Problems with 3G on Kaiser

Guest evad

Since last few days I have noticed my Kaiser has serious problems with 3G coverage. Basically, when phone's band mode is set to Auto or WCDMA, I virtually cannot place any call, or use data. It works sometimes, but very rarely and unstable. I usually get 'beep beep beep' drop when try to place a call. It also searches for 3G signal quite looong time, before it actually use it after rebooting phone. When I switch to 2G - everything works perfect!

Initially I thought it's a network related problem, and even called T-Mobile's tech department, but guy said they have no problems from their end. So I did further investigation, and found out that my other 3G-enabled mobiles are working properly with T-Mobile's 3G, so it turned out to be actually problem with Kaiser itself. I've uninstalled applications that I installed recently - no luck. I've also noticed I still have 'Internet' tab in Phone settings, although I've uninstalled all VoIP-related applications quite a while ago, and now I can't see a way to get rid of it completely. But again - could VoIP traces be a problem for 3G specifically?? :-o

I'd rather avoid doing hard-reset to find out, so if anyone else have experienced similar problems with 3G in their Kaisers, or maybe you know how to remove VoIP remainings from the system - please reply. Thanks.

Since last few days I have noticed my Kaiser has serious problems with 3G coverage. Basically, when phone's band mode is set to Auto or WCDMA, I virtually cannot place any call, or use data. It works sometimes, but very rarely and unstable. I usually get 'beep beep beep' drop when try to place a call. It also searches for 3G signal quite looong time, before it actually use it after rebooting phone. When I switch to 2G - everything works perfect!

Initially I thought it's a network related problem, and even called T-Mobile's tech department, but guy said they have no problems from their end. So I did further investigation, and found out that my other 3G-enabled mobiles are working properly with T-Mobile's 3G, so it turned out to be actually problem with Kaiser itself. I've uninstalled applications that I installed recently - no luck. I've also noticed I still have 'Internet' tab in Phone settings, although I've uninstalled all VoIP-related applications quite a while ago, and now I can't see a way to get rid of it completely. But again - could VoIP traces be a problem for 3G specifically?? :-o

I'd rather avoid doing hard-reset to find out, so if anyone else have experienced similar problems with 3G in their Kaisers, or maybe you know how to remove VoIP remainings from the system - please reply. Thanks.

Same story for me. Started last night - can't place the calls and get beep-beep sound. Everything is fine on 2G. I'm on T-mobile as well, I think it's the network. I'm in London area btw.

Same story for me. Started last night - can't place the calls and get beep-beep sound. Everything is fine on 2G. I'm on T-mobile as well, I think it's the network. I'm in London area btw.

Did you fiddle with VoIP on Kaiser at all before that problems started to happening? What applications did you install recently?

My test was quite simple: T-Mobile's sim card in Kaiser, 3G coverage, place a call, beep-beep-beep straight away - three times a row. I take sim card off Kaiser and put into Nokia E61 - 3G coverage, place a call, connected - three times in a row.

At the same time, the other sim card (Polish sim on roaming in T-Mobile UK) - placing calls in E61, no problems. Swapped to Kaiser, and beep-beep-beep again.

I might try Vodafone or any other UK-based operator sim card in the evening, before I actually do hard-reset (I really hate to do this!).

Did you fiddle with VoIP on Kaiser at all before that problems started to happening? What applications did you install recently?

My test was quite simple: T-Mobile's sim card in Kaiser, 3G coverage, place a call, beep-beep-beep straight away - three times a row. I take sim card off Kaiser and put into Nokia E61 - 3G coverage, place a call, connected - three times in a row.

At the same time, the other sim card (Polish sim on roaming in T-Mobile UK) - placing calls in E61, no problems. Swapped to Kaiser, and beep-beep-beep again.

I might try Vodafone or any other UK-based operator sim card in the evening, before I actually do hard-reset (I really hate to do this!).

My kaiser is very "vanila" setup. Not played with VOIP. I've only TomTom and Google maps installed.

Just tried placing a call on 3G - still the same beep-beep. (12.54pm 27.09.07)

Maybe T-Mobile blocked all Kaisers in London because of too much internet browsing or something ;)

Can anyone else confirm?

Maybe T-Mobile blocked all Kaisers in London because of too much internet browsing or something :huh:

Can anyone else confirm?

I'm starting to suspect if there is any relation with the fact that Kaiser has HSDPA 3.6 Mbit/s, while Nokia E61 - for instance - just 'regular' 3G/UMTS...?

Definitely I need to check other operators sim cards.

