing this is because I'm a low usage user. I currently have ongoing 1/2 price line rental so I get 100min, 50txt, WebnWalk for £20/mo. I usually keep within those limits.

The guy wouldn't budge on that price and said I could move over to Flext30/WnW (£32.50/mo) and the phone would cost £180.

I saw someone else here get quoted £280 :|

The guy on the phone did say if I wait till the Vario III is on their site he'd be able to price match a new user plan. Maybe I should wait until then. Any ideas?

The guy on the phone did say if I wait till the Vario III is on their site he'd be able to price match a new user plan. Maybe I should wait until then. Any ideas?

providing new user plans will be more attractive.... which is what I'm hoping for being forced to wait until next week with ordering mine!

They've got some in stock this morning!

Just phoned up, new customer, Flext 30 (£90 allowance) with web and walk plus = £37.50 a month, phone for £109. There was a discrepancy, that was the handset price with web+walk, for some reason with w+w plus it went up to £139, but he did it for the lower price, so make sure you ask!

It'll be here on monday morning ;) :wub: :D

Let's hope my t-mobile experience is a good one!

Guest jharvey00

*sigh* Third call to customer services, third time I get quoted £280 upgrade despite being WnW 35.

I'm gonna give up I think...obviously not gonna budge on the outrageous price.

The fact thst your iPhone is upgraded as far as its ever going to be might help sway your decision. You know you're going to be looking on with envy as Apple release new features for the carrier locked phones. I hope you've disabled auto firmware update for your phone.

Damn. Can't make my mind up on this.

I'm on F35W+. Currently out of contract, having moved from a Vario II to an HTC 3600 to an iPhone.

Just offered a Vario III for £80, which seems pretty damn stingy given some of the other deals being mentioned here. I guess if I tried I could knock them down a bit on this.

My head is screaming 'get the Vario III', my heart is saying 'stick with the iPhone'.

ARGH!

I fully expect you fine lot to rip some sense into me in the next hour or so ;)

Guest varioIII-lover

hi there folks. just adding what deal i got 2 days ago. i had called up previously and done the credit check and did the application all was left was to choose the phone and 12 or 18 month contract length and i was good to go. but the vario III wasn't out yet! told to call the next day, which i did, quite early in the day, which i was glad i did ..

called the guy and he literally had to read up on the phone because he wasn't familiar with the plans and the handset price. i called back at the right time because there were three left and i went through with the 18 month contract with vario III after thinking of doing the htc touch instead.

i got the vario 3 for 70 quid, 18mth contract, free weekend calls, 900 mins and unlimited web n walk for 37.50 a month.

i just saw in the varioIII thread a guy wrote that he got free evening and weekends with the above flex plan? is that true?

my reasons for going for this so early was to get the free weekends deal because it runs out in a couple of days.

i have had my phone for a few days, great phone isn't it?! haven't tried slingbox yet but i have mail2web and i am enjoying push email, being on msn messenger, facebook and other things all at once. went out for a drive and google maps with tracking works really nice too as a freebie.

thanks very much guys and enjoy your vario IIIs!

varioIII-lover

PS one thing .. i am thinking of ordering this card ..

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/3438...er/Product.html

this is a 6gb micro sd, but are there any reports on the varioIII taking an 8gb one? and can anyone on this thread confirm after taking delivery of this particular card that it works and tests ok with the varioIII?

thanks again.

vIII-lover