Problems with 3G on Kaiser

Guest evad

Welcome to our world...

Have to say that the new handset has been much more reliable so far with only one occurrence of the issue.

Although there are people saying this is a network issue, if the handset is not handling the situation properly then surely its a combination of the two that are not fit for purpose.

I've never experienced this with other handsets on T-Mobile UK.

I've been on the phone several time to t-mobile. Each time, they tell me that after looking at their systems they can tell me that there are no network problems or congestion in the nearby cell towers. I've been through their testing, like switching to GSM only and even once the call dropped while talking to the support fella. As to how to fix, they seem to think I'm imagining it i reckon. Their suggestion is to try the simcard in another phone, and see if its the simcard which has the problem... alas, this worked fine in the other phone suggesting the t-mobile vario III hardware has some 'issues'. I guess the next step is to replace the headset.

I have had the phone replaced and the issues seems to have gone.

Old hardware version (looking under battery cover):

DATE:061107(TB02)/EU

New phone:

date:090807(RB01)/EU

Hope this helps someone else one day.

I have had the phone replaced and the issues seems to have gone.

Old hardware version (looking under battery cover):

DATE:061107(TB02)/EU

New phone:

date:090807(RB01)/EU

Hope this helps someone else one day.

The 'newer' one looks like older code date wise (August?) - Looks like the TB02(November) was a T-Mobile specific code. Is RB01 a generic code?

The 'newer' one looks like older code date wise (August?) - Looks like the TB02(November) was a T-Mobile specific code. Is RB01 a generic code?

I think the dates are month,day,year. I had the phone in october.

I have TB02 on Kaiser which is 'generic', I mean from HTC, not T-Mobile.

I have TB02 on Kaiser which is 'generic', I mean from HTC, not T-Mobile.

Hmm, well I'm on the June-dated hardware mentioned above. I have to say I'm quite interested by a newer hardware revision! After all my complaining previously I decided to leave it a little while before changing the handset, but perhaps now i should get T-Mob to swap it...?

Anyone else confirm whether they have the same problem on the newer 090807(RB01)/EU (September I take it) revision?

Edited by AndyO

I think the dates are month,day,year. I had the phone in october.

That would explain it then!

Is the Kaiser easy to upgrade yourself, or does it need sending back?

I'm going to be ordering mine in the next 2 weeks, so I guess I should get the new f/w anyway.

I'm with AT&T in the US (Salt Lake City, Utah to be specific) Got the Tilt/Kaiser/TytnII at the beginning of October. The 3G data speeds were pretty impressive - actually faster on the DL than the office DSL connection but I started having issues with the data connections not connecting and calls not connecting the "ding ding ding" thing mentioned in the first post. If I force the connection to EDGE/GSM only instead of Auto (3G) it connects just fine. I checked under the battery cover and I have the 061107(TB02)/US version.

At any rate, called AT&T and they're sending me a new phone. I was worried that since it was over 30 days they wouldn't but I guess there's a year warranty on the AT&T tilt.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TristianX
To answer my own post, I spoke to them again this morning and they are sending a replacement handset.

Watch this space...

Can I ask what you said to T-Mobile to convince them to send you a replacement handset? They always try to get me to return my handset to a store and then wait for a repair?

Ok, I have received my phone back from repairs and it's working again. They installed Radio Rom 1.27.12.32 which seems to be the latest according to a thread on xda-developers. Will test my phone out in the coming days.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest karaulanov

I'm on Orange and have the same problem. Can't place a call(voice or video) when 3G is on. I had the same problem with my old SPV M3100 (HTC TYTN) phone. Then I thought the 3G coverage is low.

Did you get it repaired or find a solution at all?

Guest Nuke NiNe

Don't ask me how... or better why, but after I installed the bluetooth fix from HTC on my TyTN II, I have not had ONE disconnect over the last couple of weeks. It said something about 'disconnect fix' so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Give it a try - maybe this does the trick for you too.

Just thought I'd share that - 3G no running without disconnects.

Please, if you don't agree or believe that BT has nothing to do with the disconnects - that's cool, don't respond ;-)

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while since this thread started, but in the last 3 weeks ro so I've been getting this exact problem. Won't make any calls - gives the 3 beeps and drops. When I switch the phone off and on again it takes forever to find a signal. When it tries to connect to data it comes back saying it can't dial up and then the network signal drops out for a minute or so. Even when it does connect to data, 90% of the time it says it's connected but can't actually transmit/receive anything.

It's incredibly infuriating. I've had the phone since launch, so about 6 months now, and I'm on O2. It was working perfectly and now this. I've not installed anything new, it just suddenly broke.

Reading this thread, I was unsure if it was a network or hardware issue, but this seems to indicate it's hardware. My hardware version is the june release - 061107(TB02)/EU

So it looks like I need to send this baby back - question is, will I be able to get a replacement handset with the newer hardware? I bought it originally from SuperETrader, so should I contact them, or do I contact HTC since I've had it 6 months now? And if so, is there anything particular to mention to make sure they replace the handset?

Cheers for any help guys :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jimbouk
I know it's been a while since this thread started, but in the last 3 weeks ro so I've been getting this exact problem. Won't make any calls - gives the 3 beeps and drops. When I switch the phone off and on again it takes forever to find a signal. When it tries to connect to data it comes back saying it can't dial up and then the network signal drops out for a minute or so. Even when it does connect to data, 90% of the time it says it's connected but can't actually transmit/receive anything.

It's incredibly infuriating. I've had the phone since launch, so about 6 months now, and I'm on O2. It was working perfectly and now this. I've not installed anything new, it just suddenly broke.

Reading this thread, I was unsure if it was a network or hardware issue, but this seems to indicate it's hardware. My hardware version is the june release - 061107(TB02)/EU

I would try it on GSM first. If it works fine on GSM, try 3g in another location. If that works fine, then its O2's local 3g that is failing.