I'm starting to suspect if there is any relation with the fact that Kaiser has HSDPA 3.6 Mbit/s, while Nokia E61 - for instance - just 'regular' 3G/UMTS...?

Switching off HSDPA (Start -> Settings -> Connections -> HSDPA) didn't help.

I did another test - put my Polish roaming sim card into Kaiser, manually selected Orange (the only, next to T-Mobile, network which allows 3G access while roaming), and tried to connect (x3). Result - beep beep beep. Switch to 2G - no problems. ON ORANGE! :(

Well, I guess I'm not going to avoid hard-reset tonight... :(

Start>Settings>Connections>Gprs Setting>Gprs-Setting> then changing the Class in there.

It's changing authentication method, not 'class'. To be honest, I have never ever had to change anything there... :-o

Anyway, by some reason I am now able to place calls over 3G again! I've changed value from PAP to CHAP, but it doesn't matter, as now 3G voice works with PAP as well. However, I need to wait and test more, as I mentioned before - *sometimes* calling works ok. After an hour or so I could end up with 3G-dead phone again... :(

Guest rickyburke

You change the class by clicking the right tab at the bottom, "gprs-setting" thats where you change the class.

Then again, i havent got the device, im working from a generic WM6 Rom

Edited by rickyburke

You change the class by clicking the right tab at the bottom, "gprs-setting" thats where you change the class.

There is no such tab. :(

Anyway, the joy of making voice calls over 3G has gone after just few minutes, when I left work and was on my way home. Now I'm back home and going to play around with Vodafone sim card and their 3G, and then do hard-reset...

Played around a bit, results with following sim cards:

T-Mobile - drops

Vodafone - works (but it was searching for signal very very looong time)

Three - works

T-Mobile (back) - works (!)

I have decided to do hard-reset, however, as I wanted to make sure there is no trace of VoIP left in device.

straight after HR - works

after few apps reinstalled and soft-reset - works

another portion of apps/settings - works

after final settings and all favorite apps reinstalled - works

HOWEVER...

I've ran TomTom to get GPS fix, and just after that - 3G dead again, calls dropped...

I am completely confused now. Once it works, other time it doesn't, other 3G phones are working fine.. and I'm going mad about this! :( I don't know what to think and where to get solution for it. Aaargghh..

Edited by evad

Guest NuShrike

AT&T 3G here.

o called voicemail over 3G fine...

o called friend on T-Mobile USA over 3G fine...

o didn't try calling with Softbank/Vodafone sim (although it works dandy) when my friend was over the other day

Only VoIP I have installed is Skype and Gizmo.

I do get really iffy volume drops on the 3G to 2G tower switchover. At least it doesn't drop me as 2G on the SE t637 used to over this spot where I usually get dropped.

additional:

Turned off WiFi, ran PIE, the phone is in HSDPA data mode, called my voicemail while still in HSDPA mode, no call droppage.

Waited a few seconds, phone switches to 3G mode, still in data mode, called my voicemail, no call droppage.

Edited by NuShrike

Guest dolbe666

ok did a test using T-mobile. made sure it was connected to 3G and made a call, it went through fine but dropped to 2G to make the call. second time made sure there was an active 3G connection through my browser and made a call, it connected fine but dropped to 2G. so what im guessing is t-mobile does voice calls in 2G only and your problem is the phone not switching to 2G to make the call wich causes the call not to go through

oh just to add, im using t-mobile uk in south yorkshire

Edited by dolbe666

Hi,

Ok, I have hard reseted my device last night and it's all working now. Very weird and annoying but at least now it works. I can place calls using 3G and internet is ok.

I have no idea what has caused it the only unusual thing I remeber was that the night before the problem started by battery drained about 50% overnight. Someone had suggested that it might be the network upgrade or something, maybe it caused the device to lock up. I'm guessing here.

dt11

Ok, I have hard reseted my device last night and it's all working now. Very weird and annoying but at least now it works. I can place calls using 3G and internet is ok.

I just did another hard reset to find out if problem is going to persist on 'vanilla' device (with no extra software installed, whatsoever), and guess what - 3G calls DIDN'T WORK from the very first try! :((((

I think there is faulty radio/antenna/whatever... Today is exactly 28th day after purchase and the last day when I can claim replacement straight from the vendor. I think I'm going to take that chance, call handtec.co.uk and ask for replacement.

I have no idea what has caused it the only unusual thing I remeber was that the night before the problem started by battery drained about 50% overnight. Someone had suggested that it might be the network upgrade or something, maybe it caused the device to lock up. I'm guessing here.

