The 'I got my Vario III' thread

Guest rickyburke

Guest magic_alex
*sigh* Third call to customer services, third time I get quoted £280 upgrade despite being WnW 35.

I'm gonna give up I think...obviously not gonna budge on the outrageous price.

Keep trying mate as disheartening as it may seem it really is luck of the draw as to who you speak to and as a result of that what deal you get.

the problem wth loyalty departments (if they're anything like the ones I've worked for in the past) is they're actually more concerned about handling call volume than employing well trained knowledgable staff in the first place hence the massive differences in the deals being discussed on here.

Guest FloatingFatMan

It's here! Whoohoo! Wasn't due till Monday but the postie delivered it this afternoon! ;)

Having fun playing with it, though took a little fiddling to get it to synch to Vista. Oh, and no Live Messenger makes me go :D. Oh well, Palringo works! :wub:

Guest varioIII-lover
Why do T-mobile take Windows Live out of it? Or was it never there in the HTC release?

i have windows live on mine .. :wub: there's a .cab file flying around somewhere .. message alerts with sound when you are messaged and messenger on the front dash of the fone where the clock is!

anyone with a heads up on the maximum microSD this baby will take? also can we post our favourite applications that we are using on the varIII?

;)

x VarioOOOOOOooo! III addict ..

Can someone give me a link to the Cab file as I am unable to find it to review it

You'll have to google it... it's not an official release by Microsoft and MoDaCo do not allow dodgy software discussion here.

Latest version of windows live is nice (official download from the Live beta). Does the version supplied with the TyTN II still force you to merge MSN contacts with outlook contacts when you sync hotmail?

Guest mighlani

Hi -

I am a newbie here. Great site btw!

I have just moved from Orange to T-Mobile on a 18months contract with Vario III (ofcourse). They gave me a great deal I think:

Flext 35 + Web n Walk Max + Free evening/weekend calls for £52.50 per month (incl. a £5 discount)

£8.99 insurance extra

Total: £61.49 per month

with the handset for £49.99 + delivery charge

I am now a proud owner of Vario III :-). Couple of questions ..

1) They have offered me a further £20 discount if I give them the name and no. of someone who is an existing T-Mobile customer on a monthly contract who has recommended me. That person will also get £20 taken off their bill, as far as my understanding. I need to however give them the details by Monday, 01 Oct. If anyone here wants to help me out, please get in touch.

2) There was no memory card with Vario III. I would be grateful if someone can recommend a meaty memory card for a reasonable price.

Many thanks

Migs

You'll have to google it... it's not an official release by Microsoft and MoDaCo do not allow dodgy software discussion here.

Sure thing I understand, however I am sure it must actually be on the handset afterall the microsoft direct push icon is in the comms manager, i just can't find where it is and how to activate it

No, the TyTN II version has the don't merge option, like our latest beta (i'm a tester too).

P

I think its funny that I have to use the windows live for WM5 devices beta to live services on WM6, probably breaking the beta license somewhere along the line. ;)

Sure thing I understand, however I am sure it must actually be on the handset afterall the microsoft direct push icon is in the comms manager, i just can't find where it is and how to activate it

That's used for exchange syncing too, not just hotmail.

Guest georgie.charles

Unlike the 'vanilla' version, we don't get any GPS software with our Vario IIIs. Does anyone have any suggestions for an economic solution. I'd rather like to use mine, not in a car (I have a stand-alone TomTom), but on foot in big cities. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks

Google Maps? YahooGo? Live Search?

P

Ive always found Mapopolis to be very good for on foot. Sadly a google for it makes it look like the product is being discontinued. It was (is) great, because it displays nice simple maps, which are accurate, and leaves a 'trail' of where you have been, which is dead handy for orienting youself with the map (i know I just walked that way, and there is my trail, so i can see which way 'that way' is. It was also quite cheap (£90 for western Eurpoe IIRC)

It also works very well with the Kaiser ;) :wub: :D so happy to have said goodbye to all those bluetooth connection unstability... the GPS on the kaiser just works, and seems very quick to aquire (im guessing its the quickgps, but its better than my sirf3 blutooth dongle).

Are there any other mapping programs that show a trail of where you have been? ive heard maybe microsoft pocket streets does it, has anyone tried it?

/loving the Kaiser

g

just registering my insurance with the phone, and noticed the IMEI on the box is different to the one on the phone when pressing *#06#... the phone has an extra 01 at the end... any ideas?

Guest Markda2000
Curious... Mine has too...

your IMEI should be 15 digits long, any additional digits at the end are not required for id purposes and can be ignored, however I cannot tell you what they are used for.

Guest blackice-original

Is there any way of disabling the password lock when you have programs like google maps running because I don't want to have to keep remembering to switch the lock back on and something happens to the phone

Guest georgie.charles

One more on GPS and maps. Paul, thanks, I'm trying Google maps, seems to work ok. But I think I'm right in saying that it downloads maps as you go - therefore requiring a live Internet connection. Now, when I go to NY, I don't want to pay some huge data roaming charge to do this, I'd rather download them in advance. Does any of the mapping products (preferably free or near-free!) allow you to do this?

Guest georgie.charles

And one other question. Any way of getting rid of the F-Secure anti-virus nag screen? Seems like one can't remove F-Secure as it's in ROM, but I'm not convinced of the need for anti-virus on a pocket device. (How much does it cost, anyway?)

Thanks

Guest Shuflie
And one other question. Any way of getting rid of the F-Secure anti-virus nag screen? Seems like one can't remove F-Secure as it's in ROM, but I'm not convinced of the need for anti-virus on a pocket device. (How much does it cost, anyway?)

Thanks

Just uninstall it, there no problem doing that.

Guest georgie.charles
Just uninstall it, there no problem doing that.

It doesn't appear on the Remove Programs list to uninstall, I guess one could just delete the file, but I suspect it'll leave bits of stuff around the place?