Daft irritations thread

Guest ginnermark

Guest wizzzard
The Vario III comes with HTC X-Button pre-installed. This allows you to configure the way the X button works. You can set it up so that the X closes programs with a tap or a tap and hold. You can also create a list of exclusive programs not affected by X-Button. All in all it seems an excellent little program.

Didn't realise it came as standard on the Kaiser. it is quite useful isn't it?

Not as useful as pBar1.4. This also gives you wifi bluetooth phone on/off and more.

Guest Confucious
Not as useful as pBar1.4. This also gives you wifi bluetooth phone on/off and more.

Tried that but the version they put in the Black Touch ROM for the Athena had bugs. Am now using WKTask which I quite like.

Guest the_ape
Have a look on XDA-Developers.com there is an application(control panel) that will change the contact name order for you on the fly.

I checked but could not locate the program. Please asssit further.

No problems, here it is http://www.pdamobiz.com/forum/PDAforum_pos...37053&PN=97 FileAsFL.cab is FirstnameLastname LF is obviously the other way round....

Guest sc0user_75

Just realised this daft irritation this morning...

If you have the keypad locked, when you hit the Unlock Soft Button before hitting the unlock section on the screen, the screen does not light up. So, in outdoor use you really have to look hard at the phone to see where the unlock section is on the screen.

I'm sure eventully I'll know exactly where to press on the screen, but until then I'll just look like a weirdo looking confusingly at my phone everytime I want to unlock it!

Guest Webreaper

That's not daft, it's sensible. If every time the screen was touched when locked, the backlight came on, your battery would be flat after 30 minutes in your pocket!

Guest sc0user_75
That's not daft, it's sensible. If every time the screen was touched when locked, the backlight came on, your battery would be flat after 30 minutes in your pocket!

That's why only the Unlock Softkey should allow the screen light to come on. Say you wanted to unlock the phone in a very dark place... how will you manage easily? You;ll have a couple of fumbled attempts before finally managing to unlock the blighter :I

Guest Nick72
Thanks Lads for the replies and tips.

Tullnet, I almost sussed the keylock thing out myself - just was a little blind about what the words on the screen actually meant!!

;) You weren't the only one, the keylock thing annoyed me and I also looked at the "Key Lock" screen in Settings and what it said didn't sink in here either.

Another thanks for the replies and tips, this thread hasn't been just annoyances, couple of top tips here!

Guest Rush242

OK, this is my first time with a PPC, so feel free to jump on me if I am nuts.

When I go into Contacts, it shows me a list of them, fine.

When I tap one of the, I get the Summary screen, with a tab for Notes.

However, there is no tab for Details there. Ideally, when I tap a contact, it should show the Summary screen, with a tab for Details, and a tab for Notes.

Instead, I have to tap Notes, then tap Edit, then tap Details if I want to change something on the fly.

So, is there a way to put that tab where it belongs? Or am I just missing something here? I mean, it CERTAINLY isn't intuitive at all that way.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Is it just me or can you get the calendar on the homescreen to display the day as well as teh date? Was on by default on WM5

iirc put "dd" without the "'s in your short date format in regional settings

Guest sc0user_75

A few more to add to the list:

- You can't select more than 1 contact at a time to delete or bluetooth as vcard etc

- Carrying on from this some-what - you can't select more than 1 contact at a time to send an email or text. You have to select one. Then go back in and select another. Then another. Pretty darned annoying if you wanna send to more than 10 people!

Guest ginnermark
Instead, I have to tap Notes, then tap Edit, then tap Details if I want to change something on the fly.

So, is there a way to put that tab where it belongs? Or am I just missing something here? I mean, it CERTAINLY isn't intuitive at all that way.

That's exactly what I mean by a daft irritation. Most people will probably answer with "install a 3rd party app". Same as if I moan about the clock - why is the alarm function so basic? To get any decent functionality I seem to be expected to install something else. That's the major failing of this platform I think. Don't get me wrong: it is, on the whole, great, but its MS heritage isn't exactly hidden away.

Guest ginnermark

Ok, try this: lock the phone. Go to enter the PIN and see there are two softkey options: unlock and menu.

Select menu. Menu lists one on item: cancel.

Now just how nobby is that?

;)

Edited by ginnermark

Guest Webreaper
That's exactly what I mean by a daft irritation. Most people will probably answer with "install a 3rd party app". Same as if I moan about the clock - why is the alarm function so basic? To get any decent functionality I seem to be expected to install something else. That's the major failing of this platform I think. Don't get me wrong: it is, on the whole, great, but its MS heritage isn't exactly hidden away.

But that's the joy of the platform. MS are never going to get alarm functionality right for everyone - but at least you can almost always find/install an app which will do what you want/need.

Just be glad you don't have an iPhone where you install the app to make the phone do what you want, and at the next update Apple wipes the software off again!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sc0user_75

Shock horror - Im using a Vario III. It's a UK model. And it doesn't have the £ (pound) sign on the touchscreen keyboard... or slideout keyboard!!

Guest sc0user_75
Hold down the accent key and it's where the 5 was - at least on the std on screen keyboard on my Ameo.

Spot on mate. It would be good if it were possible to get rid of the $ sign for UK users and replace with the £ sign when you press the Shift button.