I was the one, who suggested it could be network problem, as I've had exactly same thing. But then I didn't know that problem has actually nothing to do with network... Btw, if you set mode to Auto, you would probably notice that phone is switching between 3G/2G back and forth - this is why battery drains so fast...

I did further 3 hard-resets, after which I even prevented Network Setting Wizard to run, and in all cases I could place just ONE, SINGLE (!) 3G call out of dozens, zillions of tries - also on Vodafone. Definitely hardware issue.

So I've called handtec and obtained RMA form. I'm going to send back my Kaiser tomorrow with special delivery. Unfortunately, guy on the line said they reserve up to 14 working days for repair/replacement, which means I probably won't have Kaiser in my hands during holiday abroad that I'm going to next Friday (I was looking forward to take lots of pictures with Kaiser and send it off for free via MMS)... Shame! :(

This must be a hardware issue as I have been using my pre-production model for a few months now on tmobile. And my final product for a few days and have no problems at all over 3G on tmobile. I work in london also and travel from surrey every morning with no trouble with drop calls. Hope you get it back soon.

This must be a hardware issue as I have been using my pre-production model for a few months now on tmobile. And my final product for a few days and have no problems at all over 3G on tmobile. I work in london also and travel from surrey every morning with no trouble with drop calls. Hope you get it back soon.

Mine was working fine with 3G for quite a long time, too. I have no idea why it just started to happening one day. I didn't drop it on the floor. I didn't fiddle with ROM/RadioROM/whatsoever. Moreover - the most interesting thing is that problem is completely intermittent - like once per 50 tries I'll get connection. No logic at all!

Arrghh. I just regret I didn't spot that problem earlier, as I don't mind waiting up to 2 weeks for repair/replacement, but I was really hoping to get Kaiser on holiday. Now I don't think it's possible and I'm stuck with Nokia E61 without camera :|

Im was getting the same thing this morning 28th sept, (London, SE1 area), exactly what you are describing. This is on a virgin Vario III from T-Mob. Happened from when I got it (at 2ish) to about a hour ago.

The same thing happened when I first got my VArioII - the network went kaput that day as well... just sods law i think

My hermes also couldnt connect, so maybe TMob are doing something to their network? maybe upgrading for hUpda or whatever it is the vario III does but not the II?

Seems to have magically fixed itself for now (knock)...

will update

g

Im was getting the same thing this morning 28th sept, (London, SE1 area), exactly what you are describing. This is on a virgin Vario III from T-Mob. Happened from when I got it (at 2ish) to about a hour ago.

The same thing happened when I first got my VArioII - the network went kaput that day as well... just sods law i think

My hermes also couldnt connect, so maybe TMob are doing something to their network? maybe upgrading for hUpda or whatever it is the vario III does but not the II?

Seems to have magically fixed itself for now (knock)...

Magic, you say. I've just switched back to 3G and... out of 9-10 tries, only 2 were NOT successful!

Maybe in fact T-Mobile is doing something with their network, but why Kaiser refuses to work properly with other sim cards then? I'm extremely confused now, but on the other hand I really do not wish to send my Kaiser back...

Hang on, let me try again... 3 tries - all success! What the hell is going on here?! :|

EDIT: another 3/3 success. I bet it will stop working again after less than an hour (or hopefully not)... will update later.

EDIT 2: of course - back to 'normal'. All connections dropped. :( But before that I've spoken with very friendly lady from T-Mobile's tech support (surprisingly - connection took 28 minutes and was carried over 3G all the time!), who couldn't sort the problem out specifically, but was pretty aware in 'technical' means. However, she said one quite interesting thing - as Vario III or TyTN II (she actually knew the difference between them :) are quite new phones on the market, they also are not completely aware of possible issues they might have with these devices. She said it could take couple of weeks, when they start to get returns from customers, along with feedback, so they could investigate further. This makes sense, actually... But on the other hand, I cannot place calls over 3G again. DOH!

Edited by evad

Guest Nuke NiNe

I've got same issue.

When on 3G, calls drop; when on GRPS, no issue.

I can add to your findings: I had exactly the same problem on my previous TyTN (Hermes), using various radio versions.

And, a colleague with a Hermes - ditto.

Sounds like combination of setting & network.

Kaiser, ROM 1.56.405.5, Radio 1.27.12.11

Network: Sympac (which is KPN) Netherlands

• 3 weeks later...

Returning to this quite old topic after my two-weeks holiday in Greece (which was lovely, btw) - once I've got back home, brand-new replaced Kaiser was waiting for me and there were no 3G-issues, whatsoever. Now I'm using it third day with T-Mobile's 3G and there are no problems, still. Woohoo! :D What a relief...